• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I know this promo has been around for a while lately, but just thought I should inform the group that:

SIRIUS Satellite Radio renewal is still being offered - 5 months for $25.00 plus tax.
Please note: This is my experience with Sirius ONLY. Not sure about XM people. I was also just coming to the end of a previous 5/$25 deal as well when I called.

SIRIUS 5 MONTHS FOR $25

1. Call 888-635-5142
2. Follow prompts to CANCEL
3. Was immediately serviced by "Mohammed" who walked me through the steps of cancelling.
4. Keep saying, "no" and with each subsequent step, SIRIUS will sweeten the pot until finally...
5. Offered -- 5 MONTHS FOR $25 -or- TWO FREE MONTHS. Mine came to about $27.00

POSSIBLE RECEIVER UPGRADE:

When asked why I was cancelling, I told them my old XACT receiver was broken (which it is). They offered a brand-new replacement for $19.99 as well as free activation / transfer and free shipping. Not sure of the model, but it was a portable unit.

Ba-ba-booey and good luck!

Member Summary

Siriusly
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
It sounds like cancelling service has gotten much easier. I waited an hour and went through 5 people when I called to c... (more)

jsfatw (Jan. 25, 2013 @ 9:47p) |

Back in september/october I agreed to renew at regular price. I tried to haggle a bit with the lady who called me, but w... (more)

tigi (Feb. 22, 2013 @ 10:09a) |

I recently received a mailer with reminder that my subscription will renew in Mid-May. When I last renewed in November I... (more)

Flirple (Apr. 11, 2013 @ 11:33a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I just renewed my ending 3mo trial of XM for 5 months for ~$28 only to get a letter in mail the next day for the $24.99 deal. It should work for either Sirius or XM. The catch is to do it via check or temp credit card. They are trying to get you to put a CC on file for auto-renew at full rate. In face I got my first 'bill' 1 month into my 5 month trial. Pretty Sad when I don't expire until March of 2013 and I have a bill in hand. I'll be sitting on it until March and asking for another 5 months for $25 and then complaining about the $28 I paid last time. It may also be worth noting (big YMMV warning) a friend has let his run out a couple years in a row and then gets another year for ~$6/mo when they call him to remind him it's expiring.

just wondering how to make it work in the car radio if I subscribe?

There was another thread for 6 months free or something...

I signed up for the six months free. Or at least I thought I did. It stopped working after 1 week.

Just did that, called to cancel yesterday...couldn't get the 6months for 25 but was offered the 5 months for 20 so took that. And gave them a CC that expires in 2 months.

Nia

I re-subscribed to XM at the $25 for 6-months on Oct 16. The cancellation department provided this rate.

Not sure if they still do this, but in the past I had given them a CC that expired during the term of my subscription. They went to run the CC for new charges and of course it didn't go through. After a while they even sent the account to collections, which is funny because they didn't have my social security number, or even my real name so it probably couldn't have impacted my credit score.

But lesson learned: I now insist on not being on their auto-renewal. They balk at first and pretend that they cannot do this, but be persistent and you will get your way.

My 5 month promo sub to Sirius Premier ends tomorrow in my truck. I just called above # to cancel and was asked if I was canceling due to the renewal cost and if I liked the service. I said yes to both, and then was offered another 5 months for a total of $30.87. For what it is worth I spoke to an american guy. I'll check my CC statement and Sirius account online to make sure I was charged correctly. Now lets hope the stock price continues to rise. Long SIRI!

My call went:

- Offered 1 year - said no
- Offered 6 months - said no
- Offered 5 months for $25 - $27 w/ taxes.

They were unable to apply it, so she did some tricks by converting me to a month to month temporarily, then charging my card a 2nd time for the balance. Evidently the system doesn't allow you to direct renew this plan (at least for me, I think I have XM).

This is a retentions department offer and it works for both Sirius and XM subscribers (though XM may use another phone number - I've used this one and it works, I think it's direct to the XM retentions department - 1-866-434-7429). The deal is offered to keep customers from canceling, and to keep the number of subscribers high. The regular salespeople do not offer this cheapie rate (or acknowledge that it exists), only the retentions people who actually cancel accounts do. Generally they need to hear some version about how you like the service but that you have to cancel because it's too expensive for you to keep. Then they are permitted to start offering you cheaper deals. Yes you may have to say no to a few other offers before you get down to the cheapest deal. The cheapest deal varies a little - it's either 5 months for $20 or $25 or 6 months for $25 or $30 (plus copyright fees of $2 or $3). But this deal is always available in some form. Don't believe it if they tell you that it's ending, or that you don't qualify for another $20 or $25 deal because you've already had one. I've been getting these deals for about 7 years now, and they're not likely ending these deals anytime soon. You can also get them to talk about these deals by saying your friend/neighbor/relative just got 6 months for $25 (or whatever), and asking if you can get it too. They're permitted to talk about the deals if you bring it up to them and let them know they exist, but they're not able to bring them up to you without you either indicating you know about them, or indicating that you need to cancel because the cost is too high - one or the other.

You have to keep track of when the deal ends and call them to start another cheapie deal or to cancel, or else you will be charged full rate for a renewal. But that's a small hassle for getting this low rate IMO. If you miss the date and see a charge on your card, call them and they'll usually credit back the charge and give you another 5 or 6 month cheapie deal. Just be reasonably nice when you call about it (they're human and will be more likely to want to help you out if you're not angry and abusive to them). If you ask them to set your account up so you can view it online, then you can look up when your current deal expires and that helps to keep track of it more easily. Just don't renew your subscription online, because those prices are their (very high) normal prices, and you will always do better by calling in.

Edit: If you get a person on the phone who for some reason just won't offer you these deals, tell them to hold off canceling your account because you want to think about it a little more and will call back. Then hang up and call back immediately and you will pretty much always get a different person, and see if that person will offer the cheapie 5 or 6 month deal to you.

flyingtrees said:   Not sure if they still do this, but in the past I had given them a CC that expired during the term of my subscription. They went to run the CC for new charges and of course it didn't go through. After a while they even sent the account to collections, which is funny because they didn't have my social security number, or even my real name so it probably couldn't have impacted my credit score.

But lesson learned: I now insist on not being on their auto-renewal. They balk at first and pretend that they cannot do this, but be persistent and you will get your way.

They still do this. Be careful when using an expiring or temp credit card. Best bet is to set some sort of reminder for yourself so you call and repeat the rate.

so my subscription ran out and I called to cancel, they made 5-6 reductions before offering 5 months for $27. Since they sent an invoice by mail, I told them I'd write a check so no CC would be on file.

This worked as stated by OP.

SIRIUS 5 MONTHS FOR $25

1. Call 888-635-5142
3. Was immediately serviced by "Pedna" who walked me through the steps of cancelling.
4. Was offered 6 month w/ 6 months free for $100 incl taxes, then 3 months w/ 3 months free for $50....
4. Keep saying, "no" and with each subsequent step, SIRIUS will sweeten the pot until finally...
5. Offered -- 5 MONTHS FOR $25. Mine came to about $29.29 with taxes.

Thanks!!

I just called and after saying no to the first offer was offered to renew my 5 mos/$25 plan. Three in a row for me so far!

Subscription expires tomorrow so I thought I'd give them a call... went thru the phone tree to the cancellation dept. Told them I really didn't want it anymore, since I seldom use it. Which is true... only have it in my truck and I don't drive it much. So I told her if I was going to renew it had to be a pretty attractive, deal or I didn't want it. They wouldn't budge from the 5/$25. Told them I wanted a yearly deal since its such a hassle to renew all the time. I think they count on this... So I renewed for $94 (all inclusive) for one year.

The "auto renew" seems to be a sticking point with some. You get a 5/$25 then they auto renew you at the quarterly rate, which is much higher. But she said they send and invoice and you have two weeks to pay or cancel. So there isn't a huge risk in getting slammed to a quarterly rate change, as long as you don't ignore the invoice.

So I'm back on line. the only other thing I was interested in doing, just out of curiosity, was to actually cancel and see how long it takes for them to actually shut it off.

I had called several weeks ago to see about getting any of the "deals" and was basically just told what day my cancellation would take effect.

My trial subscription runs out this weekend, and I received another of the letters from Sirius today saying I'd get a free year of internet radio if I signed up - no thanks.

But it made me decide to call up and try the number listed in this post, and without hardly batting an eye I was offered the 6 month and the 1 year deals (I said I like the radio but I'm only in the car one day a week, etc).

I asked to be billed (which cost $2 more) and she said I was all set.

Thanks!

gooddealie said:   This is a retentions department offer and it works for both Sirius and XM subscribers (though XM may use another phone number - I've used this one and it works, I think it's direct to the XM retentions department - 1-866-434-7429). The deal is offered to keep customers from canceling, and to keep the number of subscribers high. The regular salespeople do not offer this cheapie rate (or acknowledge that it exists), only the retentions people who actually cancel accounts do. Generally they need to hear some version about how you like the service but that you have to cancel because it's too expensive for you to keep. Then they are permitted to start offering you cheaper deals. Yes you may have to say no to a few other offers before you get down to the cheapest deal. The cheapest deal varies a little - it's either 5 months for $20 or $25 or 6 months for $25 or $30 (plus copyright fees of $2 or $3). But this deal is always available in some form. Don't believe it if they tell you that it's ending, or that you don't qualify for another $20 or $25 deal because you've already had one. I've been getting these deals for about 7 years now, and they're not likely ending these deals anytime soon. You can also get them to talk about these deals by saying your friend/neighbor/relative just got 6 months for $25 (or whatever), and asking if you can get it too. They're permitted to talk about the deals if you bring it up to them and let them know they exist, but they're not able to bring them up to you without you either indicating you know about them, or indicating that you need to cancel because the cost is too high - one or the other.

You have to keep track of when the deal ends and call them to start another cheapie deal or to cancel, or else you will be charged full rate for a renewal. But that's a small hassle for getting this low rate IMO. If you miss the date and see a charge on your card, call them and they'll usually credit back the charge and give you another 5 or 6 month cheapie deal. Just be reasonably nice when you call about it (they're human and will be more likely to want to help you out if you're not angry and abusive to them). If you ask them to set your account up so you can view it online, then you can look up when your current deal expires and that helps to keep track of it more easily. Just don't renew your subscription online, because those prices are their (very high) normal prices, and you will always do better by calling in.

Edit: If you get a person on the phone who for some reason just won't offer you these deals, tell them to hold off canceling your account because you want to think about it a little more and will call back. Then hang up and call back immediately and you will pretty much always get a different person, and see if that person will offer the cheapie 5 or 6 month deal to you.

Just got of the phone with the retention department. I got offered the $94 for 12 months (all inclusive) fairly quickly, but they would not budge on the price for the internet radio. They ended up giving me a free 2 month period while I re-evaluate the service. Anyone have any luck getting a discount on the internet radio piece since I use that as much as I use the actual radio?

Same here for the $94 but didn't even ask about the internet option.

I just called and renewed for the $25/ 5 months. Thanks!

Just got the XM renewal deal for $86 for one year plus taxes and fees. Figured it made sense to lock in a year now since the company is in the middle of being acquired by Liberty Media. Who knows how their price structure might change after that happens.

Called in to cancel, went through prompts, offered $104 for a year by Ian which I declined
... and he canceled my radio. First time in several years of getting offers.
No big deal since I have been ready to leave for a while. Maybe I'll reactivate or not. New territory for me.

Couldn't have been easier, I've been doing this for the past several years, don't think I've ever paid full price. If I had to pay $15+/month all in, I wouldn't keep Sirius, but for $5/month, it's worth it to me. Only have 1 radio in my car, and I do use the online streaming a lot.

SIRIUS 5 MONTHS FOR $25

1. Call 888-635-5142
3. Got Kathy, who sounded like she was state side (called at 1130 Central) 10min hold
4. Said I would like to renew for the same price, or i would have to cancel:
4a. Offered 1yr for like $95 declined
4b. Countered with 6 months for about $45 declined
4c. Offered to renew my past promo, 5 months for $25. ACCEPTED
5. June 3rd is my renew date...Google Calendar reminder set up!

Same results. The rep offered me 1 year at the 6 month price, which I declined. The rep then offered me 6 months for the 3 month price, which I still declined, since it still comes out to be the same per month as the first offer. Finally, the rep offered 5 months for $25, which I accepted.

Reminder: You can request invoice billing, so they don't just automatically charge your credit card on the renewal date.

I called Call 888-635-5142.
I Followed prompts to CANCEL.
About 8 minutes on hold.
I called to cancel and was immediately offered 108 for a year after tax with internet streaming.

I did the same thing as OP a few days ago; I just told them that I am getting a new company vehicle that does not come with SiriusXM as an option. I was sold the XM Onyx receiver w/ car Kit for 19.99 (plus $9.25 Ship) and subscription of 5 mos for $29 (fees incl.)

I always wanted to listen to XM in the garage (without the truck), so it was a good deal for me.

$90.50 for another year including free online streaming for the full year via retentions. While $25/5 months is better, this is less hassle and the free online makes it worth it to me....

I have 2 radios. Wonder what that call will be like.

I have 2 radios. Wonder what that call will be like.

I just called to cancel; was first offered 6 months for $43.47 + tax. Declined and was then offered 5 months for $25 + tax, so it's still live. Good thing for them, because I would have cancelled for anything more than $5 a month.

You may need to tell them (as I did) that you just don't see the value in paying more than the $5 a month you paid during the promo period. Also note that it is auto-renewing, so set a reminder for a few days before your 5 months are up to call and repeat the process.

this is such a PITA to have to go through every time.

Cancel and wait for the *6 months* for $25 offer. Mine came pretty quickly after I dropped it on one radio.

i have a sirius acct for my son and an xm for me. yes, all one company, but the sirius people are harder to deal with. my normal call time to xm could not be more than 7 or 8 minutes. spent 32 minutes on the phone over the sirius account, rudiculous.

Re-newed my discount sub today. (XM) 10 minutes on hold, and after saying I wish to cancel due to the renewal being too expensive, was countered by continuation of same deal of 5 months for $25 (+ their royalty fees). Even said to call back just before it renews in June to check for further promotional deals.

It sounds like cancelling service has gotten much easier. I waited an hour and went through 5 people when I called to cancel a year or two ago. I swore I would never use their service again just on principle. Have they really stopped that kind of predatory behavior?

Back in september/october I agreed to renew at regular price. I tried to haggle a bit with the lady who called me, but went nowhere with her. Wanted the service so agreed to renew at regular price with a stipulation that the service would not be automatically renewed. The lady assured me, that this a one time payment and that the service would not renew automatically.

Come februrary I got a letter from them saying that my cc was rejected when they were trying to renew my service(single use numbers FTW!). It pissed me off, because that is not what I was promised.

I waited for them to call me, and eventually they did (yesterday). The first lady I spoke with told me I do not qualify for $25/5m because I had this promo in the past, she transferred me to the cancellation department.
The lady from the cancellation dept got me $25/5m without much hassle (maybe because I was very agitated that they tried to charge my cc, contrary to the promise given), I just had to hear all the other offers first as others have mentioned.

Again, I asked her not to auto renew my service but she told me that is not possible, the only thing she could do is not to put my cc on file and switch me to "invoice billing".

I recently received a mailer with reminder that my subscription will renew in Mid-May. When I last renewed in November I was quickly offered $25 for 6 months (plus $2 royalty), which is a price I'm happy with.

I just called to find out what renewal rate they could offer this time. It didn't pay to be pro-active. All they offered was $199 for 1 year of "All Access" -- ouch! I offered to renew at my current rate, but the rep refused and advised calling closer to my renewal date to see if there are any other offers other $199/yr.

I don't like jumping through hoops at the last minute and having to threaten to cancel every 6 months to get a decent rate. I wish they'd be realistic and keep it at $4 or $5 /mo. I like XM, but I will cancel if they want much more than this. I've got a new Virgin Mobile smart phone and will see how Pandora works out via my car's auxiliary jack.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014