• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Buy a Qualifying Canon Digital SLR and Save up to $250 on Select Canon Lenses

For a limited time, save up to $250 instantly on select Canon lenses when you purchase a qualifying Canon digital SLR camera from Amazon.com. See details below to take advantage of this offer.

Offer valid through October 27, 2012, while supplies last. One lens discount per customer. Applies only to purchases of products sold by Amazon.com and does not apply to products sold by third-party merchants and other sellers through the Amazon.com site. Amazon.com reserves the right to end or modify this offer at any time.

How It Works
1. Click on the individual camera tabs below to see the qualifying products
2. Select one qualifying Canon digital SLR
3. Select the qualifying Canon lens
4. Add both products to your Shopping Cart to see the discount
Get an American Express Reward Card Worth $400

Get a $400 American Express Reward Card via mail-in rebate with the combined purchase of the Canon PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II photo printer and qualifying Canon cameras.

Offer valid through December 31, 2012, on products shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Does not apply to purchases made from other sellers on the Amazon.com website. Simply purchase the qualifying items and follow the instructions on the appropriate form to receive your rebate. Limit one rebate per purchase of eligible product or eligible product pair. Limit one claim per household. Click on links above for complete details and restrictions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_365897342_1?i...

Member Summary

Canon Combo Discount
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Not to throw a cat amongst the pigeons, but i am trying to decide between the Canon T4i and the Nikon D5100. where i am struggling is finding comparisons using the 55-250 and 22-300 lens respectively at maximum zoom, specifically for low light actions shots (kids running around in dull light, in fact taking pics of kids in any dull-low light as the blighters never keep still... EVER!)

any suggestions - pointers?

TLJester said:   Not to throw a cat amongst the pigeons, but i am trying to decide between the Canon T4i and the Nikon D5100. where i am struggling is finding comparisons using the 55-250 and 22-300 lens respectively at maximum zoom, specifically for low light actions shots (kids running around in dull light, in fact taking pics of kids in any dull-low light as the blighters never keep still... EVER!)

any suggestions - pointers?


I'm assuming you're outside during these shots, because if you're indoors at maximum zoom, you have a really really big house, or else just enjoy extreme closeups.

You're going to need a shutter speed of at least 1/60, and you'll still get some motion blur with that. I believe the 55-250 stops down to f/8 at maximum zoom, so the only thing you've got to work with is the ISO, which should be decent up to 3200 on both of these cameras.

If you need low light action shots at maximum zoom, I honestly don't think either of these lenses will be good enough, they are great in outdoor shots with plenty of light (i.e. birds, etc.), but not very good in low light conditions (speaking from experience with the 55-250). I found indoors I always went to the f/1.8 50mm, or the 17-55mm f/2.8 (but that's an expensive lens).

TLJester said:   Not to throw a cat amongst the pigeons, but i am trying to decide between the Canon T4i and the Nikon D5100. where i am struggling is finding comparisons using the 55-250 and 22-300 lens respectively at maximum zoom, specifically for low light actions shots (kids running around in dull light, in fact taking pics of kids in any dull-low light as the blighters never keep still... EVER!)

any suggestions - pointers?


I am sure both of those are awesome cameras, though I am a Canon user primarily because I've already bought into the system and feel that it is a better fit for me. I have Nikon friends and we all hang out together without any hint of awkwardness. (lol)

Kids running around + dull light = fast lens. Something like the 50mm f/1.8 that others have mentioned, or the 17-55 f/2.8 if you need a zoom - though this lens is quite expensive. The 55-250 is a great general purpose lens, but it doesn't do well in low light situations. I believe the T4i should be able to capture good results down to ISO 800, or even ISO 1600. You can then use as wide an aperture as you can get away with to try and get the fastest shutter speed possible. A wider aperture lets you run faster shutter, but makes focusing more difficult: you want to focus on the face, or ideally the closest eye, but if you miss and focus on the ear, too wide of an aperture will make the face blurry. Practice your handhold panning skills. The good thing with digital cameras is that you can just snap away and throw away the bad ones. So if you take 10 shots as your kid screams past you, getting 1-2 good pictures out of that is a good return.

Depending on the effect you want, you can choose 1/60 for "I can still make out the kids", 1/125 for "I can make out their face", or 1/250 for "reasonably sharp but loss of sense of motion". Using the pop up flash as fill flash can make 1/60 quite usable as the flash "freezes" that instant in the exposure.

I am sure Nikon has similar lenses than the ones I've mentioned above, and the theory of operation is much the same. In other words, it's mostly about the lenses and technique, than the body.

How do I know which lens is qualified? Tried a few and no discount shows up in cart.

Update: Never mind. You have to go to checkout to see the discount. It doesn't show in the cart.

Damn 978 views and no green! Tough Crowd...

HELPDESKGUY said:   Damn 978 views and no green! Tough Crowd...

It's not really a deal for a DSLR but rather the lens. I was excited to see camera deals but dissapointed when I learned it was a discount for a lens after you spent $$$. Hence no green, from me at least.

First - thanks for the great responses !!!
... and so far no Nikon/Canon fist-fights have broken out
I am tempted by the Canon as its newer, and the shots i have seen seem a bit punchier (and this is a pretty good deal!)
on the other hand, i hear that the Nikon is better with low (higher?) ISO 3200+ and also has a 300mm lens so a bit more zoomage (when the kids are running off over the hill and faraway)

Are the lenses more or less expensive Canon/Nikon (better yet, who has the best deals)

I know a lot say its a personal opinion with these camereas, but right now im good with recomendations.

If you plan to shoot video with the DSLR, Canon is light Years Ahead of Nikon in that aspect. The T4i even has three settings: Off, Camera mode and Video mode.

Now, photos can be argued either way depending on personal tastes.

TLJester said:   First - thanks for the great responses !!!
... and so far no Nikon/Canon fist-fights have broken out
I am tempted by the Canon as its newer, and the shots i have seen seem a bit punchier (and this is a pretty good deal!)
on the other hand, i hear that the Nikon is better with low (higher?) ISO 3200+ and also has a 300mm lens so a bit more zoomage (when the kids are running off over the hill and faraway)

Are the lenses more or less expensive Canon/Nikon (better yet, who has the best deals)

I know a lot say its a personal opinion with these camereas, but right now im good with recomendations.


I believe it's generally acknowledged by moderates in both camps that Canon has an edge in lens selection. Canon lenses also hold their value very well. It is possible to buy a lens, use it for a few years, and sell it for 80-90% of what you paid for it. In some instances, especially with certain L lenses, the price actually goes up and you are able to sell it for more than you paid.

The biggest difference between Nikon and Canon bodies are the auto focus systems, exposure (including flash) control, and ergonomics. I would say that Nikon has done a better job at auto focus and exposure control as recent as 2-3 years ago. Canon has caught up some, but I haven't spent much time catching up on more recent comparisons. Ergonomics is subjective, you'll have to hold both in your hands to see which one you like better.

yygmit said:   If you plan to shoot video with the DSLR, Canon is light Years Ahead of Nikon in that aspect. The T4i even has three settings: Off, Camera mode and Video mode.

Now, photos can be argued either way depending on personal tastes.


I would disagree here. For non-pros, the biggest feature to have for video is continuous auto-focus. I believe the Nikon D5100 was one of the first DLSR to have this feature, ahead of anything else Canon had at the time.

MaxRC said:   yygmit said:   If you plan to shoot video with the DSLR, Canon is light Years Ahead of Nikon in that aspect. The T4i even has three settings: Off, Camera mode and Video mode.

Now, photos can be argued either way depending on personal tastes.


I would disagree here. For non-pros, the biggest feature to have for video is continuous auto-focus. I believe the Nikon D5100 was one of the first DLSR to have this feature, ahead of anything else Canon had at the time.


As a photographer it's hard to say I want a certain body based on it's "video" features. I'll take weather-sealing, ISO performance, FPS, Megapix, bracketing, battery life, monitoring capability for studio shoots, etc.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014