• Text Only
edit double post.

elektronic said:   akbungle said:   elektronic said:   fanz50 said:   Anyone know if I can use the USB stick with an android tablet? (Iconia 500, ICS)

There is a ROM that supports 3G USB. I'm going to try it.

I thought the service was 4G only.

It is. My stick arrived. It is essentially a clearwire ubee atlas stick which is designed to support android via RNDIS, however, I could not get the ppp widget to find a driver for it.

Typing dhcpcd eth0 into terminal gets it recognized by the terminal.

Ifconfig eth0 yields the Mac address and ip address of the dongle, but I can't get internet access yet. I assume someone smarter than me will figure out full support.

Success. Got it to work by adding this to /etc/dhcpcd/dhcpcd.conf (you must have root):

Interface eth0
option subnet_mask, routers, domain_name_servers

Then, in terminal emulator:
su
dhcpcd eth0

That should get it working. Not all apps recognize the connection, but browser and Hulu Plus work. Maps and market do not.

Just an update. I'm very happy with this hotspot thing. I'm up 850MB / month by inviting friends.
I downloaded Waze GPS to try it out. A 30 minute drive with Waze on generated 2MB of usage. No big deal.

I have wireless at work and at home, so the only time I use this is in my car. I charged the hotspot when I first got it and have not needed to recharge it yet. The power still shows green. I turn it on when I'm in my car and turn it off when I leave. Used it for about 2.5 hours so far.

One downside is that the usage details is misses log data. It looks like the summary is correct but the details is not.
My summary shows 6MB used which I believe is correct, but the details display the following:
Date Time Source Data Used
Oct 16, 2012 5:00 PM Plan Usage 0 MB
Oct 16, 2012 4:45 PM Plan Usage 1 MB
Oct 16, 2012 4:30 PM Plan Usage 1 MB
Oct 15, 2012 8:00 PM Plan Usage 1 MB
Oct 15, 2012 11:30 AM Plan Usage 1 MB

In my experience Freedompop appears to report fairly accurate data usage with no leakage, but I think that Freedompop checks data usage every 15 minutes and rounds up to the nearest MB. So if a device pings the internet once every 15 minutes for 300kb for instance, then maybe Freedompop rounds it up to 1 MB every 15 minutes. Frequent browsing or Youtube should track data accurately, but wifi devices should have a power off disconnect feature to prevent extraneous pings. One 2-3 minute YouTube video used 11 MB for reference.

I rcv'd my yesterday and charged overnight. Today I turn it on to change the SSID and the password, did some light surfing for about 15 min, no video. I then turned it off. Later in the day, checked usage history which shows 4M used in the 15 minutes. My usage shows 5M used up (1%). I don't see how I can use up 5M in 15 minutes with very minimal surfing. At least no additional usage showed up when the router was off, at least none shown yet.

Update: I took my router with me when I left the house this morning. I manually sync my gmail and received 32 spam mail and 3 email. It probably took 5 or so minutes since the signal kept dropping. When I check my usage later in the day, it showed 1mb used. I know it doesn't take 1mb since I used Pageplus to manually sync my gmail. Pageplus charges $0.99/mb and I don't get charged anywhere close to $1.00. The only conclusion I could come to is they round up to 1mb.

According to the article below, the average size of a web page is almost 1mb. Of course that is for a page designed for computers, pages designed for mobile (tablets/phones) will be less.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/110099-the-web-in-2011-html5-dominates-flash-trouble-for-data-capped-mobile-surfers

hamtonp said:   Just an update. I'm very happy with this hotspot thing. I'm up 850MB / month by inviting friends.

There's a thread on a "slick" website (search for "Freedompop friends") which has a link to a Google spreadsheet with emails of Freedompop users who will join your friends list.

I got the extra 500 MB in 12 hours.

Here's what I did:
1. Download the Google spreadsheet.
2. Create a new GMail account.
3. Import the Google spreadsheet into GMail contacts.
4. On your account in Freedompop.com, go to Earn Free->Freedom Friends.
5. On the Invite Friends tab, put in the GMail address and password to import the contacts.
6. Wait for the friend acceptance.

Hadn't used mine for a week or so and tried it at work again today but it was so slow to respond that I finally gave up on it. Had all 3 Green lights with it 6" from my iPhone and tried a lot of different sites. I hope this is not a preview to how it's going to be.

Thanks vinster. This is exactly what I did. I'm up to the max 500MB earned free additional but my summary shows 0.98GB total. No idea why. Been like that for 2 days now.

I love this thing. Works great. I used inside the building at work to get to files that my workplace blocks. In my case google docs.
I hope they stay around for a long time.

vinster said:   hamtonp said:   Just an update. I'm very happy with this hotspot thing. I'm up 850MB / month by inviting friends.

There's a thread on a "slick" website (search for "Freedompop friends") which has a link to a Google spreadsheet with emails of Freedompop users who will join your friends list.

Here's what I did:
5. On the Invite Friends tab, put in the GMail address and password to import the contacts.
6. Wait for the friend acceptance.

I've had it for almost a week. It will be primarily staying in my car. So far, I like it a lot! I've cancelled the automatic top-up feature, but I haven't seen any usage that I disagreed with as of yet. Yes, it rounds up to the nearest 1MB, but once you understand how it plays the game, it's easy. Hopefully they don't go out of business soon.

Good post

hamtonp said:   Thanks vinster. This is exactly what I did. I'm up to the max 500MB earned free additional but my summary shows 0.98GB total. No idea why. Been like that for 2 days now.

1 GB = 1024 MB

1000 MB = .98 GB

Warning: Now when you log into their account, it will give you a button to upgrade with 50% off or something similar. I clicked upgrade thinking that it will give me an option to select a plan etc. It did not. It just charged me for the 2GB plan.

I immediately downgraded it but it still kept the charge.

PS: I am happy with the service and would recommend it.

I'm satisfied overall, but I'm having a little problem with the photon device not recognizing WEP encryption. WEP was working for a while, then no devices will connect. Changed to WPA2-PSK encryption and works fine, but legacy WEP devices won't work. I'll try to find how much of a hassle it is to exchange it, but maybe I should keep it and consider WPA a security upgrade.

starcrossed said:   Warning: Now when you log into their account, it will give you a button to upgrade with 50% off or something similar. I clicked upgrade thinking that it will give me an option to select a plan etc. It did not. It just charged me for the 2GB plan.

I immediately downgraded it but it still kept the charge.

PS: I am happy with the service and would recommend it.

That's because the wording is actually "50% off your overages" or something to that effect.

Is the smallest unit MB? I doubt this is the standard measurement because

KB 2% off
MB 5% off
GB 7% off thus should be 0.93GB instead of 0.98GB
see http://youtu.be/dHbdeVG7fF8

passion124 said:   hamtonp said:   Thanks vinster. This is exactly what I did. I'm up to the max 500MB earned free additional but my summary shows 0.98GB total. No idea why. Been like that for 2 days now.

1 GB = 1024 MB

1000 MB = .98 GB

Cache said:   Is the smallest unit MB? I doubt this is the standard measurement because

KB 2% off
MB 5% off
GB 7% off thus should be 0.93GB instead of 0.98GB
see http://youtu.be/dHbdeVG7fF8

that is different. If you sign up for the 2 GB plan, you will actually get the full 2 GB. You won't be shorted the same with hard drives.

However, if you sign up for the 500 MB plan and get an additional 500 MB from freedom friends you don't have 1.0 GB. you will need to earn 524 MB additional(through freedom friends and other offers) to reach a full GB.

I earned 532 MB from offers, so I do have slightly more than 1 GB. Screenshot

jw530 said:   I'm satisfied overall, but I'm having a little problem with the photon device not recognizing WEP encryption. WEP was working for a while, then no devices will connect. Changed to WPA2-PSK encryption and works fine, but legacy WEP devices won't work. I'll try to find how much of a hassle it is to exchange it, but maybe I should keep it and consider WPA a security upgrade.
My WEP laptop won't connect either. I had a similar issue before with a wireless router. To get it to connect I had to use WEP, essentially forcing all my other PCs and laptops in the house to use the less secure WEP encryption.

update: You may want to update your wireless adapter driver to the most current. It should support WPA. I did that for my old HP Laptop which I barely used and got it to connect to the freedompop hotspot with no problem.

It's true that there are vulnerabilities that make cracking WEP relatively easy, but it does still take time and some level of knowledge. To get a handle on how a typical attacker would crack the key, you can follow the instructions here to try to crack it yourself: http://lifehacker.com/5305094/how-to-crack-a-wi+fi-networks-wep-...

"There's a thread on a "slick" website (search for "Freedompop friends") which has a link to a Google spreadsheet with emails of Freedompop users who will join your friends list.

Here's what I did:
6. Wait for the friend acceptance."

I've also done this, but am wondering how this works. I like the fact that I am getting free data, but what are other users doing and what should I be doing to add more data mutually to our accounts? Is this automatic or someone actively clicking on a link to give me data? Does it appear in email or is it in the freedompop "earn free" tab? I would like to return the favor. There is a tab under Freedom Friends/My Friends that lists some of the other people that were added to the freedom friends list from the master list. There is a request MBs button, but when I press it says "feature coming soon", but nothing happens.

jw530 said:   "There's a thread on a "slick" website (search for "Freedompop friends") which has a link to a Google spreadsheet with emails of Freedompop users who will join your friends list.

Here's what I did:
6. Wait for the friend acceptance."

I've also done this, but am wondering how this works. I like the fact that I am getting free data, but what are other users doing and what should I be doing to add more data mutually to our accounts? Is this automatic or someone actively clicking on a link to give me data? Does it appear in email or is it in the freedompop "earn free" tab? I would like to return the favor. There is a tab under Freedom Friends/My Friends that lists some of the other people that were added to the freedom friends list from the master list. There is a request MBs button, but when I press it says "feature coming soon", but nothing happens.
My understanding is that: 1) you both get free 10mb/mo as long as you remain "friends", and 2) in the future, they're going to add a feature where you can transfer/share some of the data you're not going to use up that month to a friend. Someone please correct me if I'm understanding it incorrectly.

Has anyone tried using VPN (L2TP/IPSec, OpenVPN) with their hotspots or had any services blocked?

Anyone tried to complete an offer and earn free data? Wonder if it's a one time bonus or it gets renew every cycle...

How long after you signed up and paid did you receive your device???

look4deals said:   How long after you signed up and paid did you receive your device???
It took about 1 week for me.

Buyer beware as posted on the other forum, Add me to the people who can not get a refund out of them after a long bout. Others also had to complain to FCC or CC charge back ETC. They keep my device and my money.

Nice post !

Dfed said:   Buyer beware as posted on the other forum, Add me to the people who can not get a refund out of them after a long bout. Others also had to complain to FCC or CC charge back ETC. They keep my device and my money.

Did you have to pay for shipping back and get charged a restocking fee? I refuse to pay to ship it back and then also a restocking fee and they told me service was avaiable in my area and the darn thing wont pull a signal, and after calling tech support they said oh "you are right outside of our coverage area, send it back for a refund but you have to pay to ship it back and there is a restocking fee since its used".

In light of all these, if one just wants occasional (couple of times a month) internet access while out and about, is this pretty viable way to get it? I guess I will have to consider "$99 Refundable deposit" as just a cost of equipment purchase.

Should I wait for Sprint device when it becomes available next year? (then, I will loose out on the opportunity cost for next few months I guess)

Stranger2 said:   In light of all these, if one just wants occasional (couple of times a month) internet access while out and about, is this pretty viable way to get it? I guess I will have to consider "$99 Refundable deposit" as just a cost of equipment purchase.

Should I wait for Sprint device when it becomes available next year? (then, I will loose out on the opportunity cost for next few months I guess)

It should be more than enough. I've had it for a little less than 2 weeks and only used up 89MB. I only read news on Yahoo and ESPN.com and check my Gmail every so often, no video or Youtube. Since I also got 50 friends to link to, I received another 500MB so have 0.98GB to burn. I don't know if the extra 500MB from friends is one time or recurring. In any event, 500MB seems to serve my needs. If I get 0.98GB every month, I probably won't even come close to using it all up. My only risk is Freedompop goes out of business before too long. If I have to buy a new router in one year once they convert to Sprint LTE, I'm ok with buying another router. I suspect they'll give the current users a significant discount. I would recommend just going for it.

It's viable if you have soild coverage where you want to use it. Unfortunately the coverage map is not very accurate. I tried to use it where it's dark green on the coverage map and there's no coverage.

Anyone else getting this never ending cycle when connecting to the device through wifi? I get a splash screen from Freedompop saying they have updates for me, forces me to log in, then it just takes me to my profile page. On iPhone as well as computer it does this...and it doesn't let me connect to any websites other than the FreedomPop page.

Very frustrating.

Here are my thoughts after about a month of use:

- Where I've gotten service, quality has been good. Anywhere from 2-6 MB downstream.
- Don't mind the restrictions/hoops. As long as I'm aware of them, they're pretty straightforward.
- Their prorating of cost & data when you upgrade is a little confusing, but appears to be favorable. They take your remaining MB and add them to the prorated MB for the rest of the month while charging you the prorated amount.
- Overall, pretty satisfied. The few real world occasions I've had to use this, it worked great.

For those of you whining and screaming scam and rip-off, I can only see a reasonable case if your area is shown to be covered and is not and you are getting charged a restocking fee. Otherwise, it seems like a perfectly good deal for 500MB/month and a reasonable cost for additional GB.

BostonOne said:   Here are my thoughts after about a month of use:

- Where I've gotten service, quality has been good. Anywhere from 2-6 MB downstream.
- Don't mind the restrictions/hoops. As long as I'm aware of them, they're pretty straightforward.
- Their prorating of cost & data when you upgrade is a little confusing, but appears to be favorable. They take your remaining MB and add them to the prorated MB for the rest of the month while charging you the prorated amount.
- Overall, pretty satisfied. The few real world occasions I've had to use this, it worked great.

For those of you whining and screaming scam and rip-off, I can only see a reasonable case if your area is shown to be covered and is not and you are getting charged a restocking fee. Otherwise, it seems like a perfectly good deal for 500MB/month and a reasonable cost for additional GB.

Agreed with your assessment but Freedompop needs to fix the rounding to 1MB. They should be able to round to 0.1MB like others. If not, they won't survive as a company. They need to understand their competition.

shallot said:   BostonOne said:   Here are my thoughts after about a month of use:

Agreed with your assessment but Freedompop needs to fix the rounding to 1MB. They should be able to round to 0.1MB like others. If not, they won't survive as a company. They need to understand their competition.

Yes. They should address that.

I was using this on Sunday, streaming some audio, getting download speeds of 8 to 10 MB. I have the automatic top-off feature disabled, but they charged me $10 twice within a half hour anyways. Not a complaint, but a warning to others and a lesson learned.

EDIT: from their FAQ page.....
"What happens when I disable the Automatic Top-Up feature?

When you disable the Automatic Top-Up feature your account will be suspended for the rest of your billing cycle if you surpass your free data allotment. However, if you exceed your free data allotment in a single session and exceed your free data allotment, your account will incur overage charges."

HawkeyeNFO said:   I was using this on Sunday, streaming some audio, getting download speeds of 8 to 10 MB. I have the automatic top-off feature disabled, but they charged me $10 twice within a half hour anyways. Not a complaint, but a warning to others and a lesson learned.

EDIT: from their FAQ page.....
"What happens when I disable the Automatic Top-Up feature?

When you disable the Automatic Top-Up feature your account will be suspended for the rest of your billing cycle if you surpass your free data allotment. However, if you exceed your free data allotment in a single session and exceed your free data allotment, your account will incur overage charges."

I really think this is the worst part. Before using this, I had no idea how much
data I use when using voip and streaming songs... I still don't, there is just absolutely no reliable way to
avoid overage unless you give it an enormous buffer.

I have have it for almost 1 month. I am in the SF bay area, coverage is fairly good, even on I-880.

Finally used the FreedomPop hotspot last night, ran a speedtest.net run on it, 5Mbps down 1Mbps up. Had my desktop connected to it and did some light browsing for about 20 minutes. Today, it shows 14MB of usage. This was in my home, where my Wimax phone can't get a decent 4G connection, so whatever antennae is in the hotspot is pretty decent.

HawkeyeNFO said:   I was using this on Sunday, streaming some audio, getting download speeds of 8 to 10 MB. I have the automatic top-off feature disabled, but they charged me $10 twice within a half hour anyways. Not a complaint, but a warning to others and a lesson learned.

What was the reason for you being charged twice? Did you go over your allotment, or just get within 100 MB?

BostonOne said:   Here are my thoughts after about a month of use:

Seeing that you are senior member, I am hoping that you don't really mean that. There are plenty of people with legitimate complaints and don't like being characterized as a 'whiner...'. You don't call someone a name and then list the exceptions.

For those who have complaints, assuming you used a charge card, you can take it up with them to get a refund. File a complaint with full documentation (details of the initial Email, subsequent Queries/Responses, copy of Terms_Of_Service etc..). Good Luck.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014