• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Shoemall.com has a very good deal on men's Smartwool socks, size large (standard size). I ordered 6 assorted pairs (3 pairs in chestnut/beige hues and 3 pairs in black/gray hues). These are not irregulars. Here's how the math works:

1. Make sure you're logged onto FatWallet.
2. Surf over to Shoemall.com.
3. Search for "SmartWool Ultra Comfy Trios" and you should find it.
4. Add two sets to your cart (any color combinations).
5. Apply coupon code EXCLUSIVE.
6. Total price is then $44.99 shipped.

But there's also a 7.5% FatWallet rebate, and if you use a Discover card there's another 5% rebate (assuming you registered for the 4th quarter promotion). After rebates it's $39.37 all in, which works out to $6.56 per pair.

ShoeMall
See ShoeMall coupons that earn 7.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

6 Pairs Smartwool Socks
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
in for two

swraith (Oct. 15, 2012 @ 7:45a) |

In 4-1

shprgrl (Oct. 15, 2012 @ 9:19a) |

Also would like more info about this. I am kinda new to the "nice sock" club.

On another note, I am wearing the black pai... (more)

cpierson (Oct. 15, 2012 @ 11:08a) |

Shoemall - Wisconsin & Virginia - add sales tax.
Staff Summary
  • ShoeMall Coupons:
    BOGO
    Buy 1 Get 1 50% off any order (expires 7/13/14 12:59am)
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

So what exactly is SmartWool (as opposed to regular Merino wool).

Smartwool is the brand, and it's a very good one. Their socks are made in the U.S.A. from New Zealand wool. They're good for hiking and for other outdoor activities, although in these neutral colors you can get away with pretty much anything. You'll find them at places like REI, the L.L. Bean Outlet, and upscale outdoor/athletic gear shops. They get excellent reviews at Amazon and elsewhere.

This deal is basically half off the typical street price. They're not cheap socks, but they're a good value.

Thanks OP, have wanted to pick up some wool socks for quite awhile. In for the deal, and green for you!

According to Smartwool, the "Trio" set includes styles SW164 (71% Merino wool), SW823 (83% Merino wool), and SW913 (74% Merino wool).

Large size socks are recommended for U.S. men's shoe sizes 9 to 11.5 inclusive.

Thanks OP. Since discovering Smartwool a few years ago they are the only socks I wear.

There socks rock. Try a pair and you'll never wear cotton again!

I bought a few pairs last year. They didn't last 6 months. They're nice but not worth it in my opinion.

I've been wearing Kirkland Costco Merino wool socks, and have been very happy with them (only socks I wear), but I picked them up in bulk off eBay (new) and remember them being substantially cheaper, I just wonder if these socks are actually better, or just brand name.

BlueGoose177 said:   There socks rock. Try a pair and you'll never wear cotton again!

That's exactly what happened to me also. It is counter-intuitive that wool socks will make your feet more comfortable in the hot Summer months AND cold Winter months, but that's exactly how fine merino wool works. SmartWool is the gold standard for these type of socks.

Can one make a comparison to Thorlo socks which I've been using for a year or so thanks to very positive posts/comments found on Fatwallet?

I've become a fan of vermont darn tough, great socks, can get decent discounts at Shoebuy.com

Thorlo socks are somewhat more synthetic, although they do make a wool/silk/synthetic blend sock if you want that. My one pair had a good, strong base but fairly quickly became unraveled at the top. Your mileage may vary.

The Darn Tough Vermont socks are comparable to Smartwool with the exception of DTV's pure synthetic boot socks (which I'd avoid). Smartwool seems to use a very slightly higher percentage of wool, but I don't think that's much difference. DTV makes a couple varieties with U.S. yarns primarily for government contracts, but I assume Smartwool does the same. I haven't been able to find DTVs anywhere near $7/pair, but if you can they'd be a good buy.

Love my Smart wool socks, but these are a bit too tacky.

hpmax said:   I've been wearing Kirkland Costco Merino wool socks, and have been very happy with them (only socks I wear), but I picked them up in bulk off eBay (new) and remember them being substantially cheaper, I just wonder if these socks are actually better, or just brand name.

I've bought a number of pairs of the Costco merino wool Smartwool copies. They are nice, comfortable socks, a terrific value for whatever the price was (something like $2.50 to $4 a pair, I forget which). However, they are not close to the same level of durability as Smartwools. I've got some Smartwool original mid-weight hikers I bought at least 12 years ago that I've worn regularly during the coldest 6 months a year and they are only now starting to wear a bit in the heals and toes, but I expect to get another few years out of them. I suspect that the socks that are included in this deal are more of a casual weight of sock than my Smartwools, though, and may not wear as well as the medium hikers I own.

Someone else asked about how Smartwools wear compare to Thorlos. I've owned a couple of pairs of Thorlos, one their regular synthetic yarn, one pair a silk-wool hybrid. The Smartwools medium hikers are substantially better socks, just as cool in warm weather, warmer in cold weather, and they are significantly more durable than Thorlos.

Super hot deal! Just ordered 2 trio packs...
6 pairs should get me thought the next decade (only half kidding)

also, I used to work at REI and this price is better than the direct-from-smartwool industry-insider pricing we would get as employees

While I like this, it remains to be seen whether the Smartwools have the same quality they used to have 12 years ago, as Lousygolfer mentioned in the post above.

Are people seeing any of these that I could pull up past my knees like tube socks for playing hoops in this winter, preferable with red, white, and blue stripes?

I like SmartWool socks. I LOVE Bass Pro's RedHead lifetime socks.

code "exclusive" takes 25% entire order, site wide.

Costco has wool socks, 4 pack for $12, excellent reviews.

Or, you can pay $30 more for the same thing and get the cool 'SmartWool' name on the package..

Bizatch said:   Costco has wool socks, 4 pack for $12, excellent reviews.

Or, you can pay $30 more for the same thing and get the cool 'SmartWool' name on the package..

correction: wool hiking socks.

Smartwool is the best! Got a couple pairs a year ago, have worn the heck out of them and they hold up great

The Smartwool socks designed for Alpine skiing are the best I've ever used. The new PhD series has a lot of promise too.

got the package today!

EriCCirE said:   code "exclusive" takes 25% entire order, site wide.

Thank you! Somehow I didn't properly place my last order. I guess I never hit "confirm" on the last page. You saved my bacon. Plus, I got $15.00 off instead of $14.92!

g10ny said:   While I like this, it remains to be seen whether the Smartwools have the same quality they used to have 12 years ago, as Lousygolfer mentioned in the post above.

Actually, my comment was meant to distinguish the medium hiker model socks I own from the ones in this deal post, which are a different model in the Smartwool lineup and appear to be a lighter, more casual weight sock. I bought a new pair of Smartwool medium hiking socks last year to take advantage of the REI twice annual 20% off sale and they appear to be as well made as my original pairs from 12 years ago.

I updated the original post with the new coupon code.

Just picked up a three-pack of Kirkland merino wool socks tonite (albeit women's - not sure if they had men's or not). Haven't tried them yet (obviously) but they appear to be quite nice. They were $9.99 for the 3-pack.

I will agree though, that Smartwool are fantastic, even if they are super expensive!

Ditto! Best sox I own!

I ordered some yesterday to try. You can wash and dry these like regular socks, right?

Thanks, my wife introduced these to me and I've become a believer. We air dry them, but when they sneak into the dryer they don't shrink.

in for two

In 4-1

MelissaB said:   I ordered some yesterday to try. You can wash and dry these like regular socks, right?

Also would like more info about this. I am kinda new to the "nice sock" club.

On another note, I am wearing the black pair today. I am enjoying them thanks op and everyone.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014