• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
GREENnet TEG-S80G 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch is available for $19.99 at Microcenter (metal casing version). link

Shipping might kill for those without a b&m but $19.99 plus tax ($21.34 total for me) is cheaper than the $22.99 I paid at Newegg a few weeks ago.

Member Summary

TEG-S80G (7.76kB)
Thanks MVP9596
Disclaimer
Staff Summary

Just as a FYI. I had this switch as the main switch in my home (Cat 5e on every room) and I had nothing but trouble with it. When transferring big files (2-4GB) from a computer to my Home Server (or vice versa) the connection would almost always fail before the transfer was complete. I also had mysterious errors every once in a while using the network. I took it off and installed an older Linksys switch and now I'm trouble free for 4 months. Watch out! Might be OK for occasional use but not a robust unit at all...

Tough very tempted to buy, I have also heard about the packet loss issues on Trendnet products. If you do not care about retention or uptime and just need a quick fix, this is good. But not really recommended for the serious geek.

I own this switch and have had zero issues with it. This is the one with the metal chassis and not the plastic one. I bought this on Newegg back 2009 and it has been up and running without issues. I have never had to bounce the switch nor have I seen any packet loss issues that others have stated. I pretty much have every port used. One of which is being used by a ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus. Which is constantly streaming media to the many XBMC/Roku/ATV2/iDevices I have in my house. What I'm trying to get at is, this switch has been running for 3 years and is passing tons of traffic and hasn't seen a hiccup. Just look at the reviews on Newegg. They speak for themselves.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156251

I also have had this switch for a while now on my home GB network and it has been working great (knocks on wood). I have one switch by my desktop, one by my TV and one by older desktop in basement along with my modem/router/Synology/Buffalo Cloudstor. I have streamed movies to my TV from my Synology via two of these switches as well as moving large amounts of files from PC to Synology and they have worked very well.

Am useing 2 in my house and zero problems. One is used with my WiFi setup, and 1 is used with my home entertainment system. Buying another to keep in case I have friends or family needing a switch.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014