• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Newegg
See Newegg promo codes that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I wanted to pull the triger on this, but I read this and I'm just wondering how good would this work in my linux box.
ST31500341AS 1.5 TB
Some Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB hard drives may show uncharacteristic operation when used with Mac and Linux operating systems in multi-drive configurations. Users may experiences pauses in video streaming applications or a dropped drive from RAID arrays. Customers seeing these symptoms should contact Seagate Technical Support for a firmware upgrade at discsupport@seagate.com or http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/about/contact_us/.

Very good reviews for Seagate hard drive. Otherwise they deserve one egg if you lose all your data because of drive crash.

I did a search in here and the same drive was for the same price about a month ago, but people don't have much to say about it.
Here is the linky to the last post.
Here
I might pull the triger any way, it is cheap and it has 2 years warranty.

They are OK drives, but a really old design at this point (ca. 2009).

This Seagate model is known to have high failure rate than 7200.12 model that replaces 7200.11. You may find more information regarding this by doing google than looking for retailer feedback.

whyme1 said:   This Seagate model is known to have high failure rate than 7200.12 model that replaces 7200.11. You may find more information regarding this by doing google than looking for retailer feedback.

That was true at first, but I think Seagate solved the problem after the first year or so.

edavid said:   

That was true at first, but I think Seagate solved the problem after the first year or so.

Seems pretty mixed. Some people have been OK recently, some have had their drives die RIGHT around the time the warranty ends.

Just too much uncertainty around this drive for me to pull the trigger. Though, admittedly, I'm looking for something to use as a primary drive for my Win7 installation, so I need something that will be reliable.

Well, I got one, thanks OP.

So are these "fixed" or do they still have the firmware problem and need the 'semi-complicated' fix described here?

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1218523/

chard31 said:   So are these "fixed" or do they still have the firmware problem and need the 'semi-complicated' fix described here?

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1218523/

Yes, they are fixed. The drives with bad firmware are long gone.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014