• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Is this the lightning to USB charging cable? That is the one I need and no apple or Sprint store has even STOCKED it yet. Carrying one with me makes me nervous that I will forget it or lose it.

Also need 30pin to lightning but still Apple has not released.

I walked into the Sprint store near me in Philly. They had 14 in stock and the guy gave me the 20% off every 2 that I bought. As my company uses the 5, I bought all 14. There is a store in Springfield, PA and some other surrounding that are stocked as well. A quick call should yield the rep holding it for you. Oh, I am a Verizon customer, the Sprint rep didn't even ask for a phone number. They do not however have the 30-pin adapter. Just the USB.

Table83 said:   These prices are disgusting. This technology should have been built into the $700 phone and not been thrown outside it with the cable. RIP Steve Jobs, we miss your ingenuity.
This link goes into pretty interesting detail about what makes the Lightning connector more advanced than other connectors, and why the cable has to have a chip in it (the short version is that since the Lightning connector is adaptive and supports many more types of signaling than simple USB, the chip tells the phone what kind of interface is present on the other end — VGA, HDMI, USB 2 host, USB 2 client, USB 3, etc). This makes the Lightning port more advanced in terms of compatibility with a variety of standards than just about any other port on the market.

And since it's predicted that the Lightning port will be USB 3 compatible, that makes it a much smaller connector than the MicroUSB 3 standard — the MicroUSB 3 connector is actually wider than a standard USB A (host) port.

Went in to the Sprint store and asked if they have a 20% off two accessories promotion. They said yes and I asked if they have lightning cables. They walked me over to them and helped me check out. They did ask me if I have a Sprint account and I said no. He didn't skip a beat after my answer and I didn't have any problems checking out. Big thanks OP.

Apple has said that the lightning connector is a long term investment so I'm sure I'll get many years of use out of this. Remember the lightning connector isn't the iPhone 5 connector it is the new interface for many Apple devices present and future. At least that is how I justify my purchase LOL.

respdoc said:   f2000sa said:   What does this have to do with the deal???

Apl is asking too much for a cable... . Not worth it.

Let us know when you design your cable for cheaper...and we'll buy it.

After reading this thread, I started googling for the design of the cable. I thought I could tear apart the old 30 pin cable and some how connect the +Ve and -Ve leads to the phone. One of the websites claims that the lightening cable has a chip in it. If this is true, it will be hard to find the low cost knock outs.

the data pin on the lightening cable can be on any pin. In another words, it's a dynamic pin layout, the chip will "learn" the pinout when you plug it in. This is an awesome design, so if there comes USB version 17.2, this cable will be able to adopt to it.

It's a great deal. thanks!
USB connectors are so annoying to plug in, specially the small ones, even though they are keyed, they never go in right and don't lock clean.. My droid barely feels like it's plugged in solid.
Tried this cable for the first time and apple is on to something. 30$ for a cable is crazy unless you realize how many times you can plug in your phone in the dark or without having to squint and concentrate on getting that tiny USB on the right side and getting it into the tiny whole that seems to have been machined for a whole other adapter. micro USB may be great because it's a standard for phones. That doesn't make it a great cable system. Especially for mass consumers who have to face micro/mini/A/B/1.0/2.0/3.0 variants of usb when buying a cable.

Table83 said:   These prices are disgusting. This technology should have been built into the $700 phone and not been thrown outside it with the cable. RIP Steve Jobs, we miss your ingenuity.

Apple 30 Pin cable - $19
Apple Lightning Cable - $19

Ive never seen so many people get so dramatic over $20.

OutOfStock said:   Table83 said:   These prices are disgusting. This technology should have been built into the $700 phone and not been thrown outside it with the cable. RIP Steve Jobs, we miss your ingenuity.

Apple 30 Pin cable - $19
Apple Lightning Cable - $19

Ive never seen so many people get so dramatic over $20.

Reliable 3rd-party-manufactured 30 Pin cable - $2
Reliable 3rd-party-manufactured Lightning Cable - Unavailable at any price

Therefore:

Cheapest reliable 30 Pin cable - $2
Cheapest reliable Lightning Cable - $19

That is the real problem.

And that is also why OP has made a helpful post that will be used by many happy FWers to buy spare Lightning Cables for what is currently the best available price.

If you still think it's too expensive, then just wait a few months for when knock-offs are available for <$5.

As for me, I say: In For Two, Thanks OP!

Enough threadcrapping guys. If you don't need a Lightning cable, just excuse yourself from the thread.

MacRumors: Lightning Authentication cracked?
let's hope this means cheaper cables sooner than later. But for reliability I'm still going to stick with first party (for now)

Thanks OP!!! In for two today in Folsom, CA. Originally went to the Roseville store. They were out. They said that Citrus Heights and Howe Avenue had some (in addition to Folsom) - in the Sacramento area.

Have been patiently waiting for the Sprint corporate stores in my area to get them in stock, still nothing. Today I was traveling and has some time so I called the local Sprint stores in the area and they had them, and confirmed the 20% off 2 right on the phone and held them for me.

Two lightning cables for $32. Good deal considering what they are. Thank you op.

Deal still alive and well for iphone 5 owners.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014