Error

The message you are trying to link to is not in this topic.

• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Free 30GB Cloud Storage Space from Glide

Glide offers free 30GB Cloud Storage Space with access for up to six users.

Link : Text

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I thought they changed it to fair use. If you bought it, you could convert it to use on your devices.

ParatoOptimal (Oct. 29, 2012 @ 3:02p) |

Don't put sensitive documents up there, put pictures, music etc.

stanorlaski (Oct. 29, 2012 @ 3:13p) |

From the Glide registration site: "Trans Media reserves the right, at any time without notice to any user or prospective... (more)

MrFrugality (Nov. 12, 2012 @ 3:54a) |

Staff Summary

And the site is down...

russ0519 said:   And the site is down...

Not very encouraging...

websitedown.info

Be sure to read the "Terms of Service" before you partake. Here's just one such paragraph:

"TransMedia reserves the right to monitor, review, retain and/or disclose any files, content or information in your Glide™ account in order to assess your compliance with the Terms of Use (including all policies, guidelines and other supplemental documents adopted by TransMedia) and to comply with applicable laws, rules, regulations, legal process or governmental requests. TransMedia may also access your Glide™ account, including any files or content, for such purposes or to respond to service or technical problems."

Buyer (so to speak) Beware...

Site is still down

took awhile, but finally worked. thanks!

Fatwallet effect...

On a side note, after seeing their design and buggy / unreliable site, I'm not sure the free storage is worth it...

if they can't handle a little FW effect, I'd say this thing isn't worth it. I remember signed up for a dozen of these site over the years and they all disappeared. Who knows whether they sold my info. Got 50Gb on several box accts that never used. I'd pass.

There are few better choices than a company that you've never heard of that has a we're-gonna-look privacy policy to entrust your personal data with. Great deal!

what happens on a sunny day ? can you still access your data ?

dup

slickdeal45 said:   There are few better choices than a company that you've never heard of that has a we're-gonna-look privacy policy to entrust your personal data with. Great deal!
So if they explicitly promised not to look, you'd store your private data there, unencrypted?

It took a couple of minutes, but I was in. Thanks OP.

Thanks nostalgicgeek for the heads up.

Thanks

knickdigger said:   So if they explicitly promised not to look, you'd store your private data there, unencrypted?

I'm not that stupid. Are you? There aren't any free lunches. If you're not the customer (ie, the one paying for the service), you're the product. Same goes for things like Google's services.

If my personal information has value to a company, they can pay me for it. Why would I be so stupid as to give it to them for free?

I agree , A free lunch is only found in mouse traps

^ second mouse get the cheese.

Have 71 free gigs on Dropbox. Not interested

All your data are belong to us.

^ and any legal problem belong to you.

nostalgicgeek said:   Be sure to read the "Terms of Service" before you partake. Here's just one such paragraph:

"TransMedia reserves the right to monitor, review, retain and/or disclose any files, content or information in your Glide™ account in order to assess your compliance with the Terms of Use (including all policies, guidelines and other supplemental documents adopted by TransMedia) and to comply with applicable laws, rules, regulations, legal process or governmental requests. TransMedia may also access your Glide™ account, including any files or content, for such purposes or to respond to service or technical problems."

Buyer (so to speak) Beware...

Wow, thanks for posting this. So any files I store on their site can be made accessible to the entire world at any time. I can also expect them to monitor and/or disclose the presence of any music files in my storage space and possibly subject me to the whims of the RIAA. I can't believe any company selling cloud storage would apply conditions like these.

knickdigger said:   So if they explicitly promised not to look, you'd store your private data there, unencrypted?

Here's one where there isn't a choice: SpiderOak.com - $8.33/mo for 200GB if you're a student. Encryption is client side only, server side is zero knowledge. No only won't they look at your data, they can't - they don't have it, and they can't even reset it. Mac, Linux, and Windows support. Automatic backup, de-duplication savings are realized in your account (they don't charge you for storing a file more than once, unlike Dropbox), file versioning and recovery. (No relationship to SO except as a customer)

Yes, it costs money, but it's probably safer than just about anything else out there.

Things such as online backup should cost money.

At first glance it looks nice.
There's an email a/c, calendar, and quite a bit more.
You even get a basic web site (probably not too sophisticated but it's free).
And all web based so you can get your data, mail, etc. anywhere.

If you are willing to put any sensitive documents in a cloud based storage (even with encryption), you can't be sure if your docs are going to be safe. However, all I use this space is for backing up my pictures/videos etc.

thanks. free is always good

If you store music and video, how do they or anyone who's looking to prosecute NOT know that you purchased them on disc and converted them to store in the cloud to enjoy anywhere you go and at any friend's home?

Because the conversion is likely against the license you got when you purchased said digital item.

I thought they changed it to fair use. If you bought it, you could convert it to use on your devices.

Don't put sensitive documents up there, put pictures, music etc.

From the Glide registration site: "Trans Media reserves the right, at any time without notice to any user or prospective user, to terminate the availability of the free Glide account and to modify the terms of use of the free Glide account". Really? So a user loses access to all his/her files? What nice customer relations!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014