• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-S-III-16GB-Android-4-0-Fa...

Condition: Brand New

This phone will work with your current SIM card for AT&T and T-Mobile in the USA, as well as an International GSM Carrier.

Box Contents
Galaxy S III Phone
Headset
USB Cable
Power Charger
USA Power Adapter

re4quest op

Member Summary

Samsung Galaxy S 3 16GB
Thanks UncleRico
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Thanks for the input on the nexus 4. I thought about waiting for it before I got my S3 and the Nexus' lack of an SD card... (more)

TheGhoul (Nov. 04, 2012 @ 8:21a) |

There is no such thing as AT&T SERVICE. I just left them after 9 years. They used to be the best in the country, but
are ... (more)

matingbflies (Nov. 05, 2012 @ 12:51a) |

which of the two phones are you refering to, that were offered at $99 @ Best Buy? The Galaxy S III or the Nexus 4?

matingbflies (Nov. 05, 2012 @ 12:56a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Which is better deal SG3 for $499 or Nexus 4 for $349? I am leaning toward Nexus 4 and save extra $150.

Note 2 for $589 on Newegg

docjoo said:   Which is better deal SG3 for $499 or Nexus 4 for $349? I am leaning toward Nexus 4 and save extra $150.

Not an easy decision, I am on the same page.

SG3 seems to be a better phone.

No one should pay this much for a phone. JMO

This is the international version with quad-core chip and 1GB RAM (the US versions from T-Mobile and ATT have dual-core chip and 2GB RAM). For more info, see here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1757755

from what I can understand so far:

SGS3 international version = quad-core, 1gig ram, no LTE

Nexus4 = quad-core, 2 gig ram, no LTE, no microSD

I guess the choice depends on the need for 1 or 2 gigs of ram or having microSD or having up-to-date OS from developer.

*head explodes*

you could have recently bought this at best buy for $99 with a $200 ETF on T-Mobile. This is the second time it's been offered at that price. unlocking this phone is inexpensive as well.

no one should be paying more than $400 for this phone.

Barabas said:   This is the international version with quad-core chip and 1GB RAM (the US versions from T-Mobile and ATT have dual-core chip and 2GB RAM). For more info, see here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1757755


the OP's link is for the dual core version of the phone.

If you don't need much local storage, the 8 gig Nexus 4 is $299 IIRC. 16 gig is $349.

etee said:   you could have recently bought this at best buy for $99 with a $200 ETF on T-Mobile. This is the second time it's been offered at that price. unlocking this phone is inexpensive as well.

no one should be paying more than $400 for this phone.


With a 2 year contract ?

etee said:   Barabas said:   This is the international version with quad-core chip and 1GB RAM (the US versions from T-Mobile and ATT have dual-core chip and 2GB RAM). For more info, see here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1757755


the OP's link is for the dual core version of the phone.


The eBay listing in OP shows "SKU: I9300" and "UPC: 8806085111738, 8806085268616, 8806085060517", which is a quad-core international version. The eBay description says dual-core. One of those statements is incorrect, I9300 cannot be dual-core.

Butcherboy said:   etee said:   you could have recently bought this at best buy for $99 with a $200 ETF on T-Mobile. This is the second time it's been offered at that price. unlocking this phone is inexpensive as well.

no one should be paying more than $400 for this phone.


With a 2 year contract ?


If I understand correctly what etee said, get it on-contract for 99 and then cancel contract after paying 200 ETF. Net price = 99+200 = 299. Right etee?

The phone may cost $99 plus $299 for ETF, but what about activation fee? How much does it cost to unlock it? Is factory unlocked as good as after-market unlock?

dainesy said:   The phone may cost $99 plus $299 for ETF, but what about activation fee? How much does it cost to unlock it? Is factory unlocked as good as after-market unlock?

Also will you have to pay first and last month phone bill on that contract ?

Don't you also pay early termination fees to both Best Buy and T-Mobile?

Phone $ 99 + ETF $ 200 +Activation fee $ 35 + First Month bill $ 60 ( min) + Last month Bill 60 = $454

On top of this tax

So better rethink of going with Best Buy + T mobile combination

Phone $ 99 + ETF $ 200 +Activation fee $ 35 + First Month bill $ 60 ( min) + Last month Bill 60 = $454

On top of this tax

So better rethink of going with Best Buy + T mobile combination

amhidogha said:   Butcherboy said:   etee said:   you could have recently bought this at best buy for $99 with a $200 ETF on T-Mobile. This is the second time it's been offered at that price. unlocking this phone is inexpensive as well.

no one should be paying more than $400 for this phone.


With a 2 year contract ?


If I understand correctly what etee said, get it on-contract for 99 and then cancel contract after paying 200 ETF. Net price = 99+200 = 299. Right etee?


That's correct. Activation fees are waived for people who are affiliated with certain corporations (as well as AAA members it seems).
You might have to get one month of service. On the upside, you get what you pay for...you can use 1 month of service....

Additionally I'd like to add that the phone in the OP does not support AWS (1700 MHz UMTS), so it is not fully compatible with T-Mobile 3G/4G service. It should be great for ATT service though.

jagan164 said:   Phone $ 99 + ETF $ 200 +Activation fee $ 35 + First Month bill $ 60 ( min) + Last month Bill 60 = $454

On top of this tax

So better rethink of going with Best Buy + T mobile combination


in some states like IL, you pay tax on $99. In other states like CA, you pay tax on the unsubsidized price of the phone. don't need to pay last month's bill. activation waived for lots of folks who are eligible.

the key here is that T-Mobile charges ONLY $200 ETF. Other carriers charge $350. I think they will change this in the future considering the cost of these phones. However it maybe because they don't have iPhone.

docjoo said:   Don't you also pay early termination fees to both Best Buy and T-Mobile?

I don't think this is the case. Only 1 contract signed when you buy through best buy. Amazon wireless & some other online wireless sellers are another story...nevermind that Amazon wireless does not offer tmobile's GS3 anyway.

Additionally, I don't think that the international version has the Tmobile bands (1700?) to get 3G on their network, where the new nexus does and can get 3G on ATT or Tmobile. Is this correct? can anyone confirm?

IamMaximus said:   from what I can understand so far:

SGS3 international version = quad-core, 1gig ram, no LTE

Nexus4 = quad-core, 2 gig ram, no LTE, no microSD

I guess the choice depends on the need for 1 or 2 gigs of ram or having microSD or having up-to-date OS from developer.

*head explodes*

I bought this phone from Amazon for slightly more ($555 1 day shipping). Rooted and CM10, this phone rocks. Wish you had been a week earlier! Still the best phone for the money. Works great here in Belgium.

I went between this and the Note 2 and chose this based on size and weight (didn't need something so big and the damn thing weighs nothing).

I would go with the Nexus 4 for that price difference. I have the Galaxy Nexus and my wife has the S3. Hers is so loaded with crap apps that I'm happy the Nexus line comes with none of that. (And she can't uninstall them without rooting.) Her screen is a little bigger, but it's almost too big to hold. I will say my battery life on the Galaxy Nexus is miserable...I had to get an extended battery right away. The lastest OS upgrade seems to have made battery life even worse. But if I had to choose between the Galaxy Nexus again and the S3, I'd take the Nexus. So for sure if I was upgrading, I'd take the Nexus 4 over the S3. Being unlocked is even a bigger advantage. I've used my phone in Europe without any issues.

By they way, Google doesn't seem to advertise this but their voice app is at least as good or better now than Siri. I can ask it stuff just like the Apple commercials (except that I know when it's raining outside when looking through a window at the rain.) I asked it "Lowes store hours" yesterday and it knew the location and hours of my local Lowes. It also knew that it was a Saturday and showed me only the store hours for Saturday. Pretty cool.

cyfan said:   I would go with the Nexus 4 for that price difference. I have the Galaxy Nexus and my wife has the S3. Hers is so loaded with crap apps that I'm happy the Nexus line comes with none of that. (And she can't uninstall them without rooting.) Her screen is a little bigger, but it's almost too big to hold. I will say my battery life on the Galaxy Nexus is miserable...I had to get an extended battery right away. The lastest OS upgrade seems to have made battery life even worse. But if I had to choose between the Galaxy Nexus again and the S3, I'd take the Nexus. So for sure if I was upgrading, I'd take the Nexus 4 over the S3. Being unlocked is even a bigger advantage. I've used my phone in Europe without any issues.

By they way, Google doesn't seem to advertise this but their voice app is at least as good or better now than Siri. I can ask it stuff just like the Apple commercials (except that I know when it's raining outside when looking through a window at the rain.) I asked it "Lowes store hours" yesterday and it knew the location and hours of my local Lowes. It also knew that it was a Saturday and showed me only the store hours for Saturday. Pretty cool.


Thanks for the input on the nexus 4. I thought about waiting for it before I got my S3 and the Nexus' lack of an SD card slot, no LTE and no removable battery killed it for me.

There is no such thing as AT&T SERVICE. I just left them after 9 years. They used to be the best in the country, but
are severely lacking. I had a tower 2 miles from my house and had to be in my backyard to have a complete conversation.
What good is any ritzy phone and astronomical monthly bills when you have little or no service?

which of the two phones are you refering to, that were offered at $99 @ Best Buy? The Galaxy S III or the Nexus 4?



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014