• Text Only
For people who want to track their data usage on android, I found a free app. It is very basic app. Have been using it for last several days.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidbytes.fre...

MeraNamJoker said:   For people who want to track their data usage on android, I found a free app. It is very basic app. Have been using it for last several days.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidbytes.fre...

Thx, this works perfectly. I've been looking for something like this.

Has anyone ordered this recently? Where is the hotspot shipped from? I ordered it on Sunday and have not received any shipping notification. No reply from support.

Give it time. Probably get notice today. As long as you received a welcome email, they likely are in the process. I ordered a hotspot last Friday. Says shipped but status shows its been sitting at origin until just yesterday. Will take over a week just from IL to GA. Happy though if it shows up.

c3 said:   Has anyone ordered this recently? Where is the hotspot shipped from? I ordered it on Sunday and have not received any shipping notification. No reply from support.I ordered a hotspot few months ago (october?) and it took 2-3 weeks after ordering for it to arrive. Give it time.

Thanks for the replies. kinggofg said the device was delivered the next day, so I was a bit concerned. The one-month clock has already started, including the one-time 1GB bonus. If I don't get the hotspot soon, the bonus data may become useless.

BTW, the hotspot deposit is now $99, and standard shipping is $6.99.

c3 said:   Thanks for the replies. kinggofg said the device was delivered the next day, so I was a bit concerned. The one-month clock has already started, including the one-time 1GB bonus. If I don't get the hotspot soon, the bonus data may become useless.

BTW, the hotspot deposit is now $99, and standard shipping is $6.99.

Yeah, my "first month" was definitely a lot shorter because of the shipping delay. If you google search "slickdeals freedompop friends" they have instructions on how you can get an extra 500mb/mo.

Ignatzs said:   Probably get notice today.

Just got that email.

I was going to sign up, but reading the contract was scary!!! It is just chock-full of legalese that gives you NO rights, and the company ALL the rights. They can kick you off the service literally "for no reason" You cannot sue them if they are unfair. I took the time to read the TOS and look:

WE EACH AGREE THAT, EXCEPT AS PROVIDED BELOW, ANY AND ALL DISPUTES, AS DEFINED ABOVE, WHETHER PRESENTLY IN EXISTENCE OR BASED ON ACTS OR OMISSIONS IN THE PAST OR IN THE FUTURE, WILL BE RESOLVED EXCLUSIVELY AND FINALLY BY BINDING ARBITRATION RATHER THAN IN COURT IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS PROVISION.

On top of that, the website offers are very misleading. For instance,, in no case is it really "free" (which is fair - I mean they gotta make money, but be HONEST about it bro, you know?) There is a $3.99 monthly fee for the "free service, tacked on as "super speed" or something. AND, more importantly, if you select their "best offer" the $17.99/2 GB/Month offer, they call it free, but in the itty-bitty, light-gray print, when you go to pay, its free "for the 1st month."

Both fees are optional and you can avoid all charges as long as you use it for a few mb's each month. I believe there is a $1.99 inactivity fee but can be avoided.

Also regarding arbitration...literally every service/company you enter into an agreement with has an arbitration clause. Cell phones, Playstation Network and Xbox Live, Hertz, etc.

Kudos you for reading the TOS (I didn't), but nothing you posted above is a big deal. It's like people complaining that Spirit Airlines charged them $100 to bring a carry on bag to the gate.

benwade said:   I was going to sign up, but reading the contract was scary!!! It is just chock-full of legalese that gives you NO rights, and the company ALL the rights. They can kick you off the service literally "for no reason" You cannot sue them if they are unfair. I took the time to read the TOS and look:

WE EACH AGREE THAT, EXCEPT AS PROVIDED BELOW, ANY AND ALL DISPUTES, AS DEFINED ABOVE, WHETHER PRESENTLY IN EXISTENCE OR BASED ON ACTS OR OMISSIONS IN THE PAST OR IN THE FUTURE, WILL BE RESOLVED EXCLUSIVELY AND FINALLY BY BINDING ARBITRATION RATHER THAN IN COURT IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS PROVISION.

On top of that, the website offers are very misleading. For instance,, in no case is it really "free" (which is fair - I mean they gotta make money, but be HONEST about it bro, you know?) There is a $3.99 monthly fee for the "free service, tacked on as "super speed" or something. AND, more importantly, if you select their "best offer" the $17.99/2 GB/Month offer, they call it free, but in the itty-bitty, light-gray print, when you go to pay, its free "for the 1st month."
well, that's your choice, but for what it's worth, I've never been charged anything (except for the initial $100 for the device) for the 500mb/month service.

The arbitration vs court thing is too bad, but that's nothing particularly unusual.

I would agree with you to some extent, EXCEPT that the company uses misleading ads, misleading emails, and its website uses deliberately misleading language. Add that to a TOS that sounds like it was written by Adolf Hitler, and it's bad news.

If I've got to track it and worry about it, it's not worth my time. I'll just use my phone's hotspot. If it shut off at a programmable limit, I'd recommend it like I do the phone service I use.

Has there been any recent info on the move to Sprint and LTE? I'm tempted by the current hotspot, but between really weird coverage, a monthly fee for non-use, and possible lengthy wait for a refund if I return the box, I'm thinking I'll wait until I actually need it. Which also means if I buy it now, it could be obsolete before I get any real use out of it.

Thanks!
=aw

First time I used this was not a good experience. After using for about 3 days in a row I was charged for use apparently for more than the free amount. I do not think I was using it enough to exceed the free amount. But I have no way of disputing their data.

This make me wonder how trustworthy this can be.

They are going to roll out a hotspot with 3G before one with LTE, so its going to be awhile...

expired said:   They are going to roll out a hotspot with 3G before one with LTE, so its going to be awhile...
Huh? This is already considered a 4G device.

Been using mine since Feb 5, and it seems quite fine. Using the photon hotspot, and metering seems appropriate for what I've been doing which is mainly using for phone as backup when I use up my dataplan. You can't knock it for free..even with having to pay a deposit. Even if company bellies up and you didn't get your deposit back, you'll likely get more than your moneys worth compared to what you'd have to pay for your own monthly service and having to buy a device.

dscline said:   expired said:   They are going to roll out a hotspot with 3G before one with LTE, so its going to be awhile...
Huh? This is already considered a 4G device.
But not LTE. Currently they're using clearwire network which is a WiMax network. The drawback with this is that it only works where clearwire wimax is available - no 3G roaming. What they said was that they will be releasing a 3G capable device next (on Sprint?), but it'll be interesting to see what happens now that clearwire looks like it'll be bought out by Sprint.

Yuyak said:   What they said was that they will be releasing a 3G capable device next ...
Hmmm, ok, I hadn't heard that. That's surprising, since they've already announced that they'd have some LTE devices later this year. It would seem odd to add an interim device between now and then.

dscline said:   Yuyak said:   What they said was that they will be releasing a 3G capable device next ...
Hmmm, ok, I hadn't heard that. That's surprising, since they've already announced that they'd have some LTE devices later this year. It would seem odd to add an interim device between now and then.
At least that's what I heard/read a few months ago. But as I alluded to in my last post, with the recent news of the potential clearwire-Sprint merger and Sprint acquisition by SoftBank (read: lots of cash to invest) I wouldn't be surprised if plans have changed.

I was told this when I complained that I had trouble getting wimax coverage and was thinking about canceling the service.

Ordered the hotspot on 1/27 and received it today -- almost 3 weeks.

With the device off and charging, does the power LED change the color when it's fully charged? (answer: green) I have not found a manual for it.

c3 said:   Ordered the hotspot on 1/27 and received it today -- almost 3 weeks.

With the device off and charging, does the power LED change the color when it's fully charged? (answer: green) I have not found a manual for it.

Yeah, it should be green when fully charged. There is no beeping or any other signal to let you know it's finished but if it's been green for awhile it should have a good charge on it.

The extensive manual is printed on the bottom of the device.

Green Solid = high battery charge
Amber Solid = medium battery charge
Red Solid = low battery charge

I have been using the Photon device with the 500MB Free data plan,for a little more than 2+ months(2 complete billing cycles). I have to say the service itself works, where the RF signal is available and strong. However, in the more rural areas(which I am about 50% of the time), there is generally no service for the Photon Clear WiMax device.

I would caution folks about the 500MB free data plan. The rules for this plan are not actually shown clearly in any fine print that I have been able to locate from FreedomPop.

I currently have an issue with a bill that was paid by CC, I paid the CC bill, and I only now went over the CC bill, but I found a problem - about 35 days after the charge was made. And, I was surprised to read a clause in the FreedomPop agreement that disallows refunds after 30 days past the transaction date, and if a chargeback is issued by the CC company, your service will be suspended. I have to say, this is a fairly clever way for them to keep a positive cash flow.

Combined with the missing fine print about the 500MB Free data plan service & the problems in the agreement regarding billing issues, I will probably discontinue service ASAP. Although, they clearly show "beta", I don't think that's an excuse for the billing issues. In fact, because, it's "beta", they should allow 90 days to allow bills to be discussed reasonably and corrected.

http://www.freedompop.com/service_plan_terms.htm

New offers went live today, check site for updates. Free 2GB first month trial, cancelable online.

beachfitrob said:   If I've got to track it and worry about it, it's not worth my time. I'll just use my phone's hotspot. If it shut off at a programmable limit, I'd recommend it like I do the phone service I use.

Turning off the autobill option (whatever it's called) means the user is cut off at the limit rather than billed for overage. The limit is not programmable but would be the limit specified in the plan.

Are you guys using all your data each month? I have 0.98G each month but don't even come close to maxing it out. The most I used is 300M for a month. Someone suggested I should sell my unused data. What do you guys think. What's a reasonable charge per 100M? I'm not saying that I will, just exploring the option.

shallot said:   Are you guys using all your data each month? I have 0.98G each month but don't even come close to maxing it out. The most I used is 300M for a month. Someone suggested I should sell my unused data. What do you guys think. What's a reasonable charge per 100M? I'm not saying that I will, just exploring the option. Depends on the month. Usually I get to about 700ish mb but this month I was going to go over my 1gb so I sent a request to everyone on my friendlist for spare data (random slickdeals friends). In total, I got about 200mb extra from people who were willing to share. Today is my last day of the month and I still have about 100mb left so I intend to send those back to some of those people.

I'm not sure how you sell unused data, but my plan is to just share my unused data freely to random people at the end of each month.

Article: FreedomPop lets customers rollover unused megabytes each month – for a fee

" ... For a $3.49 a month, you can store up to 500 MB of unused data in a kind of rainy-day fund, which grow to a maximum size of 20 GB. The feature is available to all of its USB dongle and mobile hotspot customers, whether they pay for subscription tiers or indulge in FreedomPop’s free 500 MB plan (though if you enroll in the rollover plan, the service is obviously no longer free). ..."

http://gigaom.com/2013/03/14/freedompop-lets-customer-rollover-unused-megabytes-each-month-for-a-fee/

pokeineye said:   Article: FreedomPop lets customers rollover unused megabytes each month – for a fee

" ... For a $3.49 a month, you can store up to 500 MB of unused data in a kind of rainy-day fund, which grow to a maximum size of 20 GB. The feature is available to all of its USB dongle and mobile hotspot customers, whether they pay for subscription tiers or indulge in FreedomPop’s free 500 MB plan (though if you enroll in the rollover plan, the service is obviously no longer free). ..."

http://gigaom.com/2013/03/14/freedompop-lets-customer-rollover-unused-megabytes-each-month-for-a-fee/

Thanks, wasn't aware of this and $3.49 a month for 500mb rollover is worth it to me

Took a week to get mine... they use a third party shipper in the midwest (OSM Worldwide, Indiana) that drop ships to USPS. No signal here, requested RMA two days ago and still awaiting a response. If your coverage results are inconclusive, DON'T ORDER. You need to be in a WiMax area for this to work, it won't roam on Sprint 3G.

pokeineye said:   Article: FreedomPop lets customers rollover unused megabytes each month – for a fee

I wonder if it means only the original 500MB and not the additional 500MB one can get from friending. If so, that means one pays $41.88/yr to keep up to 6GB of data.

It will also be interesting to see if one enrolls in the rollover, uses 0MB in a month and still gets dinged for no usage.

I really like my FP account, but I think it's a tricky company and one has to really read for gotchas in the offers.

shallot said:   Are you guys using all your data each month? I have 0.98G each month but don't even come close to maxing it out. The most I used is 300M for a month.

I probably use about the same because I am mindful of bandwidth hygiene:

• update apps and other binaries off home wifi
  • set browser and other apps to not load images automatically. This works remarkably well.
  • minimize syncing for non-critical apps

For example, I use Pocket Casts android app to manage podcasts (highly recommended). I load it up to curate new podcast episodes but wait until I get home to actually download them.

shallot said:   Someone suggested I should sell my unused data. What do you guys think.

"This is why we can't have nice things."

I wouldn't do it -- it seems unethical to me. If you decide to pursue it you might want to consult the TOS in case there's something in there about such things. The system is set up to allow us to easily share excess data with real or nominal friends so that's how I shed excess data. Or one my consider buying the rollover.

I have been researching Freedompop for a few hours now and am not sure if I can close the deal with signing up. The only benefit that I can see now is the 3.49 rollover cost which can potentially get you 6GB a year for 41.88. This would be perfect for me since I would only use this device occasionally. The only problem with that is that I can't find this spelled out anywhere on their webpage. I only read articles about it.
During my research I found a competitor that they have: Karma (https://yourkarma.com/). Everything seems to be simple and spelled out to the customer. Device is $79 and it costs $14/gb. Also, anyone can log into your device. If they sign up for free they will get 100mb to use. In turn you get 100mb for letting them use your connection (This does not come out of your data). There is no other fees that I can see, no inactivity fees.
Even though it isn't perfect, I was able to find a coverage map right on Karma's homepage. There is no sign of any coverage map on Freedompop's site (I was able to find one with a link a FW provided earlier but i shouldn't have to DIG for a coverage map like that).
Freedompop seems very sketchy to me. Karma seems to be very simple and straight forward.
Has anyone had any experience with Karma?

mckstpat said:   Has anyone had any experience with Karma?

Yes, karma is a bitch.

Never heard of Karma before, but it's the same device as FreedomPop.

To be clear, with FreedomPop, you get 500mb each month free plus another 500mb each month free for adding FreedomFriends (google this to find an easy way to add people with the device, don't have to know anyone in "real life")

So FreedomPop is effectively 1gb a month free, plus $3.49 (optional) rolls over 500mb into a bank that can grow to 20gb

Both run on same network, Clearwire's WiMax network which will never expand. So same coverage map

PS - Make sure with FreedomPop you use at lean 5mb a month since there is a $0.99 inactivity fee

mckstpat said:   
your device. If they sign up for free they will get 100mb to use. In turn you get 100mb for letting them use your connection (This does not come out of your data). There is no other fees that I can see, no inactivity fees.

In actuality, no one does this...people have never heard of the Karma, so they think it's a hacker's hotspot so they don't sign up (especially since it requires your facebook info).
The $14/1GB non-expiring is true. I've had it since late last year and have only used up 12MB of the 1GB (I'm near wifi most of the time, so only use it when I need to look something up on the go).
No weird usage of your bandwidth like freedompop...no min usage (I've had it off for a month w/o problems).
Device is fairly small and lasts about 6hrs.

I didn't think Freedompop would survive this long or I would have tried it instead and burned more bandwidth
But I'm comfortable w/ how the Karma works...

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Coverage is pretty much the same as Freedompop since they're the same network.

PS - Make sure with FreedomPop you use at lean 5mb a month since there is a $1.99 inactivity fee

Is it a 1.99 inactivity fee or a .99 inactivity fee?

99 cents. My bust. Regardless, easy to avoid.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.