• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

keyboard
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

This keyboard is really great. I'm currently using this exact model and considering getting an extra one with this deal.

Cherry MX blue switches feels really nice to type on, which is especially important if you're on the computer lengthy spans of time.

It's blank keys give it a really nice clean look. The casing extrudes out on the upper left, where it has two USB slots for additional USB devices.

This is a good price for one of the better mechanical keyboard available now.

For the last two years, there are more available mechanical keyboard brands available in the market.

I got my first mechanical keyboard, the CM (Cooler Master) Quickfire rapid Blue MX key from OfficeMax a few weeks backs for $51 plus tax. This was the best deal for any brand up to this point. The same one is available at Amazon for about $67. I love the CM Quickfire rapid, I had fewer mistakes with this keyboard. It is noisy and I am trying to buy some o-rings to put under the keys to dampen the noise.

One thing I realized is that once you are exposed to Mechanical keyboards, most are also looking for a second one, then a third one. One for home, one for work if you have one, and another one that has bells and whistles for games. Chances are that you are going to spend more time to learn about different brands, cherry mx keyswitch preferences, features you like and other details. Soon, you are going to find your perfect keyboard which you don't think it exists in the market. Then you will try to mod a keyboard. It goes on and on till the newer technology makes using a keyboard obsolete.

The trend is that the newer models put fancy LED, macro keys, with headturning gadgets and names. You will hear names like Black Widow, WASD, Zowie, Ducky, Cherry with associated model name like Ultimate, ninja, T esport, Year of the Dragon, Vengeance, Race and Stealth etc. One of the most expensive brand is Happy Hacking, not to mention Das Keyboard. And the one that is the godfather of these all, the IBM M keyboard. Next you will start wanting a better connector, another color or materials for the key, or the number lock LED is too bright. There are complaints about the Das Keyboard's glossy cover. It just goes on and on.

Well, after spending a lot of time on this topic. I decided I just need a keyboard that is comfortable to type input with my pressing preference. Das Keyboard company makes these Joe 6 pack type keyboard, so is the CM Quickfire rapid, the Rosewill, Leopold, and the well recommended Filco. The other features are nice if you use it to play games. The $250 Happy Hacking Professional is an polarized luxury keyboard, that either you like it or hate it. I would like to own the Optimus Maximus keyboard by Art Lebedev Studio if i win a lotto, and I am going to use it with a customerized PC that costs more than the keyboard. If I have that much money, I shall also hire an assistant to use the computer so I can spend time on doing something else.

Hope this will enlighten the mechanical keyboard newbie. My next thing to do is to spend time to surf all these cheap buy websites to look for the Das Keyboard Silent keyboard.

Good find. If you like MX blues (clicky), this is a nice keyboard.

In the last week, I've been looking into modern mechanical keyboards. I started with no awareness at all, have since bought, tried and returned one (due to malfunction), bought a second one, and have spent hours online getting a feel about the commonly-available makes and models.

Although they have received very good reviews, I decided not to go with a Das Keyboard keyboard because I definitely want a "tenkeyless" ("TKL") model (which does not have the 10-key right-hand number pad that is on most keyboards), also known as "tournament" edition, compact, and other names.

However, I just thought I'd mention here that apparently the new stock of Das Keyboards (apparently the new ones have some media keys - the old stock apparently didn't) is being made by a new Chinese manufacturer (which has not been named).

Until recently, their products have been made by Costar (based in Taiwan I think), which apparently has a very good reputation.

I haven't seen any reviews on the new products by the new manufacturer, but I have read on a few sites that there is a general concern that the quality might drop somewhat with the change in manufacturing company and location.

Again, I have no direct knowledge about any of this, but thought I'd pass along what I've read recently.

Originally I put in some links here that mentioned this change in manufacturing, and I also threw in a summary of what I've found out about the top mechanical keyboards (especially tenkeyless) - the brands and representative prices - but my message was deleted for doing so - so just search online for further info, if required.

I went to NYC last weekend and checked out the DAS keyboard in J&R. J&R had 2 models of the blanks key keyboard and a professional keyboard. The keyboards with blank keys ($99, $119) are made in Taiwan. The professional with the etched keys is made in China ($129-139). All of them do not click when you type. J&R had these 3 models only and I couldn't tell the difference except for the etched vs blank keys. They all felt the same way (Great!) and quality seems to be the same.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014