• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB at Best Buy for $99 YMMV

http://stores.bestbuy.com/2505/open-box/computers-tablets/tablets-ipad/blackberry-playbook-tablet-with-16gb-memory/PRD-38548-001/200001312479598/

Most stores are liquidating them from their inventory and sending them back to the manufacturer or Best Buy is stockpiling them somewhere. All of San Diego's Best Buy stores have been mysteriously cleared out of PlayBooks overnight. The item was also pulled from their website. There should be some left around the country. Post here if you find any!

And in case you're wondering, yes that's probably still in stock for $79 at that store because I'm not grabbing it.

Searched and no see it posted. copied from another site...

Member Summary

BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Blackberry Playbook Android Apps. Most of them are free.

littleswallow (Oct. 05, 2012 @ 4:20p) |

LOL

whatsupwitdis (Oct. 06, 2012 @ 4:17a) |

whatsupwitdis (Oct. 06, 2012 @ 8:46p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Btw...I have one of these and love it. It's a great little tablet that is highly underrated!!

Good price! The title of this article says it all. Blackberry needs to get these moving. More iPads Shipped Daily on Average Than PlayBook Tablets in A Quarter

I will wait for a month to get the Nexus Play for $99. Playbook will probably be $49.99 for black friday and it will one of the items still remaining by Sunday...

fatxman said:   I will wait for a month to get the Nexus Play for $99. Playbook will probably be $49.99 for black friday and it will one of the items still remaining by Sunday...

I've only seen rumors of that price, and nothing confirmed. Do you have any updated and reliable information?

As it is, I have barely used my iPad or HP Touchpad. I just can't get into the 'no real keyboard' thing. I am in the minority now, but I wonder if future tablets will incorporate real keyboards.

My Lenovo i5 X220 is my go to machine. It's the best machine I've ever owned and was priced a shade above an iPad with far more capabilities and stunning battery life (I've routinely gotten 15+ hours on a standard 6 cell) with wifi on. Too bad Lenovo has ditched the Thinkpad keyboard on the next gen X line.

Sorry for the across the board rant.

JesseLivermore said:   fatxman said:   I will wait for a month to get the Nexus Play for $99. Playbook will probably be $49.99 for black friday and it will one of the items still remaining by Sunday...
I just can't get into the 'no real keyboard' thing. I am in the minority now, but I wonder if future tablets will incorporate real keyboards.


There was a very popular company that completely dominated the upper-end of the smartphone market who continued to push physical keyboards for years after it was clear to everyone that they would go away. Can't remember their name though, but their stock went from $80 to $8 in a few years and they gave up almost their entire market share with nothing more than a whimper from their CEO(s) that "touchscreen is a fad".

Wait, nevermind, that was RIM, makers of this tablet.

Alexsoccerboy said:   JesseLivermore said:   
I just can't get into the 'no real keyboard' thing. I am in the minority now, but I wonder if future tablets will incorporate real keyboards.


There was a very popular company that completely dominated the upper-end of the smartphone market who continued to push physical keyboards for years after it was clear to everyone that they would go away. Can't remember their name though, but their stock went from $80 to $8 in a few years and they gave up almost their entire market share with nothing more than a whimper from their CEO(s) that "touchscreen is a fad".

Wait, nevermind, that was RIM, makers of this tablet.


And on that note, just remember that Microsoft is coming out with their own tablet soon called Surface which has a keyboard as part of its cover. And I believe they finally killed Zune.

it is possible that these playbooks are being hoarded somewhere until the new blackberry phone line comes out with new OS. that OS is incredible and cutting edge. the original programmer of it was from a software manufacturer that installed software in nuclear plants and refinery equipment. it will be all business with an "all you need and nothing you don't" apps and business related only apps like SAP.

someday, people will tire of the one button ipad interface. so after interest goes up, they will then re-release these playbooks to the public at 199 ea.

ok. this is just my theory.

BananaQ said:   it is possible that these playbooks are being hoarded somewhere until the new blackberry phone line comes out with new OS. that OS is incredible and cutting edge. the original programmer of it was from a software manufacturer that installed software in nuclear plants and refinery equipment. it will be all business with an "all you need and nothing you don't" apps and business related only apps like SAP.

someday, people will tire of the one button ipad interface. so after interest goes up, they will then re-release these playbooks to the public at 199 ea.

ok. this is just my theory.


the "original programmer." does that mean that he is no longer part of the project, leaving it to others to change to their will?

Any good offline gps app for this? I used the playbook for a month when it came out and browser was ok for reading online news etc. I switched to android tablets but perhaps some would like this at this price if it had gps turn by turn nav.

I think at this price it's a better deal then when HP had a fire sale with their touchpad. Plus I pretty certain that these will get the new BB10 when it get's released. My brother purchased one at $150 from Bestbuy last winter and he's pretty happy with it. Not going to blow you away with specs but it a quality built tablet.

Alexsoccerboy said:   JesseLivermore said:   fatxman said:   I will wait for a month to get the Nexus Play for $99. Playbook will probably be $49.99 for black friday and it will one of the items still remaining by Sunday...
I just can't get into the 'no real keyboard' thing. I am in the minority now, but I wonder if future tablets will incorporate real keyboards.


There was a very popular company that completely dominated the upper-end of the smartphone market who continued to push physical keyboards for years after it was clear to everyone that they would go away. Can't remember their name though, but their stock went from $80 to $8 in a few years and they gave up almost their entire market share with nothing more than a whimper from their CEO(s) that "touchscreen is a fad".

Wait, nevermind, that was RIM, makers of this tablet.


LOL.

Touchť.

JesseLivermore said:   fatxman said:   I will wait for a month to get the Nexus Play for $99. Playbook will probably be $49.99 for black friday and it will one of the items still remaining by Sunday...

I've only seen rumors of that price, and nothing confirmed. Do you have any updated and reliable information?

As it is, I have barely used my iPad or HP Touchpad. I just can't get into the 'no real keyboard' thing. I am in the minority now, but I wonder if future tablets will incorporate real keyboards.

My Lenovo i5 X220 is my go to machine. It's the best machine I've ever owned and was priced a shade above an iPad with far more capabilities and stunning battery life (I've routinely gotten 15+ hours on a standard 6 cell) with wifi on. Too bad Lenovo has ditched the Thinkpad keyboard on the next gen X line.

Sorry for the across the board rant.


Why can't you use a bluetooth keyboard? Amazon sells one that is pretty good for around $30.

Also, can you use Android apps on this? Didn't BB say at one point that they are going to support Android apps? And if so, it seems like a good deal to have access to Android apps for a lot cheaper than other tablets.

I sure hope they release it for $99, it would sell like hot bread, but so far Asus is denying it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nexus-7-Jelly-Bean-Kindle-Fire-...

BananaQ said:   that OS is incredible and cutting edge. the original programmer of it was from a software manufacturer that installed software in nuclear plants and refinery equipment.

because nuclear plants and refineries are known for their really nice software?

None in my Area

What's the app selection like for this platform? Is this even something that would be developed for within the next year?

There is an app store for it, but from what I've read it also runs Android apps which opens it up to a lot of selection.
I've been checking the Best Buys around me, both in person and online, and none are in stock. The guy looked at me today like he had never heard of a Blackberry Playbook. Which, given it's famous flameout right after introduction, seemed fitting. Most stores probably got rid of theirs months ago.
Still, for this price it's probably not a bad deal and I would pick one up if I could find one.

BananaQ said:   it was from a software manufacturer that installed software in nuclear plants and refinery equipment.

BB Playbook, and BB10, run atop the QNX operating system, which is used by, among others, many automobile manufacturers. It has proven stability and reliability.

dpid said:   Also, can you use Android apps on this? Didn't BB say at one point that they are going to support Android apps? And if so, it seems like a good deal to have access to Android apps for a lot cheaper than other tablets.

Yes, BB10 runs Android apps, but most Android implementations run on top of Linux, and and many use Google's extensions, neither of which is available on BB10. Some Android apps (games) use the native OS for efficiency -- these apps won't run on Playbook -- plus the screen size may confuse those that do. The Google extensions (among them billing, and maps) mean that apps which require you to buy things won't run on BB10 -- and most popular games these days rely on "in-app purchase." So you may be able to run Android apps on the Playbook, or not. Many simple Android apps do run without any issues. (For those apps you can't run, it's possible developers can build custom Blackberry 10/Playbook versions.)

Thanks, OP. I actually picked up the open box at the one you listed, to play with it. We'll see how it goes.

When are the new 4G LTE Playbooks coming?

whatsupwitdis said:   When are the new 4G LTE Playbooks coming?

The cake is a lie

yes, as industrial/ businesslike as you can get. the playbook is built solid too, like it is made by bmw. you can feel the quality of the glass the logo, the assembly. plus the display is gorgeous unlike most sub $200 android tablets. once new OS comes out, this would be a steal at this price.

no, i am not a blackberry fan boy. nor am i an apple hater. i just call it as it is. a good product.


dewolfxy said:   BananaQ said:   that OS is incredible and cutting edge. the original programmer of it was from a software manufacturer that installed software in nuclear plants and refinery equipment.

because nuclear plants and refineries are known for their really nice software?

JorgeG said:   I sure hope they release it for $99, it would sell like hot bread, but so far Asus is denying it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nexus-7-Jelly-Bean-Kindle-Fire-...


Google is not denying it. How do you know that someone else is not on it? It could be Acer which makes cheaper and lower quality tablets as they have done for 10" tablets. It makes sense that they would make a lower priced version. Google is not married to Asus when it comes to tablets.

BigBigTex said:   BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB at Best Buy for $99 YMMV

http://stores.bestbuy.com/2505/open-box/computers-tablets/tablets-ipad/blackberry-playbook-tablet-with-16gb-memory/PRD-38548-001/200001312479598/

Most stores are liquidating them from their inventory and sending them back to the manufacturer or Best Buy is stockpiling them somewhere. All of San Diego's Best Buy stores have been mysteriously cleared out of PlayBooks overnight. The item was also pulled from their website. There should be some left around the country. Post here if you find any!

And in case you're wondering, yes that's probably still in stock for $79 at that store because I'm not grabbing it.

Searched and no see it posted. copied from another site...


SKU# ??

i guess at this price it's not as much of an issue...but be aware. i bought one that was a total dud! had to jump through a lot of hoops to get a new one (which has worked pretty well - but with the $50 charger!)

is this a android os never have a black berry book before?
is this good tablet for web brower facebook online movie youtube Netflix?

he biggest feature though is Android app emulation. Thatís right, OS 2 now has enabled Android app support without much changes needed to the Android app to get it working on Blackberry OS 2.

I despised rim / blackberry more then probably anyone on this forum, but when i went to best buy a few months ago to buy a kindle... i walked out with a playbook and have been really impressed with it. While I can't understand what people want tablets for since the lack of a physical keyboard makes me pass over using the tablet vs a laptop, i still think compared to other tablets for the money i paid it is excellent.

Blackberry Playbook Android Apps. Most of them are free.

DovleK said:   whatsupwitdis said:   When are the new 4G LTE Playbooks coming?

The cake is a lie


LOL




Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014