• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
**UPDATE**: Getting it through ACM may be dead, but IEEE is not. YMMV.

I logged in and checked to see what's new and noticed Windows 8 Professional is now available for download!

MSDNAA aka Dreamspark Premium is available free of charge for all student members of IEEE and ACM. ANYONE CAN JOIN! I understand that some schools already provide free access to Dreamspark Premium, but those of us who don't can join these organizations instead!

Student membership fees:
IEEE - $32 Linky
IEEE Software list: Linky
ACM - $19 Linky
ACM Software list: Linky

**NOTE**: ACM signups usually get their MSDNAA login within 2 days. IEEE signups take up to 8 days. See note below.

I've already downloaded and confirmed working installations of two free full versions of both Windows 8 Professional and Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate using memberships from both organizations. There is also tons of other MS software available such as Windows Server 2012.

ACM Typical Sign up Timeline
**NOTE**: ACM is cracking down on Student Status. No problem, If you want to join just fill out the requested information with a legit or seemly legit input
- When you first sign up, there won't be an option for the advisor and school ID. Check back in your account on the main ACM page, log in if needed, under "myACM", "My Student Profile". There you will find the boxes to fill in the student ID and advisor name. If you don't see those fields, wait an hour or two and then check back.
- Once you fill those two in and click save, go back to "My Services" and click on the "Developer Academic Alliance" link. You should then have the opportunity to "opt in". Once you do, it will tell you to wait a few days.
- once you "opt-in", MSDNAA will send you their log-in info within 24 hours (check your junk mail folder - my email was buried in junk)
- once you got your MSDNAA login info, you will be able to log-in here http://e5.onthehub.com/WebStore/ProductsByMajorVersionList.aspx?ws=7bac12f0-9f9b-e011-969d-0030487d8897&vsro=8 and download your software

IEEE Typical Sign up Timeline
Within approximately 8 days of your renewal and payment being processed or your new application being processed and accepted, a separate e-mail with user account and login information to access your free software will be sent to the e-mail address on your IEEE record. Please make sure you provide your e-mail address because that is the only way you will receive information about the offer.
- wait <8 days
- get an email from MSDNAA

**UPDATE**: Evidently you cannot sign up for the half-year IEEE option at $16, so changed prices.

Member Summary

windows 8
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Update:

It looks like Win8 is no longer available through Dreamspark. I logged in tonight to see if there was anything ne... (more)

peterl1365 (Dec. 11, 2012 @ 10:34p) |

ACM does NOT allow you to get Windows 8 from what I see. They specifically say that $19 level does not get you "Microsof... (more)

bob12751 (Dec. 12, 2012 @ 2:32a) |

I signed up through IEEE, and I did manage to get one license key through Dreamspark Premium. I went back to get a secon... (more)

peterl1365 (Dec. 17, 2012 @ 9:56p) |

Title should be clearer....this is only for STUDENT members, regular IEEE members do not get this benefit

Free To Keep After No Longer A Student
Students who have received software under the DreamSpark Subscription may continue to use such software when they are no longer students provided that they do so in accordance with these terms.

Restrictions.
You may not use the software for commercial purposes
You may not use the software to develop or maintain your own administrative or IT systems.

No commercial use.
If you use the software to create software programs, you may only commercially use or distribute them upon the purchase of appropriate commercial license(s) for the software. You may however submit software programs that you create using the DreamSpark Subscription software to Microsoft app stores, including for revenue.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Interesting. A Student Member must carry at least 50% of a normal full-time academic program as a registered undergraduate or graduate student in a regular course of study in IEEE-designated fields.

How is this open to anyone?

Dotbody said:   Interesting. A Student Member must carry at least 50% of a normal full-time academic program as a registered undergraduate or graduate student in a regular course of study in IEEE-designated fields.

Good thing they don't check.

How many licenses are you able to get?

I remember receiving all my win 7 keys from this program a long time ago.
If I recall, they had two keys (one 32 bit and one 64 bit) and each was offered in about four different languages...but the keys all worked with an English install.

Didn't they pull the keys after everyone signed up just to get them? I seem to recall something went down like that....

I had already gotten my Windows 8 key from IEEE before I saw this post. It only let me get 1 English key and 1 foreign language key (I chose French) before it wouldn't let me get anymore

That makes 2 licenses from IEEE, 2 from Auburn's MSDNAA program, and a $15 upgrade for a laptop I bought... that should last me for a while I'm also enjoying VS2012 - they did a good job with it.

Note that Auburn's MSDNAA program is the "premium" one, so you get 1-license for 64-bit, one for 32-bit, then download the language pack if you need them. I suspect this is how most universities will work.

BeanTech said:   I remember receiving all my win 7 keys from this program a long time ago.
If I recall, they had two keys (one 32 bit and one 64 bit) and each was offered in about four different languages...but the keys all worked with an English install.

Didn't they pull the keys after everyone signed up just to get them? I seem to recall something went down like that....

Wow after the Win7 debacle I cannot believe they are doing it again. I got in during the Win7 deal and all my keys are still fine (activated one in the last couple of months). I think those that got pulled were folks who were selling them on eBay or giving/selling them to their friends. I also got keys from an even earlier survey debacle for Vista and some other stuff and they are still good too. Basically if you this is for your own use based on previously "deals" you will probably be fine (of course things could change). Also if you are going to do this I wouldn't wait. Last time after the major influx of folks they pulled the Win7 keys from ACM members anyway.

The IEEE site does not allow me to register for the $16 1/2 yr membership... its forcing a $32 full year membership.. Any ideas?

Just downloaded! Lets see what all the fuss is about..thanks OPS

abcgiant said:   The IEEE site does not allow me to register for the $16 1/2 yr membership... its forcing a $32 full year membership.. Any ideas?

Stopped a while ago (Aug 16).

respdoc said:   abcgiant said:   The IEEE site does not allow me to register for the $16 1/2 yr membership... its forcing a $32 full year membership.. Any ideas?

Stopped a while ago (Aug 16).

Thanks for the info - updated.

Eryeal said:   Dotbody said:   ...How is this open to anyone?
So I don't mean to TC, but if you're not honoring the terms of service, why even bother paying $16-19 bucks for it? Why not go the "5 finger discount" method? In other words, why lie about being a student when you can just lie about owning it legally? I say this tongue-in-cheek, but I'm looking to understand.

On another note, I believe there are stipulations on what you can do with your licenses. When I had access to the MSDNAA as a student, I don't believe you could resell the computer(s) you install it on.

Eryeal said:   Dotbody said:   Interesting. A Student Member must carry at least 50% of a normal full-time academic program as a registered undergraduate or graduate student in a regular course of study in IEEE-designated fields.

Meaning:
if you are not student that would be a fraud, about as legit as pirated software.

I understand that there is a difference in usability.
pirated software usually use illegal keys / hacks for activation,
which occasionally get fixed by MS.
and here you have legal key( even though received illegally ) which will work for ever.

So it is between you and your conscience.

I wish they had something similar for High school students %) like Adobe has now.

Ooops said:   Eryeal said:   Dotbody said:   Interesting. A Student Member must carry at least 50% of a normal full-time academic program as a registered undergraduate or graduate student in a regular course of study in IEEE-designated fields.

Meaning: if you are not student that would be a fraud, about as legit as pirated software ...

I wish they had something similar for High school students %) like Adobe has now.

Does your HS offer college level tech courses (A+, Network+ etc...)? If so you can check and see if you get Dreamspark with them.

Dotbody said:   Eryeal said:   Dotbody said:   ...How is this open to anyone?
So I don't mean to TC, but if you're not honoring the terms of service, why even bother paying $16-19 bucks for it? Why not go the "5 finger discount" method? In other words, why lie about being a student when you can just lie about owning it legally? I say this tongue-in-cheek, but I'm looking to understand.

On another note, I believe there are stipulations on what you can do with your licenses. When I had access to the MSDNAA as a student, I don't believe you could resell the computer(s) you install it on.

Well I usually reply the same way - unless you've never purposefully gone over the speed limit (ie breaking the law) in your entire life, then you really can't say something about this.

But the real answer to your question is - with pirated software, there is always the risk of viruses, malware, license being revoked, etc. At least with these keys, that's generally not going to happen. And of course you are supporting a good organization monetarily at the same time, so in essence, somewhat "paying" for the item, versus stealing. In a Robin Hood sort of way.

I'll make up for it by buying a Surface tablet on day of release.

GudSpellur said:   Ooops said:   Eryeal said:   Dotbody said:   Interesting. A Student Member must carry at least 50% of a normal full-time academic program as a registered undergraduate or graduate student in a regular course of study in IEEE-designated fields.

Meaning: if you are not student that would be a fraud, about as legit as pirated software ...

Does your HS offer college level tech courses (A+, Network+ etc...)? If so you can check and see if you get Dreamspark with them.

I am out of HS for awhile now. My kids still are, and I don't think they have this kind of classes.
I might check though, thanks for the advice.

BeanTech said:   I remember receiving all my win 7 keys from this program a long time ago.

Yes I got in one this too from ACM in August 2009. They shut it down a week or two in I believe due to people just signing up for the software. I went in and got all my keys up-front as soon as I could log in, so it worked out for me. Still, I'm surprised to be seeing them do it again...

I'm already a full IEEE member, but never heard about this. Is this for everyone or just students?

expired said:   I'm already a full IEEE member, but never heard about this. Is this for everyone or just students?

All IEEE members.

For folks considering ACM I'd *guess* that the risk of them pulling Win8 before you can get access to it, is not zero. It looks like, from what I have read on other forums (I am not getting in on this deal because I have mostly gone to Linux) that they still have their disclaimer about not having Win7 from their last debacle. I am guessing their threshold this time around will be lower. Not saying don't do it but just be prepared in case you don't get Win8 for your $16.

I have a free IEEE account from years back and able to login on the ieee.org but doesn't work with the d/l site. Do you need to have a premium "paid" IEEE account?

Dotbody said:   So I don't mean to TC, but if you're not honoring the terms of service, why even bother paying $16-19 bucks for it? Why not go the "5 finger discount" method? In other words, why lie about being a student when you can just lie about owning it legally? I say this tongue-in-cheek, but I'm looking to understand.

If you look at it by this analogy, you're obtaining the software from a more reliable source (Microsoft itself) than from pirated sources. They give you a legit key, so you won't have to jump through hoops to circumvent anti-piracy measures. Assuming the keys don't expire (I'm almost certain they don't), you also don't have to worry about the crack/key used to "activate" the software breaking in the future as often happens with pirated MS software. And it's much lower risk (aside from if IEEE/ACM realized you weren't a student), so you don't have to worry about getting a nastygram or the possibility of malware being embedded in it.

Nonetheless, should I jump on this now if I'm a student (CS, so i'd probably sign up with ACM)? Or is the deal disappearing just a concern for those who aren't actual students?

Ooops said:   Eryeal said:   Dotbody said:   Interesting. A Student Member must carry at least 50% of a normal full-time academic program as a registered undergraduate or graduate student in a regular course of study in IEEE-designated fields.

Meaning:
if you are not student that would be a fraud, about as legit as pirated software.

Then why not buy a full IEEE or ACM membership?

Thanks for the heads up! Checked out my MSDNAA account and it's very much there.

thehelios said:   Thanks for the heads up! Checked out my MSDNAA account and it's very much there.

wait, so if you already have an account, can you now get win8 as well?

Portions of the IEEE Web site are currently unavailable

^^ Uh oh

lordoffire said:   thehelios said:   Thanks for the heads up! Checked out my MSDNAA account and it's very much there.

Yes. I already had an MSDNAA account as I'm a Computer Science major and my school provides it to us for free. And I am able to download it. It's officially been released to manufacturers and I guess they're also releasing it to MSDNAA accounts as users who have that type of account already know what to do with it.

Image of MSDNAA page

I have been a member of IEEE for over 20 years and I have no idea how to get on to this deal. MSDNAA account? I never heard of such thing and when I login to my IEEE account, I see no way of getting the account. Searching for "MSDNAA" or "dreamspark" on IEEE website seem to tell me that this is only for student member.

Eryeal said:   expired said:   I'm already a full IEEE member, but never heard about this. Is this for everyone or just students?

All IEEE members.

I don't think that this is true. It is only for "student member". You might want to change the header.

Same here. Can't find where to access Windows 8 software for full/regular members. Anyone has direct link for non-student members?

thehelios said:   lordoffire said:   thehelios said:   Thanks for the heads up! Checked out my MSDNAA account and it's very much there.

Yes. I already had an MSDNAA account as I'm a Computer Science major and my school provides it to us for free. And I am able to download it. It's officially been released to manufacturers and I guess they're also releasing it to MSDNAA accounts as users who have that type of account already know what to do with it.

Image of MSDNAA page

sweet....I don't plan on using it, but you never know

ambrisht said:   Same here. Can't find where to access Windows 8 software for full/regular members. Anyone has direct link for non-student members?

There is no direct link. You are given the MSDNAA account access by email when you sign up for a IEEE/ACM student membership. Regular member does not get access.

Downgrade rights to Win7? It doesn't list it.

I had inadvertently subscribed to a magazine for $5. I just called IEEE to get a refund. While she was processing it I asked her about the MSDNAA. She confirmed that I would get an email in about a week with the login info. Sweet.

I am a long time member of the IEEE and never heard of this offer. I did some research and found that this is just for student members.
http://www.ieee.org/membership_services/membership/students/stud...

OP, please change the subject to indicate this is just for legitimate student members of IEEE/ACM

Shouldn't this be under free things worth less than $5 forum? :-P

Thanks OP! I'm a legitimate student but was unaware of these!

Thanks OP....

Misleading title- only for student members of IEEE or ACM.

Skipping 108 Messages...
bob12751 said:   ACM does NOT allow you to get Windows 8 from what I see. They specifically say that $19 level does not get you "Microsoft Dreamspark Premium package." Premium package is required to get a client version of Windows 8. see: dreamspark website

I signed up through IEEE, and I did manage to get one license key through Dreamspark Premium. I went back to get a second key, just in case, and that's when I saw that Win8 was no longer there. This deal appears to be dead *unless* you really can use all the developer tools that are included. Without Win7, Win8, Word and Excel, there isn't a widespread appeal to most everyday users.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014