• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.adorama.com/ASTF700TB1G.html?

Amethyst Gray version
Specs

Pretty tough call between this and the Nexus 10. The extra memory and micro-SD slot might be worth the extra $50 and slower Android updates.

Adorama
See Adorama discounts that earn 3.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

SUS Transformer Infinity
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The nexus 10 has much better processor, GPU, resolution & double the memory! Plus, all current updates will be in the Nexus 10 immediately.

For $50 difference Nexus 10 is hands down winner IMHO.

ezwrighter said:   The nexus 10 has much better processor, GPU, resolution & double the memory! Plus, all current updates will be in the Nexus 10 immediately.

I haven't read a review where the reviewer thought the N10 was a "hands down winner" over the TF700. It's a tough call, actually. The TF700 screen is said to be better, despite the lower resolution. And with less pixels to push around, the real-world graphics performance may not be very far off. As far as OEMs go Asus is the best with updates, and for those who need 32GB of storage the $100 premium on the Nexus 10 is a tough pill to swallow (and if you need even more than that you're out of luck).

Quick Android update is over rated. If I hadn't bought an Excite 10 for $100 less I might be inclined to be all over this one.

ezwrighter said:   The nexus 10 has much better processor, GPU, resolution & double the memory! Plus, all current updates will be in the Nexus 10 immediately.

Yeah, I forgot about double the RAM, but the $400 Nexus 10 has half the hard drive space of the Infinity and no option for expansion. 16GB is just not enough. $100 for an extra 16GB is just insulting. The lack of a micro-SD slot, well that's just downright Apple-esque.

Also, I haven't seen them side by side, but I'd be surprised if the super IPS+ screen doesn't look the best. In a world where 15.6" laptops with 1366x768 resolution are the norm, can anyone really discern the difference between 1920x1080 and 2560x1600 on a 10.1" display?

Yeah, I'm torn between this and the Nexus10 myself...but it looks like the only place where the Nexus wins is screen resolution, which may not be as big of a deal. The reviews I saw had the TF700 outperforming the Nexus 10 in terms of speed and battery life...add those to the fact that you can get the TF700 for $50 LESS than the Nexus 10 (for the 32GB model), along with the ability to add more storage...it's making a VERY compelling argument for me. And while the Nexus 10 has 2GB of RAM, I'm not sure how much of an an impact that's really going to have.

I'm hoping to see the TF700 pop up somewhere that doesn't have sales tax in NY for the $400-$450 price point

don't forget TF700 has the capability to add a keyboard dock, that fits perfectly and doubles battery life.

Greens to tf700 lovers from a tf700
EDIT- Love my TF700.

On Google Play, 32GB Nexus 10 is $499 (and still "Coming Soon" as I write this - oops, refreshed, not it says "out of stock"). 16GB in stock for $399. Did I miss something here because a $449 TF700 seems like overall a better deal than a $499 Nexus 10 (again, unless you are obsessed about pixel density bragging rights.) Bottom line is earliest adopters get the worst value. Nexus will be on other retailers for less shortly I bet?

I've read two reviews that said it's close, but edge goes to TF700. Plus TF700 is convertible that can be turned into an ultrabook, no such option for Nexus. Most are gaga over Nexus because of pixel density higher than iPad 3. Reminds me of the megapixel wars of digital cams - (I have more pixels than you!) Big whoop. It will be at least a couple more years before things like websites are designed for anything higher thay 1024x768 / 1366x768. A 600x400 image on a web page looks not better on a higher resolution screen, you can't ADD detail to the original image! The ultra high res displays would make excellent super HD digital photo frames though! LOL. As for gaming, game might look better but the higher the resolution, the harder the GPU has to work, and usually the lower the max FPS.

From Engadget:

"In fact, other than a relative lack of resolution (1,920 x 1,200 vs. this guy's 2,560 x 1,600) the Transformer Pad Infinity TF700 is, we think, an overall better package. It's thinner, lighter, faster, has a much better camera, offers better battery life (particularly if you opt for the keyboard dock) and, frankly, we'd take the brightness and contrast of that 600 nit, Super IPS+ panel over this one with its extra pixels."

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/02/nexus-10-review/

In case, anybody else is seriously tempted by the Infinity: it is available at Amazon for $428 and TigerDirect for $429 (it also was $429 on Newegg yesterday but has since gone back up $449). That's the 32GB one in each case.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3415656
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TF700T-B1-GR-10-1-Inch-Tablet-Gray/dp/B008F4NL04/

At $428, it's hard not to like the TF700T versus the Nexus 10 32 gb. Decisions, decisions...

I picked up the 32GB from Newegg on Wednesday for $429, shipped free with no tax (to NY). I was torn between this and the Nexus 10, but the Nexus 10 would have added $14 shipping + tax, making it more expensive than the TF700. That kinda sealed the deal for me.

I own the TF700T and really like the packed ppi -- same Retina-quality as Apple's. I can't see pixels. But that's not what compelled me to post. The TF700T came with free Asus Webstorage which allows me to upload files to the cloud and also access my Windows 7 PC desktop at home. I use my home PC desktop screen at 1920x1080 resolution on my 1920x1200 TF700T. Yesterday I ran a full virus scan while at work and checking in via Webstorage remote pc from time to time. Next time I'll rip a DVD. I can now do long-running jobs at home without being home.

For those who own this tablet, how do you feel about build quality, overall speed, and I/O speed? I've read lots of negative things about those three aspects of the TF700... I'm tempted to jump on this...

Not sure where you read negative things -- I'm sure every device has them -- but if you point them out I could perhaps have a look. I've owned mine for 2 months with the optional keyboard so I use it like an ultra-book. Very light and I can walk around with it in one hand and coffee in the other.

I mostly watch Netflix on it -- no choppiness at all even in HD. I used to be a gamer so I downloaded and am playing Dead Trigger occasionally. It's a fps game like Far Cry. No dropped frames. I play Angry Birds and animation is smooth.

Build is elegant, IMO. Nice feel on keyboard, metal casing, glass, etc. Not sure what if anything else I can comment on.

All these I'm raving about are surprise extras to me. I bought it to carry my photography portfolio (hence I was shopping for retina-quality without going $Apple$) so I can show it around.

EDIT: With this sleek $17 leather case and $1 stylus, I look more like a polished executive than a starving artist.

vcarpio said:   Not sure where you read negative things -- I'm sure every device has them -- but if you point them out I could perhaps have a look.

xda-developers forums... The main negatives I have read about are:
- Sluggishness due to slow NAND flash memory (by far the most common complaint)
- Poor Wifi performance
- Light bleed
- Glass cracking when used with the dock (Asus refuses to cover this under warranty despite it being widespread)
- Black/Gray vertical lines randomly appearing across the screen

With all that being said, I just ordered one. If I have issues with it, it'll just go back.

magnafides said:   
xda-developers forums... The main negatives I have read about are:
- Sluggishness due to slow NAND flash memory (by far the most common complaint)
- Poor Wifi performance
- Light bleed
- Glass cracking when used with the dock (Asus refuses to cover this under warranty despite it being widespread)
- Black/Gray vertical lines randomly appearing across the screen

With all that being said, I just ordered one. If I have issues with it, it'll just go back.

I don't know the first (sluggishness) and the rest I didn't experience so I must have a great unit.

I use my wi-fi from the second floor farthest side of the house from the router on the first floor -- sorry I have to consult the house plan to give accurate distance -- but wi-fi is great. I watch Netflix np.

My only complaint is typing on the keyboard dock. The keyboard is too sensitive -- cursor jumps while I'm typing -- so I have to lift my palms in the air as I type. But my laptop is the same way, too so it's probably not unique to the TF700T.

I hope you get a good unit.

I ordered this item from Adorama.com on Wednesday and paid 20$ extra for 2 day shipping hoping to get it by Saturday and guess what??? THEY DIDNT EVEN SHIP IT TO UPS YET !!! When I called them they told me that I will not get it till Tuesday, that is 6 days after ordering !!! what is the point of buying online then?? Seriously will not consider this guys again, better off with Amazon!

I ended up buying this tab from Amazon, and it has some pretty bad light bleed on two edges so it's going back...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014