• 1 23458
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I've mentioned my experiences with T-Mobile's 'WalMart' no-contract plan in a few threads before. I thought this was common knowledge, since I am usually the last person to call customer service and inquire about things, but according to the reactions I've got this seems not to be the case.

So, here it goes in it's own thread:

To get into T-Mobile's 'WalMart' plan AND keep your existing T-Mobile prepaid number AND keep your existing T-Mobile prepaid balance, the following process worked for me (and now others):

1. Get a NEW prepaid phone (a NEW prepaid SIM-kit should work, too) from T-Mobile, it doesn't work otherwise.
2. Activate the SIM on their website while making sure to choose the right plan (unl. data, unl. text + 100 minutes talk). This is the ONLY time you can do this! There's no switching to that particular plan later on! DO NOT use the option to transfer your existing T-Mobile number at this point.
3. Call customer service to combine the two accounts ASAP. Just make sure to tell them you want to keep the OLD number, the NEW plan and ALL your money.

You are done! After a few minutes your old account should be updated with the new plan and the balance of the new activation. If the CSR doesn't know how to do this you might want to ask for a supervisor.

Mods, I thought this to be relevant and 'hot' enough to post in Hot Deals. Feel free to transfer to Deal Discussions if necessary.

Member Summary

T-Mobile
Thanks Virgil27
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
No sense your post makes.  The thread is about a T-Mobile plan.  If you are buying a Sprint package, it is unrelated to ... (more)

NEDeals (Oct. 19, 2013 @ 1:51p) |

Is unlock Nexus 4 or Nexus 5 working with this plan?

eruisi (Oct. 19, 2013 @ 5:25p) |

Sure does!!!!!!!

radiobufff (Oct. 19, 2013 @ 6:31p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The plan has been around for quite a while, and posted here for several times. It is for new subscribers only. The added value of this post is to combine new and old account. Maybe YMMV.

f2000sa said:   The plan has been around for quite a while, and posted here for several times. It is for new subscribers only. The added value of this post is to combine new and old account. Maybe YMMV.

News to me. Thanks OP, as I will be looking at getting a smart phone soon and can't stomach the current plans out there.

I just signed up for this plan for my daughter. I went ahead and signed up for a new number since she's only a kid and doesn't have an extensive number of people who know her with her former phone number.

I can confirm that customer service did credit her new account with the balance left over on her old account.

It's a great plan, I've been on it for more than 6 months. My only problem is the 100 minutes but you can download Vonage mobile to make free outgoing calls. Incoming calls will still count towards your minutes unless someone else is also calling you from the Vonage Mobile app. Vonage to Vonage call quality is horrible from my experience.

It is 4G or edge for att unlocked phones.So for my 3g iphone4 i get unlimited but 2g(edge) speed data.

babydreams2006 said:   It is 4G or edge for att unlocked phones.So for my 3g iphone4 i get unlimited but 2g(edge) speed data.

iphone4 doesn't support 4G so yes, you'll be on the EDGE network. Get a tmobile 4G phone and you will have 4G. Forgot to mentioned you don't have to get a phone, I got my tmobile sim at Amazon. I brought my Sensation 4G phone from Craiglist and got it to work.

Good additional information about combining account and not losing the old balance for people like me. Thanks OP.

babydreams2006 said:   It is 4G or edge for att unlocked phones.So for my 3g iphone4 i get unlimited but 2g(edge) speed data.

You may get better than Edge (2G) with your iPhone 4, depending on your area. T-Mobile is refarming their 1900 MHz band to HSPA (3G), to be complete by the end of the year. While not true 4G, speeds are considerably faster than Edge (2G).

Here's a map of cell towers where users are seeing HSPA.

I can't find this plan on tmobile.com .

cartierf said:   I can't find this plan on tmobile.com .

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans

I hope I can get an unlocked Lumia 920, and activate it on this plan. While I don't mind AT&T, I would rather pay $30 a month for this plan, than AT&T at closer to $60 a month.

FYI, T-Mobile is currently in the process of refarming its spectrum to support the 1900mhz 3G band that the iPhones support. NYC, Seattle, and several other cities are already lit up, with a gradual roll out continuing over the next couple months.

Very excited for this as my unlocked 3GS is tolerable at best on the EDGE network. Still a no brainer for $30 a month though.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1748046-T-Mobile-is-d...

Map of refarmed towers
http://airportal.de/

My experience with T-Mobile is a little bit easier.

First, buy a SIM from them, but don't activate it.
Call them and tell them you want to switch to the $30 unlimited data plan and have a new unactivated SIM card.
That's it.

They can do it over the phone. I spoke to the guy and he said, he just needs an unactivated SIM card and he can do the entire process over the phone - including transferring the number. In fact, it's easier for him because he just registers the SIM without a number, then transfers your number over. It is easier than trying to replace the current number and porting your number over. It goes through fewer people, and happens in minutes instead of days. I didn't have any questions about combining balances, but I figure they can do it all at the same time.

FYI, this also works for an existing postpaid **OFF-CONTRACT** account. I converted my old post-paid $70/mo plan to this. Sure I lost 900 minutes, but who uses voice anymore?

1) Confirm you are OFF CONTRACT
2) Call 611
3) Tell CSR you want to convert to the WalMart Prepaid Plan
4) Wait for text message confirmation(s)
5) Log back in to your online "My T-Mobile" account to verify you have the correct plan

$ave $ave $ave!

Can you ask for a monthly bill (statement) for Tmobile prepaid account? (for reimburse purpose).

Use www.callingmart.com to purchase your monthly refills, it comes down to about $28.50 per month. They have coupons that come out every month that you can find on retailmenot.com.

Excellent plan, I have been on it for about 5 months now.

f2000sa said:   Can you ask for a monthly bill (statement) for Tmobile prepaid account? (for reimburse purpose).

Nope - but I suppose if you put your prepaid plan on autobilling to a credit card, you might be able to use the card statement.

any clue on which cell phones will work with t-mobiles..i was thiking if i can buy some of smart phoen from craiglist..since i dont have one

rockdeal said:   any clue on which cell phones will work with t-mobiles..i was thiking if i can buy some of smart phoen from craiglist..since i dont have one

GSM, not CDMA.

Beware, wifi calling counts against your minutes with this prepaid plan. If you don't mind 2-year contract and has multiple lines, the value plan is actually cheaper.

Is this a $30/mo prepaid or $30/100min since the data and text are both unlimited?

bpydimer said:   Beware, wifi calling counts against your minutes with this prepaid plan.

Can somebody confirm this? I plan on doing most of my talking using groovip/gvoice when home on wifi. How will they even know I'm wifi calling? And how else would you do wifi calling without VOIP?

jordy3288 said:   Is this a $30/mo prepaid or $30/100min since the data and text are both unlimited?
umm..both.
$30 for 100 minutes, unlimited text and unlimited data.

I have this plan.. and another option for folks may be using voip for their outgoing minutes. I use voip.ms, and they charge 1 cent per minute for outgoing calls. I this plan. My plan renews on 10/19, and so far this month, I have used 2.711GB data!

ZenerDiode said:   bpydimer said:   Beware, wifi calling counts against your minutes with this prepaid plan.

Can somebody confirm this? I plan on doing most of my talking using groovip/gvoice when home on wifi. How will they even know I'm wifi calling? And how else would you do wifi calling without VOIP?
Dont listen to him.. they have no clue when you use voip. And using voip (on wifi or on 4G/3G) is not in any way shape or form illegal.

Source: I use CSipSimple (which is like groove ip) all the time. I also use the built in SIP client in my Galaxy Nexus to make calls through voip.ms.

You can make/receive unlimited calls with GOOGLE VOICE + GROOVE ip

f2000sa said:   You can make/receive unlimited calls with GOOGLE VOICE + GROOVE ipYes..but in order to recieve calls with groove ip, people need to call your google voice number, which defeats the purpose of this thread.

The better way to do it is port your number to Google Voice, then just get a prepaid SIM and plug it into your current phone. Then use a GrooveIP or similar to make and receive calls.

However, there are pitfalls...like being unable to get pic messages and lower call quality. But Google Voice does some cool stuff to make up for it, like allowing you to forward calls to a desk phone at work or something during business hours, so you don't use any minutes and mantain call quality.

ZenerDiode said:   bpydimer said:   Beware, wifi calling counts against your minutes with this prepaid plan.

He means Wifi Calling, which is an app T-Mobile uses on their handsets instead of using femtocells.
http://t-mobile-coverage.t-mobile.com/4g-wireless-broadband-serv...

MarsdenFubar said:   I hope I can get an unlocked Lumia 920, and activate it on this plan. While I don't mind AT&T, I would rather pay $30 a month for this plan, than AT&T at closer to $60 a month.
920 is missing the 1700mhz radio you need for 4G with T-Mobile. You would be limited to edge speeds just like an iphone...Unless you happen to be in an area that has been refarmed on the 1900mhz frequency.

wow..people are so clueless. T-Mobile's "WIFI calling" feature will count against your minutes on all prepaid plans. This is different from google voice or Skype or what have you.

ynot303 said:   babydreams2006 said:   It is 4G or edge for att unlocked phones.So for my 3g iphone4 i get unlimited but 2g(edge) speed data.

iphone4 doesn't support 4G so yes, you'll be on the EDGE network. Get a tmobile 4G phone and you will have 4G. Forgot to mentioned you don't have to get a phone, I got my tmobile sim at Amazon. I brought my Sensation 4G phone from Craiglist and got it to work.

Do you have to use the 4g SIM kit? Is this different from the current prepaid SIM? I noticed the difference in price of $0.99 vs. $6.99. I have a 3g phone on prepaid so I just want to upgrade to the "WalMart" plan and use Edge for now then buy a 4g phone on eBay later when I'm happy with the service.

skwiggey said:   MarsdenFubar said:   I hope I can get an unlocked Lumia 920, and activate it on this plan. While I don't mind AT&T, I would rather pay $30 a month for this plan, than AT&T at closer to $60 a month.
920 is missing the 1700mhz radio you need for 4G with T-Mobile. You would be limited to edge speeds just like an iphone...Unless you happen to be in an area that has been refarmed on the 1900mhz frequency.

Should be able to use the 1900 and 850 bands on 3G though, which T-mo annoyingly calls 4g but isn't.... True 4G (LTE) would be fairly rare. (I have the Lumia 900 but its still on AT&T)

You would have to pay full retail on the 920 to be able to port it over to T-mo though. That is most likely going to cost $500 or more. You can probably get used ones on Craigslist though -- thats where I got both my Lumia 900 and my Galaxy 8.9 -- so I am not locked in.

I have this plan as a backup to my AT&T...use it occasionally to keep active, in case I ever can live with 100 minutes.

It's very hard. Yes, GrooveIP/etc, but the quality of VOIP calls on 4G is terrible. If it was 300 minutes for $34.99 or something, I'd drop AT&T like a rock. Or maybe free nights and weekends with the 100 minutes. As it stands, only 100 minutes all the time for a month is very difficult to manage, IMO.

coolbreeze said:   I have this plan as a backup to my AT&T...use it occasionally to keep active, in case I ever can live with 100 minutes.

It's very hard. Yes, GrooveIP/etc, but the quality of VOIP calls on 4G is terrible. If it was 300 minutes for $34.99 or something, I'd drop AT&T like a rock. Or maybe free nights and weekends with the 100 minutes. As it stands, only 100 minutes all the time for a month is very difficult to manage, IMO.

i agree, but 5gb of hspa+ for ~$30 / mo is a good deal even without the 100 mins. i hope they come out with something similar with more minutes

abscess said:   coolbreeze said:   I have this plan as a backup to my AT&T...use it occasionally to keep active, in case I ever can live with 100 minutes.

i agree, but 5gb of hspa+ for ~$30 / mo is a good deal even without the 100 mins. i hope they come out with something similar with more minutes

Oh for sure, the data and texts alone are worth $30. It's just hard to live with so few minutes as a primary line. Even with using the slighly janky wifi calling when at home (on my computer/Obhai/Nexus 7).

I've been using Telecom Services for years and they've always given a 5% discount on T-Mobile on refills of $25 or more, no coupons needed. They look a lot smaller than Calling Mart, but if you're worried by that, use PayPal instead of a credit card.

bpydimer said:   wow..people are so clueless. T-Mobile's "WIFI calling" feature will count against your minutes on all prepaid plans. This is different from google voice or Skype or what have you.

Not really. Google Voice on its own will also use your mintues. Making calls over wifi using one of the many voip (talkatone, grooveip, sipdroid, csipsimple, Vonage) methods will not.

Does anyone on this plan think that mobile data (3G+) calling, sending and receiving, through VOIP is a robust voice solution?

Skipping 256 Messages...
eruisi said:   Is unlock Nexus 4 or Nexus 5 working with this plan?
  Sure does!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014