• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I just found this deal from Carnival Cruise lines out of Miami for December 10-14, 2012. 4 night cruise, 2 to an interior cabin, total of $454.30 for the stateroom, taxes included. Additional costs would be parking at the pier, gratuities, and whatever excursions you might book. Awesome price. Oceanview staterooms available for $10/pp additional, for a total of $474.30.

Interior Stateroom
# of Travelers: 2 Travelers
Rate: Pack & Go [$298.00]
Subtotal*
Total 2 : $298.00
*Gov't Fees/Taxes: $156.30
Total: $454.30

**Last Minute Specials. Non-refundable cruise fare.**

Member Summary

Carnival
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Huh?

Slickone (Nov. 09, 2012 @ 11:22a) |

gosh

sounds like a bunch of old nagging grandma's n pa's replied in this thread

what ever happen to the old saying if you... (more)

crtt (Nov. 09, 2012 @ 11:29a) |

Puerto Vallarta and Acapulco (and Mazatlan too it seems) are not very safe places now. I would stick with the northern Y... (more)

Slickone (Nov. 09, 2012 @ 11:49a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

carnival - the WalMart of the cruise industry...

that's one point of view.. but plenty of people love Carnival. Try to be a little less judgmental.

sure good deal. off-season dates have been low this fall: NCL offered $119 in Oct.

Make sure to get at least $25 OBC from cruises'n'more or cruisecompete or whoever else may get a mention below(?)

Mom25Kids said:   that's one point of view.. but plenty of people love Carnival. Try to be a little less judgmental.What's judgmental about stating a fact? You yourself reinforced it by your own comment.
Think about it.

Ok, I've thought about it. Your comparison of Carnival to WalMart has absolutely nothing to do with whether my post is a good deal. You don't like Carnival? You're entitled to your opinion. In any event, this post isn't about you.. it's about a cruise deal.

Thank you OP, Keep The Cruise deals coming.

I dont shop @ WM ever, But I have gone on a Carnival Cruise.

Carnival Corporation

AIDA Cruises, Germany
Carnival Cruise Lines, United States
Costa Cruises, Italy
Cunard Line, United Kingdom
Holland America Line, United States
Ibero Cruises, Spain
P&O Cruises, United Kingdom
P&O Cruises Australia, Australia
Princess Cruises, United States
Seabourn Cruise Line, United States

Brands and ships

Carnival Cruise Lines Carnival Breeze, Carnival Conquest, Carnival Destiny, Carnival Dream, Carnival Ecstasy, Carnival Elation, Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Fascination, Carnival Freedom, Carnival Glory, Carnival Imagination, Carnival Inspiration, Carnival Legend, Carnival Liberty, Carnival Magic, Carnival Miracle, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Pride, Carnival Sensation, Carnival Spirit, Carnival Splendor, Carnival Triumph, Carnival Valor, Carnival Victory
Holland America Line Amsterdam, Eurodam, Maasdam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Noordam, Oosterdam, Prinsendam, Rotterdam, Ryndam, Statendam, Veendam, Volendam, Westerdam, Zaandam, Zuiderdam
Princess Cruises Caribbean Princess, Coral Princess, Crown Princess, Dawn Princess, Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess, Golden Princess, Grand Princess, Island Princess, Ocean Princess, Pacific Princess, Royal Princess, Ruby Princess, Sapphire Princess, Sea Princess, Star Princess, Sun Princess
Seabourn Cruise Line Seabourn Legend, Seabourn Pride, Seabourn Spirit, Seabourn Odyssey, Seabourn Sojourn, Seabourn Quest

Pulled from wikipedia

Mom25Kids said:   Ok, I've thought about it. Your comparison of Carnival to WalMart has absolutely nothing to do with whether my post is a good deal. You don't like Carnival? You're entitled to your opinion. In any event, this post isn't about you.. it's about a cruise deal.And yet you gave him red?

We did Carnival Imagination and it was by far the best cruise I've done. Norwegian Pearl was okay but the rooms, entertainment and food couldn't compare to Carnival.

This seems like a great deal. I've never been on a cruise before but just booked a 4 night Tampa to Cozumel on Royal Carribean with a "deluxe" balcony room for 688 including tax. That's around 86 per person per night. This deal is about 56 per person per night.

Not sure if the balcony is worth it, but the significant other was very happy with that aspect! Now whether I got a good deal or not, I don't know!

Been on 10 Carnival cruises, and some other lines, and they all have issues... If you want to have fun and let loose, go Carnival. If you want to dress up and smoke cigars, go on others.

Have you ever read some of the complaints that people post like "Carnival is the worst cruise line in the world, it was my first cruise and they made me sea sick"

I enjoyed 9 of them, as one was going into dry dock and they started construction while we were on it at sea... But they made it right.

aarzi said:   Mom25Kids said:   Ok, I've thought about it. Your comparison of Carnival to WalMart has absolutely nothing to do with whether my post is a good deal. You don't like Carnival? You're entitled to your opinion. In any event, this post isn't about you.. it's about a cruise deal.And yet you gave him red?

And funny thing is I didn't give OP red either... boo

Mom25Kids said:   Additional costs would be parking at the pier

Just an fyi for anybody who qualifies... if you have a handicap plate or placard, parking at the Miami pier is free. You do need to have the qualifying handicap person with you to have the parking fees waived at departure.

kram2583 said:   This seems like a great deal. I've never been on a cruise before but just booked a 4 night Tampa to Cozumel on Royal Carribean with a "deluxe" balcony room for 688 including tax. That's around 86 per person per night. This deal is about 56 per person per night.

Not sure if the balcony is worth it, but the significant other was very happy with that aspect! Now whether I got a good deal or not, I don't know!
Balconies are over-rated, except perhaps in out-at-sea long-duration cross-Atlantic cruises. Or maybe Alaskan cruises. On all other cruises, you want to spend as little time as possible in your cabin (or it's balcony). In fact, if you are prone to motion-sickness, an inside cabin is actually preferable.

link ?

a better job on someone's behalf would be a link NOT to carnival, but a direct link to a website that pays O.B.C. to buyer of this deal

kram2583 said:   This seems like a great deal. I've never been on a cruise before but just booked a 4 night Tampa to Cozumel on Royal Carribean with a "deluxe" balcony room for 688 including tax. That's around 86 per person per night. This deal is about 56 per person per night.

Now whether I got a good deal or not, I don't know!

For our honeymoon my soon to be wife and I are doing an 8 day/7 night Tampa to Honduras, Cozumel, and Belize on Norwegian, cruise dates: 11/25-12/2, interior cabin (only time in the room will be for sex, sleep, shower). Got it at a steal for $369/pp, total for both of us with taxes is $960 which is about $68/night pp. Plus we have a $75 OBC.

I haven't been on Carnival, but have been on Royal Caribbean.

My wife and I have done 10 or 12 cruises in the last decade from San Diego to Miami to Hong Kong to Le Havre on NCL, Carnival, Cunard, and Holland America, and the best ones have been on Carnival. We started with a cabin with a porthole, then moved to a balcony, then, on the last few, got an aft balcony. Next time, we will probably do one of those aft suites.

She could go do all those cooking and tea things, and I could sit out on the balcony, catch some rays, read a book and knock off a few cold ones then go in for a nap. My wife would complain from time to time that I had spent a thousand bucks and there I am lounging on the balcony watching the waves go by and reading a book curled up in bed before dinner. And I would say "That's what I paid a thousand bucks for." Case closed.

Best times I ever had were in the Mexican ports of call, especially Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Acapulco and Zihuantanejo. Good time in Jamaica and Cayman Island. Sad to say, Mexico is probably out of the question for us for a long time now. Cancun, Cabo, Eastern Coast were OK, but had a blast at the first 4 I listed.

Half the fun is planning what you will do.

In Puerto Vallarta, I decided not to take the tour to that "falls" south of town (can't think of the name) where some river goes over waterfalls with several levels and you can dive off the cliffs. We took a bus from downtown for like a buck, got dropped off for a connecting bus in some little village with a beautiful beach at the bottom of the hill with chickens and dust running and blowing around. ON the way back, the bus had a totally cracked window next to us and raced down the cliffside road blasting Mexican music and bouncing all the way as we sat over the rear axle which seemed to have worn out shock absorbers. My wife thinks we were lucky to make the trip alive, but we will never forget each step of the way. Had the best chile relleno we ever ordered down there too.

Hmmm. Makes me want to cruise again.

P.S. On the HAL ship, we got stuck at a dinner table with two doctors and their wives. One couple disappeared after the first night or two, and the other was vaguely interesting. At lunch one day, we sat with a couple other couples and one old bag asked if we had ever cruised before (like everybody usually asks) and we told them our favorite was Carnival Spirit. She looked thru her reading glasses down her long pointy stuck up nose and said "Aren't they the FUN ships?" Very condescending, but we decided during that trip to NEVER do HAL again. There were other customer service issues that we found totally unacceptable, and our complaints were never resolved or addressed, but sadly they are the same company anyway. That trip kind of soured me on cruising a bit because once your are aboard and find it sucks, you are stuck for the duration, unless you let them drop you off to take advantage of their guarantee, but that too would be a huge hassle. Anyway, I started having fun just irritating some of the other guests that were a pain in the a$$, and enjoyed some of the rest of the cruise. I was really pissed at some of the things they promised and never provided along with the poor response to valid complaints after promising additional follow-up; YMMV.

If you have not cruised Carnival, you owe yourself at least one. Some say there are too many kids, and I hate kids myself, but they never bothered me, except for when all the kids were in the adult pool and nobody would do anything about it until one of them (I presume it was a kid) let a t#rd float to the surface. Geez. Keep the kids in the daycare (I think they call it Camp Carnival)!

I'm sure everybody has good and unforgettable stories to tell about their cruise vacations. We have dozens. Sorry if this sounded more like a trip report than a comment about a cruise line!

BTW, we had a blast in Miami and spent 5 nights there before the cruise, as I had never been. Wonderful, wonderful place to visit!!! Museums, food, beaches, and hotels and day-trips. Flew into FLL from SAN, got to hotel in mid evening, and awoke to waves and beach right outside our balcony. Of course, we could get the same thing at home in SAN, but Miami is warmer and has nice warm ocean too! I would return in a heartbeat. As I recall, Cozumel was not one of our faves though.

Enjoy,
Cogito

r u sure it was a steal? Price would be a steal if dates were a week earlier or on Xmas. Thank God you got $75 back!
AJR said:   kram2583 said:   This seems like a great deal. I've never been on a cruise before but just booked a 4 night Tampa to Cozumel on Royal Carribean with a "deluxe" balcony room for 688 including tax. That's around 86 per person per night. This deal is about 56 per person per night.

For our honeymoon my soon to be wife and I are doing an 8 day/7 night Tampa to Honduras, Cozumel, and Belize on Norwegian, cruise dates: 11/25-12/2, interior cabin (only time in the room will be for sex, sleep, shower). Got it at a steal for $369/pp, total for both of us with taxes is $960 which is about $68/night pp. Plus we have a $75 OBC.

rsuaver said:   carnival - the WalMart of the cruise industry...

Well if you have money you can go to Macy's (or Disney cruise)

Beat me to it.

99% of the time you get the same exact price via Cruise Compete + more on board credit than the cruise line (or places like cruises.com) *might* be offering.

I typically get the best deals from Cabin Clearance Store, via Cruise Compete. You have to go through Cruise Compete to get the best prices from them which is why I'm not every going to post their normal website link. Just make sure to compare category to category, deck to deck, as prices can be different based on either.

Nothing wrong with Carnival. Any cheap cruise that is going on while school is in session shouldn't be too bad. Cheap cruises when school is out can be craziness.

As always, read up on your cruise/itinerary/ports on cruisecritic (.com) prior to booking and leaving to get up to the date advice. Just try and read an equal amount of negative and positive reviews to get an accurate feel for the boat.

SinglePapa said:   sure good deal. off-season dates have been low this fall: NCL offered $119 in Oct.

Make sure to get at least $25 OBC from cruises'n'more or cruisecompete or whoever else may get a mention below(?)

"Cheap cruises when school is out" ??

Kill me with an example, please

I just came back from this cruise last week. Paid about the same amount. The boat was way overdue for an overhaul. Fixtures and carpets were worn. The food was between that of Applebees and Dennys. Nothing special. The 24 hour pizza bar was the quality of cheap frozen pizza. The rooms were clean and nice, but did not have a small refrigerator like that of Celebrity and there were no blow dryers. The internet on tne boat was about 1mps, just fast enough to check your email and sign off. $29 for 45 mitues of Internet time. The activities on the boat were pretty sparse and of poor quality. I have taken 10 cruises and this is my second Carnival. I only went to join another couple. Carnival is known as the party ship. People were drunk and at the pool the entire cruise. I basically had the entire dining room at 8AM as most stayed up late. If you want to party, or are looking to 'hookup' then go Carnival. If you want to have and remember your good time, Celebrity is a good cruise line.

aarzi said:   kram2583 said:   This seems like a great deal. I've never been on a cruise before but just booked a 4 night Tampa to Cozumel on Royal Carribean with a "deluxe" balcony room for 688 including tax. That's around 86 per person per night. This deal is about 56 per person per night.

Balconies are over-rated, except perhaps in out-at-sea long-duration cross-Atlantic cruises. Or maybe Alaskan cruises. On all other cruises, you want to spend as little time as possible in your cabin (or it's balcony). In fact, if you are prone to motion-sickness, an inside cabin is actually preferable.

Agree about the motion sickness but I love me a balcony! It's nice to have a private breakfast as the day starts, watching the ocean, a relaxing cocktail before dinner, or enjoy a bottle of wine and my beautiful wife while the moon reflects off the waves going by... We don't spend all day in the room/on the balcony, but the time we do spend is very nice.

If the budget allows, it's definitely a nice add-on for us.

Hornrw said:   We did Carnival Imagination and it was by far the best cruise I've done. Norwegian Pearl was okay but the rooms, entertainment and food couldn't compare to Carnival.

I did the Carnival Imagination in August... it was great... did you do the xrail exscursion at cozumel?

Agree, Wife and I did Celebrity Millennium southern Caribbean in Dec 2010 10 days for $799/person balcony.Hit 8 ports I believe. Have been on Carnival, NCL, Celebrity , BIG red boat(wow 1990's). Love balcony and love celebrity.

people, you're proud of your spending; ok for you. We're seeking out deep discounts here, not just any fare off-season

AJR said:   kram2583 said:   This seems like a great deal. I've never been on a cruise before but just booked a 4 night Tampa to Cozumel on Royal Carribean with a "deluxe" balcony room for 688 including tax. That's around 86 per person per night. This deal is about 56 per person per night.

Watch out for hidden videos in ur room

Well, Carnival is pretty crappy. Five out of the 7 nights the entertainment was a stand-up comedy. Pathetic. Will never get on Carnival again.

Took family on carnival last year out of Miami in dec. Worst experience ever for a cruise. Long lines long line long lines. Everyone was rude no entertainment. Shore excursions over priced

To be fair, (about the comments of the food being crappy and the ship being worn) what can you expect at these prices. I'm surprised they are profitable.

any thing similar out of Galveston over Christmas break?

vickh said:   any thing similar out of Galveston over Christmas break?
These prices will not be seen over Christmas break on any line, from any port. Good deals are had when kids are in school and the weather isn't the best.

Had a great trip out of New Orleans on Carnival last year. My suggestion, is both buy on price AND itinerary; we did Belize, Roatan and two stops in Mexico. Excellent, particularly when you DO NOT buy the tours,ect. from the cruise line...

mgolinsweepster said:   Took family on carnival last year out of Miami in dec. Worst experience ever for a cruise. Long lines long line long lines. Everyone was rude no entertainment. Shore excursions over priced

Cruising Fat Wallet Style 101 - Shore Excursions:

Always book shore excursions with a 3rd party vendor unless: (1) It is a unique excursion only offered by the cruise line; or (2) The time and distances involved with the excursion raise a reasonable possibility of being late for the sail away time.

iomongol said:   link ?
bump

Miami is supposedly the busiest/worst port, with the longest lines. At I was at the port of New Orleans, we mentioned something about the "long" line there, and the customs employee laughed and said "You should see Miami".

I've mentioned some of this in the other recent big cruise thread, but if you have kids, other than Disney, CCL has the best kids club (much better than RCCL). But Disney is much more expensive, has even more kids, and everything is "Disney" everywhere you turn, until you're sick of it.
I personally wouldn't go on a cruise without having a balcony. It's well worth it to me.
Concerning 4 night cruises, read my thread here.

FYI, CCL's food used to be awesome, but they made a menu change mid 2010, and I'm not sure it's as good now (?), but I can't personally verify that, other than the fact that I know they added "comfort foods" like fried chicken (yuck), meat loaf, etc to the menu, and I think they no longer have duck. My last CCL cruise was March 2010. You can see menus and lots of photos here.

FYI, I think we used cruise.com (not cruises.com) last time, and got free onboard credit.

cogitovici said:   My wife and I have done 10 or 12 cruises in the last decade from San Diego to Miami to Hong Kong to Le Havre on NCL, Carnival, Cunard, and Holland America, and the best ones have been on Carnival. We started with a cabin with a porthole, then moved to a balcony, then, on the last few, got an aft balcony. Next time, we will probably do one of those aft suites.

She could go do all those cooking and tea things, and I could sit out on the balcony, catch some rays, read a book and knock off a few cold ones then go in for a nap. My wife would complain from time to time that I had spent a thousand bucks and there I am lounging on the balcony watching the waves go by and reading a book curled up in bed before dinner. And I would say "That's what I paid a thousand bucks for." Case closed.

Best times I ever had were in the Mexican ports of call, especially Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Acapulco and Zihuantanejo. Good time in Jamaica and Cayman Island. Sad to say, Mexico is probably out of the question for us for a long time now. Cancun, Cabo, Eastern Coast were OK, but had a blast at the first 4 I listed.

Half the fun is planning what you will do.

In Puerto Vallarta, I decided not to take the tour to that "falls" south of town (can't think of the name) where some river goes over waterfalls with several levels and you can dive off the cliffs. We took a bus from downtown for like a buck, got dropped off for a connecting bus in some little village with a beautiful beach at the bottom of the hill with chickens and dust running and blowing around. ON the way back, the bus had a totally cracked window next to us and raced down the cliffside road blasting Mexican music and bouncing all the way as we sat over the rear axle which seemed to have worn out shock absorbers. My wife thinks we were lucky to make the trip alive, but we will never forget each step of the way. Had the best chile relleno we ever ordered down there too.

Hmmm. Makes me want to cruise again.

P.S. On the HAL ship, we got stuck at a dinner table with two doctors and their wives. One couple disappeared after the first night or two, and the other was vaguely interesting. At lunch one day, we sat with a couple other couples and one old bag asked if we had ever cruised before (like everybody usually asks) and we told them our favorite was Carnival Spirit. She looked thru her reading glasses down her long pointy stuck up nose and said "Aren't they the FUN ships?" Very condescending, but we decided during that trip to NEVER do HAL again. There were other customer service issues that we found totally unacceptable, and our complaints were never resolved or addressed, but sadly they are the same company anyway. That trip kind of soured me on cruising a bit because once your are aboard and find it sucks, you are stuck for the duration, unless you let them drop you off to take advantage of their guarantee, but that too would be a huge hassle. Anyway, I started having fun just irritating some of the other guests that were a pain in the a$$, and enjoyed some of the rest of the cruise. I was really pissed at some of the things they promised and never provided along with the poor response to valid complaints after promising additional follow-up; YMMV.

If you have not cruised Carnival, you owe yourself at least one. Some say there are too many kids, and I hate kids myself, but they never bothered me, except for when all the kids were in the adult pool and nobody would do anything about it until one of them (I presume it was a kid) let a t#rd float to the surface. Geez. Keep the kids in the daycare (I think they call it Camp Carnival)!

I'm sure everybody has good and unforgettable stories to tell about their cruise vacations. We have dozens. Sorry if this sounded more like a trip report than a comment about a cruise line!

BTW, we had a blast in Miami and spent 5 nights there before the cruise, as I had never been. Wonderful, wonderful place to visit!!! Museums, food, beaches, and hotels and day-trips. Flew into FLL from SAN, got to hotel in mid evening, and awoke to waves and beach right outside our balcony. Of course, we could get the same thing at home in SAN, but Miami is warmer and has nice warm ocean too! I would return in a heartbeat. As I recall, Cozumel was not one of our faves though.

Enjoy,
Cogito

GREAT POST!!! THANKS!!

cr3s said:   Well, Carnival is pretty crappy. Five out of the 7 nights the entertainment was a stand-up comedy. Pathetic. Will never get on Carnival again.
Every Carnival cruise I've been on had stand up in the comedy room, and what seemed like broadway quality shows in the large auditorium. It was all really good (and much better than RCCL). But I haven't been on a small ship.

Skipping 4 Messages...
cogitovici said:   

Puerto Vallarta and Acapulco (and Mazatlan too it seems) are not very safe places now. I would stick with the northern Yucatan ports from Costa Maya and north of.
http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2012/05/articles/crime/mexican-viol...
http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4682

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.