FatWallet Redesign is **Now Live**

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 12 3
  • Text Only
BTW, when I mention that the menu bar causes my eyes pain, I am not exaggerating. It causes strain and discomfort.

The red "New" tag on the local deals is very likely contributing to the eye strain. I recommend getting rid of it altogether until you come up with a better color combination.

From Microsoft:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/powerpoint-help/combining-colo...
Red and Green Color Combinations also Cause Eye Strain

I have a strong feeling that my red-green colorblindness contributes to the discomfort in my eyes that the menubar causes my eyes when looking at forums. It might bother me more than someone else. A pretty large percentage of men have a form of colorblindness.

IMO, this is pretty serious. If I was a first time user, I would run away from this site. Causing discomfort to your users is the opposite of what you are trying to accomplish.

note:
The red on green rule isn't without exceptions, however it pretty much is a big no-no when you are using very rich colors.

DELETE

YEAP this place is going down. I can see it ALREADY

piroto said:   footn200 said:   KayK said:   ...Why did this redesign go from beta to production in 1 day? Why not let users use it for a while and tell you what they like and dont like?
Was it your (programmer's) call or was it the call of upper management (the "new" upper management.. after FW was bought out) to push out the new changes ASAP?
It was in a different environment a while longer with a limited set of users giving feedback. Life on beta was indeed short, but the decision to push to live was made with developers, IT, designer, project manager, and FW exec all in the room. To be honest, this was a bit behind schedule and we started to push against Black Friday releases. Still, we have a list of post-launch improvements coming along and are open to more feedback. I'm anxious to listen, test, and improve on what we have.

As another member mentioned, FW was bought out (which I was not aware of, but explains a lot of things)

For those interested: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110909005185/en/Ebates-A...

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120619005574/en/Performa...

The problem with VC acquisitions of innovative sites is the owner and early investors walk away with a bundle, some long-timers get some nice checks, and everyone else gets a meeting where the outgoing CEO tells them how this is the best deal for them, and what was once special begins to fall apart.

I've been through this (on both sides of the coin) and few things drive the heart and soul out of a company like new high-powered execs with the proper pedigree coming in and 'rebranding' everything. What worked is cast out, as the new 6-figure hotshots (with options) tell everyone who has been doing their job how to do it better. Depending on personal situations, old-timers either grumble and take it or quietly move on. Instead of stuff being fun & cool, it's all about meeting some top execs latest target, so he can get a bigger bonus.

This may get deleted, but that has been my experience, and that of others I know in both tech and non-tech industries.

FW is big enough to survive, as are most companies, even if it is only to be flipped to yet another buyer or IPO'ed after the latest management feels they can make another big payday.

So back to the topic then, changes and co-branding (or whatever the latest marketing silver bullet is) do not engender loyalty. They just sort of drive down what was unique to another commodity site. And that's a shame. Been a FW member for nearly 10 years, and will hang in there, but just some friendly advice that losing too much of what got you there will open up holes for new competitors. BTDT too.

Beta your changes more before rolling them out. The exec who pushes deadlines counter to this needs to get on with their life's work.

EthanWeisinger said:   YEAP this place is going down. I can see it ALREADYThis place isnt going anywhere. There have been many changes before in the 10 years that I have been here.. and there will be many more in future too.
I'm just a little disappointed that enough time wasnt given for the members to test out the beta and give them feedback.

HATE, hate, hate the new layout.

fivetalents said:   MVP9596 said:   fivetalents said:   The 2012 Black Friday forum link should be the popular forums toolbar, not hidden in a drop down menu (at least until Dec 1st).

You can customize which forums you want to display in your subnav (and then show up as your popular forums on the hover drop down) here.

I think that you missed my point. BF is a huuuuuuge event. Display the link prominently, as ha been done in the past, without requiring accessing drop down menus or special account modifications. This is a convenience for everyone, including new visitors.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, it WILL be displayed more prominently, maybe as early as next week when we launch our BF stuff. I expect it to be a big button on the home page, but not sure if it will be part of the header on every page. I'm not certain how everything is going to be displayed though.

Nice new web, if it added something like 1SaleADay.com, i can buy something very worthy.

I hate the new look. I actually had to use SD today to see if I was missing out on any deals.

EthanWeisinger said:   YEAP this place is going down. I can see it ALREADY

piroto said:   footn200 said:   KayK said:   ...Why did this redesign go from beta to production in 1 day? Why not let users use it for a while and tell you what they like and dont like?
Was it your (programmer's) call or was it the call of upper management (the "new" upper management.. after FW was bought out) to push out the new changes ASAP?
It was in a different environment a while longer with a limited set of users giving feedback. Life on beta was indeed short, but the decision to push to live was made with developers, IT, designer, project manager, and FW exec all in the room. To be honest, this was a bit behind schedule and we started to push against Black Friday releases. Still, we have a list of post-launch improvements coming along and are open to more feedback. I'm anxious to listen, test, and improve on what we have.

As another member mentioned, FW was bought out (which I was not aware of, but explains a lot of things)

For those interested: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110909005185/en/Ebates-A...

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120619005574/en/Performa...

The problem with VC acquisitions of innovative sites is the owner and early investors walk away with a bundle, some long-timers get some nice checks, and everyone else gets a meeting where the outgoing CEO tells them how this is the best deal for them, and what was once special begins to fall apart.

I've been through this (on both sides of the coin) and few things drive the heart and soul out of a company like new high-powered execs with the proper pedigree coming in and 'rebranding' everything. What worked is cast out, as the new 6-figure hotshots (with options) tell everyone who has been doing their job how to do it better. Depending on personal situations, old-timers either grumble and take it or quietly move on. Instead of stuff being fun & cool, it's all about meeting some top execs latest target, so he can get a bigger bonus.

This may get deleted, but that has been my experience, and that of others I know in both tech and non-tech industries.

FW is big enough to survive, as are most companies, even if it is only to be flipped to yet another buyer or IPO'ed after the latest management feels they can make another big payday.

So back to the topic then, changes and co-branding (or whatever the latest marketing silver bullet is) do not engender loyalty. They just sort of drive down what was unique to another commodity site. And that's a shame. Been a FW member for nearly 10 years, and will hang in there, but just some friendly advice that losing too much of what got you there will open up holes for new competitors. BTDT too.

Beta your changes more before rolling them out. The exec who pushes deadlines counter to this needs to get on with their life's work.

Many of us (I assume?!) knew about this over a year ago, seeing as it was stickied in HD by the Chief himself. This isn't new news *all of sudden* forcing the redesign of the site. As KayK said above me, there's been changes in the past, and there always will be. BOOST!

^not to mention I have been invited to test FW betas in the past, so there were members playing with it before we even knew about it

WideOpenSpaces said:   Thank goodness it looks like we can still use the old version of the forums. Please don't lose that option.

AMEN, brother or sister!!

I really dislike the changes to the "Today's Best Deals" page. Those long and tall boxes are too skinny to show what's inside them adequately like the previous version did fine. And I think FW did need to do some updating... and they still do. You changed the "Today's Best Deals" page and made it MUCH MUCH worse than it was before (I quite liked it before and yes I did try the alternate styles options and dislike them all). I think you took something that was fine and nearly broke it. And the thing that still needs a major update is the Forums! You're using old software on that and it lacks some nice features like multi-quote, and I just never thought it looked very aesthetically pleasing.

In my opinion you changed what didn't need to be changed and left alone what did need to be changed. I'm not going to abandon FW because of this, but I probably will use it less and start using some competitors more instead.

treMMor, I appreciate your feedback. I hope we can make it a better experience for you. Each offer is actually wider now, but contains far less in terms of title/description. I agree it's a problem, and it's something we're working on as we continue to tweak our displays.

Edit 11/5: We have now increased the title/description 50% !! (We added a third line.)
Hope that's at least a step in the right direction.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014