• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
There is a new online only coupon booklet starting 10/15 and running until 11/11. This drive is listed near the end of that...I think this one's interesting:
Specs:
--> 4TB storage
--> 7200 RPM
--> USB 3.0
--> Desk drive (FWIW, the spec sheet doesnt mention an AC adapter though images clearly show an AC inlet...maybe USB3.0 can power this drive?)
--> 3GB cloud backup free...upgrade to a paid account for 250GB cloud storage for $59/year which is the cheapest cloud storage solution I can think of off the top of my head (Dropbox is $200/200GB/year, GDrive is $120/200GB/year...most others are priced similar to these two).

Not much in the form of reviews online to go on. I think Touro is a line of products coming from the Hitachi acquisition. For now, it seems like the Hitachi designed drives are going to be branded as Touro.

Link: http://www.costco.com/Touro-Desk-Pro-4-TB-External-Drive-by-HGST...

Spec Sheet: http://www.hgst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/91CE145C27A9AA3B88...

Member Summary

Touro 4TB External Drive (8.24kB)
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Deal is live now.

Decent deal for local backup and storage.

I wouldn't put too much value into storage in the cloud unless 1) your internet service provider will not charge more than an arm or a leg to retrieve 4TB of data for that big restore and 2) you really want your data shared with the rest of the world. Anything and everything that's put on a server in the cloud is not private unless you have encrypted the data before putting it there. There's no guarantee that as an innocent party your data will not be held hostage by law enforcement (MegaUpload saga).

Can you crack the case open and use the bare drive in your desktop? Is it SATA?

soupcxan said:   Can you crack the case open and use the bare drive in your desktop? Is it SATA?Don't know any reason why it can not be done. Unless you need a big drive right away why go this route? Fry's had the 4TB on sale last month for $200. If you wait a bit you'll probably see the bare drive offered again at this price or less. Remember BF is just around the corner and PC sales are in the dumps.

yes its SATA without checking. 4Tb comes only in SATA. Bare drive is $280.
its a great deal

soupcxan said:   Can you crack the case open and use the bare drive in your desktop? Is it SATA?

What would it be otherwise?? SCSI? IDE isn't produced anymore by any manufacturer, let alone in a 4TB drive.

kshell said:   Decent deal for local backup and storage.

I wouldn't put too much value into storage in the cloud unless 1) your internet service provider will not charge more than an arm or a leg to retrieve 4TB of data for that big restore and 2) you really want your data shared with the rest of the world. Anything and everything that's put on a server in the cloud is not private unless you have encrypted the data before putting it there. There's no guarantee that as an innocent party your data will not be held hostage by law enforcement (MegaUpload saga).

The cloud is paid solution beyond 3GB. For 250GB, the site mentions $59/year. Agreed on all the caveats of cloud storage. If you can encrypt the data, anyone accessing or decrypting is in violation of your rights...even law enforcement folks. More info online cloud backup here: http://www.tourocloudbackup.com/

There is some data that I would put on there so that I can access them anywhere (music, pictures, documents etc). But some others, would live locally forever.

This deal puts the price point at 5cents/GB where it used to be before earthquake and tsunami messed up the supply chain for hard drives. The price points of SSDs are also falling rapidly and has hit 75cents/GB recently on Samsung 830 and OCZ Vertex 3. But drive capacities are still somewhat low with the largest SSD available topping out at 512GB.

A drive this capacity has to be SATA internally...however there are some WD external drives that have a custom PCB which has only the USB port available out. I'm guessing that awful design idea hasnt permeated into hitachi engineers' heads yet.

Dang...just bought 2 3TB drives on Amazon!

ramtor said:   yes its SATA without checking. 4Tb comes only in SATA. Bare drive is $280.
its a great deal

couldn't the enclosure contain two 2tb drives in an array?

edit: whoops

choosername said:   ramtor said:   yes its SATA without checking. 4Tb comes only in SATA. Bare drive is $280.
its a great deal

This is possible given the dimensions of the enclosure (Height: 2.36 inches...a typical 3.5" internal drive is 1 inch in height) but I've not seen anything to confirm or deny that. I tried to find a teardown of the older versions of the drive...but cant find any.

Warranty?

choosername said:   

The Datasheet shows the same dimensions for the 2, 3 and 4TB models, so I would guess single 4TB drive inside. I also found out it's HGST is a Western Digital company. Tempting given the huge size

Maphatlal said:   Warranty?
2-year limited warranty fro NA (duration varies by region)

Newegg just put the naked drive on sale for 249.99 AC...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145560&...

For those of you who dont want/have to deal with Costco, B&H has the same deal:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/846330-REG/Hitachi_0S03503...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014