• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

MS Surface
Disclaimer
Surface with Windows RT in Microsoft Store Online available for Pre-Order for $499.00

The Price is for a 32GB unit.

Linked!

So, do you guys think this is a good deal?
I am not too enthusiastic about the screen resolution. Its 1366x768

Share your thoughts!

Microsoft Store
See Microsoft Store discounts that earn 4.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Surface with Windows RT
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Interesting that you were cross-shopping the iPad Mini and Microsoft Surface.

Is it because they share qualities or is it... (more)

debtblag (Oct. 24, 2012 @ 8:22a) |

I use my android Acer tablet most of the time
But have to pull out the laptop since it can see the wireless printer that ... (more)

fotoconi (Nov. 28, 2012 @ 11:02p) |

Normally I would agree, but I work in software development for my full time career... and EVERY developer is using the... (more)

ebbikenezer (Nov. 28, 2012 @ 11:26p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

This one is without keyboard. With is $599 i believe

WOW! MS is toying with Apple style pricing. They want $100 for the touch cover and $120 for the type cover. Those must be some special covers! I'll wait for inevitable $4.99 fire sale on surface tablet accessories before considering those.

The iPad has only a single form factor that lacks integrated keyboard and mouse. The iPad does not run Office natively and converting rich Office documents often causes formatting changes, layout errors, and loss of charts and tables. The iPad does not have external ports like USB for printing or sharing files. Using AirPrint requires buying additional specialized printers. The iPad would require $45 for “equivalent” Keynote, Numbers, Pages, and OneNote upgrade through App Store. I feel Surface is priced well when compared against the iPad. Although Kindle Fire and now the iPad mini may be very attractive as a consumption device....but I don't like the 7" screen size...I think iPad's and Surface's screen size is perfect, I am inclined towards Surface because of the additional benefits...

In the specs for the Surface, it list a "HD video out port". Is this the same as a HDMI port for hooking to the HDMI port on the TV?

if i rem correctly the rt would be hdmi out and the pro would be display port out

miqie said:   In the specs for the Surface, it list a "HD video out port". Is this the same as a HDMI port for hooking to the HDMI port on the TV?

You'd need a special adapter (sold separately) for it. Also charging is not via micro USB (proprietary cable again). I don't get why MSFT always goes down this route. They come up with something that sounds initially awesome, then they bog it down with these limitations.

fatwallet21 said:   The iPad has only a single form factor that lacks integrated keyboard and mouse. The iPad does not run Office natively and converting rich Office documents often causes formatting changes, layout errors, and loss of charts and tables. The iPad does not have external ports like USB for printing or sharing files. Using AirPrint requires buying additional specialized printers. The iPad would require $45 for “equivalent” Keynote, Numbers, Pages, and OneNote upgrade through App Store. I feel Surface is priced well when compared against the iPad. Although Kindle Fire and now the iPad mini may be very attractive as a consumption device....but I don't like the 7" screen size...I think iPad's and Surface's screen size is perfect, I am inclined towards Surface because of the additional benefits...

Good Points! I agree with you on all including the fact that i am not a big fan of 7" tablets either.

I think the "Surface" strategy for Microsoft will eventually take off, though it may be a bit slow.
I feel if only they would have shaved off about $100.00 from the asking price, this product would have been the next Xbox for them! Not to mention it would have seriously given Apple at least a few restless nights, if not more!

I think there is some space left for the OEMs to come in and compete. The Surface seems like a wake-up call to the OEMs who haven't been able to compete with Apple on hardware innovation.... I agree a $499 price point that would have included the touch cover (including the colorful ones) would have been a huge selling point. On a different note, it may well be that MS only wants to sell a max 5-10 million of these.

Genius Bar or Answer Desk
Disclaimer
Did Microsoft just steal images from Apple's website ...

When did Microsoft start the "Answer Desk"?? (Sorry if it's been a while ... I never saw it on their site before, though I never really look either ...).

$100 for a Touch Cover, i think it is too much

Meh

fatwallet21 said:   The iPad has only a single form factor that lacks integrated keyboard and mouse. The iPad does not run Office natively and converting rich Office documents often causes formatting changes, layout errors, and loss of charts and tables. The iPad does not have external ports like USB for printing or sharing files. Using AirPrint requires buying additional specialized printers. The iPad would require $45 for “equivalent” Keynote, Numbers, Pages, and OneNote upgrade through App Store. I feel Surface is priced well when compared against the iPad. Although Kindle Fire and now the iPad mini may be very attractive as a consumption device....but I don't like the 7" screen size...I think iPad's and Surface's screen size is perfect, I am inclined towards Surface because of the additional benefits...

1. At release, you CANNOT run ANY MS Office application natively on Surface RT. MS "hopes" to have that ability in future releases but not at launch. The severely crippled launch RT version of MS Office is a new, entirely build that ONLY supports files in the XPS exchange format. I currently have that SAME functionality now with several free Android, IOS, and yes even a WebOS app. Plus MS has not allowed Adobe access to their RT framework so at launch there is NO support for any Adobe PDFs either. For business use this is unacceptable and yet another reason MS product will be DOA at launch.

2. I have never had to use an special adapter to use Airprint from my iPad nor had to use any special software for printing from an Android tablet either. Nearly every consumer and business HP printer I have used in the past 2 years supports IOS Airprint natively.

3. Physical USB ports on the Rt Tablet are limited to certain devices that have actually drivers within RT. Unless MS has been keeping a big secret from its beta testers external USB hard drives are NOT supported under the RT. Basically the useless USB port on the MS Tablet adds no new functionality that is not already available through Bluetooth 4.0 so please explain why the USB on the RT is superior to the easy to use Bluetooth devices readily available for other tablets? Plus just like the iPad there is NO simple connect to any external display on the Surface RT tablet. Just as with Apple connecting to an external video monitor requires a special adapter that Microsoft wants to charge you $45. However unlike this low resolution RT tablet at least the current iPad with Retina display is awesome on its own.

Do you seriously think Surface RT will survive at the current price point of current gen iPads? You can’t be that naïve. For this surface RT tablet to have had any chance in the tablet market MS would have need to release it under $250 and provide a library of thousands of USABLE business apps in the MS Apps store at launch vs the measly 350 that will available at launch next week.

RIP Surface RT. The Zune, PocketPC and a very long string of other MS fiascos is eagerly awaiting your arrival in the MS product graveyard.

Would have got one at $249 + $29-$49 for the keyboard cover. For the $599 min to get the low end + cover you can buy a Quad core, 8Gb, 1Tb, blueray, HD laptop and run real Win 8! Hey Steve the boat...it is over here somewhere, I think you missed it. Again.

this feels like Zune part deux, they need a new Ceo , badly.

I hate to say it, for the pricing that was expected for the RT (~$300) it would have given the ipad a run for it's money. Being that they are pricing it the same as a introductory level iPad (storage size is mostly irrelevant for a entry level device) I expect it not to do well at all. Actually, I expect it to do about the same as the moto xoom did. And the other android tab's at high price points. Why pay $500 when for a little more you can get a laptop or wait for a pro version that's x86 compatible? This was supposed to steal the low end market away from apple but they are pricing it as high or higher... Banking on the Microsoft name is my only guess why.

foglem said:   I hate to say it, for the pricing that was expected for the RT (~$300) it would have given the ipad a run for it's money. Being that they are pricing it the same as a introductory level iPad (storage size is mostly irrelevant for a entry level device) I expect it not to do well at all. Actually, I expect it to do about the same as the moto xoom did. And the other android tab's at high price points. Why pay $500 when for a little more you can get a laptop or wait for a pro version that's x86 compatible? This was supposed to steal the low end market away from apple but they are pricing it as high or higher... Banking on the Microsoft name is my only guess why. I agree, this is a head-scratcher. MS had a HUGE opportunity here by simultaneously offering: 1) a much better product for not a whole lot more compared to google/Amazon and 2) a much cheaper product of similar caliber/quality compared to Apple. This could've been a game-changer; coming this late into the game, I think they need that kind of aggressiveness to get any traction. But instead, they opt to try for themselves the same old tactic that HP/Acer/Samsung/Asus/etc already tried last year and failed with: go head-to-head with Apple. I really hope they succeed so we have more options/competition, but I'm very pessimistic.

I have been waiting for Windows 8 tablet to come out for entertainment and as a test bed if I decided to write some Metro apps. At this price, I finally have to defect to the dark side. Like most tablet users, I will be using this for game, browsing, music, and video. Now, waiting to see if I will go with Ipad 2 (don't need retina or faster processor) or mini to add to my android and WebOS tablets. The way it's priced, I agreed with "notpod" and I plan to get a very decent laptop with black friday around the corner. Good luck Microsoft. I hope you do well. However, if there any fire sale next year, then count me in.

Was so excited about the possibility of buying this.....now who's looking forward to the iPad Mini! 10/23/12!!

I knew that RT (Surface) was different then full Win8, but what I didn't know was that Win8 on a tablet is 90 days away? I read that this morning and hope I misunderstood. I was hoping for a Win7 Laptop dump right in time for Black Friday.

By the way the lack of apps will prevent this from being a success. My RIM Playbook is gathering dust for exactly that reason. Great device, rendered mostly useless by the lack of apps. No one wants an iPad-like or Android-like device that doesn't have every latest app or game. Android finally caught up (mostly) but RT and RIM's OS's? Never.

notpod said:   Would have got one at $249 + $29-$49 for the keyboard cover. For the $599 min to get the low end + cover you can buy a Quad core, 8Gb, 1Tb, blueray, HD laptop and run real Win 8! Hey Steve the boat...it is over here somewhere, I think you missed it. Again.

Except that you can't use a quad-core...laptop as a tablet

dawizard said:   Was so excited about the possibility of buying this.....now who's looking forward to the iPad Mini! 10/23/12!!

Interesting that you were cross-shopping the iPad Mini and Microsoft Surface.

Is it because they share qualities or is it solely price?

I use my android Acer tablet most of the time
But have to pull out the laptop since it can see the wireless printer that I can't seem to load on my tablet
I'm looking at getting either the ipad mini or the surface
Want to use it as my main device
What do u think?

cnIsfg said:   WOW! MS is toying with Apple style pricing. They want $100 for the touch cover and $120 for the type cover. Those must be some special covers! I'll wait for inevitable $4.99 fire sale on surface tablet accessories before considering those.

Normally I would agree, but I work in software development for my full time career... and EVERY developer is using these in lieu of laptops. Every single one of them, and I have to say (for the FIRST time with Microsoft): I'm impressed. You can be so ridiculously productive with one of these.

Nope, my ten year old can't navigate around the Surface as easy as the iPad.

But WOW, I can get so much work done on it, and it's so easy to cruise through getting daily activities done with it....

Anyways, to each their own. Mine is, technically, property of my employer... so I am hoping to get one of these very soon to call my own and customize as I like.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014