Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Nokia Lumia 900 4G LTE 16GB
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

These will be a lot cheaper than this is a week or two.

woog3150 said:   These will be a lot cheaper than this is a week or two.

Why?

The 800 and 900's are not upgradeable to Windows 8. Windows 8 Phones (all future Windows apps WILL be 8) come out in November.

Thanks, I understand. I've been looking at this phone for a while but will have to do more research now.

Damn, if this was only T-Mobile 3G/4G capable, I'd be all over this. This is a great phone.

I love my 900 and hate that it's not upgradeable but to Win8 but I would still recommend this phone to anyone. Like the person said above wait a week or two if you can you will find these a lot cheaper.

I've this phone n cant wait to upgrade to iphone 5....this phone don't have preset music equalizer like other basic phones...takes a while to goto some app unless u have shortcut for it...no estimate on upgrade to win phone 7.8...no folder organizing of apps like android\ios

HardwareLust said:   Damn, if this was only T-Mobile 3G/4G capable, I'd be all over this. This is a great phone. With tmobile refarming the 1900mhz for HSPA+ (supposedly completed by the end of the year, although already in place in many major markets) I think you'd be able to get at least 3G speed on this... I think

But yeah, I'm hoping these will see a significant drop in the coming weeks I'll definitely wait until after the WP8 launch. Would prefer the Lumia800 for the size, but there aren't very many of those out there.

I agree that a better price would be worth a short wait. But is it the new OS you want or the new hardware? I see many people complaining that this phone won't be updated to Windows 8 Phone. I always want to ask, what features do you need in Windows 8 that aren't part of the Windows 7.8 update being prepared for this phone?

QuadesFather said:   I agree that a better price would be worth a short wait. But is it the new OS you want or the new hardware? I see many people complaining that this phone won't be updated to Windows 8 Phone. I always want to ask, what features do you need in Windows 8 that aren't part of the Windows 7.8 update being prepared for this phone?

The Hardware is great not much I would change on that side. the phone is very responsive and I have no problem with the screen and both of those are upgraded in the new lumia. The thing is apps will be built for Win 8 and are not necessarilly backward compatible. While they claim most apps will work with 7.8 going forward if they release 8.1 or 8.2 or whatever they call the future releases will 7.8 users be left behind. I think that's what worries most people.

That sounds reasonable. I guess I hadn't considered future app compatibility as much. Most of what I use my phone for is built into the OS. I have an iPad for my App fix But I keep looking at my HTC Arrive and wishing Sprint would pick up any new Windows phone. I would settle for the "old" 900 in a heartbeat! But I would give an arm and a leg for the 920 with that awesome inductive charging. That is the feature I think is worth waiting for on a phone. I miss my Palm Pre so much...

QuadesFather said:   I agree that a better price would be worth a short wait. But is it the new OS you want or the new hardware? I see many people complaining that this phone won't be updated to Windows 8 Phone. I always want to ask, what features do you need in Windows 8 that aren't part of the Windows 7.8 update being prepared for this phone?

You won't be seeing new apps developed for this OS nor will you see much in the way of updates.

Yuyak said:   HardwareLust said:   Damn, if this was only T-Mobile 3G/4G capable, I'd be all over this. This is a great phone. With tmobile refarming the 1900mhz for HSPA+ (supposedly completed by the end of the year, although already in place in many major markets) I think you'd be able to get at least 3G speed on this... I think

But yeah, I'm hoping these will see a significant drop in the coming weeks I'll definitely wait until after the WP8 launch. Would prefer the Lumia800 for the size, but there aren't very many of those out there.

With the refarming 3G and HSPA+ are both available. I have read several different things about the timetable
for refarming, but I don't think ot will be completed by the end of this year. From T-Mobile:

As part of the company’s network modernization effort, T-Mobile also plans to launch 4G HSPA+ service in the 1900 MHz band in a large number of markets by the end of the year.

There is a map of 3G/HSPA+ sightings here. A month ago there was only one sighting
in the greater Seattle area (At Century Link Field.) now there are more than 20.

I already have an AT&T branded Lumia 900 that is unlocked and on T-Mobile. The release of Windows Phone 8 will *supposedly* be met with a release of Windows Phone 7.8 which will include many of the same visual features of Windows Phone 8 but not some of the features that rely upon hardware. Nokia has also promised to introduce an update that provides a lot of goodies too.

Features in Windows Phone 8 that may make me upgrade are:

* Support for SD cards and additional storage
* Digital wallet which relies upon secure chip built in to the phone that is only available on WP 8 phones
* Native code execution which means that there will be certain games that will *only* play on WP 8 devices and perhaps finally flash player.
* NFC technology that allows you to share data and information with other suitable devices.
* Nokia maps built-in rather than Bing maps (although I actually like the Bing version)
* Support for higher resolution screens.
* Camera plug-ins like instagram

Most importantly, the Windows Phone 8 devices will receive the updates to the operating system as it goes forward.

TheBigCheese said:   QuadesFather said:   I agree that a better price would be worth a short wait. But is it the new OS you want or the new hardware? I see many people complaining that this phone won't be updated to Windows 8 Phone. I always want to ask, what features do you need in Windows 8 that aren't part of the Windows 7.8 update being prepared for this phone?

You won't be seeing new apps developed for this OS nor will you see much in the way of updates.

Not true. There are still going to be many new apps that target the 7.x and 8.x devices because the core is the same. There will be some native apps and apps that rely upon some of the newer hardware features that will only be available on the 8.x devices, but given the current ecosystem I suspect that these types of apps will be a minority for some time yet.

QuadesFather said:   That sounds reasonable. I guess I hadn't considered future app compatibility as much. Most of what I use my phone for is built into the OS. I have an iPad for my App fix But I keep looking at my HTC Arrive and wishing Sprint would pick up any new Windows phone. I would settle for the "old" 900 in a heartbeat! But I would give an arm and a leg for the 920 with that awesome inductive charging. That is the feature I think is worth waiting for on a phone. I miss my Palm Pre so much...

I agree that inductive charging is an *awesome* feature. I have it on my HP Touchpad and my Palm Pixi Plus that my children use and I love how I don't have to worry about cables or cords and the charger also makes a convenient holder for the device so I don't lose it or accidently place something on it and break it. I also liked the way the HP/Palm devices had an exhibition mode which allowed them to double as a clock or picture frame when placed on the charger.

I too want a 920, but until T-Mobile gets them I'll stay with the 900 and my HTC Radar 4G. I've already got too many phones (a Dell Venue Pro, 3 HTC Radar 4Gs and a Nokia Lumia 900 and 2 Palm Pixi Pluses) for the family so I can't justify spending more money on phones at the moment

RudeBoie said:   The 800 and 900's are not upgradeable to Windows 8. Windows 8 Phones (all future Windows apps WILL be 8) come out in November.

They do get an upgrade to Windows 7.8 though that next update will come out in a few months I think.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014