• 1 234512
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
FreedomPop FREE 4G Mobile Internet 500MB per month with $49.99 deposit

FreedomPop [freedompop.com] beta offers 500MB per month of free 4G WiMax internet.
http://www.freedompop.com/

A 4G USB modem stick requires a $49.99 refundable security deposit.
A 4G mobile hotspot requires an $89.99 refundable security deposit.
Shipping is $4.99.

Plans and charges: http://www.freedompop.com/acct_dataplan.htm

Overages are charged at $20 per GB or $0.02 per MB.
You can do various things to earn free data, such as inviting friends or fulfilling offers. You can also pay more for premium services.

unlockedshaders op

FreedomPop
Need a FreedomPop coupon that earns $5.00 FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

4G Mobile Internet (45.44kB)
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Did you charge it with a wall charger or did you charge it by connecting to the USB of a computer? I heard if you connec... (more)

ElectricGerm (Oct. 03, 2013 @ 12:52a) |

Big caveat here members.... Make sure you're in a strong Wimax area...!! The prices are enticing, but you can't pay me e... (more)

dmicohen (Oct. 04, 2013 @ 3:50p) |

never mind.

letgo (Oct. 24, 2013 @ 9:21p) |

• Some are complainging they are not getting refunds timely. Others have not had a problem. YMMV.
    There seems to be a real difference between the sleeve and the usb modem and hotspot. The sleve is the marketing and terms are different on their site. The sleve costs $99, this is not a deposit. The modem and hotspot are a deposit which provided you return within a year should be refunded.

If you placed a pre-order, or you are attempting to return your device, you will need to be dilligent to make sure you get a refund. Some have concerns about the long term viability of the company.

Important Information:

• There is something very wrong about the data usage. Looks like they are rounding to nearest MB per 15 mins. And some other kind of rounding per session. Some one mentioned they are using 10MB an hour while "Idle".

• Only work on 4g WiMax. No 3G support

• Inactive account fee: If you choose the free Broadband Service and use less than 5mb in any given month, we will charge you a $.99 Active Status fee to keep your account active.

• they will be switching from 4G WiMAX to LTE in early 2013. The equipment they have now won't work with LTE so you WILL need to return the old equipment and get new one. And their service may change during that time. If you don't like any of their changes, you can return your old equipment without getting new LTE enable one.

asnking said:   Count me in...I connected to two devices and in one day it used up all my 500MB just for checking email and basic web browsing...This is a totally scam.

And I was about to upgrade to a faster plan since it is like 40% less than verizon and no contracts. Oh well...

To get the USB Stick working with Android on a tablets with USB Host:

add this to /etc/dhcpcd/dhcpcd.conf (you must have root):

interface eth0
option subnet_mask, routers, domain_name_servers

Then, in terminal emulator (again, must have root):

su
dhcpcd eth0

That should get it working. Not all apps recognize the connection, but browser and Hulu Plus work.

FreedomPop ensures you'll never be left without Internet access should you exceed your monthly plan capacity. For any extra data that you use, you will be charged on a Pay As You Go basis. To cover any Pay As You Go charges, our Automatic Top-Up feature will fund your credit account $10.00 the first time you get within 100mb of your monthly plan capacity limit. You can turn off this feature at any time.

FreedomPop has an arbitration clause. if you wish to opt out, you must do so in the first 30 days of signing up. Per https://www.freedompop.com/terms.htm

You may opt out of this Provision by mailing written notification to FreedomPop, 18757 Burbank Boulevard, Tarzana, CA 91356. Your written notification must include: (1) your name; (2) your address; and (3) a clear statement that you do not wish to resolve disputes with FreedomPop through arbitration.

To check data usage on android, I use FreedomChomp ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidbytes.freedomchomp ) . Much better than freedompop's official app.
Staff Summary

Too bad not available in SWFL

Looks like they charge 2.99 per month for speedboost. No way to remove that? Wimax, isnt that going away?

likeaw said:   Looks like they charge 2.99 per month for speedboost. No way to remove that? Wimax, isnt that going away?

There is very SMALL link underneath "No thanks, proceed without".

Now, question is, which cell network is this going to be operating under?

I am interested in using the hotspot option for $90 IF this company folds, is that device going to be worth the $90 "deposit" that I probably won't get back?

Coverage in my area seems to be IDENTICAL to the Clear/Clearwire coverage. So the end of the street I live on is covered, but my address is not. :-P

I ordered the $99 iPhone sleeve back on May 31st, so it's been a long time coming. A bit disturbed to hear about the new extra fee for "speed boost".

I also think this is one of the worst coverage maps I've seen...so laggy when zoomed in.

colebert said:   Coverage Map

Be very wary of relying on Clear's maps. It shows my daughter's house in Villanova, PA as having the best coverage while, in real life, there is no Wimax signal even outside. OTOH, my place in Center City, Philadelphia is shown as fair service but I get 3-6MB/sec while in Washington Square Park across the street, you get no signal but it shows as "fair".

Currently they are on Clearwire network but soon they will move on to Sprint's LTE network sometime next year (atleast that's what they say in Engadget). I just ordered one Hotspot router one ($90 security deposit +$4shipping). I am currently using PlatinumTel prepaid (realpaygo) service with Motorola Photon phone, so free 500mb is a sweet addition to it.

Is this iPhone compatible? Not interested just curious.

faw169 said:   Is this iPhone compatible? Not interested just curious.

You can get one which will provide hotspot so I don't see why not. It should be compatible with ANY phones that can connect using wifi.

I see the iPod sleep is more interesting. I guess this (free 4G) could be the future of mobile computing. Paying over $100 a month for less than 1 giga of data is outrageous.

I have work issued iPhone with free unlimited data. So I don't need this for now. The only issue is the phone is a 4s, thus 3G only.

Stranger2 said:   faw169 said:   Is this iPhone compatible? Not interested just curious.

You can get one which will provide hotspot so I don't see why not. It should be compatible with ANY phones that can connect using wifi.

free 500mb while traveling will be really nice. It will just live in my laptop bag.

Does anyone know what that mean when they say refundable deposit? Do you have to ship the hotspot modem back to get your refund?

Boochi said:   Currently they are on Clearwire network but soon they will move on to Sprint's LTE network sometime next year (atleast that's what they say in Engadget). I just ordered one Hotspot router one ($90 security deposit +$4shipping). I am currently using PlatinumTel prepaid (realpaygo) service with Motorola Photon phone, so free 500mb is a sweet addition to it.

When they move to LTE do you have to get a new modem?

I am not quite sure if I am using mostly for browsing, email & sometime youtube. Is 500mb is enough for monthly?

Thanks

About coverage...this will be due to start using Sprintís 4G LTE spectrum in 2013.
Voip service is in the works
Link

if in any month you use less than 5 MB of data, you get charged a 99 cents service fee. Not a big deal, but worth mentioning.

In reply to bestdealever2012,

Engadget Mod Dana Wollma said "From a company rep: "You will get a refund on the equipment when you return it and no longer using the service. There is no deadline date."

OP. Can you send me link to order the mobile hotspot device.

owenyuen said:   I am not quite sure if I am using mostly for browsing, email & sometime youtube. Is 500mb is enough for monthly?

Thanks

If you mean using FreedomPop 4G as your only way to get online (e.g. no home internet cable/dsl/fiber service) then no, 500mb will not be enough.

Can someone point me to the link where I can add 500MB data to my prepaid service? I signed up, but don't see that option...

For those wondering to use this for voip.. you'll get around 450 minutes if you use PCMA/PCMU codec.

NxN2005 said:   owenyuen said:   I am not quite sure if I am using mostly for browsing, email & sometime youtube. Is 500mb is enough for monthly?

Thanks

If you mean using FreedomPop 4G as your only way to get online (e.g. no home internet cable/dsl/fiber service) then no, 500mb will not be enough.

I have ATT uverse home. Just use this service for my 7" tablet if we are out.

fatxman said:   Can someone point me to the link where I can add 500MB data to my prepaid service? I signed up, but don't see that option...

I think it's the "automatic top-up" option. I think they charge $0.02 per MEGAbyte if you go over with the FREE plan, and $0.01 per MEGAbyte if you go with one of the subscription plans, Either way, you are only being charged per MEGAbyte you go over.

The paid plans offer $.01-per-megabyte overage roughly equaling, $10 per GB. The free plan's overage fee is twice that for, roughly $20 per GB.

owenyuen said:   NxN2005 said:   owenyuen said:   I am not quite sure if I am using mostly for browsing, email & sometime youtube. Is 500mb is enough for monthly?

Thanks

I have ATT uverse home. Just use this service for my 7" tablet if we are out.

In that case, the 500mb might be fine (as long as you stay away from youtube or other videos).

I use hotmail account to sigup but never receive freedompop order in my hotmail. It seems hotmail filters and drop the email. Does anyone else has the same issue?

no way to prevent going over (no option to shut down instead of let it do the overage thing)...that and the 99 cent/month fee sounds like they want you to go over

kenyee said:   no way to prevent going over (no option to shut down instead of let it do the overage thing)...that and the 99 cent/month fee sounds like they want you to go over

You can disable auto top off
Billing/Billing Settings/Automatic Top-Up/Edit

If you do turn it off, you lose connectivity if you go over 500mb. But you are not charged. (they way I understand it so far) But i see your point if you turn off the 99 cent ping per month it may cancel you. IDK.

Those offers that gives more free data are silly. For e.g., there is one FindCheapFlights.com gives 8MB data if we browse that site through the offer link. It might cost us 8mb to browse 5/6 pages on that site.

You can prevent go over 500mb, since I got their reply before:" Yes, the device acts as a personal hotspot. The network is password protected and users will be able to manage that. The devices work on a 4G network.

You receive 500MB/month guaranteed, can earn 1GB/month free by referring friends and UNLIMITED free data by paticipating in our partner promotions and offers. The management application for the device will be a browser based application. "

Anyone know if I can use the USB stick with an android tablet? (Iconia 500, ICS)

I emailed them last night, havent gotten a response and not even an auto response.....

So what was the price before?

Dfed said:   kenyee said:   no way to prevent going over (no option to shut down instead of let it do the overage thing)...that and the 99 cent/month fee sounds like they want you to go over

You can disable auto top off
Billing/Billing Settings/Automatic Top-Up/Edit

If you do turn it off, you lose connectivity if you go over 500mb. But you are not charged. (they way I understand it so far) But i see your point if you turn off the 99 cent ping per month it may cancel you. IDK.

Thanks. That makes it safer.
Sounds like the 99 cent ping is only if you don't use it every month, so that might not be bad. $90 for a wifi hotspot isn't bad...

Anyone have issues with logging into their account?

From the service plan terms @ https://www.freedompop.com/service_plan_terms.htm

"If the balance in your FreedomPop Account runs out and you have not provided us with a new functioning payment method, your access to the Broadband Service and Value Added Services will be suspended and your Broadband Service will be deemed inactive, as further described below."

- I agree with the assessment that disabling "Automatic Top-Up" should result in your service being interrupted if you exceed 500mb.

"Your Broadband Service becomes inactive after 30 days of Broadband Service activity under the 5mb threshold or if you fail to pay any fees for the Broadband Service and Value Added Services when due. If you choose the free Broadband Service and use less than 5mb in any given month, we'€™ll charge you a $.99 Active Status fee to keep your account active. For your convenience, we will automatically deduct the Active Status fee from your FreedomPop Account balance in each month your Broadband Service usage is under 5mb to ensure no disruption of the Broadband Service and Value Added Services."

- this makes it clear that you must use at least 5mb/month or you will incur a 0.99 $ charge.

"If funds are not available in your FreedomPop Account, we will initiate an Automated Top-Up on your behalf of $10.00 to cover funds for Active Status fee. If we are unable to fund your FreedomPop Account, you will have 30 days to pay Active Status fee for your Broadband Service before we cancel your Broadband Service;"

- I suspect that if you disable the automatic top-off feature, you will immediately go into a "Suspended" state, and have up to 1 month to pay the .99$ fee. If you fail to pay the fee, your account is cancelled.

"If your Broadband service is canceled for any reason, you can Reactivate your Broadband service by making payment for all outstanding fees due and reactivation payment of $19.99. Following payment for all outstanding fees due and your reactivation payment, your Broadband Service and Value Added Services will become active"

- it will cost 19.99 to reactivate your account if you get into this situation.

"we will refund the deposit [on the device] (less any amounts that you owe to us) ... within 90 days after the date: (a) you terminate your subscription to the Broadband Service and return all Equipment to us (at your expense) within 30 days of the date on which you notify us that you wish to terminate your subscription to the Broadband Service; or (b) we terminate your subscription to the Broadband Service"

- If you get into a delinquent state, you can return the device within 30 days, and all that you will pay is the .99$ fee for that one month when you failed to use at least 5mb.

SUMMARY: If you set it up right, you can use your 500mb without worry of overages. You will have to "worry" about using the minimum 5mb/mo, but the worst case scenario is that you have about 2 months to return the device and all you lose is the initial shipping cost + the .99$ fee. There *are* clearly "strings attached", but the terms seem viable for folks who use a bit of caution.

Just signed up. No problem logging into the account. Tried to turn off the "Auto Top-Off" option and got a big red "account temporarily suspended because of invalid billing info" message. Turned it back on and the message went away.

newjerseymax said:   Too bad not available in SWFL

I'm in Naples as well, where are you?

Skipping 419 Messages...
never mind.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014