• 14 5 67812
  • Page
  • Text Only
Dfed said:   Customer service fine here. This week, they picked right up at the phone number, and responded within 24 hours with the website email support form.

I wasn't as lucky. I didn't call (couldn't find the number) but I contacted them using the online form last week, I then got an email which appeared to be a generic response (from newsletters@freedompop.com) that there were technical glitches on my order and told me to "rest assured" and that they are working hard to fix my account and ship my device. I waited 4 more days and nothing got fixed so I sent another email thru the form and finally someone responded and fixed my account.

Looks like it will be 2 weeks after I sign up until I will receive the device.

If they keep the recent calculation of usage, it is no way even if you purchase a 5GB plan either!

On the plus side, considering there appears to be significant usage even with no devices connected, it seems like no one has to worry about incurring the $0.99 Active Status fee for using less than 5MB in a month.

Gergor said:   Looks like it will be 2 weeks after I sign up until I will receive the device.

On the bright side, you'll get 500MB to use in about a 15-day period instead of 30. I'm still waiting mine, as it got routed to Timbuktu.

Dfed said:   Customer service fine here. This week, they picked right up at the phone number, and responded within 24 hours with the website email support form.
not for me. they have not responded to 3 emails for a return request and there is no phone number that I can find. Where did you get their number? Its not listed on their website.

user3657 and Gergor,

The phone number is at the bottom of service_plan_terms.htm

For email support I logged into my acct first. Then hit the contact link. Hope this helps. They have been very thorough and polite. All email and phone are recorded in support tickets. Good luck.

Edit: To user3657 For a return I think you log-in, then you go to devices, then there should be a little link under it that says return. But I have not tired it out.

They started reply my email few days ago. But they still cannot explain why the usage is so hugh

edit. ehh

I just got mine tonight. It worked well and typically no one in my complex gets cellphone coverage in their home with ATT, TMobile, and Sprint. But I need some tips on how to change the WIFI Password. The web browser comes up with a system admin type page and I'm lost. Thanks in advance. BTW, subtle usages of your bytes comes from banner notification that are on or cloud services mounted as apps on your tablet or phone. So just a forewarning on that.

Hi I received mine tonight it worked flawlessly. I was surprised given that cell coverage is near zero for our complex for ATT, TMobile and Sprint. Just a forwarning that if your tablet or phone has alerts or notification on, or a cloud server app for your data on the cloud, you will be consuming up your memory. So, how can we all be friends to get free memory?

The last question is I entered the web address to change the WIFI password and got very confused. Has anyone done it and can you share how to interact with the various tabs so that I can do this efficiently under this plan and not brick the device. thanks in advance

minicooper0 said:   Hi I received mine tonight it worked flawlessly. I was surprised given that cell coverage is near zero for our complex for ATT, TMobile and Sprint. Just a forwarning that if your tablet or phone has alerts or notification on, or a cloud server app for your data on the cloud, you will be consuming up your memory. So, how can we all be friends to get free memory?

The last question is I entered the web address to change the WIFI password and got very confused. Has anyone done it and can you share how to interact with the various tabs so that I can do this efficiently under this plan and not brick the device. thanks in advance

I have modified mine. One is login password to the hotspot. 2nd is to modify the SSID (wireless network) password.
You should at least change your SSID password for security purpose.

owenyuen said:   I just connected this device to my HP touchpad without much browsing any sites. Then I checked my usage & surprise it has already used 8 MB (2%).

I connected my laptop to it to browser few webpage and usage is 10MB.

I saw this on their facebook "just read the terms... looks like the deposit is only refundable if you return it w/in 12 months of activation"

After the message being posted for 4 days, freedompop does not reply to it. Do you read it in TOS too?

Found this in thier faq for ppl gettin idle useage...

"My device is idle and using data.
When charging your Freedom Spot Photon on your computer with your computer on, it will be used as a modem and will use data despite being idle. If this is happening to you, consider charging your Photon through another source."

If you are using an iPhone or iPod and you want to monitor your usage there is a new app called Datawiz that you could use to try and verify how much data you are actually using when connected to freedompop. I know on the iPhone since it detects you on a wifi network it may do a lot of extra background downloading that it normally would not do on a cellular connection depending on your settings.

Link.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/datawiz-free-mobile-data-management/id544544238?mt=8

Found a review here:

http://leefyock.tumblr.com/post/33202567568/my-first-look-at-the-freedompop-hotspot

Reverse racism is becoming ever more explicit. You can earn 256Mb of data using one of the offers but it is only for African Americans.

The latest price for the hotspot is now $99.

Got my Photon unit, it works well, however there is something very screwy about the data usage calculation. Will test for the remainder of the month, but it seems like I am headed to the refund line already.

Count me in...I connected to two devices and in one day it used up all my 500MB just for checking email and basic web browsing...This is a totally scam.

And I was about to upgrade to a faster plan since it is like 40% less than verizon and no contracts. Oh well...

This is definitely a scam.....I have yet to receive my hotspot, but my account already stated that I used up 20mb....WTF!

Has anyone tried the netzero?, they have 200 mb free and their mifi is 50% off right now.

UPDATE: about an hour later my usage went to 1MB.

I got my standalone device yesterday. Turned it on to change settings and speedtest with my iPad (5mbs down 1mbs up here in Redmond). Website still shows 0MB used.

Ron

Got my USB device yesterday. Looked at 2 pages last night and about 10 this morning. Over 50MB was consumed which doesn't seem remotely possible. Will definitely be monitoring this closely.

Date Time Source Data Used
Oct 11, 2012 8:15 AM Plan Usage 2 MB
Oct 11, 2012 7:30 AM Plan Usage 47 MB
Oct 10, 2012 8:30 PM Plan Usage 5 MB
Oct 10, 2012 8:15 PM Plan Usage 0 MB

nicokulot4 said:   Has anyone tried the netzero?, they have 200 mb free and their mifi is 50% off right now.

BTW, the free service ends after one year. You must choose a paid plan after that.

Guys, check the privacy policy to see if you are comfortable with them. It appears privacy is taken very lightly, if at all, when you sign up for this.

Marketing. We use your information to offer you our products and services as well as third party products and services to you that may be of interest to you. This may include passing your information on to a third party. For additional information about how a third party might use your information, please see the section below entitled, "Sharing Information with Third Parties."

JDubTrey said:   BTW, the free service ends after one year. You must choose a paid plan after that.

It is also reported in this thread that you must return the Photon (or Stick) within 1 year in order to get your refund.

It is also reported that they charge a $10 processing fee to handle the return of your equipement for refund. (This one the source seems very credible to me)

Can anyone confirm these reports (with reference to website or TOS agreement, etc)?? . I did not see any of these items when I read the website documentation and TOS. I have just setup my new FreedomPop Photon (working great alhtough pretty high data counting as mentioned) and would like to know what I got myself into.

got in touch with CS, and got an RMA for my device. It doesnt pull a signal, they say im right outside of coverage. Makes sense because its the same thing with Sprint....Anyway I was told Id have to pay for shipping back, and get charged a restocking fee....eh.

hinsdale said:   JDubTrey said:   BTW, the free service ends after one year. You must choose a paid plan after that.

It is also reported in this thread that you must return the Photon (or Stick) within 1 year in order to get your refund.

It is also reported that they charge a $10 processing fee to handle the return of your equipement for refund. (This one the source seems very credible to me)

Can anyone confirm these reports (with reference to website or TOS agreement, etc)?? . I did not see any of these items when I read the website documentation and TOS. I have just setup my new FreedomPop Photon (working great alhtough pretty high data counting as mentioned) and would like to know what I got myself into.

For the record, I was talking about NetZero, not FP.

A legitimately free 500MB a month (still to be determined) with a return fee totaling around $15 beats 200MB a month, no return of the $50 hotspot and being forced to choose a paid plan if you want to stay more than a year.

FP has got to get this data metering stuff straight though.

Engadget Mod Dana Wollman Says otherwise about the Device return Date below in contrast to the company TOS. IDK myself?

From a company rep: "You will get a refund on the equipment when you return it and no longer using the service. There is no deadline date."

Be careful. The refund is only available for one year. After that, you lose it. Also, you must ship photon back in original packaging. Be careful, the terms and condition favor them and we get little leeway to make a mistake!

JDubTrey said:   
For the record, I was talking about NetZero, not FP.

Well thats helpful. It was not clear in your post (or atleast I assumed you were talking about the Freedompop deal).

My service seems to be working pretty much as promised. Only downsides to the deal appear to be the data usage calculations for the Free accounts (hard to complain too much, its free.. but they would be better served being transparent IMO) and the $10 Processing or restocking fee when returning equipment for deposit (this was not disclosed as far as I was able to determine).

It looks as though the offer is going to workout pretty well for me (I don't have use for it that often - once a week maybe), but doesnt really work for anyone that plans on using daily or regularly it seems.

schallb said:   Be careful. The refund is only available for one year. After that, you lose it. Also, you must ship photon back in original packaging. Be careful, the terms and condition favor them and we get little leeway to make a mistake!

Can you point out where it says either of these things or how you came upon this info?

Customer service has been pretty bad in my experience. Attempted to cancel my order the same day because AT&T came back to me with a better deal. Only form of contact I saw was the website. Got the shipping confirmation the next day and then finally received responses to my e-mails almost a week later. The device had already arrived at my house by the time I heard back. And even in all the responses I received, they never once gave me information on how to return the item (i.e. return address, RMA number, etc.). Still waiting to hear back from them on that. I don't dare send it back to the random warehouse it came from.

The webpage that you are supposed to go to to return the device only redirects you to the contact us page.

hinsdale said:   schallb said:   Be careful. The refund is only available for one year. After that, you lose it. Also, you must ship photon back in original packaging. Be careful, the terms and condition favor them and we get little leeway to make a mistake!

Can you point out where it says either of these things or how you came upon this info?

I was wondering the same thing. The FAQs on their website are extremely vague.

My shipment is all over the map, and I still don't have my Photon, yet.

Oct 2, 2012 Picked up INDIANAPOLIS, IN
Oct 8, 2012 Shipment exception WHITTIER, CA Cannot locate recipient
Oct 12, 2012 Delivered Scarsdale, NY Left at front door. Signature Service not requested.

No response from FP CS.

schallb said:   Be careful. The refund is only available for one year. After that, you lose it. Also, you must ship photon back in original packaging. Be careful, the terms and condition favor them and we get little leeway to make a mistake!

Not sure about the deadline to return it but I did look through the faq pretty good and I remember seeing something where it said in order to return it you must save your orignal receipt.........

lobbybee,

my tracking did the exact same thing and ended up in NY. Wonder how many others ended up in NY.

there is a restocking fee to return the device. keep in mind.......

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014