• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007H4VT7A

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009MAXPBU/...
Thanks snake253

This is a Ham Radio, You will need a FCC Technician license ( There free, But you have to take a test )
Sometimes the testers charge up to $15 for the test, But some do not.
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=a...

Description:
BaoFeng UV-5R 136-174/400-480 MHz Dual-Band DTMF CTCSS DCS FM Ham Two Way Radio
Product Features:
25KHz/12.5KHz Switchable
Channel Step: 2.5/5/6.25/10/12.5/25KHz
Frequency Range: 136-174 / 400-480MHz
128 Channels 50 CTCSS and 104 CDCSS
Dual-Band Display, Dual Freq. Display, Dual-Standby
ASIN: B007H4VT7A
Item model number: UV-5R

Thanks Dave

Amazon
Get Up to 3.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

BaoFeng UV-5R
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
It depends heavily on where and when you do it; yes, all those things could happen to you. The reality is it's like pee... (more)

bluegreenturtle (Nov. 07, 2012 @ 11:29a) |

The amateur bands are where you are most likely to be caught transmitting without a license. Amateur traffic has a very ... (more)

PugRanch (Nov. 07, 2012 @ 11:46a) |

Thanks. I needed a couple for the upcoming zombie apocalypse.

TheGhoul (Nov. 07, 2012 @ 11:54a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Not a bad deal, I have a pair of the Wouxun KG-UV6D's which are pretty much like the big-brother to this model, and I like them very much. I may just pick up one of these for the emergency bag since they are cheap enough.

nice find op

73's

Do you think this is good for backpacking ?

In case of a emergency if you climb to the top of a ridge you may be able to find a repeater.

What's the range on these? Will these go farther than the FRS or GMRS radios?

miqie said:   What's the range on these? Will these go farther than the FRS or GMRS radios?

My understanding ( Pro's please help )

FRS or GMRS radios have a range of about a mile in town ( YMMV )

Yes I know radios the FRS or GMRS say 25 to 35 miles, Good luck.

Now the BaoFeng FM Ham Two Way Radio, Range may be 2 - 4 miles, But if you can find a repeater you can talk all over the USA

Butcherboy said:   miqie said:   What's the range on these? Will these go farther than the FRS or GMRS radios?

My understanding ( Pro's please help )

FRS or GMRS radios have a range of about a mile in town ( YMMV )

Yes I know radios the FRS or GMRS say 25 to 35 miles, Good luck.

Now the BaoFeng FM Ham Two Way Radio, Range may be 3 - 5 miles, But if you can find a repeater you can talk all over the USA

You will need a FCC Technician license

Butcherboy said:   Do you think this is good for backpacking ?

In case of a emergency if you climb to the top of a ridge you may be able to find a repeater.
Depends on what's in the area, but coverage in back country areas is usually unreliable. (Though some radio clubs have some awesome repeater locations - check out Big Bend Amateur Radio Club's effort in some of the most desolate areas of West TX and Big Bend NP.)

in simplex, you may see 5-15 miles depending on line of site, on a repeater range will vary more and also depending on the repeater location, you may hit a lot farther than that.

Got some to resell at the hamfest. Nothing like a coffee and sugar donut in the morning

cq cq cq

Butcherboy said:   Do you think this is good for backpacking ?

The better question is will anyone be listening I think. I got into 2m 15 or more years ago and back then it was pretty active. I eventually drifted away and a while back picked up a couple of these just to see what was out there and have around for emergencies. 2m is crickets around here these days, even during the last fairly major storm we had the repeater was nothing but silence followed by repeater ID and weather advisory information. No storm tracking or anything going on. I'd try to find out if you have an active local community before expecting much.

2-meter here is hopping busy. Too bad just about every operator in the area is an elitist loser. Kinda takes the fun out of it.

Can this be used as a scanner for the frequencies it covers? Our LE uses a 154.*** frequency.. I know it would be illegal and just plain wrong to transmit on this frequency, but I am looking for a cheap scanner... Would this work?

Should be able to monitor the police frequencies...

i have a yaesu, and the police frequencies are blocked from transmission. I presume that as it is outside the legal bandwith that it will not allow you to transmit on LE frequencies.

wads

The "Plus" version is $58.99 here.

More Stubborn Case, More Rich and Enhanced Features (2013 the Latest Version)

# Upgrade the frame material. Metallic, more durable and more fashionable.
# With full high two colors LED definition display, the screen exquisite clarity.
# The new English,German,French instruction, more convenient and more humanized.

I knew I should not have visited this website tonight!!!

Price up a buck to $49.

thanks op looks like a good deal.

jeffc said:   I knew I should not have visited this website tonight!!!

Price up a buck to $49.

Be strong and the force be with you!

Nice find op... Amazing price on a dual-band!!

73's

Lvscott said:   The "Plus" version is $58.99 here.

More Stubborn Case, More Rich and Enhanced Features (2013 the Latest Version)

# Upgrade the frame material. Metallic, more durable and more fashionable.
# With full high two colors LED definition display, the screen exquisite clarity.
# The new English,German,French instruction, more convenient and more humanized.

Thanks for sharing.

Now that is a good deal for the "Plus"

I use a w32 and TH-F6A.

I have very limited knowledge with radio technology. Can these be used as air traffic scanner? Thanks

wtfu said:   I have very limited knowledge with radio technology. Can these be used as air traffic scanner? Thanks

Civil Aviation Band 108.000 to about 135.000

So no, BaoFeng UV-5R 136-174/400-480 MHz Dual-Band

This is a good deal! 73'rds folks K5FUN

While this might be a good product BB, I'm a little confused by the hot deal price....since it seems the same from multiple sellers.

respdoc said:   While this might be a good product BB, I'm a little confused by the hot deal price....since it seems the same from multiple sellers.

You tell me if this is a good deal ?

CamelCamel

http://camelcamelcamel.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-136-174-400-480-Dual-Ba...

Butcherboy said:   

You tell me why at least 4 sellers have it for the same price ?

respdoc said:   Butcherboy said:   

You tell me why at least 4 sellers have it for the same price ?

I see that all the time, Amazon drop price other sellers drop there price at the same time.

Or 1 sellers drop there price, And the rest of the sellers drop there price too.

CamelCamel will show you this is about the lowest price point.

So I think this is a good deal.

Butcherboy said:   

I see that all the time, Amazon drop price other sellers drop there price at the same time.

Not quite. You see that some of the time...with one or two sellers...but not almost every seller having the same general price.

Like I said...it seems to be a good product....just not anything significant on the savings.

respdoc said:   Butcherboy said:   

Not quite. You see that some of the time...with one or two sellers...but not almost every seller having the same general price.

Like I said...it seems to be a good product....just not anything significant on the savings.

Thanks respdoc

I think we can both agree that the price point has drop about $15 in the last 3 months.

What does the UV-5R +/Plus have over the regular UV-5R? I see some metal around the speaker on the Plus, but honestly, I think the regular UV-5R looks better. What are some real features that the plus has over the regular UV-5R for 20% more dollars?

egs said:   What does the UV-5R +/Plus have over the regular UV-5R? I see some metal around the speaker on the Plus, but honestly, I think the regular UV-5R looks better. What are some real features that the plus has over the regular UV-5R for 20% more dollars?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWXutnzUPvY

Yeah, I saw that video. It doesn't go into the differences much. It seems like it might be easier to change frequencies. Maybe the Plus is better shielded since there is more metal? I couldn't seem to find a definitive comparison chart on the net. BTW, thanks for the quick response!

Thanks OP, got one on order. The reviews were pretty good. Can't wait to try it out.

I didn't buy one but thanks for the reminder, my license expired last month...

This seems to be about the going rate on eBay for the UV-5R, however having prime shipping and amazons return policy absolutely sweetens the deal.

My two cents. BaoFeng radios are fine if you don't expect much. A lot of DOA radios. My UV-3R lasted about 3 months of very very light use and now it won't turn on. If you get a good one that doesn't have battery issues, you'll feel like you hit the jackpot. $50 for a radio that can do as much as this one does is a steal. Quality control leaves a lot to be desired however. A huge upside is dealing with Amazon. They're awesome for returns/exchanges. Thanks BB.

qdog said:   I didn't buy one but thanks for the reminder, my license expired last month...No problem, you can renew for two years after expiration.

Follow to questions in this thread.

1. Difference between plus version and older model is case material has more metal, LED can flash as well as light, and newer firmware.
2. more metal in case may be implemented to form a better heat sync. Hence the life of the components will be longer, and the case may be more durable as well.
3.these radios do not have upgradable firmware. Later firmware has features that earlier ones lack. I think that direct entry of either a UHF or VHF frequency without changing bands is one such new feature.
4. Transmitting on the Ham bands requires a licence that while it is free or a small fee charged by some to give the test, requires study and passing a test. There are also limits on use of ham bands such as you cannot use them for commercial activities.
5. It appears that some of these are FCC part 90 approved so they can be used on Land Mobile Service Frequencies. These require a special license that is not easily obtained and not cheep. Your employer, or govt org or NGO may have one, but your variant of this radio must properly programmed and one of the Part 90 approved versions to operate under an LMS license.
6. FRS, GMRS, and MURS use is not legal in the US for these radios, they are not type accepted by the FCC for this. They will work, but use is not legal. Realize that the vast majority of GMRS use is illegal because GMARS requires a license that very few of the people why buy bubble pack type radios purchase this.. MURS anf FRS are license free but the radio is not type accepted and I think that the high power output may exceede MURS limits as well, high and low power exceede FRS limits as well as the Antenna type and connection.
7. Thr range radio to radio will be on the order of a mile in urban settings, and much further over water, hilltop to hilltop, flat prairie etc. ham operation with repeaters is entirely dependant on the repeater system. Linked repeaters can offer across the city, state or country if designed to do so. If you have access to a repeater network system like this you are probably aware of this already.
8. These are not good scanners, too slow, too hard to program, cant be set to skip channels directly from the keypad etc.
9. A large number of metro area police and fire depts are 800 MHz and can't be heard with these.
10, aircraft are AM and can't be heard with this also too low in frequency.

Skipping 53 Messages...
Thanks. I needed a couple for the upcoming zombie apocalypse.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014