• Go to page :
  • 1 2 34
  • Text Only
hammer45 said:   cleek said:   cleek said:   hammer45 said:   Shipping to STORE only...not one close by unfortunately.

No it is not ship to STORE only...The unit is $319 shipped to your home and delivered by the "Men in Brown", but ship to STORE is a option if your prefer.

Don't be confused by the STS option listed on the page.

I got red for free shipping to home? LOL

Not from me...I actually bought one and gave you GREEN! If you click the rating chart it will tell you who voted what.

Greling is a troll.

cybert19 said:   momoman said:   these can be converted to tri-fuel (gasoline, natural gas, liquid propane) for about $200. i haven't converted my still new 3500w champion ($100-$150 AR fw deal in 2008) generator yet but plan to real soon. i bought it to be prepared for "the big one" since i live in socal.

Question: Were do you expect to get gasoline, natural gas or liquid propane if socal has another one of any size?

NG will be cut off to prevent explosions, no electricity to pump gasoline and nobody will sell their liquid propane.
i currently have 2 20-lb propane tanks for my bbq. i was thinking of buying 2-3 more and storing them in my garage long term. lpg tanks are inexpensive and the fuel is stable has a very long shelf life. the absolute coldest my home gets is in the high 50's in the winter and high 80's in the summer w/o the heater or a/c so i don't need to power up the a/c or heater. i only need to run the refrig a few hours/day and have some lights (led) and a few power outlets working in an emergency.

Is the output from these cheap generators clean enough to power audio and video gear and computers ? I thought I read somewhere that they don't produce a pure sine wave. Also, should you run the tank till empty or is it OK to leave the gas tank full in storage for 1 - 3 years ?

Do NOT leave gas in this for a few years (or even one) - you will gum up the carb (especially w/ Ethanol in the gas). Store your gas in a plastic container (in my experience it does matter) with fuel stabilized added. I cycle through 10 gallons a year to make sure I have good fuel on hand for an emergency. It would also be good to start it and let it run for half an hour or so every month or so.

As for your electronics, they would probably be fine. If your worried about it, if you have a UPS for your computer plug that in instead as they clean up the voltage.

momoman said:   cybert19 said:   momoman said:   these can be converted to tri-fuel (gasoline, natural gas, liquid propane) for about $200. i haven't converted my still new 3500w champion ($100-$150 AR fw deal in 2008) generator yet but plan to real soon. i bought it to be prepared for "the big one" since i live in socal.

Question: Were do you expect to get gasoline, natural gas or liquid propane if socal has another one of any size?

NG will be cut off to prevent explosions, no electricity to pump gasoline and nobody will sell their liquid propane.
i currently have 2 20-lb propane tanks for my bbq. i was thinking of buying 2-3 more and storing them in my garage long term. lpg tanks are inexpensive and the fuel is stable has a very long shelf life. the absolute coldest my home gets is in the high 50's in the winter and high 80's in the summer w/o the heater or a/c so i don't need to power up the a/c or heater. i only need to run the refrig a few hours/day and have some lights (led) and a few power outlets working in an emergency.

That sounds like a good idea. Do you know how long it would run on a 20 lb tank?

cybert19 said:   momoman said:   cybert19 said:   momoman said:   these can be converted to tri-fuel (gasoline, natural gas, liquid propane) for about $200. i haven't converted my still new 3500w champion ($100-$150 AR fw deal in 2008) generator yet but plan to real soon. i bought it to be prepared for "the big one" since i live in socal.

That sounds like a good idea. Do you know how long it would run on a 20 lb tank?
there are many variables (temperature, size of generator, load, etc) but a ballpark would be about 10 hrs+ for a 3500w at half load. if someone has real life experience please chime in. i've been spending lots of time lately reading up on propane conversions on this site

i've never fired up my new generator (purchased in 2008) yet but will do it as soon as i convert it to tri-fuel. the propane won't gum up the carburetor. i didn't want to fire it up with gasoline because i didn't want to deal with the maintenance. i hope never to need my generator but have peace of mind knowing i'll have something immediately available during an emergency. my friends in the SGV area of socal got caught off guard during the severe windstorms earlier this year and some lost power for over a week.

I got in on the 08 deal for the predecessor of this generator which in some ways is superior since it has 240 as well as 110. It cost me $150 with the wheel kit (wheel kit was extra). The Champion brand is one of the better regarded Chondas (Chinese Honda clones). This is a good deal. Some tips from my unit that probably apply here. One mine generator is unable to maintain 60 cycles if the load is below 150-200 watts. I noticed this when we were on the generator for 4.5 days last year and my wife's digital clock was all over the place on time (e.g., 20 mins fast then 30 mins slow). I put my kill-a-watt on it and noticed the cycles going from 30-75 which was not good. I put a 300 watt hologen work light on it and left it on and then the cycles stabilized at 60. I have seen similar reports on Chondas from others. I strongly suggest getting a kill-a-watt so you can measure loads and confirm voltage and cycles from the generator.

As I said mine worked great for 4.5 days last year. It burned about 5-6 gallons per 24 hour period. Since I live on the east coast and most outages are related to major weather events it is usually easy to stock up on gas before the event. I keep 5 x 5 gallon containers to fill up in advanced. I usually keep 10-15 gallons on hand for lawn mower and generators and if I don't use it up in six months dump into the car and refill them to keep the gas fresh. I periodically run the generator (usually every three months for a couple of hours on a 300 watt halogen light to test and "exercise" the genset). Also don't forget to budget for the cable to bring electricity to your house. 30 Amps requires a thick cable and my 100 ft cable cost me $100. It was actually cheaper to buy the right gauge extension cord and cut off both ends to make it work for the generator.

secstate said:   .....generator is unable to maintain 60 cycles if the load is below 150-200 watts.i didn't know it was necessary to load the generator until i read a recent post here in fw. someone posted they were buying the Sears 300w halogen work light so they could load their generator. i looked up "loading a generator" to understand the importance of doing that. from what i've read it also saves fuel to run a loaded generator. it sounds contradictory but a lightly loaded generator will use more fuel. link

edit: the deal is now dead, OOS. this generator wasn't CARB compliant and couldn't be sold in CA but the 2008 champion deal was for a CARB compliant generator.

momoman said:   i didn't know it was necessary to load the generator until i read a recent post here in fw. someone posted they were buying the Sears 300w halogen work light so they could load their generator. i looked up "loading a generator" to understand the importance of doing that. from what i've read it also saves fuel to run a loaded generator. it sounds contradictory but a lightly loaded generator will use more fuel. link

edit: the deal is now dead, OOS. this generator wasn't CARB compliant and couldn't be sold in CA but the 2008 champion deal was for a CARB compliant generator.

Yeah I didn't realize either and I thought keeping the load low and using CFLs for lighting was a good thing but it wasn't.

momoman said:   edit: the deal is now dead, OOS. this generator wasn't CARB compliant and couldn't be sold in CA but the 2008 champion deal was for a CARB compliant generator.Dammit!!! It had been showing "backorderable". What I get for being on the fence. What was the reason for the ultra low price in '08?

Since it is OOS, I saw the tractor supply ad for $300 thu this week:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/champion-power-equipment-trade-3500...

I think this might be the same model but does not include the "weekender" package with wheels handles.

OOS at local stores but they do rainchecks.

My B/O Cabela one shipped today - I figured I'd just go ahead and accept the delivery rather than get the TSC one with no wheels for $20 less.

retrac said:   momoman said:   edit: the deal is now dead, OOS. this generator wasn't CARB compliant and couldn't be sold in CA but the 2008 champion deal was for a CARB compliant generator.Dammit!!! It had been showing "backorderable". What I get for being on the fence. What was the reason for the ultra low price in '08?Special purchase, Advance Auto coupon, double rebates. I only got one of the rebates but was happy with it for about $150. Very good generator, but did not come with the mobility kit.

ericmcgill said:   Since it is OOS, I saw the tractor supply ad for $300 thu this week:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/champion-power-equipment-trade-3500...

I think this might be the same model but does not include the "weekender" package with wheels handles.

OOS at local stores but they do rainchecks.

My B/O Cabela one shipped today - I figured I'd just go ahead and accept the delivery rather than get the TSC one with no wheels for $20 less.
Slightly different model. The one at TSC comes with the 240V option.

tractor supply sells the wheel kit for $45 and a cover for $10.

I wouldn't store this outside anyway. Someone is bound to steal it. Besides - how many folks immediatly put the cover on after use and had really bad results? LOL let is cool down first.

Back in stock.

Broke mine in over the weekend.

Use std 10/30 oil for break in.

Change the oil after the 1st 5 hours.

Decent voltage results: 121.1 voltage drawing ~2500 watts. 119.4 drawing 900 watts.

I'll try it with my high end AV surge suppressor and then the UPS

Note my "kilo--watt" complains mightily when in excess of 15 amps drawn (but I know that going in)

TY OP!, ordered one.
We lost power during Sandy, fortunately only overnight. Where is the best place to run this in stormy weathers? is running it in front Porch ok? And I have a gas heater down in the basement, will I be able to run that, how much power will it use? any idea?

mugambo said:   TY OP!, ordered one.
We lost power during Sandy, fortunately only overnight. Where is the best place to run this in stormy weathers? is running it in front Porch ok? And I have a gas heater down in the basement, will I be able to run that, how much power will it use? any idea?

run it out of doors, only - not even in your garage.

check out the wattage calculator link on the Cabelas product page

The gas heater runs on------Gas!. The furnace fan is what you're concerned with. Check your the furnace owner's guide and find out if it is 120v and how many watts it draws on start up and running.

Be carefull with Champion products.
My 4500/5500 unit is tore down in the garage, needs valvetrain parts.
So far no response from the company.

I only have about 50 hours on the genny.

"With a noise level of 68db, its quiet only 8db above normal conversation."

Wow...that is a very misleading statement...68 db is almost twice as loud as normal conversation. The db scale is logarithmic on base 10.

TY cleek, will check the info on furnace fan later today.

FYI Looks like Cabelas will have this unit for $279 in store from 5 AM to 10 AM on Black Friday.

cleek said:   FYI Looks like Cabelas will have this unit for $279 in store from 5 AM to 10 AM on Black Friday.

Wonder if we can get a price adjustment?

Is it ok to store it in a tool shed, when it's not running?

Is this the Champion generator that was recalled?

I want one! But they wont ship to the People's Republic of California

Got mine last weekend. Installation took 15 minutes. Two pulls started smoothly. The noise sounds reasonable, less than my two stage craft snow blower but would still wake up neighbors at night for sure. Guess who cares when emergency happens...

my breakers are not setup correctly to just run 1 wire back to the basement to run few things with this generator.. I guess I need to run couple of loooong extension wires ? one to kitchen and 1 to basement ?

$299

$20 off of $150 or more, brings it down to $299:
link

woowoo2 said:   Be carefull with Champion products.
My 4500/5500 unit is tore down in the garage, needs valvetrain parts.
So far no response from the company.

I only have about 50 hours on the genny.

Exactly. These "Chondas" arent on the same level of true Honda. No way. They may look nice but this problem mentioned is typical of inferior metals, inferior material hardness, etc.
This why the are so cheap!
Hey, I own one but I would never depend on it for long term use. It simply will not last like a Honda

Matze73 said:   $299

$20 off of $150 or more, brings it down to $299:
link

You are awesome for this. $299 shipped to my house -- that's hard to beat.

Now I'll just need to convert it for dual LP/gasoline use. I see the links above, but if anybody has had any particular successes or failures with this process, would love to hear.

I use Premium gas in all my small engines... it makes a difference.

mugambo said:   TY OP!, ordered one.

Had to borrow a better prepared neighbor's generator after 7 days without power on account of Sandy.

As a reference: my gas furnace uses a Bell & Gossett cirulator pump (Model 100, 1/12hp) which is supposed to draw 1.75Amp.

1.75 Amp x 120 Volts = 210 Watts to keep it running. At first I experimented with a computer battery/UPS that was 330watt. It didn't work as the cirulator pump uses anywhere from 700 to 1200 watts when it first cranks up!

GWBush said:   I want one! But they wont ship to the People's Republic of California
Yeah, that sux, what's up with that?

It looks like this only has 2 normal receptacle outlets. Do you just plug a power strip into one of them if you need to use for more than 2 devices?

Really wanted the Honda but a lot less $ forced me to pull the plug on this Champion. When I placed the order, $20 off coupon was not there, so I overpaid by $20.

brotherhpj said:   I use Premium gas in all my small engines... it makes a difference.
Does not make any sense, same as dumping premium fuel in a Civic.

Everything I've read suggests that these and others at this price level MAY ruin electronics (many systems have electronics for their controls) due to high harmonic distortion (THD).

In practice, I see my neighbors have used cheap generators multiple times during outages and haven't heard them complain about having to repair anything.

I would hate to save a few hundred bucks on a generator only to need to repair/replace my busted furnace...

I have an old 3000watt generator. I hardwire the 220 outlet it to a double breaker (dryer) on the subpanel and turn off the subpanel (from the main). This energizes both legs on that panel.
I do notice that the furnace motor (110) sounds differently. I assume that my oldie generator isn't providing the proper output.
I haven't destroyed any electronics but I also don't trust it with my desktop computer or tvs.
I assume that the 110/220 power supply on a laptop would provide similar protection/stabilization as a UPS?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014