• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
VM had it priced at $249 until last month, the price has since gone back up to $299. RadioShack/BB is likely to have this phone onsale as well soon at around $250. However since Amazon is tax-free for most people it is a good deal if you are looking to buy right now. Given Amazon's excellent customer service, you can always price match or return if/when VM runs a special on this phone in the next few weeks, such as the massive Cyber Monday sale they had last year.

Amazon Link

Amazon
Get Up to 5.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Virgin Mobile
See Virgin Mobile discounts that earn $17.50 FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

pic (15.09kB)
Thanks bombaw8
Disclaimer

Evo 4G (15.09kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:

RadioShack had this phone for $229 for over a month. I'd say the phone is definitely worth $250, but I would probably try to hold off for a sale. Last year, VM had a crazy 50% off BF sale on phones.

I'm waiting on a new BF deal from VM. I got my Triumph last year for 1/2 price plus FW CB.

VM itself had a sale for a web exclusive 20% a few times that brought it down to $239.99, so I'll hold off. But like the others I am waiting to see if they offer a nice 50% BF sale. Though, at the same time I'm on the fence about getting this phone, since I'll lose my grandfathered $25 for upgrading...which at that point the T-Mobile $30 plan looks more tempting with the purchase of an unlocked nexus 4 direct from the google play store. Costs more right now, but maybe google will have a BF sale on their newest nexus phone...plus the advantage of being unlocked without carrier bloatware is a nice plus...

jochoki said:   VM itself had a sale for a web exclusive 20% a few times that brought it down to $239.99, so I'll hold off. But like the others I am waiting to see if they offer a nice 50% BF sale. Though, at the same time I'm on the fence about getting this phone, since I'll lose my grandfathered $25 for upgrading...which at that point the T-Mobile $30 plan looks more tempting with the purchase of an unlocked nexus 4 direct from the google play store. Costs more right now, but maybe google will have a BF sale on their newest nexus phone...plus the advantage of being unlocked without carrier bloatware is a nice plus...

Exactly, I will sell my Evo V once the Nexus 4 is in my hand... Though I can't imagine Google having any sale on the Nexus 4 since it's already so cheap, and it's just announced...

The Evo V itself is pretty decent, although a bit thick/heavy to my taste. It's the VM coverage that's killing me. don't get 4G here (but forced to switch to the $35/month plan), and 3G speed is not that great either. ;(

i'm banking on the BF sale as well, but will get this from Amazon now counting on price drop/match in the next few weeks. didn't bite on the earlier $239 deals because of the tax (not wanting to tinker with those shady top-up card web sites) and didn't want to jump too early so would be out of return period if/when the BF deal comes around.

as for TMO $30 plan i am in the same boat as you with VM grandfather plan. the nexus 4 certainly tip the balance a bit, however i find myself using around 150+ minutes most month, so $ wise they would be the same in the end with the overage charge on tmo. not having used Tmo before i am unwilling to risk it or deal with the number porting again. i havn't had problem with VM's voice/txt coverage even with a bit travel, however the dog slow data is infuriating at times. not enough for me to go through the hassle of switching yet though...

btw, Nexus 4 is certainly a very nice phone, but I wonder do I really need what it has over the evo 3d? itís like asking myself do I really have to have a V8 supercharger for my 15 mile commute when a 4banger is doing just fine?

bombaw8 said:   
as for TMO $30 plan i am in the same boat as you with VM grandfather plan. the nexus 4 certainly tip the balance a bit, however i find myself using around 150+ minutes most month, so $ wise they would be the same in the end with the overage charge on tmo. not having used Tmo before i am unwilling to risk it or deal with the number porting again. i havn't had problem with VM's voice/txt coverage even with a bit travel, however the dog slow data is infuriating at times. not enough for me to go through the hassle of switching yet though...

btw, Nexus 4 is certainly a very nice phone, but I wonder do I really need what it has over the evo 3d? itís like asking myself do I really have to have a V8 supercharger for my 15 mile commute when a 4banger is doing just fine?

I probably use about 150 minutes a month myself...however I've recently experimented/started using google voice with the sipdroid application. Both are free apps. since google voice normally uses your minutes to make outgoing calls, sipdroid acts a middleman to make the use of your google voice as data. I think I get an additional 2500 minutes from the use of sipdroid. I don't know the full details, so you'll need to google more to look into.

from personal experimentation, the sipdroid/google voice option works perfectly fine on wifi (home) and has about a 2 second delay in conversations when I'm on the rode driving on 3g. with the speeds of 4g (nonLTE), I would assume that the delay would get considerably smaller or be close enough to wifi for the intent of phone calls. If that's the case, the 100 minutes isn't too limiting and I wouldn't incur any additional overage charges.

as for the perks of the nexus 4, it's just a stronger phone in terms of performance (probably not needed), but for simple games like angry birds, my current optimus v struggles at later stages, whereas my tablet had no issues, so the extra performance would be worthwhile for me. also, another major aspect that leans me towards the nexus is the fact that if you get it from google, it's easily unlockable (source code is readily available from google), so in terms of custom roms, it's easier to come by, but more importantly, it lacks all the regular carrier bloatware (which tends to be why I root my phone and flash the simplest custom rom available for my phone). my optimus v came preloaded with all of VM's random places, music, ringtone, whatever apps, that just took up space and was annoying to look at.

yes. i have played with voip back when i first came to pre-paid 2-3 years ago. it works but was a hassle. i especially disliked having to ask caller to hang up so i can call back on voip to save minutes. compounded with the unreliable 3g on VM it was just not working for me. If I were somewhere with reliable data connection/wifi i could easily have used a land line.

I also didnít like the fact of using voip outgoing it would show the GV number instead of my cell number on caller id. Although that might be resolved with some of the newer apps such as Vonage.

In the end I think the decision between tmo and vm comes down to how important is it for you to HAVE to have fast data all the time and how much hassle you are willing to go through for a better phone. I donít need 7mbps data all the time on the phone, and hardware wise, i think the gap between 1 year old and brand new phone is much narrower than before. The difference between N4 and EVO3d is certainly nothing like the differences between evo3d and say Ė optimus V. it would be hard to find a game or app today that could run N4 but not on evo3d.

so for me at $250 or even cheaper, i'd be happy to stay with VM and evo.

With that said I am glad we are finally having some real choices of phones at reasonable price without bending over for the big post-paid carriers. As little as a year ago some fools were still insisting that it would not possible to make and sell good phones/tablets at anything less than the Iphone/ipad price points. i guess they are still out there, seeing how some were willing to pay $650 for iphone on VM.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014