• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.harborfreight.com/generator-212cc-28003000-epa-69729....

coupon code for $40 off is , 14836696, This code is current and good til 03/13/2013 so this is still ongoing and not expired.

This product is manufactured by an American ally, South Africa vs the Champion Products which are manufactured by China,

http://www.harborfreight.com/checkout/cart/, not expired coupon code good for $40 off

Harbor Freight Tools
Need a Harbor Freight Tools coupon that earns 3.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

generator
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Now back to why I checked this thread. Today I received thru snail mail a HF ad with a super coupon for this @ $279.99 ... (more)

retrac (Dec. 03, 2012 @ 5:49p) |

Correct me if i'm wrong but I never saw mention of blue in your descriptions. From what i've read, the blue were Chicag... (more)

retrac (Dec. 03, 2012 @ 7:50p) |

Yeah, I'm not sure what his problem is, perhaps the mods need to look into his posts. He is clearly anti Champion for s... (more)

yakky (Dec. 04, 2012 @ 9:26a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

apply coupon code 96922911 for additional $10 off.

Cabela Champion for $319 with wheel kit/cover and free shipping is back in stock too, ordered this morning.

The product description doesn't match the product title. The OP's link appears to be for a 3000 peak-watt generator. This generator is 4000 watt peak (on back order).

For a few bucks more, the Cabela's deal gets you a 4000 watt peak generator with wheels and a cover.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1229947/

Is this a reliable brand?

The Cabela gen doesn't have a 240 receptacle therefor cannot run furnace

The thing about the Cabela's generator that sold me was, no tax and free shipping. Plus I got $25 off for signing up for the VISA card.

Tauger said:   The Cabela gen doesn't have a 240 receptacle therefor cannot run furnace
Most forced air natural gas furnaces are 110V

Theres no tax charged on the HF one either if its shipped to you as far as I know, The Cabelas is more to buy by $19,made in China vs these which are made by our allys in South Africa and as stated doesn't have the 240v receptacle. All indications from the folks that have purchased these say they are very good. Nowadays its hard to buy one that isn't for this price. I'm getting 1 as a backup as we have power outages here just for bad thunderstorms and a harsh winter is predicted for the south, think along the lines of ice storms here in Ga. We are due

CodeRunner02 said:   The product description doesn't match the product title. The OP's link appears to be for a 3000 peak-watt generator. This generator is 4000 watt peak (on back order).

For a few bucks more, the Cabela's deal gets you a 4000 watt peak generator with wheels and a cover.

3500 watt, 4000 peak, not true about product description it is as was stated in the add a 3000 watt, your deal is only 500 watts more, not enough to worry about in any situation that might arise, besides the other one is OOS

Predator 4000W Generator
Disclaimer
I bought the HF generator in the OP's post, last week for $289.00 It was a special price. It IS a 4000W generator, look at the specs. The description threw me off too. The unit is really quite nice. I filled it with full-synthetic 10w30 oil, a little gas and it fired right up after the carburetor bowl filled. I plugged everything I could find into it and it didn't even break a sweat. Just an initial load on the engine when the power load came on. After that first half second it leveled out and purred like a kitten. It was not very loud (has a muffler) and it didn't stink like a small engine usually does. It did not have any exhaust/gas smell whatsoever. It ran for about 30 minutes or so with about a cup of gas. I ran it out of gas to help with long term storage reliability. No wheels included, or cover but I didn't mind because I had a different plan for mine. I attached it to an old set of hand trucks with pneumatic tires, that coverts to a dolly configuration also. It also has an open area where my standby fuel cans can be stored, and transported WITH the generator. I'll keep at least 10 gallons of fuel on board. So this makes it very easy to wheel out of my shed and 100ft up a minor incline to the house when I need it, or just about anywhere else. The dolly also keeps it off the ground and out of wet grass, etc.

I'm still on the fence as to whether I should fill the generator tank with fuel and stabilizer. I'm not quite sure when I'll need it, but when I do, I expect it could be for a long period of time, and I would like to have as much fuel available as possible.

I was really impressed with the generator, and the quality. I wasn't expecting much out of a Chinese special, and from Harbor Freight. I was pleasantly surprised! With tax and $6.99 shipping it was right at $312.00. I feel it was a great deal, especially knowing how well it performed in my tests.

just my two cents!

anyone try the 20% off 1 item?
Coupon for November

nice price and decent reviews overall

When we had a week long power outage a couple of my neighbors bought gens from Hartbor. One never
started and the other was only putting out 105 volts.

I have a big Briggs and Straton I bought from Amazone sevveral years ago and with free ship, no tax,
and being on sale I came out very happy.

The neighbors eventuall got their money back after the ice storm was over.

jonesjeremya said:   I'm still on the fence as to whether I should fill the generator tank with fuel and stabilizer. I'm not quite sure when I'll need it, but when I do, I expect it could be for a long period of time, and I would like to have as much fuel available as possible.I have tried storing engines with stabilizer in the fuel and always seem to have trouble next time I try to start them (generator, snow blower, leaf/wood chipper - all things that sit for a long time). Now I drain the tank as much as I can after use, add a little stabilizer to what's left, start the engine and let it run until it is empty. Also, I never store gasoline more than a month in the fuel cans. I just pour whatever I'm storing into the cars and then fill the storage cans back up with fresh fuel. I've had equipment sit for two years this way, poured in fresh gas, and they start right up!

Pucknuts61 said:   anyone try the 20% off 1 item?
Coupon for November

You link seems broken for me, but the last two I've received have both excluded generators.

On a different subject, there was discussion of a propane/natural gas powered generator a while back. Would this not make more sense, given the trouble the people in the NE are having getting gasoline right now?

coupons no good on sale items usually,but you can try if necessary,from the reviews I have read it seems to be a decent unit and I'm p/u mine tomorrow and we'll see, just hope the weather here doesn't get raw tooooo early

Pucknuts61 said:   anyone try the 20% off 1 item?
Coupon for November

All the ones I found specifically excluded generators. I even had a 25% off, it wouldn't work either.

dcwilbur said:   jonesjeremya said:   I'm still on the fence as to whether I should fill the generator tank with fuel and stabilizer. I'm not quite sure when I'll need it, but when I do, I expect it could be for a long period of time, and I would like to have as much fuel available as possible.I have tried storing engines with stabilizer in the fuel and always seem to have trouble next time I try to start them (generator, snow blower, leaf/wood chipper - all things that sit for a long time). Now I drain the tank as much as I can after use, add a little stabilizer to what's left, start the engine and let it run until it is empty. Also, I never store gasoline more than a month in the fuel cans. I just pour whatever I'm storing into the cars and then fill the storage cans back up with fresh fuel. I've had equipment sit for two years this way, poured in fresh gas, and they start right up!

Well you've sure had more trouble than I have in the past. Maybe it's the climate. I'm in the south and we don't have VERY cold winters here. Summers are HOT and humid. I leave all my gas yard equipment gassed up over the winter. Riding mower, push mower, edger, weed trimmer, pressure washer, you name it. At the end of boating season I also top off the boat and fill with stabilizer. I was always told it was better to be topped off than empty due to condensation and internal rusting of bare steel tanks. With that said, I also turn off flow valves, if they're present, and attempt to seal off the tank so no air can enter or escape. I think that is the key part.

I think I'll try gassing it up over this winter and give it a go in the spring if the generator not needed over the winter. It's easy enough to empty the tank if I end up with bad gas.

Thanks for your suggestion.

This looks like a nice generator and very comparable to the one at Cabela's for $320. The difference is the warranties, one has a 90 day and the other is 2 year. It all depends if you feel the 2 year warranty is worth the $20.

If you are interested in a generator like these and want a push button remote start/stop keep an eye on the one at Cabela's for $539, that will probably be on sale again for $429.

Watch for the Aldi version of this... with a few fewer watts. From time-to-time for $229. http://aldi.us/us/html/offers/2827_18679_ENU_HTML.htm
I bought one and was happy. Sold it for more than original price.

Not to thread crap, abut I just saw a Black Max brand with a Honda engine at Sams Club today. I think it was 3600 max and 3200 running. I think it had a 3 yr. warranty and its big brother has good reviews online. It was either 299 or 399. Definiatly more money but with a Honda engine and a longer warranty, some might want to look at it. Thanks OP.

Update, I just called the local store and the price is $299. Also I think the wattage is 4500 high and 3650 running. This might be a better deal. It,s not online though, I just saw it in the Provo, UT store. good luck.

As I mentioned earlier there are some very good generator deals/sources at www.Hurricanedeals.com

Not to thread crap , but I think you can't find replacements parts for HF stuff and other off brand generator . Might consider that as well .

cloose said:   Not to thread crap, abut I just saw a Black Max brand with a Honda engine at Sams Club today. I think it was 3600 max and 3200 running. I think it had a 3 yr. warranty and its big brother has good reviews online. It was either 299 or 399. Definiatly more money but with a Honda engine and a longer warranty, some might want to look at it. Thanks OP.

Update, I just called the local store and the price is $299. Also I think the wattage is 4500 high and 3650 running. This might be a better deal. It,s not online though, I just saw it in the Provo, UT store. good luck.

If the engine is a Honda this is the deal of the century and if I lived in Provo I would buy everyone in stock...

Is this the generator?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/black-max-3-650-watt-portable-gas-g...

Without the Honda engine this is still a good deal and perfect for most homes in an emergency outage. I would have seriously considered this if I didn't buy the champion.

Okay, I have known what the deal is about. Thanks OP. The deal works for me.

kjdiver said:   cloose said:   Not to thread crap, abut I just saw a Black Max brand with a Honda engine at Sams Club today. I think it was 3600 max and 3200 running. I think it had a 3 yr. warranty and its big brother has good reviews online. It was either 299 or 399. Definiatly more money but with a Honda engine and a longer warranty, some might want to look at it. Thanks OP.

If the engine is a Honda this is the deal of the century and if I lived in Provo I would buy everyone in stock...

Is this the generator?

Without the Honda engine this is still a good deal and perfect for most homes in an emergency outage. I would have seriously considered this if I didn't buy the champion.

Not in stock anywhere on east coast

CodeRunner02 said:   The product description doesn't match the product title. The OP's link appears to be for a 3000 peak-watt generator. This generator is 4000 watt peak (on back order).

Thanks OP, in for one.
I tried getting the Cabela's deal, but they don't ship to California.

hammer45 said:   kjdiver said:   cloose said:   Not to thread crap, abut I just saw a Black Max brand with a Honda engine at Sams Club today. I think it was 3600 max and 3200 running. I think it had a 3 yr. warranty and its big brother has good reviews online. It was either 299 or 399. Definiatly more money but with a Honda engine and a longer warranty, some might want to look at it. Thanks OP.

Is this the generator?

Not in stock anywhere on east coast

Yes I think it is the same one. It seems that now after the storm, all are sold out but I read a review on Amazon I think and a guy said he just bought one before the storm and it worked great for him. He didn't say what state he lived in though. They also have a deal now through Nov. 9 that if you buy 200 or more and use thir credit card, you will get a $10 statement credit within 60 days bringing the price down to $289 before tax. Even better, yeah!!!!

gendos said:   Not to thread crap , but I think you can't find replacements parts for HF stuff and other off brand generator . Might consider that as well .

They have a fulll service dept at the manufacturer in Camarillo, Cali, read the manual as they have 2 seperate depts to order replacement parts from if necessary. I have a feeling these will sell out quickly.Its Soth African made and distributed by Harbor Freight vs the chinese junk Champion is peddling, not a bad generator from all I have seen, tho I might consider the extended warranty for the extra $20 on this for 2 yrs more.

woowoo2 said:   Tauger said:   The Cabela gen doesn't have a 240 receptacle therefor cannot run furnace
Most forced air natural gas furnaces are 110V

Oil and Natural Gas furnaces (or Propane) use 110V to ignite the fuel, run zone valves and pumps (or fans)

Some forced hot air furnaces, like those found in garages use 240V as electricity is their only heat source.

You can also get an extra level of backup security with a kit that allows any gasoline generator engine to burn three fuels (Gasoline, Propane or Natural Gas).

Here is just one such kit

Tri Fuel Conversion

dcwilbur said:   jonesjeremya said:   I'm still on the fence as to whether I should fill the generator tank with fuel and stabilizer. I'm not quite sure when I'll need it, but when I do, I expect it could be for a long period of time, and I would like to have as much fuel available as possible.I have tried storing engines with stabilizer in the fuel and always seem to have trouble next time I try to start them (generator, snow blower, leaf/wood chipper - all things that sit for a long time). Now I drain the tank as much as I can after use, add a little stabilizer to what's left, start the engine and let it run until it is empty. Also, I never store gasoline more than a month in the fuel cans. I just pour whatever I'm storing into the cars and then fill the storage cans back up with fresh fuel. I've had equipment sit for two years this way, poured in fresh gas, and they start right up!

How do your fuel lines hold up to this treatment? Is the equipment you store dry in the cold over the winter? Some of mine, leaf blower & weed eater are stored empty and the fuel lines get extremely brittle. I'm wondering if storing w/ fuel & stabilizer could mitigate that dry rot?

jonesjeremya said:   Pucknuts61 said:   anyone try the 20% off 1 item?
Coupon for November

All the ones I found specifically excluded generators. I even had a 25% off, it wouldn't work either.

HF $40 off generators coupon code:

Disclaimer: Last checked the Sunday before Sandy and it worked. No idea if it still does.

LegalLurker said:   jonesjeremya said:   Pucknuts61 said:   anyone try the 20% off 1 item?
Coupon for November

HF $40 off generators coupon code:

Disclaimer: Last checked the Sunday before Sandy and it worked. No idea if it still does.

That one no worky either

jonesjeremya said:   I bought the HF generator in the OP's post, last week for $289.00 It was a special price. It IS a 4000W generator, look at the specs. The description threw me off too.

Sorry but the unit is a 3.2KW unit and NOT a 4KW as you have stated. generators are rated based upon "rated" watts and not "surge" watts. This generator is rated at 3.2 KW with 4KW surge watts. This will limit what/how much you can run off theunit.

I extracted this from the B&S website:

"The rated (running) wattage of a generator is the amount of power the unit is able to produce continuously.

The surge (starting) wattage is the amount of power the generator can produce for a very limited period of time, such as the short burst of power required to start a motor-powered item."

Tanner said:   How do your fuel lines hold up to this treatment? Is the equipment you store dry in the cold over the winter? Some of mine, leaf blower & weed eater are stored empty and the fuel lines get extremely brittle. I'm wondering if storing w/ fuel & stabilizer could mitigate that dry rot?I haven't had fuel lines deteriorate. The gear is stored in an unheated outbuilding or the unheated garage.

DUDSTER said:   jonesjeremya said:   I bought the HF generator in the OP's post, last week for $289.00 It was a special price. It IS a 4000W generator, look at the specs. The description threw me off too.

Sorry but the unit is a 3.2KW unit and NOT a 4KW as you have stated. generators are rated based upon "rated" watts and not "surge" watts. This generator is rated at 3.2 KW with 4KW surge watts. This will limit what/how much you can run off theunit.

"The rated (running) wattage of a generator is the amount of power the unit is able to produce continuously.

The surge (starting) wattage is the amount of power the generator can produce for a very limited period of time, such as the short burst of power required to start a motor-powered item."

You must have missed some of this thread. I was not specifically replying to the OP, but to a comment a rows few down:
The product description doesn't match the product title. The OP's link appears to be for a 3000 peak-watt generator. This generator is 4000 watt peak (on back order).For a few bucks more, the Cabela's deal gets you a 4000 watt peak generator with wheels and a cover.http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1229947/Text

I was simply stating the fact that this was a 4000w peakText generator, as the conflicting post in italics above suggested it wasn't. I was stating apples to apples facts, and a statement about the Harbor Freight generator that was incorrect. I, as with most folks here talking about generators understand the nominal rated expectation of a $300 generator. I was not suggesting this was a 4000w rated generator.

dcwilbur said:   Tanner said:   How do your fuel lines hold up to this treatment? Is the equipment you store dry in the cold over the winter? Some of mine, leaf blower & weed eater are stored empty and the fuel lines get extremely brittle. I'm wondering if storing w/ fuel & stabilizer could mitigate that dry rot?I haven't had fuel lines deteriorate. The gear is stored in an unheated outbuilding or the unheated garage.

I too can say the same. Other than a weed trimmer, that was already WAY past it's time, no line rot issues. I have had a primer bulb or two go bad, but that's expected over years of use. The last guy I spoke to about it, he does small engine repair on the side, says ever since 10% ethanol became common place, fuel line degradation has been on the increase.

jonesjeremya said:   DUDSTER said:   jonesjeremya said:   I bought the HF generator in the OP's post, last week for $289.00 It was a special price. It IS a 4000W generator, look at the specs. The description threw me off too.

You must have missed some of this thread. I was not specifically replying to the OP, but to a comment a rows few down:
The product description doesn't match the product title. The OP's link appears to be for a 3000 peak-watt generator. This generator is 4000 watt peak (on back order).For a few bucks more, the Cabela's deal gets you a 4000 watt peak generator with wheels and a cover.http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1229947/Text

I was simply stating the fact that this was a 4000w peakText generator, as the conflicting post in italics above suggested it wasn't. I was stating apples to apples facts, and a statement about the Harbor Freight generator that was incorrect. I, as with most folks here talking about generators understand the nominal rated expectation of a $300 generator. I was not suggesting this was a 4000w rated generator.

And to further my statement that this is a PEAK 4000w unit. I have real world experience with my HF generator, and have applied 2000 watts of halogen flood work lights, a 1200w space heater and a hand held 3" grinder, simultaneously. As I stated in my original post, the generator handled it all with ease. I estimate this was about 3500 watts or so, and the generator didn't even flinch. Based on my tests and the performance from the unit, I would expect the generator to handle the 4000w surge or peak, with no problems.

OK, I have mine outside running for the break-in period, a few things 1 its fairly quiet,2. It has 5 outlets vs 3 on the champion,4 120v and 1 240v. 3. It has a 6 gallon gas tank vs 4 on the champion so you get longer run time between refilling. You could buy the extra wheels etc, but a threaded rod and a coupla holes and a pair of inexpensice wheels take care of that issue. Overall I'm very pleased so far and will continue to monitor its break-in period under light loads for now and see what cooks up. This to me seems far beter deal than the Cabela's as it will need less refueling, has more outlets and while its is not the 3500 the champion is rated at it is 3200 with a max at 4000 same as the champion for initial startups. I don't know why folks keep harping on that issue. It was never mentioned in the op that is was anything more than being $299 + $6.99 shippin. Very pleased as I stated so far and look forward to using it later on after break-in, fairly light as I can lift it easily into the back of my P/U Truck

Skipping 93 Messages...
retrac said:   comprx said:   buster2 said:   Nope mine has a z.a. on it and isn't red its blue in color,last blue one they had before the new ones,HF doesn't own any generator company, they are a distributor, the chinese ones are yellow like Champions,lolThanks for the answer, and for the red for asking a straightforward question. And you're wrong on the color of the Chinese ones -- they're red, at least in my store, lol.buster2 had been combative with me Nov 10 when I proved Cabela had online stock available when s/he touted none were at the time.

Yeah, I'm not sure what his problem is, perhaps the mods need to look into his posts. He is clearly anti Champion for some reason, though he won't share it other than saying they are made in China.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014