• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
MoviePass -unlimited movies in Theaters for monthly fee (Around $30)

Link to sign up for invite

Link to article

Member Summary

moviepass
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts

aarzi (Nov. 29, 2012 @ 2:30a) |

He could still do it with a 4g ipod touch.

icecow (Jan. 12, 2013 @ 3:11p) |

It gave me this code for invites: https://www.moviepass.com/splashes if this helps anyone. I just did it from FB. Sad th... (more)

SURIAAH (Jan. 12, 2013 @ 4:14p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I wonder how long this 'movieclub' will last?

1. iPhone app only at this time
2. Can only see a movie once
3. No advance purchase/reserving of tickets
4. Requires you to pay via debit/credit card FROM YOUR PHONE (a MAJOR no-no)

Thanks anyway OP. As to cjbell's question...well, it's been in beta for a while now but I imagine it'll end if/when enough people sign up to cause theaters to start realizing they're losing money and thus withdrawing their location from participating.

cjbell said:   I wonder how long this 'movieclub' will last?

I remember when AMC had something like this and that lasted maybe 6 months. It was so long ago like early 2000s when they did that.

Link is dead

bugsie said:   1. iPhone app only at this time

Thanks anyway OP. As to cjbell's question...well, it's been in beta for a while now but I imagine it'll end if/when enough people sign up to cause theaters to start realizing they're losing money and thus withdrawing their location from participating.

Why is paying from your phone a big no no? It's a secure connection. It's just as "bad" as paying from your computer.

arun21 said:   bugsie said:   1. iPhone app only at this time

Why is paying from your phone a big no no? It's a secure connection. It's just as "bad" as paying from your computer.

Agreed. The only "No-no" is probably submitting your credit card information over an unsecured public Wi-fi. Otherwise using your own encrypted network or cellular connection is fairly safe.

I would totally do this for $30/month if was available to me. I love going to the theatre.

arun21 said:   Why is paying from your phone a big no no? It's a secure connection. It's just as "bad" as paying from your computer.

If your computer was still as unprotected as it was in 1994 then yes, "about as safe". I'm not here to explain identity theft to you folks. If you read most of the latest security and ID theft prevention literature you'd see it really ISN'T a "secured connection" at all.

Do it if you like but I say no thanks due to the risk.

Does anyone have an invite yet? what theatre chains are participating?

bugsie said:   arun21 said:   Why is paying from your phone a big no no? It's a secure connection. It's just as "bad" as paying from your computer.

If your computer was still as unprotected as it was in 1994 then yes, "about as safe". I'm not here to explain identity theft to you folks. If you read most of the latest security and ID theft prevention literature you'd see it really ISN'T a "secured connection" at all.

Do it if you like but I say no thanks due to the risk.
[Citation Needed]

would be great for homeless during the winter --- no, I am serious

germanpope said:   would be great for homeless during the winter --- no, I am serious

Or you get fired from work and don't want to tell the wife, now you'll have a place to go hang out.

It would be a good deal if it included free popcorn, soda and a hot dog!

BigMunch said:   Does anyone have an invite yet? what theatre chains are participating?

Invites were given out a while ago (this thing's been in Beta for a YEAR following initial disastrous release). New one's will not be available until around Thanksgiving per the articles I've read. Looks like NO theaters are "participating" (that was the problem in initial release - that theaters were mad that someone was "reselling" their ticket stock without authorization...a problem still unresolved I might add).

Here's some more info on the latest release : http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/moviepass-tries-unlimted-m...
Most interesting (to me at least) is the rollout going forward WITHOUT the theaters still. Reading the linked article above though one sees "MoviePass appears to have done an end run around theaters by partnering with Hollywood Movie Money, which has preexisting contracts with many exhibitors. (AMC, which refused to honor MoviePass vouchers in June, is part of the Movie Money network; Landmark Theatres is not.)"

Should be some crazy times ahead for these folks (and their customers).

As for request for "citation"...well, Yukak, I couldn't begin to list the mounds of research tools I use on a daily basis. I've kept on top of this stuff for years but I think most of that info could be found with good Google searching. Sorry, I just don't have the time to go redo all my research.

germanpope said:   would be great for homeless during the winter --- no, I am serious

If you're in Texas, it would be during the summers.
When I was unemployed and it was scorching summer heat, I would head out to my local second-run theater to their 50c Tuesday shows during the morning, and sneak in to another movie (or two) just so I could spend the day in AC.

Would be great for homeless with an iphone

bugsie said:   
As for request for "citation"...well, Yukak, I couldn't begin to list the mounds of research tools I use on a daily basis. I've kept on top of this stuff for years but I think most of that info could be found with good Google searching. Sorry, I just don't have the time to go redo all my research.

So in other words you have none. Perhaps you will link us to a few fear-mongering websites providing those 'research tools' (for a minimal fee of course) as well. An iPhone represents a LOWER risk than your typical desktop PC as it's much more resistant to viruses and keyloggers (and anything else apple doesn't approve but i digress) since you can't even install anything Apple hasn't approved.

This sounds like the same paranoia back in the early 2000s when omg giving my CC info to this 'Amazon' website might be "dangerous"...

Besides all that, just about every CC has zero liability for fraudulent charges...and the rest are legally limited to $50. (in the US, which is where this app is designed for)

I signed up, waiting for an invite. The movie theatre is 2 blocks from me. I spend 30 bucks for two tickets (NYC) every time I go...which is often. Combine this with free refills of popcorn and soda and i'ma be a movie junkie overnight.

ciscoopa said:   bugsie said:   

So in other words you have none. Perhaps you will link us to a few fear-mongering websites providing those 'research tools' (for a minimal fee of course) as well. An iPhone represents a LOWER risk than your typical desktop PC as it's much more resistant to viruses and keyloggers (and anything else apple doesn't approve but i digress) since you can't even install anything Apple hasn't approved.

This sounds like the same paranoia back in the early 2000s when omg giving my CC info to this 'Amazon' website might be "dangerous"...

Besides all that, just about every CC has zero liability for fraudulent charges...and the rest are legally limited to $50. (in the US, which is where this app is designed for)

I signed up, waiting for an invite. The movie theatre is 2 blocks from me. I spend 30 bucks for two tickets (NYC) every time I go...which is often. Combine this with free refills of popcorn and soda and i'ma be a movie junkie overnight.

Well, I have none to provide to the lazy as there are many and most are technical so probably over the head of many here. No "fearmongering sites" (I don't read those...sorry) just plain old security in computing type sites and I've read far too much to give you a cite (go look...there's plenty out there about cell phone security and if you think your iPhone's 100% secure then, well, it must be nice not to face reality).

Back in 2000 it wasn't giving Amazon your CC that was dangerous it was the unsecured transfer of that info that was (and still is) a concern. If you don't understand that (and the difference between the 2) then I can understand your statements.

Limited liability for CC charges isn't really the issue here. Sure you can contact your CC company, have them investigate, get the charges reversed, and be issued a new card but that seems like a huge hassle to me (again, YMMV).

I'm happy you like the site, the plan and I honestly hope you enjoy the movies. I see so many movies for free these days it's not worth it for me but it sounds like you'l be getting your money's worth (assuming it works) and I also hope you don't suffer ID theft. I just threw that out there as ONE of the reasons I personally didn't like the idea. I also don't like smoking cigs and avoid it. That doesn't mean other folks can't smoke 'em if they like (and take the risk to their own health).

I think it sounds like a very interesting idea, but I wonder how the theaters settle up with the studios. Most of the ticket price goes to them. I haven't seen specifics in years, but it typically started at 90% for the first week or two and gradually declines to 50% or so. It was a little indirect, but theaters would effectively compete to get the best releases by charging higher ticket prices, and "special engagement" exclusions for discounted prices are basically for the studio to avoid discounts.

It seems like a smart plan for studios competing with home theaters, but they didn't seem like they'd be open to such significant and varying discounts. I assume the subscription would be evenly split based on all movies the consumer saw each month. After a cut for MoviePass, that could be a big drop in revenue per capita.

For the theaters, it seems like a no-brainer, it makes perfect sense for them to promote this as long as it doesn't sour their studio relationships.

My guess is that they are not inviting any new members at this point, just spamming the internet to see how many people they will get to sign up for an invite.
They then can use that number to take their case (to whoever they need to ) to prove that interest is high and this will be a succesful venture.

yup, invite-only launch for current members and those who signed up on the waitlist before the 10/2 rollout; though members can invite up to 10 friends to join (per their blog)

see also this Fast Company article for more perspective and historical background

I got an invite today.

Got an invite last week, forgot about it but they extended the deadline until tonight so I looked at it again.

Looks intriguing but too expensive, $35/month for 1 year with early termination fee is too much for me (I hate being locked into a contract).

kami333 said:   Got an invite last week, forgot about it but they extended the deadline until tonight so I looked at it again.

Looks intriguing but too expensive, $35/month for 1 year with early termination fee is too much for me (I hate being locked into a contract).

Not only is there an early termination fee but if you cancel early then you also have to pay the difference (for the entire period) for the retail price of the tickets you used in excess of your monthly fee. Ridiculous!

Daniel18399 said:   kami333 said:   Got an invite last week, forgot about it but they extended the deadline until tonight so I looked at it again.

Not only is there an early termination fee but if you cancel early then you also have to pay the difference (for the entire period) for the retail price of the tickets you used in excess of your monthly fee. Ridiculous!

I'm out!!!

Oh, great! FW is at it again! Auto double-posting.
Bring on the red!

aarzi said:   Oh, great! FW is at it again! Auto double-posting.
Bring on the red!

haritn said:   germanpope said:   would be great for homeless during the winter --- no, I am serious
Would be great for homeless with an iphone

He could still do it with a 4g ipod touch.

It gave me this code for invites: https://www.moviepass.com/splashes if this helps anyone. I just did it from FB. Sad that there's no further info about it, this is intriguing.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014