• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

$6mm Snell theater
Disclaimer

Snell OH-T7
Disclaimer
I've been searching for quality in-ceiling speakers for my theater and found these highly-recommended speakers at an 83% discount, just $50 each; I bought 4 for my surrounds. I was happy to see that they have tweeters that you can point towards the listener at a 20degree angle.

SNELL OH-T7 Full-range 6.5-inch - $50

I hadn't heard of Snell, but found out they were a high-end 100% American made manufacturer that was bought by Boston Acoustics in 2005, then they discontinued the line 2 years ago due to the economy.

Here's and article about the company's history --> History

And, this $6 million Home Theater only used Snell speakers --> $6mm Snell Theater

The OH-T7 utilizes our “Directed Power” tweeter, a custom waveguide that gives the sound of a large full-range speaker. This design feature alone surpasses all other round flush-mount speakers. The “Directed Power” tweeter gives near constant beam width over a much wider range of frequencies than “pivoting eye socket” tweeters. By aiming it at a 20 degree angle we can direct the energy toward the listening position and assure clarity and imaging that is remarkable for an in-ceiling speaker. Alternatively, when used as a surround speaker the system can be aimed away from listeners so that energy bounces off of adjacent wall surfaces to give a desirable increase in diffusion. The large area of this waveguide also reduces rearward bounce off of the woofer cone for a much smoother tweeter response allowing a lower crossover point.

The crossover network used with the OH-T7 is much more complex than in competitive models for highest possible performance. As with every Snell speaker, the OH-T7 is hand tuned by our technicians to ensure that each pair sounds as well balanced and detailed as our design engineers intended.

- 6.5-inch poly woofer for damp locations
- 3/4-inch aluminum dome tweeter, coax mounted to 20-degree waveguide for natural response and precise imaging
- 108 dB output in typical living room
- Bass to 55Hz
- Paintable speaker grill included but not pictured
- Cut-out template included
- Speaker may be painted match ceiling color

Member Summary

Snell OH-T7
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
A4less is a legit shop. Authorized refurb outlet for Denon, BA, Marantz (same family these days) and Onkyo.

Their downfa... (more)

FranksandBeans (Oct. 06, 2012 @ 1:00p) |

From all my research on AVSforum, the most important thing is to make sure all three of the Left, Center, and Right fron... (more)

AssocCities (Oct. 06, 2012 @ 11:14p) |

Late to this thread but as A4less still has these available I thought I'd chime in with a +1 on this post. I have used ... (more)

IsaacInDe (Oct. 22, 2012 @ 9:14p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

OP link is broken

Link does not work

Link Fixed

Does anyone have these? How do they sound?

ChrisSBU said:   Is this the link - http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/SNELLOHT7/SNEL...

I don't think so ...it shows the speakers cheaper - $49.99
Green for you though

Are the speakers sold in pairs? Are the better than the speakers sold at Monoprice?

ciscovpn said:   Are the speakers sold in pairs? Are the better than the speakers sold at Monoprice?
i have these http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=108...
great speakers, well made, easy to install. i love these speakers

smokediverxxx said:   ChrisSBU said:   Is this the link - http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/SNELLOHT7/SNEL...

Green for you though

Yeah, that's the link - I rounded up a penny for the title

AssocCities said:   smokediverxxx said:   ChrisSBU said:   Is this the link - http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/SNELLOHT7/SNEL...

Green for you though

Yeah, that's the link - I rounded up a penny for the title

Snell is good stuff with a great reputation.

juser said:   Snell is good stuff with a great reputation.

It's a brand image that's been passed around a dozen times. That doesn't mean the current product is bad (or good)... but Peter Snell, a well revered contributor to the high-end audio business I was a part of for 20+ years, had absolutely NOTHING to do with the company other than his estate selling off his name. Having said that, $50 for a pair of pretty much anything in-wall is probably a good deal.

labboypro said:   juser said:   Snell is good stuff with a great reputation.

It's a brand image that's been passed around a dozen times. That doesn't mean the current product is bad (or good)... but Peter Snell, a well revered contributor to the high-end audio business I was a part of for 20+ years, had absolutely NOTHING to do with the company other than his estate selling off his name. Having said that, $50 for a pair of pretty much anything in-wall is probably a good deal.

It is $50 each which comes to around $100 for a pair.

perpetualapprentice said:   Vendor reseller rating

Looks like love or hate. Wonder if the loves are plants.

rootbear said:   perpetualapprentice said:   Vendor reseller rating

I had mine within 3 days of ordering

ciscovpn said:   labboypro said:   juser said:   Snell is good stuff with a great reputation.

It is $50 each which comes to around $100 for a pair.

Thanks for pointing that out! In that case... bleh.

They sure read that way.

This should be a good deal. I bought Monoprice in-walls and they sound fantastic but, I am not an audiophile. Branded speakers should be even better.

Same company has them on eBay

OP should update the title with "EACH", or take off the plural "speakers". $100 for a pair isn't as attractive given the mixed reviews...

Dotbody said:   OP should update the title with "EACH", or take off the plural "speakers". $100 for a pair isn't as attractive given the mixed reviews...

Updated title. Mixed reviews on what, the store? Everything I've found on Snell is gleaming, though I couldn't find much on these specific speakers save some good reviews on avsforum and other Audio Visual websites.

These Snell speakers look okay at a glance, but a closer look reveal these to be rather low-rent:

- The tweeter is not a full size, but 3/4 inch. Better speakers are almost always full sized 1" unless the specific design calls for something else.
- The woofer cone is a poly material, but looks to be rather cheap. Typically higher end speakers that will have nicer cones, even if it is just textured for differentiation.
- No tweeter/woofer tone adjustment, which are found on some of the nicer in-ceiling speakers.
- Open back design, no enclosure.

I can't find any pictures of the back of the speaker. Granted what I've typed here is all analysis on paper. It doesn't indicate to you how the speakers will sound. However, I'd be very surprised if these relatively cheaply made speakers sounded comparable to any other speaker that had a $300/each normal price. So tossing the original price out of the window, these look like just okay speakers for $50 each. In addition to the aforementioned Monoprice speakers, a brand called Micca has gotten some really good reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Micca-M-8C-In-Ceiling-In-Wall-Pivoting/dp/...

I have their in-wall speakers in a 5.1 home theater setup. At least with Amazon, you can send it back if you don't like them.

I ordered from AC4L maybe three times or so, around 5-8 years ago (so no recent experience), but I was very happy with the service, enough that I have referred several friends and family members to them. I don't believe I'm a plant or shill of any sort. For what it's worth, most of the negative reviews are from customers who were disgruntled because they received defective products and were required to pay the return shipping to do an RMA. A top notch company would pick up the return shipping but not all reasonably decent retailers would do so.

I currently have Niles LCRs. Someone told me that I should only get the matching Niles in-ceiling speakers because otherwise they won't match up well with other brands....(or something to that effect). Do I dare buy these to see how they sound and resell them if I am not happy.

A4less is a legit shop. Authorized refurb outlet for Denon, BA, Marantz (same family these days) and Onkyo.

Their downfall in terms of ratings being hot/cold are the same as eCost... no support after sale and no pro-customer return policy like you get from Crutchfield or Amazon. But you are also paying ~half price for mostly refurb items. I suspect most of the reviewers don't really understand this. For the most part electronics refurbs usually are a 1-way sale... you buy it, but after that you are stuck with manufacturer warranty only in some cases even if the item is DOA.

Ultimately, it's a gamble. Which is why the price needs to be low enough to justify the gamble. Some of A4's prices are low enough to warrant the gamble. Some of them are not. If you don't like the gamble pay a higher price or scour local shops for open boxes and clearance items.

Regardless it's a legit shop. Just understand the policies on the item you are buying before you dive in.

Pertaining to the actual deal this is likely a reasonable deal but I wouldn't call it hot. $300 MSRP is greatly inflated so custom installers can make a big profit. At ~$100 a pair frankly I'd rather go with something that I could get a listen to or at least that has a lot of published info and reviews. Lots of choices out there in that price range. Same site has Boston Acoustics options in the same price range. Now, I don't consider BA to be top-line but they are very decent. In-ceiling speakers are hugely gimped in the first place so it's hard to be too picky.

pwdbyamd said:   I currently have Niles LCRs. Someone told me that I should only get the matching Niles in-ceiling speakers because otherwise they won't match up well with other brands....(or something to that effect). Do I dare buy these to see how they sound and resell them if I am not happy.

From all my research on AVSforum, the most important thing is to make sure all three of the Left, Center, and Right fronts (LCR's) match as that's where the majority of the sound comes from. Beyond that, you won't have a problem going with a different brand for the ceiling surrounds as that's for a much smaller percentage of the surround sound.

Again, this is from my research - I'm nowhere near an expert on audio visual.

Late to this thread but as A4less still has these available I thought I'd chime in with a +1 on this post. I have used A4less a couple of times and found their service to be decent if not up to Amazon standards. One order was damaged and while it took a couple of calls and an email, A4less replaced the item and paid shipping of the defective item back. The service was not painless by any means but I would not hesitate to order from them again especially given some of their close-out pricing.

FranksandBeans said:   A4less is a legit shop. Authorized refurb outlet for Denon, BA, Marantz (same family these days) and Onkyo.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.