• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I did a search and only saw a generic Big Lots post for this week. I picked up the Diablotek D2 tablet and for $80 it's very nice. It comes rooted out of the box and it was easy to add the android market, maps, gmail, gtalk and youtube. I was disappointed because at first the tablet wasn't getting the "optimized for tablets" look in gmail, reader, gtalk etc.. but I was able to change the screen resolution and now it works just like a tablet should. Comes with Android 4.0.4. I know cheap tablet are now a dime a dozen but with 1gb of ram this one actually has no lag compared to the 512mb models. If anyone picks this up and needs help with getting Google apps and tablet resolution let me know I will post a little walkthrough.

http://www.biglots.com/p/d/electronics/android-40-diablotek-d2-7...

Member Summary

tablet
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Purchased a d2 tablet for my daughter for christmas and games have almost filled up the internal memory. Just discovered... (more)

heebium (Jan. 26, 2013 @ 7:59p) |

I have memorized the instructions for the kindle update and i STILL cant figure it out!!! i don't have the WINZIP or an... (more)

awattsish (Feb. 07, 2013 @ 2:33p) |

I've tried lots of cheap tablets and I found them all unusable. Doesn't matter how much memory or how fast the processo... (more)

dennisfuller (Feb. 07, 2013 @ 4:19p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I am going to pick one up in a little bit at my nearest Big lots. Can you please help me with setting up mine. Thank you so much will check back in a few.

Sure, I will get a zip together with the files you need and some instructions.

What is the battery life?

I got 1Gb/8Gb "Zeki" brand from Kohl's for about the same price after the coupon.
But it is going back, as battery life is horrible.
It dies after about 3 hours and worst of all it somehow
does reset after battery is discharged loosing all settings and installed applications.

I have the Zeki tablet sitting next to me right now as well. It's essentially the same tablet. It's slightly thinner and lighter due to the casing. There's no hdmi out on the DT. There are no buttons on the DT other than on screen. The DT text is a bit more crisp than the Zeki. The battery life is better on the DT, but not a ton better. Probably 6 hours compared to the 3 of the Zeki. If you use SetCPU app you can get better battery life as well. I am returning the Zeki as well, because I feel the DT is better overall. And it comes with a mini to USB adapter which the Zeki didn't.

800x480 res, that's a bit low for a tablet.

I got it. Let me know when ur ready thanks

Picked one up yesterday. Like it so far.
Would be nice to get some help with setting it up. Thanks in advance

Would you please tell me, anyone, if this tablet has the capability to download autism apps? Or does it just have the apps it comes with? Also, what are the apps it comes with? Please let me know as soon as you can. My parents want to buy it for my Autistic son as opposed to an IPad. Thanks!

this would be perfect for my nieces and nephews. thanks op

KarenKBell said:   Would you please tell me, anyone, if this tablet has the capability to download autism apps? Or does it just have the apps it comes with? Also, what are the apps it comes with? Please let me know as soon as you can. My parents want to buy it for my Autistic son as opposed to an IPad. Thanks!

I don't have this tablet, but it will be able to install all sorts of apps via Google Play (market). You won't be limited to just what it comes installed with. If you're familiar with android phones & their ability to install apps, it's basically the same thing with a larger screen.

KarenKBell said:   Would you please tell me, anyone, if this tablet has the capability to download autism apps? Or does it just have the apps it comes with? Also, what are the apps it comes with? Please let me know as soon as you can. My parents want to buy it for my Autistic son as opposed to an IPad. Thanks!

You can install compatible Android applications in two ways:
1. download apk file from the internet (if available) and istall it from microSD card or via computer USB interface.
2. "Hack" it by installing google play store application from microSD card and after that
you can download android aplications from Android market.

But remember this on is 7 inches screen vs. IPAD's almost 10".
If cost is important, you can try this one first.
Screen sizes compared

Post the walk-through if you can. I'm going to pick one up now for reading books. I'm assuming the walk-through is not your basic settings changing routine?

This was the only way I could get Google marketplace to work. Installing from tablet or sd card did not work at all.

http://www.tabletroms.com/forums/visual-land-tablets/5363-visual...

There are some programs that I use that will not install because it states it's not compatible. I'm sure installing for the apk will be fine.

Short review:
Pro's
1. $80
2. 7"
3. Runs quick, no lagging but (see below)
4. Runs most Google apps
5. Comes rooted
6. microSD support, my 32GB works fine.

Con's
1. Screen is low quality. Glare is everywhere, glass over is not glossy so swipes will not be smooth. This makes using the tablet cumbersome really. For example pinch zooming can be difficult.
2. Touch sensitivity is not very accurate at all
3. Text is not as sharp with resolution. Add to that the poor contrast of the screen and I can't see reading on it for long. Coolreader installs but displays black screen.
4. Speaker is weak but ok. It's on the back and is mono. Haven't tried the headphones yet.
5. Tons of per-installed apps with some that you can't removed even with root access.

I'll give it a few days of reading to see whether it's a good buy or not.

Sorry guys, I got sidetracked today but will get the instructions and files needed to throw the Google Apps, Android Market and tablet resolution needed in the morning. Karenbell it will be able to install apps directly from the play store if you can do a little hacking(button clicking).

Okay, did the write up and added the files needed. I hope posting the link to the rar file is OK.

http://sdrv.ms/PNTWJ5

More or less it's just getting the Google Apps in the right place.
the0nekassyni, Not just changing some settings. these tablets need a little more than that because it has no framework to run the Play Store.

Anyone let me know if you are stuck or if my tutorial seems confusing.

edit to correct download link

Downloaded file from your skydrive and will give it try this weekend.
I will report back the result.

By the way, is there a way to back it up first b4 trying ?
Just to be on the safe side. Not that I have any doubts but I am
really not good with this kind of things.

the link did not open

When it freezes or U have other problems, it won't look so much like a bargan
as I found out with my CRUZ pad. NO TECH SUPPORT....NOTHING.

The good news is if Diablotek just put a new software/firmware update on thier site. http://www.d2pad.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&...
So if you try my fixes and break something now its an easy restore. I am working on getting CM10 on this so I have had to do the factory restore about 10 times already so I know it works well.

Mirror for whomever said link didn't work: https://www.dropbox.com/s/irk8by1xw74z5kk/Diablotek%20Fixer.rar

I picked one up today and like it. My ~3 year old Nook color seems to have died and this came along at just the right time. It is much lighter than the nc but the nc has a better screen. I used ERRONR's update/upgrade files and they worked great! My son is playing Diety Wars right now.

Oh, I heard from someone else that got one just before me that all the other stores in the area are OOS. The store I got it at is only a few weeks open so that might be why they still have them.

sdnelson said:   My son is playing Diety Wars right now.

A video game about losing weight?

Can someone post the Netflix app that was in system/apps? I kinda deleted it, and system restore didn't restore it... No other version of Netflix from Google Play, 1mobile, or Amazon will open.

*edit* I found out the version Diablotek recommends, 1.8.1 build 573, and I found it here: http://www.afreecodec.com/download/netflix-61_mobiletop1.html?o=... I installed it and Netflix works again.

*edit2* Also the manufacture update rom that posted above, I couldn't get the driver's working per their instructions. Instead of double clicking "LiveSuitPack105_english", also double click "LiveSuitPack_version_1.07_2011026", and that seemed to start getting the computer to recognize the d2 pad in the device manager. I got the drivers in DiablotekFixxer package posted above working, somewhere in the middle of trying to get the rom update working, so that might have helped too.

I could use your help. I, also, picked up the tablet at Big Lots. I do like it, however, I am having a problem with my Kindle for android tablet. I can download it, but am not able to read it. Can you advise?

I have the same issue - have downloaded some free books but there is no text to read! T;he titles come right up just nothing else. Am wondering if I need to do something more. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The manufacturer update is supposed to fix problems with kindle books. http://www.d2pad.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=173&Itemid=208

how's the GPS on this thing?

robotprom said:   how's the GPS on this thing?

I'd say it's very unlikely that it has GPS, but that would be great if it does. It would probably have Bluetooth before GPS & I don't think it has Bluetooth either.

i just picked up a ds pad at biglotts i am charging it right now know nothing about if you can help setting it up would be great i will check back in later ,thanks sandi

could use so help setting up i am charging it right now i'll check back if you can help thanks sandi

This is a nice little tablet for the money, however when I attach it VIA USB to my computer I can't get into the drives. Help!

The drives and fixes worked great! Does anyone know how to use the micro SD as the primary external memory. I have a 16gig card in but don't know how to move apps go it..

The drives and fixes worked great! Does anyone know how to use the micro SD as the primary external memory. I have a 16gig card in but don't know how to move apps go it..

I would like those fixes. Please help me get them when you get this message.

designwooddenver said:   The drives and fixes worked great! Does anyone know how to use the micro SD as the primary external memory. I have a 16gig card in but don't know how to move apps go it..
In Settings/Manage Applications, there is an option to move an already installed application to the microSD card. Not all apps can be moved.

Nichole1978 said:   I would like those fixes. Please help me get them when you get this message.

If you scroll up and check a post of mine you will ind the link for the fixes I made. Hope they help you out!

My son has autism also. We got this for our daughter though since we got him the ipad for prologuo2go and don't want her to feel left out. I really appreciate you all posting all this help. Very very helpful. For the Mom that has a child with AUTISM I have heard the proloquo2go is the best for the ipad. Your parents could get a older version to this app. I was told it is expensive but worth it. http://www.assistiveware.com/product/proloquo2go

im picking one up today so can you plzzzzz help me get the google play help thanks

I am assuming this has wifi capabilities? I hate to assume but since it has google play, I am. Can you confirm this? I didn't see it in the spec list.

remarkjl said:   I am assuming this has wifi capabilities? I hate to assume but since it has google play, I am. Can you confirm this? I didn't see it in the spec list. Yeah, you can safely assume all modern android tablets will have wifi.

Skipping 26 Messages...
I've tried lots of cheap tablets and I found them all unusable. Doesn't matter how much memory or how fast the processor is.

Spend a little more and get a refurbed Nook Color for $99 shipped at Overstock. It's not as snappy as my Galaxy S3 but it blows every Kohls tablet I've owned out of the water.

Nook Color for $99 from Overstock

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014