• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Microsoft Windows 8 Pro or pro pack pre-order for $69.99 (Plus $30 credit )Amazon

Link

Amazon
Get Up to 6.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

Microsoft Windows 8 Pro
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Thank you -- I did get a somewhat confused reply from Amazon stating that a $30 credit had been applied to another order... (more)

InvaderZim (Jan. 06, 2013 @ 1:49p) |

You only get the $30 credit once during the promotional period regardless of the number of copies you order.

killme2 (Jan. 06, 2013 @ 10:43p) |

Ahhh... that explains it. I didn't see that in the fine print.

InvaderZim (Jan. 07, 2013 @ 10:17a) |

From Amazon:
The promotion is limited to one per customer.

From Microsoft Store:

If your PC is running Windows 8, you can get Windows 8 Pro Pack and enjoy all the features of Windows 8 Pro. If you purchase a new PC with Windows 8 preinstalled and you later upgrade that PC with Windows 8 Pro Pack, you will no longer be able to install apps that are provided exclusively from your PC manufacturer through the Windows Store.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Keep in mind that only the $39.99 Pro Pack Upgrade from Microsoft includes Media Center (and MPEG-2 licensing... as in, DVD playback). These do not, even if your older version of Windows included Media Center.

Apparently, you can also upgrade directly from MS website by paying $39 and you are essentially paying $30 for the DVD version (hard-copy per se)....so be aware of your options.

dawizard said:   Apparently, you can also upgrade directly from MS website by paying $39 and you are essentially paying $30 for the DVD version (hard-copy per se)....so be aware of your options.

FYI.. according to this:

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/07/02/upgrade-to-windows-8-pro-for-39-99.aspx

..you can burn a DVD or USB copy of Windows 8 free even if you download it using the $39.99 option; or purchase a backup DVD for $15+ship.

For those of you who recently bought (or will be buying) a NEW PC, you can get a copy for $14.99 at http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/

Am I seeing things or what.. it says "Upgrade your Windows 7, XP, or Vista PC with Windows 8 Pro". I don't want an upgrade, I want a fresh install. I don't want bloatware windows 7 stuff remaining like the windows.old folder

It should be FREE for anyone who bought or will be buying a new PC. They did that for Vista and Windows 7. Kinda surprised they want $15 this time...

AzianFleeMarket said:   Am I seeing things or what.. it says "Upgrade your Windows 7, XP, or Vista PC with Windows 8 Pro". I don't want an upgrade, I want a fresh install. I don't want bloatware windows 7 stuff remaining like the windows.old folder
Assuming this is the same as the $39.99 one that you can download, there is an option for a fresh install. It is detailed in the instructions on that webpage (see Stoporder's link above).

Where can I buy the start button?

kenbenobi said:   It should be FREE for anyone who bought or will be buying a new PC. They did that for Vista and Windows 7. Kinda surprised they want $15 this time...

Staples offers the FAR upgrade on pc's bought from them
Was anyone else?

In for 1 minus $25 gift card.

So.. it's the upgrade version of the OS, of the full-install?

A few people have asked this question on Amazon, and both answers were given - it's only an upgrade, and it's the full version. Not helpful.

edit: the description says you can upgade from the preview version.. install preview version, install final with license?

Please be aware that many hardware are not supported by Win 8 yet. Just as an example, Intel has said that they are not going to make drivers for Intel-HD graphics on my 2 years old 1st-gen i7 or my HD-4500 on my another laptop Latitude 13! At least for now, only 2nd and 3rd gen i's are going to have fully funtional drivers! I installed the preview version on my Latitude 13 just to learn that the screen resolution can be no longer changed.

They want us to buy a new cpu to be able to use an upgraded OS?

asuka said:   Keep in mind that only the $39.99 Pro Pack Upgrade from Microsoft includes Media Center (and MPEG-2 licensing... as in, DVD playback). These do not, even if your older version of Windows included Media Center.

Just to be clear, the OP lists two products for $69.99 with a $30 Amazon promo credit, for a net cost
of $39.99.

The first is Microsoft Windows 8 Pro Pack:

Product Features
Upgrade your Windows 8 device to Windows 8 Pro with Pro Pack
Box Included 1 upgrade license code
Customize your Start screen with Live Tiles
Stay safer with Windows Defender
Encrypt your data with Bitlocker

The second is Microsoft Windows 8 Pro:

Product Features
Upgrade your Windows 7, XP, or Vista PC with Windows 8 Pro
Start up quickly
Customize your Start screen with Live Tiles
Stay safer with Windows Defender
Encrypt your data with Bitlocker

Both of these will result in Win 8 Pro (without a Start Button) so I am confused by your comment.

i'm so confused. just going to stick with window 7

AzianFleeMarket said:   Am I seeing things or what.. it says "Upgrade your Windows 7, XP, or Vista PC with Windows 8 Pro". I don't want an upgrade, I want a fresh install. I don't want bloatware windows 7 stuff remaining like the windows.old folder

A guy on slkdeals says he called the MS Store (1-877-MY-MS-STORE) and was told the Win 8 Pro is the full license so you don't have to upgrade. This is second hand information, so you might want to check for yourself

From what I've read, you can do a fresh install.

guptnav said:   Where can I buy the start button?

This is where I got mine for $5. Link

elecnight said:   Please be aware that many hardware are not supported by Win 8 yet. Just as an example, Intel has said that they are not going to make drivers for Intel-HD graphics on my 2 years old 1st-gen i7 or my HD-4500 on my another laptop Latitude 13! At least for now, only 2nd and 3rd gen i's are going to have fully funtional drivers! I installed the preview version on my Latitude 13 just to learn that the screen resolution can be no longer changed.

They want us to buy a new cpu to be able to use an upgraded OS?

All my hardware is working in Windows 8 Pro. No issues with hardware and software except for Norton Ghost 15.

chilam131 said:   For those of you who recently bought (or will be buying) a NEW PC, you can get a copy for $14.99 at http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/

Just signed up for my $14.99 upgrade on a 1 year old laptop.

I ran a couple versions of Windows 8 for about 5 months earlier in the year. Heres my take:

The tablet user interface is just plain awful for a desktop or laptop computer, and unless there have been significant improvements in the final version (not expected), it will not be a welcome change for most users. For most people an operating system's primary task is as a launch pad for other programs. It shouldn't get in the way of getting things done - it should instead fade into the background and allow the user to work (or play.) After 5 months of regular use the Windows 8 user interface still got in the way of my computer use repeatedly and every single day. I finally gave up on it when it became clear that MS wasn't going to fix the user interface and was instead going to try to force a tablet interface on everyone no matter what kind of computer was being used. I live near Microsoft and many of my neighbors (who work for Microsoft) privately confide that they think Windows 8 is going to be a complete disaster for the company.

That said, if Microsoft hasn't completely blocked the option of adding a Start Menu with a 3rd party utility, the rest of Windows 8 work very, very well. It's much faster than Windows 7 and even faster than Windows XP. It starts up very quickly and is very stable. Id still be running it if it hadn't become clear that MS was going to try to force a tablet interface on their desktop users to make it easier for them to sell Microsoft tablets.

nwrain said:   I ran a couple versions of Windows 8 for about 5 months earlier in the year. Heres my take:

The tablet user interface is just plain awful for a desktop or laptop computer, and unless there have been significant improvements in the final version (not expected), it will not be a welcome change for most users. For most people an operating system's primary task is as a launch pad for other programs. It shouldn't get in the way of getting things done - it should instead fade into the background and allow the user to work (or play.) After 5 months of regular use the Windows 8 user interface still got in the way of my computer use repeatedly and every single day. I finally gave up on it when it became clear that MS wasn't going to fix the user interface and was instead going to try to force a tablet interface on everyone no matter what kind of computer was being used. I live near Microsoft and many of my neighbors (who work for Microsoft) privately confide that they think Windows 8 is going to be a complete disaster for the company.

That said, if Microsoft hasn't completely blocked the option of adding a Start Menu with a 3rd party utility, the rest of Windows 8 work very, very well. It's much faster than Windows 7 and even faster than Windows XP. It starts up very quickly and is very stable. Id still be running it if it hadn't become clear that MS was going to try to force a tablet interface on their desktop users to make it easier for them to sell Microsoft tablets.

I've been using Windows 8 Pro for a month now, every day. I have it installed on my Samsung Series 7 Slate and my Dell XPS 8500 PC. Here's my take in regards to yours so that everyone else can make an informed decision about upgrading:

1) The tablet user interface is not awful, it's just not for a desktop PC. It is great and a welcome change. I have an iPad 3 and an Android tablet running the latest Jelly Bean OS. This OS is not about icons like iOS or Android, it's about tiles which at first I wasn't sure about but now like a lot. It is slick, fast and smooth. I'll take it over the boring tablet icons of Apple and Google.

2) Windows 8 in desktop mode looks and feels just like Windows 7. That's how I use it on my desktop. I don't use the tablet interface nor does the tablet interface get in the way.

3) Windows 8 does not force you to use the tablet interface, completely wrong! You choose the interface, tablet mode or desktop mode! I use tablet mode on my tablet only when using it as a tablet. When my tablet is docked to my monitor and keyboard/mouse, I switch to desktop mode. Really easy. You are not forced into anything. On my Dell XPS PC I have it boot up to desktop mode and use it exclusively in desktop mode. Win 8 does not force me to use the tablet interface. When you launch certain programs like a movie for example, the default setting is to launch their tablet app but that's an easy fix, you just choose the desktop program for it to run.

4) I bought a $5 app called Start8 to bring back the Start button. It's better than the Win7 Start button because of customization. It allows me to choose which mode (tablet or desktop) to boot my computer.

Hopefully this helps everyone in their decision to upgrade. I've been looking for this type of OS ever since I got my PC slate. It's overdue and the next evolution for Windows or any other operating system. Everyone is using tablets or wants one. Sales of desktops are declining. The laptop is evolving into a hybrid tablet/laptop. This OS allows everyone to choose their preferred interface (tablet or desktop) without buying two operating systems.

Forget purchasing Windows 8 separately ... there's no point in my personal opinion if you don't have the touch screen capability for which Windows 8 is designed. I'm just going to upgrade my laptop once Windows 8 has been in the market for a while.

rogercy said:   Everyone is using tablets or wants one.

No, not everyone Until a tablet can give me a keyboard, DVD drive, and 750GB HDD, I have no use for it. My laptop has all of that and much more. I've never understood the appeal of a tablet.

epdpatrolman said:   rogercy said:   Everyone is using tablets or wants one.

No, not everyone Until a tablet can give me a keyboard, DVD drive, and 750GB HDD, I have no use for it. My laptop has all of that and much more. I've never understood the appeal of a tablet.

Grandpa, is that you?

guptnav said:   Where can I buy the start button?

Start button is free!
http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

When is Windows 8 going to be released?

EDIT: I found the answer. It looks like it is coming out October 26, 2012 (Friday).

kenmoreland said:   asuka said:   Keep in mind that only the $39.99 Pro Pack Upgrade from Microsoft includes Media Center (and MPEG-2 licensing... as in, DVD playback). These do not, even if your older version of Windows included Media Center.

Just to be clear, the OP lists two products for $69.99 with a $30 Amazon promo credit, for a net cost
of $39.99.

Anybody knows the difference between them?

hasu said:   kenmoreland said:   asuka said:   

Anybody knows the difference between them?

Pro Pack upgrades a Windows 8 device. Pro updates XP, Vista & Win7.

The question I have is: What's a Windows 8 DEVICE? Is it a device running a Win8 installation lower that Pro -- say Win8 Home or Premium or whatever? Or does it also include a device running a Win8 Beta version? I put the question to Amazon in a chat session and was told it would update a Beta version. The answer was yes but I'm still leery. I'm tempted to order the Pro Pack and if the Amazon rep was wrong, ask for a refund based on my saved record of the chat session.

===============================
Chat session edited for brevity:

Me:Can I really upgrade my Win8 Beta installation to windows8 pro pack using the The Windows Pro Pack as indicated on you web page?

Sankar: Let me check that for you. Yes, You can upgrade your Windows 8 device to Windows 8 Pro with this Pro Pack.

Me:Exactly what is considered a "Windows 8 device"? Does a computer running a beta version comply?

Sankar:Yes, You should be able to upgrade the beta version using this Pro Pack.

Me:Thanks! Bye

RE:
I've never understood the appeal of a tablet.

Some has to be status or bragging rights.

yesidonoitall said:   RE:

Well, I think tablet is more of an entertainment device. People who uses laptop to watch movies or play silly games should be happy with a tablet. I like it to read news or browse web with a specific simple tasks (such as check woot like offers at night before go to bed!!) etc. Kids love to play with it while traveling because of its touch nature and longer battery life. I heard shoppers talking in Bestbuy that they would rather buy a tablet than a new laptop. It will take a while to realizing that it cannot replace a laptop for writing a document and such things. For any serious (or half serious) application tablet cannot replace laptops. But that does not mean that you cannot use it for business purposes - which depends entirely on what kind of application you want to run. Most applications are web-based now a days - so all you need is sufficient screen size to hold your GUI.

asuka said:   Keep in mind that only the $39.99 Pro Pack Upgrade from Microsoft includes Media Center (and MPEG-2 licensing... as in, DVD playback). These do not, even if your older version of Windows included Media Center. Any links to confirm that these do not support media center?

yesidonoitall said:   RE:

Hardly status or bragging right in this day and age. I am a committed desktop user (love my mechanical keyboard, multi-monitors, etc) but tablets are great for media consumption. I can browse the web from bed or while having my coffee in a way that is much better than the same on a laptop. I can read my Economist magazine digital edition when I am not near my paper copy and so on. It is just a different tool for me to use. Personally it doesn't substitute for a desktop or laptop for me but it is a nice compliment. And yes I did not understand the tablet hype until I got and started using one.

FWIW... Buying the DVD makes sense if you can't [or don't want to] download the ISO from Microsoft, e.g. those on dial-up or with download caps. If you want to do a UEFI install to a GPT formatted disk, you'll likely have to go the ISO route anyway & install from a USB stick -- some boards see a DVD & automagically go into MBR mode. A packaged disc is also less likely to be up to date than a download -- MS has already released a fairly large update for win8.

Far as tablets go, IMO they're a lot like PCs/laptops -- they tend to have as much power as you're willing to pay for. You can pay $20 - $75 or so & get a large screen MP3 player that reads some ebooks, or at the other extreme you can pay lots more & get an iPad or one of the win8 x86 tablets... an i3 or i5 in a tablet should have roughly the same horsepower as the same i3 or i5 in a laptop or PC. You're not going to fit 1 or more top-end graphics cards in either a tablet or a laptop, so you won't be able to get the same fps in a demanding game, but add a Bluetooth keyboard & optionally a Bluetooth mouse & a tablet will run office apps just as well as a similarly powered laptop or PC. Being portable does have practical costs -- you can't physically fit lots of cheap storage, just like you can't fit higher end graphics, or easily lug around something with a 24" screen, & that big heatsink & all those fans your PC uses -- not going to happen, so you'll only see lower clocked, lower end CPUs.

You shouldn't buy something using an ARM chip & expect to run the Windows apps you already own, though emulators are coming. You shouldn't expect to run the Android OS [like many tablets/cell phones] & have access to the same sort of apps you run on your PC/laptop -- the same with win8 RT [v.s x86] tablets. And while smart phones are certainly getting more powerful all the time, you shouldn't expect to run essentially a cell pone chipset in a tablet, which is common, & have it be as powerful as a PC/laptop. Tablets may be the wave of the future, or like netbooks sort of fade away -- that's why manufacturers tend to up-size smart phones to minimize their risks. Touchscreens, like attached mini keypads work when you're holding the device in one hand -- practically speaking they have little or no other purpose besides keeping whatever device small. Microsoft pushes win8's touchscreen interface to build perceived demand for their app store -- no one would port their iPad &/or Android app to an app store with few customers -- but beneath that interface is the desktop you've always run.

secstate said:   I can browse the web from bed or while having my coffee in a way that is much better than the same on a laptop.

Assuming the plumbing doesn't block your signal, there's ummm, other places they're handy too.

And while the built-in camera may often not be up to the levels of those in the best smart phones, they do work well enough, & you have the screen real estate to actually do something with your shots. Not every image IMHO warrants the full Photoshop workout, but being able to easily do the quick stuff & easily upload is nice.

Note that you pay tax on $69.99 if you buy from Amazon vs tax on $39 if you download from Microsoft. For California, that's a difference of a little under $3. Penny pinching I know...

it's now $159.99 at Amazon

does anyone know the link to download from Microsoft?

paulmkt said:   it's now $159.99 at Amazon
?

Skipping 52 Messages...
Ahhh... that explains it. I didn't see that in the fine print.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014