FatWallet Redesign is **Now Live**

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
Anyone else having trouble clicking on the "Shop now" links on the front page? They don't work for me. I'm also on my crappy work computer and I probably don't have the latest Java updates.

A question : Why do a beta if you're going to put it in production a day later?
This does not make sense to me at all from a software/web programming perspective.

Can we have a kinder and gentler green bar. Please.

No amount of glitz makes up for the fact that other sites have higher CashBack rates..

Bizatch said:   No amount of glitz makes up for the fact that other sites have higher CashBack rates..

Hey Bizatch!

Thanks for the feedback. To help us improve our service, could you provide some examples? What sites are providing higher Cash Back for which merchants? We do review our merchant relationships quite often. Your feedback could help us provide a better service for you at FatWallet.

I like it!

Looks great!

I like it

how about a feature to show which threads I have participated in?

Nice look and feel.....

Big Fan of FAT WALLET!!!

parisbill

Hey OP, since you're telling us where to go, how about giving us some links to it?

Can only see the top 1/5th of the words/links between the funky green header bar and hot deals title. The ones that say hot-deals, free stuff, topic alert, etc.

is there a way to have the stuff on the green bar movable (like the way the bar for the forum catagories)? no offense, but I just want the forums...and would like to keep that to the most left (i usually ignore the other stuff: coupons/CashBack/deals/sales)

the look is different...sure reminds me of Groupon though...

MVP9596 said:   Bizatch said:   No amount of glitz makes up for the fact that other sites have higher CashBack rates..

Hey Bizatch!

Thanks for the feedback. To help us improve our service, could you provide some examples? What sites are providing higher Cash Back for which merchants? We do review our merchant relationships quite often. Your feedback could help us provide a better service for you at FatWallet.

For myself, I tend to go through

chase:
Office Depot (and possibly Staples...they tend to have 3%...shopdiscover has 5% but chase doesn't really require a person to use a chase card...)

shopdiscover:
Groupon (15% is really decent)

of course I'm a minority in my shopping habits. (i tend to go through fatwallet for OfficeMax since that's a strange 4% vs a 3% on chase....I also go through fatwallet and chase for the Sam's Club stuff)

in any case, keep up the hard work everyone!

turtlebug said:   Can we have a kinder and gentler green bar. Please.

Yes, the new green is somewhat jarring. Why not have it match the fatwallet logo green?

hawpi said:   tajar96 said:   Nice. Any way to add more quick links to the different forums and whether we can get daily finance emails like we get hot deals for the last 3 hours. Thanks FW!

Hi tajar96!

To the right of the quick links is an "edit". If you go there, you can add one more. You can ALSO change all of the others to suit you. So, for example, if you don't use the Free Stuff forum, or don't need quick access to your Topic Alerts, you could change those to one of the forums you'd rather have there. Hope that helps!

I am looking to add more links when I click on the edit link, right now it only allows 7. Thanks.

MVP9596 said:   Bizatch said:   No amount of glitz makes up for the fact that other sites have higher CashBack rates..

Hey Bizatch!

Does it really matter? The last time I ordered something, AC/Furnance filters if you want to know, by going through FW it never showed up in my CB account. Not that it was much, but com'on. Oh, and the merchant claimed to have it in stock only to tell me once I ordered it that it was OOS and would be filled 3+ weeks later.

Didn't look at it. No need to. All I do is open a tab in hot deals, and another in FWF, and just refresh manually from time to time. If I see something that interests me, I open it in another tab.

Before Tabbing browsers, I just had 20 some windows open.

TRUE CLASSIC FW, Tech style!!!

Don't take those away from me....

I like it. Sorta looks like Newegg's deals page, though.

scrouds said:   hate to be debbie downer, but I just surf the forums, and now the top bar doesn't match the forum colors whatsoever. Maybe want to look at adding some greenish tones to the forum as well. It really does clash with the solid gray / silver look.

right now stuff is "regular color" but when I was on the other computer all the text was green

No kidding. They're willing to add junk to "classic" for the sake of advertising / revenue, but won't fix existing issues. I've been with FW for a good while now and haven't bothered to look at the other sites because I'm comfortable with the same old same old. If they keep changing classic until it's like a new site, then I might as well go.

KuoH

KayK said:   A question : Why do a beta if you're going to put it in production a day later?

KuoH said:   No kidding. They're willing to add junk to "classic" for the sake of advertising / revenue, but won't fix existing issues. I've been with FW for a good while now and haven't bothered to look at the other sites because I'm comfortable with the same old same old. If they keep changing classic until it's like a new site, then I might as well go.

KuoH

KayK said:   A question : Why do a beta if you're going to put it in production a day later?

The classic forums shouldn't have changed other than the header. What are you seeing that's different?

bug report... it looks good on default zoom, but when zoomed in, hovering on the rightmost product tiles will shift the tiles.

Try it under zoom +1 in firefox and you shall see..

-- edit --

Basically when you changed from default zoom, you will see the tile shifting.. Any zoom other than the default zoom level.

Likely caused by the margin: -2px 20px -2px 20px;.. You don't want to change the exterior of the box model for the blue border.

Whoa. Stackexchange.

MVP9596 said:   KuoH said:   No kidding. They're willing to add junk to "classic" for the sake of advertising / revenue, but won't fix existing issues. I've been with FW for a good while now and haven't bothered to look at the other sites because I'm comfortable with the same old same old. If they keep changing classic until it's like a new site, then I might as well go.

KuoH

The classic forums shouldn't have changed other than the header. What are you seeing that's different?

Since you answered Kuoh's answer, why not answer mine?
Why did this redesign go from beta to production in 1 day? Why not let users use it for a while and tell you what they like and dont like?
Was it your (programmer's) call or was it the call of upper management (the "new" upper management.. after FW was bought out) to push out the new changes ASAP?

You'll get over it.

Been here for a decade and generally don't like change without purpose or improvement, this remake is great. All good nice work.

KayK said:   ...Why did this redesign go from beta to production in 1 day? Why not let users use it for a while and tell you what they like and dont like?
Was it your (programmer's) call or was it the call of upper management (the "new" upper management.. after FW was bought out) to push out the new changes ASAP?
It was in a different environment a while longer with a limited set of users giving feedback. Life on beta was indeed short, but the decision to push to live was made with developers, IT, designer, project manager, and FW exec all in the room. To be honest, this was a bit behind schedule and we started to push against Black Friday releases. Still, we have a list of post-launch improvements coming along and are open to more feedback. I'm anxious to listen, test, and improve on what we have.

Next, we need an apple app.

The only thing I really (really really) dislike is how the CashBack stores are now listed with a logo on the left instead of a simple text name. It's horrible. Try putting the logo to the right of the text listing and it might not be so hard to read.

Can we make the green menu bar optional? I never use it. All I care about is the Forums bar which is smaller than the upper bar. Can you make the Forums bar larger or put something between them? Too easy to fat finger the upper bar.

If we can't eliminate the green menu bar can we customize it like we can our Forums bar? Would like to not see the stuff I'll never use like Product Deals and the region deals. Don't know how the "local" region got selected for me but its 200 miles away. When I click on it so see other options the next closest is 350 miles away.

eta: tried changing color scheme to red to see if I could get rid of the NEW but it doesn't go away
rather than playing w/ design, how about working on ability to multi-quote and not having to have the "edit" line come up immediately. If you're trying to be more like that other site, those are really nice features over there :cool:

I don't think Fatwallet needs a redesign I think they need new forum software. It's getting a bit old.

I panic when I didn't see "Forum" on the 2 - 3 tab.

Now update the Android app!

The 2012 Black Friday forum link should be the popular forums toolbar, not hidden in a drop down menu (at least until Dec 1st).

The "Today's Best Deals" page is not good. The home page is a cluttered mess.

The giant-sized blocks take more time to scroll through and provide no additional information than the old style.

To be perfectly honest, I had no problems whatsoever with the existing version.

I am a little concerned that someone at FW is getting the same mindset as eBay (now rebranded as 'e.b.a.y.*' , with 100% less convenience) and doing the change thing to justify their position.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

JMO

ETA: and autocorrect is annoying. Change the eBay spellcheck to reflect the all-lowercase version, if you must nanny everything we write.

*remove .'s, as autocorrect knows more than users

Old site was better in ease of navigation. Changes are difficult to adopt but this design looks all jumbled. I wish there was an option to use the old way.

footn200 said:   KayK said:   ...Why did this redesign go from beta to production in 1 day? Why not let users use it for a while and tell you what they like and dont like?
It was in a different environment a while longer with a limited set of users giving feedback. Life on beta was indeed short, but the decision to push to live was made with developers, IT, designer, project manager, and FW exec all in the room. To be honest, this was a bit behind schedule and we started to push against Black Friday releases. Still, we have a list of post-launch improvements coming along and are open to more feedback. I'm anxious to listen, test, and improve on what we have.

As another member mentioned, FW was bought out (which I was not aware of, but explains a lot of things)

For those interested: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110909005185/en/Ebates-A...

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120619005574/en/Performa...

The problem with VC acquisitions of innovative sites is the owner and early investors walk away with a bundle, some long-timers get some nice checks, and everyone else gets a meeting where the outgoing CEO tells them how this is the best deal for them, and what was once special begins to fall apart.

I've been through this (on both sides of the coin) and few things drive the heart and soul out of a company like new high-powered execs with the proper pedigree coming in and 'rebranding' everything. What worked is cast out, as the new 6-figure hotshots (with options) tell everyone who has been doing their job how to do it better. Depending on personal situations, old-timers either grumble and take it or quietly move on. Instead of stuff being fun & cool, it's all about meeting some top execs latest target, so he can get a bigger bonus.

This may get deleted, but that has been my experience, and that of others I know in both tech and non-tech industries.

FW is big enough to survive, as are most companies, even if it is only to be flipped to yet another buyer or IPO'ed after the latest management feels they can make another big payday.

So back to the topic then, changes and co-branding (or whatever the latest marketing silver bullet is) do not engender loyalty. They just sort of drive down what was unique to another commodity site. And that's a shame. Been a FW member for nearly 10 years, and will hang in there, but just some friendly advice that losing too much of what got you there will open up holes for new competitors. BTDT too.

Beta your changes more before rolling them out. The exec who pushes deadlines counter to this needs to get on with their life's work.

fivetalents said:   The 2012 Black Friday forum link should be the popular forums toolbar, not hidden in a drop down menu (at least until Dec 1st).

You can customize which forums you want to display in your subnav (and then show up as your popular forums on the hover drop down) here.

piroto said:   The "Today's Best Deals" page is not good. The home page is a cluttered mess.

The giant-sized blocks take more time to scroll through and provide no additional information than the old style.

You can choose from the default grid view, with the small boxes in the top right corner, just above the top row of deals.

MVP9596 said:   piroto said:   The "Today's Best Deals" page is not good. The home page is a cluttered mess.

You can choose from the default grid view, with the small boxes in the top right corner, just above the top row of deals.

Did not see that - tried the optional views and compared them with a cached old version. Still prefer the older - the new ones look like everything is crammed inside an Avery label. Sorry

MVP9596 said:   fivetalents said:   The 2012 Black Friday forum link should be the popular forums toolbar, not hidden in a drop down menu (at least until Dec 1st).

You can customize which forums you want to display in your subnav (and then show up as your popular forums on the hover drop down) here.

I think that you missed my point. BF is a huuuuuuge event. Display the link prominently, as ha been done in the past, without requiring accessing drop down menus or special account modifications. This is a convenience for everyone, including new visitors.

NO LIKE. They started to do some funky CRAP like merging threads that were very relevant. I posted a deal on Canon 5D Mark III on a different thread and it was merged with some stupid crap and disappeared. One looking for a similar deal would loose that opportunity

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014