• 189 10 1112
  • Page
  • Text Only
kenyee said:   mckstpat said:   
your device. If they sign up for free they will get 100mb to use. In turn you get 100mb for letting them use your connection (This does not come out of your data). There is no other fees that I can see, no inactivity fees.

In actuality, no one does this...people have never heard of the Karma, so they think it's a hacker's hotspot so they don't sign up (especially since it requires your facebook info).
The $14/1GB non-expiring is true. I've had it since late last year and have only used up 12MB of the 1GB (I'm near wifi most of the time, so only use it when I need to look something up on the go).
No weird usage of your bandwidth like freedompop...no min usage (I've had it off for a month w/o problems).
Device is fairly small and lasts about 6hrs.

I didn't think Freedompop would survive this long or I would have tried it instead and burned more bandwidth
But I'm comfortable w/ how the Karma works...

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Coverage is pretty much the same as Freedompop since they're the same network.

Is the Karma device fee refundable like Freedompop? Does it have a standard mini-usb charge port (to charge in the car)?
What is the range for this device? If I am at a restaurant or a store, will I need to have it in my pocket for the wifi on phone to see it??
How is the speed?

I am returning my device and can't find the usb cable that came with it .. can someone post a pic of what the cable looks like that came with the Photon .. will be much appreciated!...

happy108 said:   I am returning my device and can't find the usb cable that came with it .. can someone post a pic of what the cable looks like that came with the Photon .. will be much appreciated!...

The USB cable is the charger..

http://www.mobilemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/freedompop-2...

passion124 said:   happy108 said:   I am returning my device and can't find the usb cable that came with it .. can someone post a pic of what the cable looks like that came with the Photon .. will be much appreciated!...

The USB cable is the charger..

http://www.mobilemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/freedompop-2...

Thanks for the link @passion124 .. I used an existing car charger to charge the thing so did not use the one included... the picture narrows my search in the "box of wires"

FreedomPop is now offering the 4G/3G Overdrive Plus hot spot on the Sprint network. $40 for new users. Waiting to hear back from them on the details of swapping out the existing 4G only hot spot.

BostonOne said:   FreedomPop is now offering the 4G/3G Overdrive Plus hot spot on the Sprint network. $40 for new users. Waiting to hear back from them on the details of swapping out the existing 4G only hot spot.

Why not just return the current one and order the Overdrive?

The 4G only hotspot was over twice the price, wonder if they'd refund the difference if you swap it with the overdrive plus.

Wow, this is pretty crazy. Anyone heard anything (good/bad) about the Overdrive Pro device? Looks very similar to the Photon, but I wonder how it compares. I noticed the 4g/3g(roaming) plan is $3.99 per month. Whereas if you do 4g only, it seems to be 'free' aside from the cost of the Overdrive Pro unit + shipping.

Hmm, found various (and mixed) reviews @ Amazon. Albeit, none are for reviews of the Overdrive Pro on FreedomPop's network but nonetheless:

http://www.amazon.com/Sprint-Sierra-Wireless-Overdrive-Hotspot/p...

http://www.amazon.com/Overdrive-Pro-Prepaid-Mobile-Virgin/produc...

Wow, reading through the more recent reviews... quite a few people are unhappy with the device, saying it overheats, is slow, takes forever to startup, etc...

>Why not just return the current one and order the Overdrive?
isn't the $40 offer only for new users?

expired said:   >Why not just return the current one and order the Overdrive?
isn't the $40 offer only for new users?

The only limitation is one device per email address. I have both the Spot Photon and the Hub Burst.

Disappointed the 3g/4g version is $4/month. Guess I'll just have to stick to my photon.

Please let me know How to find out 3g/4g version is $4/month? OTG or Home?

3g/4g (131.22kB)
Disclaimer
merv2806 said:   Please let me know How to find out 3g/4g version is $4/month? OTG or Home? If you try to order the 3g/4g device, you'll eventually get to a screen that shows you the different plans (screenshot attached)

If selecting Basic 500MB, $4/month fee could be waived?

I spoke with FreedomPop on Twitter.
With the Overdrive you can still get 500MB free a month without paying $4. However you can only use the 4G network which has limited coverage.
If you want to be able to also use the 3G network, you need to pay $4 for that month. You can switch back and forth from the the free 4G-only to the $4 3G/4G whenever you want.

pkp413 said:   
Is the Karma device fee refundable like Freedompop? Does it have a standard mini-usb charge port (to charge in the car)?
What is the range for this device? If I am at a restaurant or a store, will I need to have it in my pocket for the wifi on phone to see it??
How is the speed?

No, it's not refundable AFAIK (I haven't tried and it's not advertised as a feature like Freedompop does).
It has a micro-USB charge port.
It's just like a regular hotspot. It's wifi, so no you don't have to leave it in your pocket.
Speed is fine for web browsing and email (which is what I use it for). I haven't done any speed testing because that chews up bandwidth.

I got the Photon about a month ago. I get just over 6Mbps down (didn't measure up speed.

Pay attention to the "fine print" on the Freedompop site. There is a 5meg minimum per period or else you get charged a service fee. The 500 meg monthly limit is really 400 meg. The last 100 meg will either cost you, or else you won't be able to use it depending on if you have the automatic top off enabled. Good service, but pay attention. Mine has worked flawlessly.

Google "freedompop friends" to learn about an easy way to add friends so you earn 500 extra free mb per month. Doing this you are effectively at 1gb free per month. I personally added the rollover for $3.49 which carries over 500mb of unused data per month indefinitely, up to 20gb

I am currently locked out of my account even though I have used less than 500 mb. 461 to be exact. Yesterday was my 0 day left according to them and today should be the 1st day of my next pay period. I have had no activity on the account since 2pm yesterday.

Update : turned on auto top off "so called feature" and they credited me $10 sometime later but it didn't show up immediately so I'm thinking it should work now but no still no Internet just some screen trying to get me to upgrade!

I think their 3hr delay is bs too. This is just a ploy on their part to get you over your limit so they can bill you more. The technology is clearly available to have real time updates on how much data we are using. Lastly you obviously do not receive 500mb for "free" in the real since of the wording.

2nd update: Was working again morning of 5/3/13 so i'am guessing turning the top off back on and waiting for who knows how long got it going again. Needless to say don't buy their service for anything that you can't live without for a few days if something goes wrong. I sent them an email about the problem on the first day and still have heard nothing back except a return email saying they got my email.

bestdealever2012 said:   I am currently locked out of my account even though I have used less than 500 mb. 461 to be exact. Yesterday was my 0 day left according to them and today should be the 1st day of my next pay period. I have had no activity on the account since 2pm yesterday.Same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. I couldn't connect for about a week, I emailed them a few times, I erased browser cookies and tried re-signing in, I drained the battery on the device and charged it up again... not sure which of those, if any, made the difference, but I was eventually able to connect again. Hasn't happened again since.

Someone sent me this through PM. Please post in this thread instead.
Hey there, saw your post where you mention you have the Photon and Hub Burst. Are you on any of the paid plans or just doing the completely free ones?

I was contemplating getting both and using the Hub Burst to replace my cable internet (I'd obviously want to buy in that case). Was wondering if you've had any issues with the service or the hardware - how long have you been using them?

Just trying to stake out some real-world reviews before I commit. I'm probably gonna try out the on-the-go service first before switching though. Also not sure if I should get the Overdrive Pro vs Photon or just wait for them to support LTE and get the LTE modem (whenever that is).

I have not paid anything for service yet, but I may try it with Hub Burst. I have used the Hub for a few days (about 750MB), and the only problem so far is the DNS server. It stopped working completely yesterday, and it was problematic this morning. Switching to OpenDNS solved that issue. DNS through Photon was fine, so I don't know why.

Update: Just signed up for the $9.99 basic plan and was charged $2 for the remaining 6 days/2GB of the billing period.

Yuyak said:   bestdealever2012 said:   I am currently locked out of my account even though I have used less than 500 mb. 461 to be exact. Yesterday was my 0 day left according to them and today should be the 1st day of my next pay period. I have had no activity on the account since 2pm yesterday.Same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. I couldn't connect for about a week, I emailed them a few times, I erased browser cookies and tried re-signing in, I drained the battery on the device and charged it up again... not sure which of those, if any, made the difference, but I was eventually able to connect again. Hasn't happened again since.
Same thing is happening to me. I was at 520 MB so 20 over so I paid $2. Then I added tons of friends so I got extra megabytes. Now the month rolled over and all my earned data is gone and I cannot connect. I have a positive credit balance, have a valid credit card on file, have auto top-off disabled, and am more than 100MB away from my limit because it is now a new monthly period and I got lots of 'friends' so I should be able to use the service.

This company has a great business model but is really a joke. This billing system is not rocket science. Good thing I only paid for the USB stick device.

Questions for the gurus.... just got an email from FreedomPop saying they're now available in the area. The offer is:

2GB + 1GB Bonus 100% FREE Wireless Internet
FreedomPop Hotspot only $39.99 (50% off regular price of $89.99)
3GB of Free Data + Hotspot. You pay $39.99 Now! A $95 value FREE
No contracts, no commitments, cancel anytime

The fine print is that it's free for the first month and $19.95 for 2GB/Month thereafter.

I've seen the posts showing the plan offerings, but can I signup and get the promo pricing and data then downgrade account to just the free 500MB? Or would it be better to do a straight buy/signup for the base free plan? I'm looking at this as an occasional emergency hotspot for my wifi iPad.

NoOneHere said:   Questions for the gurus.... just got an email from FreedomPop saying they're now available in the area. The offer is:

The fine print is that it's free for the first month and $19.95 for 2GB/Month thereafter.

I've seen the posts showing the plan offerings, but can I signup and get the promo pricing and data then downgrade account to just the free 500MB? Or would it be better to do a straight buy/signup for the base free plan? I'm looking at this as an occasional emergency hotspot for my wifi iPad.

Don't trust their coverage information. I ordered the Overdrive that is suppose to have coverage where I am but when I received it, the only coverage is for Sprint 3g which is obviously not free. There was absolutely no 4g LTE coverage which is why I got it in the first place. When Freedom pop says you have coverage, they don't tell you if it is 3g or 4g. You'll only find out after the fact. This company uses shady tactics to get business. If you only want 4g coverage, check the Sprint map before ordering. Don't trust FP.

shallot said:   NoOneHere said:   Questions for the gurus.... just got an email from FreedomPop saying they're now available in the area. The offer is:

Don't trust their coverage information. I ordered the Overdrive that is suppose to have coverage where I am but when I received it, the only coverage is for Sprint 3g which is obviously not free. There was absolutely no 4g LTE coverage which is why I got it in the first place. When Freedom pop says you have coverage, they don't tell you if it is 3g or 4g. You'll only find out after the fact. This company uses shady tactics to get business. If you only want 4g coverage, check the Sprint map before ordering. Don't trust FP.

Is the coverage the same as Clear's coverage? Or is it only Sprint's 4G Wimax (and 3G as well, of course).

Just ordered a Hub for my in-laws (and also to evaluate potentially for us), and looked at the Freedompop coverage map in their area. It seems consistent with the Sprint 4G Wimax map I saw. And Clear also had listed coverage for the area they live in.

jplee3 said:   
Is the coverage the same as Clear's coverage? Or is it only Sprint's 4G Wimax (and 3G as well, of course).

Just ordered a Hub for my in-laws (and also to evaluate potentially for us), and looked at the Freedompop coverage map in their area. It seems consistent with the Sprint 4G Wimax map I saw. And Clear also had listed coverage for the area they live in.

For Clear you need a different router that supports WiMax. The Sprint router works for Sprint's 3g/4g LTE. It will not work with Sprint WiMax. I have Sprint WiMax coverage but not LTE. It will only connect via 3g since 4g LTE is not available.

Thanks for the info shallot.
I looked at Sprint's coverage page and noted it is "3G and More" coverage with no LTE or WiMax anywhere around the area.

FreedomPop's dastardly plan averted...

I'll try it for $15.99. I plan to use the free option to pad my prepaid phone plan which gets throttled at 4 gigs. Plus it will expand my coverage a bit maybe.

beachfitrob said:   I'll try it for $15.99. I plan to use the free option to pad my prepaid phone plan which gets throttled at 4 gigs. Plus it will expand my coverage a bit maybe.

which prepaid phone plan is that?

Sweet. Just got the FP Hub - posting this from it actually. Speed tests measure around 8.5mbps down/1.30mbps up. Had an antenna laying around from a previous router and plugged it in for kicks. Not sure if it's helping all that much but we'll see. I'm gonna plug in the Obi110 and give it a spin. Should be interesting... Hopefully the coverage and speeds are as good up at my in-laws place!

jplee3 said:   Just got the FP Hub - posting this from it actually. Speed tests measure around 8.5mbps down/1.30mbps up.

It's supposed to be 1.5Mbps down unless you pay for higher speed. Don't be surprised if the limit kicks in.

Make sure you download the App to check your useage from Google/Apple. You get an extra 200 meg one time for that. Then you can burn phone data vs. hotspot data to check your balance. You might have to look under offers on the site first, click that, then download it. You get extra for downloading stuff, applying for credit cards, signing up for Netflix etc.

So I have 2.2 gig for $15.99, second month will be 500 added on for $3.49 IIRC for the auto rollover. $7 per additional gig basically is pretty cheap and I'll start with a big bucket.

beachfitrob said:   Make sure you download the App to check your useage from Google/Apple. You get an extra 200 meg one time for that. Then you can burn phone data vs. hotspot data to check your balance. You might have to look under offers on the site first, click that, then download it. You get extra for downloading stuff, applying for credit cards, signing up for Netflix etc.

So I have 2.2 gig for $15.99, second month will be 500 added on for $3.49 IIRC for the auto rollover. $7 per additional gig basically is pretty cheap and I'll start with a big bucket.

Rollover is limited to 0.5gb/month, it would be a good deal if it rolled over the entire left-over monthly allotment of data.

pkp413 said:   beachfitrob said:   Make sure you download the App to check your useage from Google/Apple. You get an extra 200 meg one time for that. Then you can burn phone data vs. hotspot data to check your balance. You might have to look under offers on the site first, click that, then download it. You get extra for downloading stuff, applying for credit cards, signing up for Netflix etc.

Rollover is limited to 0.5gb/month, it would be a good deal if it rolled over the entire left-over monthly allotment of data.

True. Well that stinks. Of course if I buy a second device for the wife couldn't I use her 500 free instead through sharing and roll mine over?

I can still build up 500 megs per month at 3.49 and have a bank of up to 20 gigs. So the per meg charge is cheap. And the device was only $16.

Has anyone used this to make a "Lojack" with no monthly fees? Plan is to use this with an Android phone and a motion detecting and GPS app. Coverage is good 99.9% of time where I am.

Do this really mean there is no plan for Sprint to share their network with clearwire customers like us FP'ers?
FP's page is somewhat of a joke: they just tell you the coverage of your home; if I am getting a
mobile hotspot, chances are, I am not using it just a home.

I think the Photon is now priced at $40 (same as the Overdrive). I went ahead and ordered one instead of the Overdrive as I don't intend on using 3g anyway. I've found the coverage (at least on Verizon Prepaid) here at my work really sucks for 3g. However, I tested out the FP Hub I got and the signal is pretty good.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014