• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Feit BR30 $15.99-$10 instant = $5.99 ** tax on full amount
Feit BR40 $21.99-$10 instant = $11.99 ** tax on full amount

I took the leap and switched over my whole house. Was waiting for sub $10 average to do so. The price on the BR30's is crazy cheap, if this wasn't Costco I would be suspicious. I am in for over 100 total. You need to buy them in incremets of 10 each, that is the instant rebate limit per transaction.

Just 6 months ago these bulbs were in the $30-$40 range, prices may contunue to fall, but I have not seen these type bulbs anywhere near this price. Costco is just an added plus. Hope this helps and happy shopping!

Member Summary

LED dimmable BR30
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I've replaced my outdoor LED pots with these last fall. 9 months later and i'm still having no issues, running them daw... (more)

maxpower2k (May. 23, 2013 @ 10:58a) |

Do the rebates vary by state? Is it a deal that one can take advantage of with an online purchase? -- PK

paulkeeler (Jun. 01, 2013 @ 7:30a) |

Yes, pk, they vary by location. Mine mention the major local utility company. And they are instant rebates, credited at ... (more)

SlimTim (Jun. 01, 2013 @ 10:36a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Please post your location as local utliities are known to sponsor these rebates, so YMMV according to location. Good price though

How are you able to use reflector-type bulbs throughout your house?

Should this be posted as YMMV with and location(s)/geographic region(s) where the product is available at the stated price?

CFL/LED "light bulb" prices are often associated with a specific area utility company participating in a reduce price by IR/IS/similar offer.

kindly provide link to bulbs and rebate.

The rebate is instant and at the register, I am not aware of this being a regional offer. I am in NJ BTW.

GreenTrash said:   How are you able to use reflector-type bulbs throughout your house?

I have alot of high hats in my house and in my basement.

Costco item number? Is it 661118? I've seen them for $17. I'm in the market for 100 of them too if there's a rebate!

Amazon reviews say they are slow to come on and don't dim well. Your experience?

cgshopper said:   Amazon reviews say they are slow to come on and don't dim well. Your experience?

I don't use them on dimmers so I can't speak to that. they are "instant" on as far as my experience has been with them. Amazon has 3! reviews, so I wouldn't put much weight on those quite yet. although they do dim, I think LED lights need special dimmers to accomplish that. I don't think that is specific to this light bulb or company, I think that with all LED's.

$15.99 - $10 instant. You should run and pick them up if you can. 10 at a time though, it says 10 MAX. I bought a few of these a month or so ago and I paid $17.49, this is a great deal.

I've been replacing my house from 40W halogena bulbs to 9W LED dimmable bulbs over the last year. I've found 2700K-3000K to be my preferred color temperature. 5000K just looked too artificial for my tastes. After replacing 12 bulbs in the kitchen, hallway, bedroom, and office my electric bill has decreased ~15%. I'll have to pick up a ten pack. Thanks OP.

I hate feit electronics. They are the worst of the worst bulbs. Can't go any lower.

Why would someone wants these when the regular spiral bulbs are 15watts and about $2.75/each

ezwrighter said:   I hate feit electronics. They are the worst of the worst bulbs. Can't go any lower.

If what you are saying is true atleast costco will stand behind them. That being said it is a pain to replace all these bulbs, and the packaging doesn't make it any easier. At $5.99 for a LED BR30 I will have to gamble.

What are the Lumens of these two bulbs. It's nice to say: LED, same size as existing bulb, lasts forever... but if it's not comparable to the Lumens of a 60+ watt bulb, it is not a suitable replacement. I will go to Costco tomorrow and look at the specs and buy plenty if they are indeed comparable.

neo2299 said:   Why would someone wants these when the regular spiral bulbs are 15watts and about $2.75/each

Someone would want these for a couple of reasons:
  • LED light is more natural looking and closer to incandescent than CFL
  • LED lights start more quickly than CFL
  • LED lights last even longer than CFLs (cost spread over longer time)

It's not all upside. LEDs are more sensitive to heat, which is why they all have big fins on them to keep them cool. LEDs are not currently classified as toxic, though they contain a number of toxic chemicals. I think they are still not as bad as CFLs, particularly when you consider the entire lifecycle from production to waste, but they can't really claim to be more ecological from a waste standpoint.

Price-wise, you are not comparing apples-apples. The cheapest CFL bulbs might match the price you speculatively quote (sometimes perhaps less with Gov't incentives) but dimmable CFLs are more expensive, at least the cost of these LED bulbs.

netesh said:   Please post your location as local utliities are known to sponsor these rebates, so YMMV according to location. Good price though

Tghis is definitely YMMV. Just got back from Costco in MO, they rang up as $15.99. Also asked manager about it and was told the instant rebate is through the power company so it's not available at all costcos.

Please also post a pic your receipt so perhaps we can do a pricematch

ezwrighter said:   I hate feit electronics. They are the worst of the worst bulbs. Can't go any lower.That's not universally true. Lowes' Utilitech brand is often made by Feit. Their new 40W equivalent candelabra LED is awesome. It's easily as bright as a 40 incandescent, light color is very pleasant, and it dims very smoothly. It's hard to find CFL/LED candelabras worth a darn and theirs is currently one of the best.

peas said:   ezwrighter said:   I hate feit electronics. They are the worst of the worst bulbs. Can't go any lower.That's not universally true. Lowes' Utilitech brand is often made by Feit. Their new 40W equivalent candelabra LED is awesome. It's easily as bright as a 40 incandescent, light color is very pleasant, and it dims very smoothly. It's hard to find CFL/LED candelabras worth a darn and theirs is currently one of the best.

I worry about the safety of feit bulbs. I had one of their cfl bulbs shoot sparks and explode. It blew the top off the cfl bulb and shot across the room. Luckily, nobody was hurt, I was right there, turned things off and threw it away. I will NEVER buy another feit bulb...period! Take your chances, sure...but the safety of my family is worth a lot more than a cheap bulb.

I heartily recommend not putting LED reflector bulbs in recessed cans. CREE CR6s are more efficient, dim better, produce better light and as an added bonus form a decent seal with your ceiling so that heat from the room doesn't go up through the can into your attic costing you money (of course this doesn't apply if the space above a room is not an attic). And if you buy The Home Depot version they're reasonably priced too.

Not putting down Feit in general, just saying for the intended purpose of these bulbs there are noticeably better options.

maximizese said:   I've been replacing my house from 40W halogena bulbs to 9W LED dimmable bulbs over the last year. I've found 2700K-3000K to be my preferred color temperature. 5000K just looked too artificial for my tastes. After replacing 12 bulbs in the kitchen, hallway, bedroom, and office my electric bill has decreased ~15%. I'll have to pick up a ten pack. Thanks OP.

They don't make a ten pack, they are individual..

HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   I heartily recommend not putting LED reflector bulbs in recessed cans. CREE CR6s are more efficient, dim better, produce better light and as an added bonus form a decent seal with your ceiling so that heat from the room doesn't go up through the can into your attic costing you money (of course this doesn't apply if the space above a room is not an attic). And if you buy The Home Depot version they're reasonably priced too.

Not putting down Feit in general, just saying for the intended purpose of these bulbs there are noticeably better options.

I'm curious as to why it is a bad idea to put LED reflectors in recessed cans.

Thanks.

Does anyone know the lumens?

bestdealseaker said:   Does anyone know the lumens?

Yeah, they live right down the street. Good people.

The rebate is regional - I got one of the BR40s yesterday in Colorado. Still a very good deal at $22. We've had the local utility company sponsor rebates on other bulbs before. I think OP is right to buy all he can at his net price, but I was considering more myself, the BR40 is very nice.

One extremely important benefit of LED lights is that they have no mercury. Neither do incandescent, but CFLs do. It isn't "a lot", but that stuff is very nasty and is the reason that proper disposal of CFL is usually not trivial.

The BR40 at my costco are item 670291, I don't see it on their website. But it's Feit, 17watts, 1065 lumens. FWIW, I find that LEDs are significantly brighter than their lumens would suggest when compared to incandescent and especially cfl. These are 2700k color, very warm, appear identical to the incandescent being replaced. They're marked as dimmable and good for recessed & track installation. There is a very brief but noticeable delay between flipping the switch on and the light going on. But unlike cfl, it's full brightness right away. This delay is not an inherent LED behavior, we have some cree par38s and two other types that have no delay at all. But it's there on these.

As you'd expect, costco was very good about returning a pack of led candelabra bulbs that buzzed everywhere (including in a fan that afaik is not dimmable). It actually struck me then that they're so friendly and trusting on returns but paranoid and suspicious when you roll your stuff from the register to the exit!

If you get a rebate, stock up while you can. Our regional rebates on other bulbs ran a good while but have ended, so those cree Par38 are back up to $36. Even with their rebate it was $26, that's why I thought these at $22 are a good deal.

Anybody been able to see this deal in Northern VA? May need to make a run to Costco, but do not have one close by.

ezwrighter said:   I hate feit electronics. They are the worst of the worst bulbs. Can't go any lower.have you ever tried lights of america? i would rank them lower than feit. here's an old article about them. costco used to sell that brand but switched to feit: ftc sued lights of america

SlimTim said:   One extremely important benefit of LED lights is that they have no mercury. Neither do incandescent, but CFLs do. It isn't "a lot", but that stuff is very nasty and is the reason that proper disposal of CFL is usually not trivial.

Suffice it to say, my wife is not very comfortable with CFLs in the house: http://www.epa.gov/mercury/spills/index.htm

unmesh said:   HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   I heartily recommend not putting LED reflector bulbs in recessed cans. CREE CR6s are more efficient, dim better, produce better light and as an added bonus form a decent seal with your ceiling so that heat from the room doesn't go up through the can into your attic costing you money (of course this doesn't apply if the space above a room is not an attic). And if you buy The Home Depot version they're reasonably priced too.

Thanks.

I could hardly have been more specific. I said it was because there are better options, I listed the options and then also explained why they are better.

How about you do some searching for yourself?

http://blog.greenhomesamerica.com/2010/12/31/cree-cr6-review-a-b...

HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   unmesh said:   HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   I heartily recommend not putting LED reflector bulbs in recessed cans. CREE CR6s are more efficient, dim better, produce better light and as an added bonus form a decent seal with your ceiling so that heat from the room doesn't go up through the can into your attic costing you money (of course this doesn't apply if the space above a room is not an attic). And if you buy The Home Depot version they're reasonably priced too.

Thanks.

I could hardly have been more specific. I said it was because there are better options, I listed the options and then also explained why they are better.

How about you do some searching for yourself?

http://blog.greenhomesamerica.com/2010/12/31/cree-cr6-review-a-b...

Sorry to have upset you and thanks for the link.

Since I have halogen bulbs in my recessed cans, I was surprised to read that the (possibly least efficient) LED bulbs might be problematic even though they would still consume a fraction of the power of the halogens.

The Costco's in MA also ran a deal that just ended. The CFL floods were $1 or less a piece, but LED floods were around $10. I did not buy since that's still too steep. The CFLs take awhile to brighten, which is a little annoying but given it used so much less energy, I can tolerate it.

Hoogineer said:   SlimTim said:   One extremely important benefit of LED lights is that they have no mercury. Neither do incandescent, but CFLs do. It isn't "a lot", but that stuff is very nasty and is the reason that proper disposal of CFL is usually not trivial.

Suffice it to say, my wife is not very comfortable with CFLs in the house: http://www.epa.gov/mercury/spills/index.htm

The quantity of mercury in a CFL is sooo tiny vs. the amount in thermometers or old thermostats
http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html
What if I can't follow all the recommended steps? or I cleaned up a CFL but didn't do it properly?
Don't be alarmed; these steps are only precautions that reflect best practices for cleaning up a broken CFL. Keep in mind that CFLs contain a very small amount of mercury -- less than 1/100th of the amount in a mercury thermometer.

$15.99 in SW Florida, they were $17.99 until this past Monday. I too would get 100 of these at $6.99 each to replace lighting (75 watt PAR 30) in my retail store. These bulbs are 750 lumens, Costco item # is 611118. Man, I wish my electric utility would get on the bandwagon for this one.

I compared these Feit BR30s with the Ecosmart bulb from HD:

EcoSmart 14-Watt (75W) Soft White (2700K) BR30 LED Flood Light Bulb

The two bulbs were pretty much identical in output and color temperature. The only real difference I noticed was that the heatsinking on the HD bulb was much heavier duty. The Ecosmart bulb was just under 1 lb., where the Feit from Costco was 12 oz. Ecosmart has a flow-through heatsink with holes, where the Feit had fins only. These Feit bulbs get HOT!, and heat is no friend to LEDs and lumen maintenance.

Oh, I forgot to add that I have these same Feits at home and the dimming performance is excellent. You need to use the right dimmer though. The Lutron C-L (CFL & LED) dimmer works great and has a trimming dial on it so you can set a very low low. These get really low, much lower than the dimmable CFLs that they replaced.

Are dimmers for CFL/LED different than for regular bulbs? I have tons of dimmers in my house that were used for regular PAR30 bulbs. Now I don't know if it's ok to put a CFL BR30 into the socket (I just bought dimmable BR30 CFLs).

I got the BR 30 at NJ. The instant rebate is only $8. They are dimmable and works fine. I needd few more. Only seven were available . If any one finds in NJ stores, pl update

I have same question. Do I need to change switch in order to use this kind of LED dimmable bulbs?

Noodle

mmyk72 said:   Are dimmers for CFL/LED different than for regular bulbs? I have tons of dimmers in my house that were used for regular PAR30 bulbs. Now I don't know if it's ok to put a CFL BR30 into the socket (I just bought dimmable BR30 CFLs).

noodle04 said:   I have same question. Do I need to change switch in order to use this kind of LED dimmable bulbs?

Noodle

mmyk72 said:   Are dimmers for CFL/LED different than for regular bulbs? I have tons of dimmers in my house that were used for regular PAR30 bulbs. Now I don't know if it's ok to put a CFL BR30 into the socket (I just bought dimmable BR30 CFLs).

In theory, no. Most cheap dimmers should be okay with dimmable CFLs and LEDs. But in reality older ones don't seem to be.

Recent dimmers meant to dim CFL and incandescent (C-L marked dimmers, also known as leading edge dimmers) should be able to dim these LEDs too. Although some may only be able to dim a certain number of them at once (say 6 or 8 of them).

Skipping 45 Messages...
Yes, pk, they vary by location. Mine mention the major local utility company. And they are instant rebates, credited at the register. So no forms or waiting, but for Costco, no availability online that I've seen.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.