• 18910 11 12
  • Page
  • Text Only
chuckaustex said:   Has anyone used this to make a "Lojack" with no monthly fees? Plan is to use this with an Android phone and a motion detecting and GPS app. Coverage is good 99.9% of time where I am.

Not sure that I would rely on a service with such limited geographic coverage for something like that. You may be there but your vehicle may not. Just saying.

I got mine in. Decent condition, very loose battery door. I fixed it with a QR code that shows my website if it gets lost hopefully I'll get it back.

3G speeds are erratic. Dialup to DSL. Have a road trip coming up, will test then. They ought to make the 3G free or cheaper because of the slower speeds, IMHO, but it does increase the coverage a lot.

For the home hub, the data limit for the $9.99/month basic plan has been reduced from 10GB to 5GB. It looks like the people who already have the 10GB basic plan will be grandfathered.

c3 said:   For the home hub, the data limit for the $9.99/month basic plan has been reduced from 10GB to 5GB. It looks like the people who already have the 10GB basic plan will be grandfathered.

Aghhh! I just checked and can confirm this Well, 10gb is already a pretty low number. Lowering to 5gb would be the loose equivalent of kicking someone while they're down LOL.

BTW, the sign up page still says 10GB for the basic plan, along with the old overage rate of $0.005/MB (now $0.007).

Update: The sign up page has also been updated.

Has anyone ordered the Overdrive Pro recently? I ordered mine about 2 weeks ago, and it hasn't been shipped yet.

ordered one on 6/20 when they expanded the service area. Still no shipping notice for me either.
c3 said:   Has anyone ordered the Overdrive Pro recently? I ordered mine about 2 weeks ago, and it hasn't been shipped yet.

I bought the half price deal on Connectify and Hotspot for $27. I have an Overdrive, and an Overdrive Pro coming. In theory you could buy a bunch of these and if you can supply the power and keep them up, you can get a free high speed internet connection. Imagine 4 of them connected via USB/WiFi. the problem with the Overdrive is it runs so hot that at some point the battery will get too hot to charge, so you'd need some cooling too.

But, imagine a free gig per connection times a few. 4 gigs would be enough even for home probably if you don't stream anything.

Got an email saying my Overdrive Pro finally shipped.

I received mine after a month. There was no mention that it would be a refurb unit. Mine was all scratched and had black tape over the Sprint logo. Took 4 days for support to reply to my inquiry why not new unit... They are in over there heads. Cant keep up with what they promise and dont have customer service staff to deal with problems. Returning my unit!

frogface said:   There was no mention that it would be a refurb unit.

"A refurbished hotspot in the palm of your hand ....."

I have been completely happy customer for about one year now.
Starting with a $90+ Photon, now a $50 Overdrive.
The devices work great! Costs are reasonable versus what is offered.
What rules apply to see so many complaints over FP on the net?
All and everything to be fast and completely free?
Yeah ... ATT for example is free and refunds you everything, ha.

Anyone know if you can use a DataJack overdrive pro on FreedomPoP's service or is it locked to Datajack? I know they both use Sprint's network.

Can someone give me the lowdown on the differences between the Photon, the Overdrive, and the Overdrive Pro?

I used the Photon for the first time over the 4th of July weekend in the Cleveland area.

In short: Good value for what you pay for... but don't expect business-class level performance.

It worked about 90% of the time, but had trouble in certain rooms where we were staying. Closer to large windows seemed to do better. Speeds were DSL level and more than adequate for emails and the like. I never could get my VPN connection to work, however, which is a major drawback if you need to get work done with one of these.

Given that I paid $50 for the device and everything is free from hereon in, it's a great bargain. If you have urgent business, you'll need to spring for a Verizon JetPack or similar (with the $$$$ outlay, alas).

I agree that this is a deal. I got two devices for $32ish (one OD, on OD Pro) and with the friends list floating around, 2 gigs and something like 280 gigs to borrow. Add those to Connectify (one USB one WiFi or both USB) and you've got a decent free connection in a lot of places.

It's not going to be my primary, but it's a good backup, or you could use it in a lot of situations.

I used this in Vegas a while back since I didn't want to pay the daily internet fees. It worked great and actually faster than the hotel internet. Although I could have stick my company with the internet fee, my FW mentality wouldn't allow me to do it. I ended up using about 500M of data for the week, mainly to check email and light surfing. It's the most I ever used. I'm usually a 200M/month user.

I tried the Pro without the battery and it works. I might just leave it in my car so it powers on when I go driving and use that for all my syncing, Waze, etc. and keep far from the 4 gig cap on my phone. Also the Houston heat won't kill the battery because it isn't there. And the kids can use it, etc.

Think of it as a free internet connection that's always in your car.

The other one I will probably keep in my laptop bag as an add on or to use with Connectify as a little speed bump.

beachfitrob said:   I tried the Pro without the battery and it works. I might just leave it in my car so it powers on when I go driving and use that for all my syncing, Waze, etc. and keep far from the 4 gig cap on my phone. Also the Houston heat won't kill the battery because it isn't there. And the kids can use it, etc.

Think of it as a free internet connection that's always in your car.

The other one I will probably keep in my laptop bag as an add on or to use with Connectify as a little speed bump.

That is a really good idea...

Looks like it needs a higher power level without a battery. On AC it was fine on IIRC 1.2 amps. In car on 1 amp it complained of no battery and would not power up. Will try to follow up.

latest offer is tempting

Get 3GB of Data and Hotspot 100% Free!
+SPECIAL BONUS: Free Shipping

but I only get 3G

I just got my photon device. Can anyone explain why the freedompop website says I have a "casual user" plan for 2 GB of data at $12, and I see no way to change that to the $0 plan? Very strange...

cameronj said:   I see no way to change that to the $0 plan?

My Account -> Data Plans -> Details and Plan Management -> To downgrade your plan, click here

c3 said:   cameronj said:   I see no way to change that to the $0 plan?

My Account -> Data Plans -> Details and Plan Management -> To downgrade your plan, click here

Ah, thanks! Man, they make that really hard to find! Not to mention, they force you to call them during business hours to do it. Not happy about that! Thanks for the help.

Can someone please point me to a good device and a good deal here on fatwallet that would work well with the 3G plan? I have google voice and I'd love to use that. Would an ipod touch 4th generation work well? Or, an android based tablet? I don't have a cell phone, but I would like something to use with this wi-fi in my car...

Almost any android tablet or unactivated prepaid android phone will work if you install Groove IP lite. I picked up a Virgin Mobile Kyocera Rise for $30 at Target a while back, never activated it and just use it with wifi. Have made phone calls on it using Groove IP. Not perfect, some calls drop after a period time.
bestdealseaker said:   Can someone please point me to a good device and a good deal here on fatwallet that would work well with the 3G plan? I have google voice and I'd love to use that. Would an ipod touch 4th generation work well? Or, an android based tablet? I don't have a cell phone, but I would like something to use with this wi-fi in my car...

If you have a 4th gen ipod, you can use the Talkatone app for google voice. It works pretty well, and sound quality isn't bad. If you want to make free outgoing calls only, there are a lot of free apps for both android and iOS (bobsled, magicjack) but the best app I have tried is the Vonage app. If you have a strong connection, the Vonage app will sound better than a normal phone line.

Monkeybiz said:   latest offer is tempting

Get 3GB of Data and Hotspot 100% Free!
+SPECIAL BONUS: Free Shipping

but I only get 3G

Link please
I see no such deal and I'm at checkout page already.
I don't have 4g available to me in az (WTF?) so this would be perfect for me and push me over the fence to "buy"

ETA: apparently the deal for the free hot spot was limited, however they have lowered the price to $19.95 via their facebook page so I ordered last night - now I can ditch my tether that is adding $50 to my cell phone contract!
now I gotta get some friends on board so I can get me some extra free data every month! what a cool plan!

I am tempted by the free phone plan deal, when/if it comes out. The down side seems to be you have to buy their limited selection of phones, while ditching your existing perfectly good (possibly not-locked) phones... I wish they came up with a sim card only plan and a iphone dial (talkatone-alike) app

It's on Amazon lightning deal right now for $59.99

Linky

cameronj said:   c3 said:   cameronj said:   I see no way to change that to the $0 plan?

Ah, thanks! Man, they make that really hard to find! Not to mention, they force you to call them during business hours to do it. Not happy about that! Thanks for the help.

FYI - I called today during business hours. After 10 minutes on hold waiting, I was instructed by the machine to leave a message. NOT MAKING ME FEEL VERY CONFIDENT. Will call back tomorrow and try again. Total... BS.

cameronj said:   cameronj said:   c3 said:   cameronj said:   I see no way to change that to the $0 plan?

FYI - I called today during business hours. After 10 minutes on hold waiting, I was instructed by the machine to leave a message. NOT MAKING ME FEEL VERY CONFIDENT. Will call back tomorrow and try again. Total... BS.

Well, just to follow up on this post, I received an automated call back today stating that I should press one if I wanted to talk to customer support. I did, and while I was forced to wait on hold for another 60 seconds or so, they did eventually pick up. I then received a hard sell on why I should keep the paid service throughout the end of the month. I repeated that When I bought the device, I signed up for the free service because that's what I wanted, and I was not interested in having to waste another 24 hours taking care of another call back to get it fixed in 30 days. The rep on the other end of the line left into sales mode again, stating that if I wanted to, I could make the change by email now that I would have an open support ticket regarding the issue. I Again repeated that I wanted him to change my plan the way I asked him to, instead of continuing to give me other options. He finally gave up, and changed the plan back to the free plan.

This is definitely a warning to others thinking of buying this product. Clearly, this company is not making a Thone of money if everyone uses the free deal as advertised. So they put a lot of Effort into keeping you paying for things. Hopefully, now that I am truly on the free plan, things will go back to working well.

Please excuse any typos or obvious non sequiturs in this post, I did it by voice dictation and didn't have time to check my work carefully.

cameronj said:   
Well, just to follow up on this post, I received an automated call back today stating that I should press one if I wanted to talk to customer support. I did, and while I was forced to wait on hold for another 60 seconds or so, they did eventually pick up. I then received a hard sell on why I should keep the paid service throughout the end of the month. I repeated that When I bought the device, I signed up for the free service because that's what I wanted, and I was not interested in having to waste another 24 hours taking care of another call back to get it fixed in 30 days. The rep on the other end of the line left into sales mode again, stating that if I wanted to, I could make the change by email now that I would have an open support ticket regarding the issue. I Again repeated that I wanted him to change my plan the way I asked him to, instead of continuing to give me other options. He finally gave up, and changed the plan back to the free plan.

This is definitely a warning to others thinking of buying this product. Clearly, this company is not making a Thone of money if everyone uses the free deal as advertised. So they put a lot of Effort into keeping you paying for things. Hopefully, now that I am truly on the free plan, things will go back to working well.

Please excuse any typos or obvious non sequiturs in this post, I did it by voice dictation and didn't have time to check my work carefully.

Checked into the account today to confirm that the plan had been changed. I see this notice on the top of my screen: "Alert: Your account has been temporarily suspended due to a billing error. To reinstate service, add a valid payment method to your Billing Settings."

The saga continues.

I had to enter billing info again once.

The 4G coverage is sparse. The 3G is often times slow or unusable. The $3.99 for 1 gig with friends and 3G access added on is about all I would do, unless maybe you used it only in a few places with 4G. I travel, and it sucks for that. But I have other ways to get on the net.

I got it to perhaps use when I only get 2G on my other device. Good Spring 3G beats that, and for $4 a month I can live with it.

cameronj said:   Checked into the account today to confirm that the plan had been changed. I see this notice on the top of my screen: "Alert: Your account has been temporarily suspended due to a billing error. To reinstate service, add a valid payment method to your Billing Settings."

That's a well known bug. Unless something is actually wrong with your account, just ignore that message. It should go away at the beginning of the next billing period.

still getting targeted offers every month to sign up. Latest has a different box. Still I can't justify it 3G when I don't even travel.
Freedom Spot Mifi 4082 ($59.99 value)
2GB of 100% Free Wireless Internet! ($19.99 value)

This is getting ridiculous. I paid ~100 in October, and the 4G was spotty and suddenly just stopped working in my area in December. They've been promising me a swap to a 3G/4G Hot spot for over almost 7 months, and they keep dropping the prices, but telling me they are out of stock. I feel completely ripped off at this point.

I ordered a 3G device almost a month ago and I have not received it yet. How long is it supposed to take to get here?

Took about three weeks to get a shipping notice when I ordered in June.
bestdealseaker said:   I ordered a 3G device almost a month ago and I have not received it yet. How long is it supposed to take to get here?

expired said:   This is getting ridiculous. I paid ~100 in October, and the 4G was spotty and suddenly just stopped working in my area in December. They've been promising me a swap to a 3G/4G Hot spot for over almost 7 months, and they keep dropping the prices, but telling me they are out of stock. I feel completely ripped off at this point.

Just return it and order the 3G/4G one separately. I returned my $99 Photon and received $90 refund in about 10 days after delivery.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014