• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Link to Shingles If it doesnt come up for you, use zip code 60607 and type '3-tab' in your search.

I came across this by accident while looking for shingles and I attempted to price match at my Home Depot and was shot down. I thought they would price match any other store but they had a hat-full of excuses.

If you have any of the $50 off $100 coupons left, you can get an excellent deal if you buy 5 packs at once.
Remember, 3 packs of 3-tab will cover approx 10' x 10'

They are $31.00 per bundle in most other areas.

$12.99 per pack if you use a $50 coupon and buy 5 at the location(s) mentioned above.

Home Depot
See Home Depot promo codes that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

shingles
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Excerpt from Consumer Reports' Roof Buying Guide: "Asphalt shingles are made of fiberglass sandwiched between asphalt and ceramic granules. Relatively light and easy to install, they are a good choice if you're looking for style at a budget price. They may last 30 years or more, but they can be vulnerable to high winds. Asphalt roofing comes in two types: Laminated shingles, also known as "architectural" or "dimensional" shingles, are layered, and their thickness and depth make them look more like slate or wood shakes. Three-tab asphalt shingles, though similarly priced, are made in a single layer. They're flatter and thinner than laminated shingles. As a group, they didn't perform as well in our tests."

My 3-tab survived Sandy... so whats your point?

If installed properly, they last a long time. I saw some youtube videos and there are some complete idiots installing roofs on there by missing the shingles underneath when nailing new ones.... then you have a whole layer blowing off. Also, many dont use starter rows... thats another problem.

I'm not sure if your post is a warning to people to not get this style or what but if you look out of your window, you'll see 75% or more of the houses and garages with 3-tab.

SlamminMOFO said:   My 3-tab survived Sandy... so whats your point?

If installed properly, they last a long time. I saw some youtube videos and there are some complete idiots installing roofs on there by missing the shingles underneath when nailing new ones.... then you have a whole layer blowing off. Also, many dont use starter rows... thats another problem.

I'm not sure if your post is a warning to people to not get this style or what but if you look out of your window, you'll see 75% or more of the houses and garages with 3-tab.
Price is not the only parameter for selecting a roofing material. There are other factors such as quality of the materials used, appearance (architectural, three tab, color), fire rating, warranty, etc.

By the way, when I look out my window I see either tile or architectural asphalt shingle on roofs. Wood shakes are no longer a viable choice because revised building codes increased the fire resistance requirements.

kshell said:   SlamminMOFO said:   My 3-tab survived Sandy... so whats your point?

Price is not the only parameter for selecting a roofing material. There are other factors such as quality of the materials used, appearance (architectural, three tab, color), fire rating, warranty, etc.

By the way, when I look out my window I see either tile or architectural asphalt shingle on roofs. Wood shakes are no longer a viable choice because revised building codes increased the fire resistance requirements.

Hey, if it's not good for you, that's fine. Others will appreciate the deal that are in the market for shingles because they are never this low in price. BTW, these are the only 3-tab that HD carries so I dont think there is any question about quality. 25 year warranty if you took the time to open and read... so like it said, if it's not good for you, just move on.

SlamminMOFO said:   My 3-tab survived Sandy... so whats your point?

Speaking of which, I am going to be hoping for the best when I get a roofer out here this week. From what I can see on my 3 floor townhouse, there isn't much to fix, but given the number of shingles I saw missing on our 5 year and younger homes, I'm worried the roofing guy was just amateur hour. Lets just say I am going to avoid another Pulte home either way. Not impressed here.

Nice price drop. Thanks OP!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.