i7 2700k $229 @ MicroCenter BM

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
May not be the cheapest I seen, but might be the lowest around now.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/376491/Core_i7_2700K_35GHz_LG...

Please remove if it's a repost.

Member Summary

i7 (7.81kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary

Just bought $180 i5 3750k from TigerDirect. Should I buy this one instead?
I will use Visual Studio and Matlab mainly. Cost for this would be around $250 after tax

ampicillinct said:   Just bought $180 i5 3750k from TigerDirect. Should I buy this one instead?
I will use Visual Studio and Matlab mainly. Cost for this would be around $250 after tax

How'd you get the $180 deal on the 3570k?

http://www.fatwallet.com/TigerDirect-coupons/intel-core-i5-3570k...

gusk1200 said:   ampicillinct said:   Just bought $180 i5 3750k from TigerDirect. Should I buy this one instead?

How'd you get the $180 deal on the 3570k?

ampicillinct said:   Just bought $180 i5 3750k from TigerDirect. Should I buy this one instead?

I wouldn't bother, hyperhtreading can actually slow down your applications. The only plus on the I7 model is the extra 2MB of Cache but it's not really worth the extra $$.

megorblah said:   I wouldn't bother, hyperhtreading can actually slow down your applications. The only plus on the I7 model is the extra 2MB of Cache but it's not really worth the extra $$.

I disagree. HyperThreading on Intel's modern CPUs pretty much never slows anything down. It generally always provides a speedup with multithreaded apps.

Well, except for perhaps LinX.

Edit: Btw, there is a $50 off combo deal when you buy a qualified '77 motherboard with this CPU at MC too.

Difference between i5-3750 and i7-2700 is about 25% performance-wise and about 25% wattage (nominally 20% but in actuality it is more).
Meaning there goes your choice. If you up the performance you will have to pay more for power supply (unless you have a solid one to start with) and for electricity use.
Still compared to AMD snailhogs this is a good deal in particular if bought with discounted motherboard.

Currently the best processor to buy, in my view, is i7-3770. Both in terms of performance and in terms of wattage. But it is $30 more in Microcenter. It absolutely kills off anything AMD has to offer and I used to be AMD "fanboy.".

If you are running stock speeds, yes the I7 is clocked higher than the I5, however since you are buying a K series I assume you are going to overclock it which means you are going to be running around the same frequency regardless. Sadly the ivybridges arent as good at overclocking as the sandbridge due to intel putting poor thermal compound under the heat spreader.

As for Ht *some* applications it can make it faster, depends what you are using it for. Games for example you will see no difference. The most place I've actually seen HT do anything is in synthetic benchmarks.

check out games/apps on:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2012/-20-Crysis-II,3175.html

To see if what you run would benefit from the 30% price difference.

VirtuaL said:   megorblah said:   I wouldn't bother, hyperhtreading can actually slow down your applications. The only plus on the I7 model is the extra 2MB of Cache but it's not really worth the extra $$.

I disagree. HyperThreading on Intel's modern CPUs pretty much never slows anything down. It generally always provides a speedup with multithreaded apps.

Well, except for perhaps LinX.

Edit: Btw, there is a $50 off combo deal when you buy a qualified '77 motherboard with this CPU at MC too.

It's killing me how much sweeter this deal is with the $50 off the Mobo/CPU combo, yet I don't have a Microcenter without a day's drive! Why can't they get with the 21st century and ship these things?!

It's the cheapest I seen! And I have looked for it for a long time!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014