• 15 6 78912
  • Page
  • Text Only
hinsdale said:   schallb said:   Be careful. The refund is only available for one year. After that, you lose it. Also, you must ship photon back in original packaging. Be careful, the terms and condition favor them and we get little leeway to make a mistake!

Can you point out where it says either of these things or how you came upon this info?

That is not in the TOS. Believe me I have read all three versions they have released in the past 2 weeks numerous times. However when I requested to return my Proton hotspot in one of the replies I was also told fees that are not in the TOS including a $9.95 return processing fee. Plus there is a reactivation fee should you return your FreedomPOP device and choose at some other time to get another. Here is the initial reply I got when I requested to return my Proton hotspot….

We are sorry to hear that you want to return your new Photon hotspot. We think it is a good idea to take advantage of the device and play around with it before deciding you want to return the device. Instead of returning your device, do you know of a friend who would be interested in free internet and taking over the device’s billing, instead?

We want to inform you that if you return your device, there is a $9.95 return processing fee. Plus we will immediately cancel your service and you will need to pay a reactivation fee if you decide you want to activate your account again.

If you are still firm on your decision and are not satisfied, we'd like to know what we can do to make your experience more positive! Otherwise, please confirm and we will arrange for the device to be returned and refund issued.

BTW My Proton I am returning was delivered back to them yesterday so lets see how long it takes to get a refund. Also for those that don't know in order to request ANY support with FreedomPOP you have to submit a support ticket which requires you create a FreedomPOP support account in addition to your regular FreedomPOP account and reply to support tickets through that site. You CANNOT do this through your main FreedomPOP account WTF? These guys are either totally incompetent or evil geniuses at creating red tape. To save others some time here is the direct link to create a support account and submit support tickets. It will save you several days of waiting for a reply from their CS to email you the link. FreedomPOP Support Desk

The Freedompop Ubee USB stick works on my Transformer Infinity TF700T android tablet with Jelly Bean using the Asus USB host adapter! It does not work in my house but only in the vicinity of New York City.

guho said:   The Freedompop Ubee USB stick works on my Transformer Infinity TF700T android tablet with Jelly Bean using the Asus USB host adapter! It does not work in my house but only in the vicinity of New York City.

I hadn't thought about that. The stick would probably have worked on my Nexus 7 (rooted and /w stickmount) and could have ordered the $50 stick vs. the $90 photon.

My support tickets do not require me to log into the support desk. In the message they say "Reply to this email or click the link below:"

I simply reply to the email. maybe a return is different, IDK. Good luck with your return, Keep us posted.

guho very interesting, wonder it it would work with a nexus 7.

I have been using the photon for a few days now, and while the rounding does have an impact, the data usage seems to be accurate for what i have used. One thing to consider is to use the Opera browser, as it compresses photos and will save significant data. Just as an example, I have been surfing the web for about 10 minutes, and the opera turbo monitor shows that opera was able to compress the data from 12.3mb down to 1.3mb. That would help stretch out the free 500mb.

BargainDragon said:   I have been using the photon for a few days now, and while the rounding does have an impact, the data usage seems to be accurate for what i have used. One thing to consider is to use the Opera browser, as it compresses photos and will save significant data. Just as an example, I have been surfing the web for about 10 minutes, and the opera turbo monitor shows that opera was able to compress the data from 12.3mb down to 1.3mb. That would help stretch out the free 500mb.

Cool .... but I guess it won't work on my Web OS HP Touchpad ...... 8^(

Wow, I peek my head in this thread and it's a mess.

Glad I didn't bite on this shady thing. Good luck all.

isdex said:   This is definitely a scam.....I have yet to receive my hotspot, but my account already stated that I used up 20mb....WTF!

Wow, this sounds wild. Please keep us informed as to what you find out from CS about this.

I want this to work, but I don't want to play all these games.

BargainDragon said:   I have been using the photon for a few days now, and while the rounding does have an impact, the data usage seems to be accurate for what i have used. One thing to consider is to use the Opera browser, as it compresses photos and will save significant data. Just as an example, I have been surfing the web for about 10 minutes, and the opera turbo monitor shows that opera was able to compress the data from 12.3mb down to 1.3mb. That would help stretch out the free 500mb.

No offense but their data calculations are not real time and a few hours or even a few days is not enough to make a valid assessment. Let us know how you feel in a couple of weeks when those unexplained data useage contiune to post to your account for session you already assumed were closed. For example I had a 10 minute session that originally posted as 2MB usage for that day but a week later jumped to 60MB. Anyway good luck. I am officially out of the deal since my has been returned and I already disputed the charge which posted on Friday

I dont know what you guys are talking about but here is my experience:

1. Got the device and opened it for the first time. Used it for 30 seconds. Data usage 10mb.
2. Was ready to send back the device after reading reviews here but decided to give it one more shot, especially, since I was travelling for next 5 days.
3. Used it again in 3 different cities and 2 different airports. This time however, I shut down most of the background processes including windows update, dropbox, Skype, messenger, other backups, Adobe update, and likes...
4. 30 minutes browsing, mostly email and web browsing and used up only 50 mb. 3 days later... still shows 50mb.
5. My wife's device, used it for 30 minutes, email only.... 20 mb data used.

Besides, why would you guys do a chargeback? Did they refuse to refund your money? It is clearly spelled out in their TOS, if you are not satisfied, send the device back and you will get your money back.

I understand that this service may not be for everyone, but at least make sure it is not on your end, and give them a fair chance. If it still does not work or if they really are committing fraud, then sure chargeback is always an option.

Edit: Oh and one more thing. You can disable automatic top-off. That means that once you hit the 500mb limit, they will automatically shut you down. So I am not sure what do you have to lose.

I have one of the Photon Hotspot Device. It is surprisingly compact at about 2.75" x 2.75" x .30". If you are looking to protect it, the Tap Plastics Store has a hinged box that will fit it. It cost 95 cents and is about 1.75" in height so you can add a cleaning cloth or something else in the box.

I am looking for any FreedomPop(FP) users who would like to earn 10mb by becoming my "FreedomPop Friend". Just private message me the email account you used for your FP Account and I will send you a "friend request". Within the account accept the request and we will both earn an extra 10mb every month.

fatgoofy1 said:   I have one of the Photon Hotspot Device. It is surprisingly compact at about 2.75" x 2.75" x .30". If you are looking to protect it, the Tap Plastics Store has a hinged box that will fit it. It cost 95 cents and is about 1.75" in height so you can add a cleaning cloth or something else in the box.

I am looking for any FreedomPop(FP) users who would like to earn 10mb by becoming my "FreedomPop Friend". Just private message me the email account you used for your FP Account and I will send you a "friend request". Within the account accept the request and we will both earn an extra 10mb every month.

There's a slickdeals thread dedicated to this. You can get 50 friends instantly by pulling in their .csv file to your contact list. You'd probably want to change the FPop email address to something else before you join that fun.

starcrossed said:   I dont know what you guys are talking about but here is my experience:

1. Got the device and opened it for the first time. Used it for 30 seconds. Data usage 10mb.
2. Was ready to send back the device after reading reviews here but decided to give it one more shot, especially, since I was travelling for next 5 days.
3. Used it again in 3 different cities and 2 different airports. This time however, I shut down most of the background processes including windows update, dropbox, Skype, messenger, other backups, Adobe update, and likes...
4. 30 minutes browsing, mostly email and web browsing and used up only 50 mb. 3 days later... still shows 50mb.

Besides, why would you guys do a chargeback? Did they refuse to refund your money? It is clearly spelled out in their TOS, if you are not satisfied, send the device back and you will get your money back.

I understand that this service may not be for everyone, but at least make sure it is not on your end, and give them a fair chance. If it still does not work or if they really are committing fraud, then sure chargeback is always an option.

Edit: Oh and one more thing. You can disable automatic top-off. That means that once you hit the 500mb limit, they will automatically shut you down. So I am not sure what do you have to lose.

I think that some of the people doing a chargeback have pre ordered an iPod sleeve and are tired of waiting for it. I could be wrong about that. Others have claimed that the Photon was sent to the wrong address. I received both of my photons eventually, though one went to an address that I was just checking coverage for and not to the address I entered during checkout.

As for Auto Top Off, if you disable it, you have to make sure you pay the inactivity fee if your schedule one month leads to you not using the hotspot at all.

JDubTrey said:   
As for Auto Top Off, if you disable it, you have to make sure you pay the inactivity fee if your schedule one month leads to you not using the hotspot at all.

The minimum you can add to your account is still $10 regardless if it is done via automatic top off or manually added.

starcrossed said:   I dont know what you guys are talking about but here is my experience:

LOL I was that naive too at first....

1. Their TOS no longer has any mention that you will receive your all your money back if you are not satisfied. The curent TOS states you can cancel and return the device to get back your deposit less any monies owed for overages incurred.
2. You can't simply file a chargeback at any time as you imply so a chargeback is NOT always an option. Federal law only provides 60 days from the posting date to file a chargeback. Even then FreedomPOP's TOS has an mandatory arbitration clause in lieu of a chagreback you agree to when yo usign up for their service so depending on your credit card a chargeback may or may not even be an option.
3. Using the device a couple of times and then checking a couple of days later is not enough time to make valid judgement on final data usage. I still have data usage updating for posted transactions that occured 10 days ago.
4. Returning your device is not as easy as you believe. You must first file a request their comment form using your main Freedompop account. You must wait several days for an initial reply which is basically a canned reply trying to convince you to keep the device. If you choose to continue with your return they send you a link a few days later to setup a support account on a third-party support site. This is NOT the same as your main freedomPOP account. Once you setup your new FreedomPOP support account you must start the reutrn process all over and get a support ticket. When you finally jump through all those hoops and get an actual RMA you must return your freedomPOP device complete with all original packaging and all original accessories at your expense. The RMA states returns missing any originally shipped packaging or accessories will be deducted from your deposit.
5. Avoiding overages is NOT as easy as just disabling the auto-top off feature, If you disable auto-top off the device does NOT magically shut off when your monthly limit is reached. You will still be able to use the device and continue to incur usage at the per/mb overage rate you agreed to in your selected FreedomPOP monthly plan plus a monthly overage fee amount they have yet to release. If you have no prior balance on your FreedomPop account to draw from they will add the necessary balance plus the overage fee billed to your your default billing method on your FreedomPOp account on your monthly billing date (found under your account details). If your default billing method fails they will deactivate your account and you have to pay reactivation fee plus the incurred overage before the device can be used again. If you have the auto-top off enabled you avoid the overage fee but you are still billed in $10 increments for the overage at your mothly plan rate at the time the overage(s) occur and you have no account balance. Unused balances carry forward for 60 days.

So you still think you have nothing to loose?

Still waiting for mine. I guess it's going back as soon as it arrives. Thx for all the valuable reviews

Here's the problem - the TOS *does* say I can return for a refund, however their website gives you no address to return to. When I go to the link where I'm supposed to use to return my device, it just sends me to their generic contact page where my only option is to send an e-mail that may or may not be replied to. Sent one again last week, just asking for an accurate return address (so they can't claim I sent it to the wrong place) and still haven't heard back.

To add to step 4 above, include a copy of your purchase in the return.

To kjl1977,

Log in here with the email you used to purchase the device and create a support ticket for a return. I think you have to create a new password too but keep the same email. Good luck and let us know if it works.
https://freedompop.zendesk.com

In the other forum this got a response for an RMA

"I got tired of arguing with them that there is no service (light green area); each response from them takes one day. So, I filed an FCC complaint and am also seeking help from my Credit Card (Visa). When I mentioned this, finally, I got an RMA number. If you have issues with the company, you may want to try it too."

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/form2000.action?form_type=200...

Something tells me this 'business', will be out of business, by the end of the year.

My device is working perfectly for me here in Seattle.
It uses typically about 1 to 2 MB in the 15 mins segments.
I use a Pixi+ (have only 10MB data on my PagePlus plan)
plus a $30 ZTE Score without a phone plan, plus tablets.
I get email, maps, bus arrivals, some browsing, etc.
Used 29MN (6% of monthly allowance) in about 1 week.

I could not be happier!

Talki
does it take one to two days, as reported by others, for your acct to finally show the data amount used? Thanks.

It depends. Most the time I see the usage fairly soon after.
(Within a couple hours or so, have not paid much attention).
Sometimes I use it and there is not even an entry for that 15 min segment.

Example report:

Oct 14, 2012 5:30 PM Plan Usage 1 MB
Oct 14, 2012 4:00 PM Plan Usage 3 MB
Oct 13, 2012 5:15 PM Plan Usage 2 MB
Oct 13, 2012 5:00 PM Plan Usage 1 MB
Oct 12, 2012 6:30 PM Plan Usage 1 MB
Oct 12, 2012 12:00 PM Plan Usage 1 MB
Oct 12, 2012 10:45 AM Plan Usage 1 MB
Oct 11, 2012 2:30 PM Plan Usage 1 MB
Oct 11, 2012 2:15 PM Plan Usage 1 MB
Oct 10, 2012 11:45 PM Plan Usage 0 MB

Dfed said:   In the other forum this got a response for an RMA

"I got tired of arguing with them that there is no service (light green area); each response from them takes one day. So, I filed an FCC complaint and am also seeking help from my Credit Card (Visa). When I mentioned this, finally, I got an RMA number. If you have issues with the company, you may want to try it too."

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/form2000.action?form_type=200...

That's the best way to get their attention also complain to the BBB even though they are probably not a member it will still put some heat on them. I do this to rebate company's that don't want to pay.

I finally got around to testing out the hotspot device. I turned it on and used it to get driving directions to and from a restaurant using my phone. After finishing my lunch, I checked the usage. Shows I used 1MB out of 500 in the summary but usage details say no activity. I plan on leaving it in my car and having a micro usb wire handy to recharge when needed. For a casual user like me, this device is perfect. I'm really happy so far. If the plan goes on for at least 6 months, then I have gotten my money's worth.

hamtonp
let us know if the usage stays the same in a day or two. Hopefully the bug it gone that data usage gets posted a few days later. Thanks.

guho said:   The Freedompop Ubee USB stick works on my Transformer Infinity TF700T android tablet with Jelly Bean using the Asus USB host adapter! It does not work in my house but only in the vicinity of New York City.

How did it work? Was it Plug and Play?

I was able to dispue with my credit card company based on FreedomPop charging additional fees not originally disclosed at the time of signup or in the TOS effective when I signed up. For those of you still questioning those fees, below is the response I got when I was finally able to get an RMA from them. The only info I removed from the RMA email was the RMA number and the link to print the return label. I highlighted relevant feee info in the email not in their TOS. Pay close attemtion to the mandatory restocking fee of an amount yet to be disclosed that applies to ALL equiment returns in open box. That basically means everyone who tries theri service pays a yet undisclosed restocking fee! There was no mention of a prorated deposit refund in their website advertising or TOS. The verson of the TOS at the time I signed up states your equipment deposit will be refunded in full upon return of the device in working condition.

We’re sorry to hear you’re not satisfied with your FreedomPop device! We hope that you've changed your mind - but if you would still like to return your device, here’s what you need to do:

1) Re-package your device with it’s original carton of contents, original receipt of purchase, and affix the return address label (provided here: (link removed)

2) Please write your Return Material Authorization number (RMA#) provided by your FreedomPop support agent clearly on the outside of your box to ensure it will be processed without issue.

Your RMA# is (2 digit RMA number removed).

3) Once received, we will inspect the device to ensure the product is non-defective and in working order.

Devices subjected to neglect, misuse, liquid damage or non standard wear and tear are not eligible for our refund program.

Anticipate 12-14 business days for us to receive your device and fully process your refund. If your return is inspected and deemed working with original contents, you’ll receive a full refund minus a restocking fee if your package has been opened.

We really appreciate your business and support! If you have any additional questions, do not hesitate to call your Personal FreedomPop Support Agent at 888-743-8107.

I guess it's terms subject to change without notice.

@elektronic: Yes plug and play. Recognized as Ethernet and could point browser to 192.168.14.1 to see device status pages. Don't know why so many of you want to return it. For me it is a great backup mobile network.

guho said:   @elektronic: Yes plug and play. Recognized as Ethernet and could point browser to 192.168.14.1 to see device status pages. Don't know why so many of you want to return it. For me it is a great backup mobile network.
I agree...You really have to look at this for what it is and limit the expectations. I am holding on to mine for now; it's great to keep it as a back up and occassional usage - just need to keep up with and moderate you account activity.

received mine 2 days back and turned on today but forgot to turn off my iphone wifi during driving. only my iphone is connected to the device and I saw my usage online already. I have my iphone setup to pull emails every 15 minutes and I believe the usage is reasonable.

Oct 15, 2012 10:00 AM Plan Usage 5 MB
Oct 15, 2012 9:45 AM Plan Usage 4 MB
Oct 15, 2012 9:30 AM Plan Usage 4 MB
Oct 15, 2012 9:15 AM Plan Usage 1 MB
Oct 15, 2012 9:00 AM Plan Usage 0 M

With all these returns, FreedomPop, or somebody like Woot, will probably have a good deal on a load of "refurbs." Well, if FreedomPop is still around in a couple months.

After waited for 2 weeks I finally received the hotspot device. Plugged it in and all I am getting is flashing red light, and I am in the dark green area in the coverage map!

bestdealever2012 said:   So if you turn off the auto top off feature does that mean your data will stop when you reach 500mb and you wont be charged any fees?

I emailed the Freedompop support this question today and the following is their response.

Good Afternoon

The Auto top-up feature enables a $10 charge to your credit card on file when your activity goes over 400 mb in a month. This becomes a credit on your account. After the free 500mb, there is a 2 cent charge per megabyte of data that you use. If you choose to turn Auto top-up, we will not cut off your data once 500mb is exceeded. We will simply charge you for the megabytes that you use, rather than crediting your account. Let us know if you have any additional questions - we're here to help. Thank you for your support!

Another up date:

I wrote:
" If you choose to turn Auto top-up, " Not sure what you mean? did you leave out a on or off word in that sentence.

Their response:
Actually we've recently changed our data policy, if you disable Automatic Top-ups your data will be interrupted at your data limit until you purchase more. Sorry for the confusion.

Let us know if you have any additional questions - we're here to help. Thank you for your support!

Me again: so now it seems that you will be shutoff if you turnoff auto top up without being charged but who really knows until you try it.

bestdealever2012 said:   bestdealever2012 said:   So if you turn off the auto top off feature does that mean your data will stop when you reach 500mb and you wont be charged any fees?

I emailed the Freedompop support this question today and the following is their response.

Good Afternoon

The Auto top-up feature enables a $10 charge to your credit card on file when your activity goes over 400 mb in a month. This becomes a credit on your account. After the free 500mb, there is a 2 cent charge per megabyte of data that you use. If you choose to turn Auto top-up, we will not cut off your data once 500mb is exceeded. We will simply charge you for the megabytes that you use, rather than crediting your account. Let us know if you have any additional questions - we're here to help. Thank you for your support!

After reading this, I'm still not sure what they're going to do if auto top-up is turned off and you hit 500mb. Will the data be cutoff or will it continue to work and you'll owe the overages?

AccessGuy said:   
After reading this, I'm still not sure what they're going to do if auto top-up is turned off and you hit 500mb. Will the data be cutoff or will it continue to work and you'll owe the overages?

It will continue to use data and you owe for the overage data you used.

The only benefit I see to opting out of the Auto top-off is if you are using between 400 - 499 MB per month. With auto-top off your credit card will be charged $10, even though none of that $10 credit will need to be used for that particular month. If you opt out of auto-top off in this situation that $10 won't be charged..

On Friday, I turned it on and had all the lights confirmed that it was connected to a 4g network. I left it on charging from the wall for about 8 hours but never connected a device to the wifi network it was putting out. Its now monday, and my usage is still at 0mb.

After the initial large data usage things seem to tracking closer to actual use. I am wondering if the device did a firmware upgrade or something on first use? Anyone know of any "hacking" site for this device. Firmware dumps etc. Why? I also wonder if it is scanning for other wireless networks and reporting them upstream.

interesting news bit

link here

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014