• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.amazon.com/PureSpectrum-Fully-Dimmable-Spiral-Equival...

Some states subsidize CFLs, mine doesn't. While you can often find non-dimmable bulbs around $1/each, dimmable is a different story. I couldn't find them for less than $10 anywhere else, I needed 7, at this price point, I was on the verge on removing my dimmer switch and favor of a standard switch. But at $4.05/bulb it's low enough to keep the dimmers.

Amazon
Get Up to 6.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

Light bulbs Fully Dimmable (Pack of 6)
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Coincidentally, yes. I just had the whole house re-wired with a new service panel too (got the amps upgraded). One of th... (more)

bravebiffy (Oct. 05, 2012 @ 3:52p) |

These have worked very well for me:

Lightwiz H20027D - Found at Building 19 in 2005 for $1 or $2 each.

TCP Springlamp 1012... (more)

thc (Oct. 05, 2012 @ 5:25p) |

I bought about 100 generic no name dimmable CFL's from 99 Ranch Market (in CA) about 3 years ago. they were $0.25 each.... (more)

thenew3 (Oct. 05, 2012 @ 6:00p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Would be interested in your feedback on the dimming performance of these. When I've tried dimmable CFLs in the past, they dim to a minimum level which is still reasonably bright. In addition, at low dim levels, I've heard a hum from the bulbs.

BostonOne said:   Would be interested in your feedback on the dimming performance of these. When I've tried dimmable CFLs in the past, they dim to a minimum level which is still reasonably bright. In addition, at low dim levels, I've heard a hum from the bulbs.

I was thinking the same thing. Not only the hum, but some obvious flicker as well.

Daylight corrected bulbs are in the 5400K area. How can they call 2700K warm? This is a pretty cool light in kelvin.

Because 2700K is warm. Lower number, warmer apparent color (red-shifted).
Its using 'warm' as a coloquial or appearance term, not as a scientific measurement. Just like a 'cooler' sun is red, but we perceive red to be a 'warm' color.
6500-10000K would be more blue shifted and appear 'cold'.

These buzz when dimmed!

Excerpts from various Amaz0n reviews:
"...they produce an audible buzz when they're not running at peak brightness."
"...if I dim them at all, they flicker annoyingly and hum loudly."

dimmable CFL is joke- as one said even with the lowest setting its quite bright or said in other words it hardly dims. i got mine from Costco and it was around 2-3 a piece, they have stopped carrying now

fatwellatio said:   These buzz when dimmed!

Excerpts from various Amaz0n reviews:
"...they produce an audible buzz when they're not running at peak brightness."
"...if I dim them at all, they flicker annoyingly and hum loudly."

When will the manufacturer's get dimming CFLs right? Oh, wait... When will China get this right? Probably during the next decade...

Based on my own experience, dimmable CFL has shorter lifespan. And the flicker drives me nuts. I read a study (couldn't find it) that they use just as much power as un-dimmed. Good old incandescent bulbs are the best for dimming.

only wish incandescent bulbs met the newer standards. LED are dimmable to.
But they are expensive, yes the last long too.

kickerstarter said:   Based on my own experience, dimmable CFL has shorter lifespan. And the flicker drives me nuts. I read a study (couldn't find it) that they use just as much power as un-dimmed. Good old incandescent bulbs are the best for dimming.

I bought 40 dimmable 9W LED bulbs from AliExpress for $227.84 shipped. Yes, I know they are from China but they are so cheap IMHO.

yeah I think the best dimabble option for energy savings is LED lights. My dimmable CFLs dont last nearly as long as my regular CFLs.

Another option besides LEDs is CCFL - cold-cathode florescent lamp. CCFLs are hard to find and work well, but the price is about that of LED bulbs.

You also need newer dimmer that's designed for dimmable CFL.

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-6674-P0W-SureSlide-Universal-Incan...

Prngr44 said:   BostonOne said:   Would be interested in your feedback on the dimming performance of these. When I've tried dimmable CFLs in the past, they dim to a minimum level which is still reasonably bright. In addition, at low dim levels, I've heard a hum from the bulbs.

I was thinking the same thing. Not only the hum, but some obvious flicker as well.
FYI- The flicker should go away with the CFL rated dimmers. I say *should* because all but one of my CFL dimmers works right-- but one of them still seems to flicker for some reason.

PureSpectrum is out of business. These bulbs were made by the lowest contract bidder in China. Good luck making a warranty claim if needed.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=Pure+Spectrum&ei=UlpqUPDyE5SGlgO...

http://savannahnow.com/exchange/2010-08-31/purespectrum-deemed-i...

So this is interesting info...Dimmable CFLs like these have high odds of not lasting as long as non dimming CFLs, high odds of humming and use full power no matter where they're dimmed...

So...Better options:
$.50 Incandescent
$5-$10 LEDs from China
Regular CFLs and eliminate of dimmer switch, more attractive option if you plan on upgraded to "rocker" sytle switches anyways.

A warranty claim on a $4 bulb? That's awfully cheap, even for FW.

TheWankeler said:   A warranty claim on a $4 bulb? That's awfully cheap, even for FW.
I had the same thought. Then I thought maybe there was something wrong with me, or I was reading something wrong...but you have validated me, sir. Thank you.

Got mine...They are instant on which is good, when they're on full brightness, no buzz...But start to dim them and they do buzz, gets louder the lower the dim-ness. They flicker when lit very low...I suppose they do the job for now...By the end of the year I plan on upgraded to all rocker switches and will forego a dimmer...

Breaking the sound barrier was easy. Creating a dimmable CFL that doesn't hum is the real challenge.

I have experimented with untold number of different brands of CFLs and they ALL hum and buzz. I was told that it's just the way it is.

bravebiffy said:   I have experimented with untold number of different brands of CFLs and they ALL hum and buzz. I was told that it's just the way it is.

Did you change your dimmer switch as well?

I haven't tried these, but I have plenty that don't hum or buzz. I guess I'll have to look at what brand they are and post up. Someone bump this thread in 5 hours.

WindWalker said:   bravebiffy said:   I have experimented with untold number of different brands of CFLs and they ALL hum and buzz. I was told that it's just the way it is.

Did you change your dimmer switch as well?

Coincidentally, yes. I just had the whole house re-wired with a new service panel too (got the amps upgraded). One of the things they did was change the switches and dimmers.

These have worked very well for me:

Lightwiz H20027D - Found at Building 19 in 2005 for $1 or $2 each.

TCP Springlamp 10120 - Bought from electrical supplier for a whole lot, maybe $18/each, also in 2005. I had a credit to use up and had already bought everything else I could need and didn't know if those Lightwiz ones would be any good...turned out both brands are good.

No flickering or buzzing, even when dimmed.

I bought about 100 generic no name dimmable CFL's from 99 Ranch Market (in CA) about 3 years ago. they were $0.25 each.
Haven't had a single one burn out yet. Some of them are used in environments not quite suitable for CFL's (i.e. frequent on/off, short periods while on).

Out of the 100 or so, about 1/2 of them do buzz while dimmed, the other 1/2 doesn't buzz.

I have changed some of my dimmer switches to the newer "CFL compatible" types and that seems to have gotten rid of a lot of the buzzing.

None of them buzz when at full power/brightness.

If you live in CA near a 99 Ranch Market, you might want to see if they have them on sale. They are kept up front by the check out counter. subsidized by PG&E usually. they also have CFL flood lights for $0.25, although they are indoor floods, I've used about 10 of them outdoors and haven't had any problems. They do take about 30 seconds to a minute to warm up to full brightness.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.