• 12 3 4512
  • Page
  • Text Only
I have a feeling that I'm never getting my deposit back.

superluuk said:   Where exactly ?

It's under the "Alerts & Notifications" section when you log in. You'll see a message about your order when it's shipped. The tracking number is provided as well.

WTH, I'm in, we'll see how it goes.

superflysocal said:   Is Clear 4g service availability the same as Sprint 4G wimax?

Do these 4g modems or hotspot have capability to go to Sprint 3g in case there is no service?

No, they are wimax only. These things would be flying off the shelves if they did. Clearwire's hotspots don't even do that ( anymore).

Right, just got the FedEx tracking in the "notifications and alerts" , didn't get email, yet .

One person reported if you go with their paid plans The free 500 meg disappears and you only get the paid plan. He was trying out the paid 2Gig per month plan. YMMV

I even don't have a confirmation email after I paid them ($89 deposit) by yesterday morning? Anyone have the same experiences?

owenyuen said:   I even don't have a confirmation email after I paid them ($89 deposit) by yesterday morning? Anyone have the same experiences?

For some strange reason, you get the confirmation email late. My tracking number was on the site hours before they emailed me anything.

Login to the site as mentioned above and look for the tracking number from FedEx. Also, see if your card was charged period.

Dfed said:   One person reported if you go with their paid plans The free 500 meg disappears and you only get the paid plan. He was trying out the paid 2Gig per month plan. YMMV

You can only change betten the free plan and paid plans once per month. Once you are eligble for a plan change the free option will reappear.

BTW I got my Proton today and it worked right out of the box. The only issues I experienced right away is that the internal administration browser is optimized for IE so if you are using Safari, FF, or Chrome on a tablet you might have to hit refresh to see any changes you make on the device. The other issue is that the wifi range is only about 20 feet so unlike my Verizon hotspot which has an excellent 500ft range I will have to carry this one when I use it vs leaving it in the car like the Verizon. Also there appears to be some sort of backgroud data collection beign performed by FreedomPop as the data usage continues to rise long after there is no activity or connected clients. LOL I already used 50mb of data just visiting a few websites(no downloads, no streaming). Now I am glad I opted for the $9.99 / 1GB Mo plan vs the free 500mb one as I can see 500MB by theri definition will go quickly. Still for the price it seems like a good deal for a backup connection.

Wow, that coverage map is crap at best.. No coverage at all in major populated areas like Springfield, MA or Worcester, MA.. nevermind the entire Eastern half I-95 and all of the I-395 corridor in Connecticut..

EDIT: Wow, red for complaining that their service is not useful in any way to me because of crap coverage?

cnIsfg said:   Dfed said:   One person reported if you go with their paid plans The free 500 meg disappears and you only get the paid plan. He was trying out the paid 2Gig per month plan. YMMV

You can only change betten the free plan and paid plans once per month. Once you are eligble for a plan change the free option will reappear.

BTW I got my Proton today and it worked right out of the box. The only issues I experienced right away is that the internal administration browser is optimized for IE so if you are using Safari, FF, or Chrome on a tablet you might have to hit refresh to see any changes you make on the device. The other issue is that the wifi range is only about 20 feet so unlike my Verizon hotspot which has an excellent 500ft range I will have to carry this one when I use it vs leaving it in the car like the Verizon. Also there appears to be some sort of backgroud data collection beign performed by FreedomPop as the data usage continues to rise long after there is no activity or connected clients. LOL I already used 50mb of data just visiting a few websites(no downloads, no streaming). Now I am glad I opted for the $9.99 / 1GB Mo plan vs the free 500mb one as I can see 500MB by theri definition will go quickly. Still for the price it seems like a good deal for a backup connection.

I see no reason why anyone would sign up for the 1GB plan unless they think they will go over 1GB. If you have the 500MB plan and go over by another 500MB, you pay 0.02*500 which is $10. That is the exact price for the 1GB plan. If you use less than 1GB, then you will be paying less than the 1GB plan.

fatxman said:   cnIsfg said:   Dfed said:   One person reported if you go with their paid plans The free 500 meg disappears and you only get the paid plan. He was trying out the paid 2Gig per month plan. YMMV

I see no reason why anyone would sign up for the 1GB plan unless they think they will go over 1GB. If you have the 500MB plan and go over by another 500MB, you pay 0.02*500 which is $10. That is the exact price for the 1GB plan. If you use less than 1GB, then you will be paying less than the 1GB plan.

Not exactly. According to their CS the MINIMUM you can add via a credit card to your FreedomPOP account for ANY overage/top-off is $10 so even if you use 501MB you get billed for $10 not 2 cents. Billing and earned reward balances and are only good for 90 days so you would have consume any carryover balance by then or forfeit it. That is the catch of these "free" plans. To each his/her own but I prefer a plan with a more predicitable cost. I already use around 750mb/ mo on my existing Verizon plan so the $10 is a no-brainer for a backup. Plus if I choose to go over my 1GB /mo limit I get another 1GB for the same $10 you are paying for extra 500MB.

cnIsfg said:   Dfed said:   One person reported if you go with their paid plans The free 500 meg disappears and you only get the paid plan. He was trying out the paid 2Gig per month plan. YMMV

I got mine yesterday, but when I am trying to connect, I am getting 'Technical Problem' message. I can logon to MyAccount on Freedompop.com, I can browse various pages on Freedompop.com. But no other site is working. As you said, I will try through IE.

Boochi said:   I got mine yesterday, but when I am trying to connect, I am getting 'Technical Problem' message. I can logon to MyAccount on Freedompop.com, I can browse various pages on Freedompop.com. But no other site is working. As you said, I will try through IE.

Strange? Are you sure yo uare not just seeing their site in your browser's cashe? Have you logged into the Proton itself @ 192.168.1.1? As per the quick start you must login to the device and complete the setup before you can connect the first time.

cnIsfg said:   Boochi said:   I got mine yesterday, but when I am trying to connect, I am getting 'Technical Problem' message. I can logon to MyAccount on Freedompop.com, I can browse various pages on Freedompop.com. But no other site is working. As you said, I will try through IE.

Strange? Are you sure yo uare not just seeing their site in your browser's cashe? Have you logged into the Proton itself @ 192.168.1.1? As per the quick start you must login to the device and complete the setup before you can connect the first time.

Nope, not from browser Cache, becuase, I was able to modify auto top up option. And yes, I did all the setup tasks. But all these task I did through Motorola Photon/Lapdock FF browser. I left a email message on Freedompop.com, but so far no update.

Boochi said:   cnIsfg said:   Boochi said:   I got mine yesterday, but when I am trying to connect, I am getting 'Technical Problem' message. I can logon to MyAccount on Freedompop.com, I can browse various pages on Freedompop.com. But no other site is working. As you said, I will try through IE.

Nope, not from browser Cache, becuase, I was able to modify auto top up option. And yes, I did all the setup tasks. But all these task I did through Motorola Photon/Lapdock FF browser. I left a email message on Freedompop.com, but so far no update.

Not that it should matter but did your get the free 500mb offer or a paid plan? Also what firmware version do you have? The current is R4504. If you can't get freedomPop to reply try Clear CS as this Proton is a re-badged Clear Voyager.

cnIsfg said:   fatxman said:   cnIsfg said:   Dfed said:   One person reported if you go with their paid plans The free 500 meg disappears and you only get the paid plan. He was trying out the paid 2Gig per month plan. YMMV

Not exactly. According to their CS the MINIMUM you can add via a credit card to your FreedomPOP account for ANY overage/top-off is $10 so even if you use 501MB you get billed for $10 not 2 cents. Billing and earned reward balances and are only good for 90 days so you would have consume any carryover balance by then or forfeit it. That is the catch of these "free" plans. To each his/her own but I prefer a plan with a more predicitable cost. I already use around 750mb/ mo on my existing Verizon plan so the $10 is a no-brainer for a backup. Plus if I choose to go over my 1GB /mo limit I get another 1GB for the same $10 you are paying for extra 500MB.

If you use 750MB per month and your $10 credit lasts for 90 days, then you will pay $10 for 2 month instead of $10 each month.

akbungle said:   elektronic said:   fanz50 said:   Anyone know if I can use the USB stick with an android tablet? (Iconia 500, ICS)

There is a ROM that supports 3G USB. I'm going to try it.

I thought the service was 4G only.

It is. My stick arrived. It is essentially a clearwire ubee atlas stick which is designed to support android via RNDIS, however, I could not get the ppp widget to find a driver for it.

Typing dhcpcd eth0 into terminal gets it recognized by the terminal.

Ifconfig eth0 yields the Mac address and ip address of the dongle, but I can't get internet access yet. I assume someone smarter than me will figure out full support.

I got hotspot today, Turn on then charge about two hours,no any device connected. but when I log in my account, it show me 23M used already. How this happened? It's meaning 500M is not enough even no use? see detail:
----------------------------------------
ate Time Source Data Used
Oct 4, 2012 7:00 PM Plan Usage 4 MB
Oct 4, 2012 6:30 PM Plan Usage 4 MB
Oct 4, 2012 5:30 PM Plan Usage 10 MB
Oct 4, 2012 5:15 PM Plan Usage 1 MB
Oct 4, 2012 5:00 PM Plan Usage 3 MB

hou said:   I got hotspot today, Turn on then charge about two hours,no any device connected. but when I log in my account, it show me 23M used already. How this happened? It's meaning 500M is not enough even no use? see detail:

It looks like it is not even enough if we purchase for 1GB plan either ..... May be something running behind the background? Any thought!!!!

owenyuen said:   hou said:   I got hotspot today, Turn on then charge about two hours,no any device connected. but when I log in my account, it show me 23M used already. How this happened? It's meaning 500M is not enough even no use? see detail:

It looks like it is not even enough if we purchase for 1GB plan either ..... May be something running behind the background? Any thought!!!!

I already noted that above. I visited a few site and the data wasalready up to 50mb. Their TOS states they are collecting your usage and browsing details for marketing purposes. However, IMO, they should not bill those actiities against your monthly allowance. As with anything "free" there is always a catch.

fatxman said:   cnIsfg said:   fatxman said:   cnIsfg said:   Dfed said:   One person reported if you go with their paid plans The free 500 meg disappears and you only get the paid plan. He was trying out the paid 2Gig per month plan. YMMV

If you use 750MB per month and your $10 credit lasts for 90 days, then you will pay $10 for 2 month instead of $10 each month.

The problem with your assumption is that FreedomPop's method of calculating data usage is the same as Verizon. On Verizon I used 750mb/mo. With this FreedomPop service after a couple of days usage it already looks like that same usage behavior will consume at least double the amount of data usage on FreedomPop. That $10 surplus you referenced isn't going to last one month letalone two. No matter how you rationalize it looks their so-called 500mb free plan will be their most expensive per/mb in the long run when you factor in unexpected data overages due to their "background" data collection activities which cannot be disabled. This is still a beta service so maybe that issue will be corrected? However, for now even their 500MB plan is hardly anything close to free.

Email them : feedback@freedompop.com !!

If its really using like 10 mb an hour when not even connected to any device ill send it back.

owenyuen said:   hou said:   I got hotspot today, Turn on then charge about two hours,no any device connected. but when I log in my account, it show me 23M used already. How this happened? It's meaning 500M is not enough even no use? see detail:

Anyone here got the USB stick? I wonder if they have the same issue...

hou said:   I got hotspot today, Turn on then charge about two hours,no any device connected. but when I log in my account, it show me 23M used already. How this happened? It's meaning 500M is not enough even no use? see detail:

This is unusually large amount of data for any kind of background operation, did you try to contact freedompop for an explanation?

so this smokes the clear ispot $25 plan?

Umm isn't clear ispot $25/mo, UNLIMITED?

No coverage in the 6th largest city in US (Phoenix)? Pathetic.

You guys are starting to figure out the scam..

Is it possible the units are downloading some sort of OTA firmware update? Waiting for mine to be delivered today, interested to see how blanketed the NYC metro area is

Yep. I know it's a scam because the website only allows you to e-mail them for support, and they don't reply to their emails. I had joined the other day for the 2gb plan because AT&T hadn't got back to me about my DSL service. Then I got a text from AT&T later that day saying my service would be up the next day. So, I wanted to cancel the order before it shipped to save myself and FreedomPop the hassle. Two emails on consecutive days drew absolutely no response. Finally got a shipping confirmation late yesterday. So I get to incur the expense of shipping it back to them. Aye.

superluuk said:   If its really using like 10 mb an hour when not even connected to any device ill send it back.

Well, this does make that 99 charge for non-use easier to avoid.

Slider said:   Is it possible the units are downloading some sort of OTA firmware update? Waiting for mine to be delivered today, interested to see how blanketed the NYC metro area is

If the unit can't differentiate between user induced bandwidth and system update bandwidth, it's another nail in the coffin for this service.

Got my Hot Spot and set it up. It works Great!
Still shows 0 mb used.

chester215 said:   Got my Hot Spot and set it up. It works Great!
Still shows 0 mb used.

Hi:
Could you try browzing more pages & report to us how your usage doing.

Thanks

Would this work at all with Xbox Live? Or would gaming on this be horrendous? I am toying with the idea of ditching my cable modem and going with the top plan with speed boost. Even with some overage fees it would still be cheaper than what I am paying now plus I could take the hotspot with me for tablets. I probably won't switch to this because I have a feeling gaming would be laggy... Probably the same with Netflix right?
Thanks

Activate and use at 11:40 AM, emails, text, Netflix.
Actual data usage may be delayed up to 3 hours

Date Time Source Data Used
Oct 5, 2012 12:00 PM Plan Usage 49 MB
Oct 5, 2012 11:45 AM Plan Usage 3 MB
All records displayed

Just received mine, very cool. Much smaller than I imagined. Can't speak to data usage yet, but speeds are pretty good in southern Connecticut. Gonna test it out on the road later.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2223234596.png

From another forum below, data usage is fine.

"I am currently running a 1 hour long IDLE hotspot test here at work. It is running and connected to 4g, there are NO devices connected to the hotspot. Will report if any data was used. I will also run the test again with my cell phone connected to the hotspot for exactly 1 hour but without using the phone and see if any data is used.

I have confirmed that there is NO excessive data transfer when idling with no devices connected for 1 hour AND with devices connected idling for an hour. So the 10mb/hr claim is not true."

Slider said:   Just received mine, very cool. Much smaller than I imagined. Can't speak to data usage yet, but speeds are pretty good in southern Connecticut. Gonna test it out on the road later.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2223234596.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2223377520.png

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.