• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Newegg has an Acer Aspire V3 Laptop featuring an AMD A8-4500M Trinity APU (CPU) with a discrete 7670GPU for $499.99 shipped. Link to Item. What makes this hot? The A8-4500M is the 2nd fastest mobile AMD processor and itself contains a fast internal GPU (although not as powerful as the A10-4600m). However, this notebook also has a discrete Radeon 1gb 7670GPU. This setup will allow the gpu in the A8-4500m to work in parallel with the discrete GPU (known as Crossfire) for even faster graphics performance. Dual GPUs in a notebook at this price is rare and makes for a great deal for a value priced gaming machine. Newegg actually sells the same laptop sans discrete 7670GPU for the same price (Best Buy had it for $430 w/out the 7670dgpu (previous posted as a Hot Deal (link) but is no longer available (it was until a few days ago)).

This is a great machine for a general computing laptop that can also provide a good gaming experience (graphic/gaming performance will far surpass any Intel equipped notebook that doesn't have a dedicated GPU (since graphic performance of the A8-4500M w/out dGPU is on par with Intel's integrated HD4000 that is part of Intel's Ivy Bridge laptop chips).

I have the Acer from Best Buy and find it to be an excellent machine with a sturdy build. I also recently acquired an HP DV6Z-7000 that has an A10-4600m + 7670dGPU. The HP's build is not as sturdy as the Acer and the HP has an overly aggressive fan rate (fan won't stop running and is always audible - the Acer fan rarely kicks in & when it does during normal usage (non-gaming) it's inaudible). The crossfire performance with the dual GPUs is excellent though which is why this is a hot deal. I'm actually tempted to return my HP (~$750 after 30% coupon) for this Acer but don't want to give up the 1080p panel, A10-4600M, & extra 9-cell battery I have with the HP (overall a good deal for a 1080p notebook).

Other Specs for Acer Aspire V3-551G-8454 Notebook
CPU: AMD A8-4500M Trinity APU (1.9GHz) w/Turbo
Discrete Graphics: AMD Radeon 7670GPU 1GB Dedicated Video Card
RAM: 4gb DDR3
Panel: 15.6" 1366x768 LED backlight & Acer CineCrystal Technology
Hard Drive: 500gb 5400rpm
Optical Drive: DVD Super Multi
OS: Windows 8 (install Classic Shell & turn your Windows 8 experience into a Windows 7 experience)
Weight: 5.74lbs
Network: Gigabit LAN & 802.11b/g/n(dual 2.4gb & 5ghz - at least it is on the Best Buy version I own)
Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 4.0+HS
Model: V3-551G-8454
Part#: NX.M0AAA.003

Newegg
See Newegg promo codes that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Trinity A8-4500M
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Great thanks for the advice, I will wait for the laptop to come in mid this week and will look into the best option

wex101 (Nov. 25, 2012 @ 7:58p) |

Just an FYI, they do not offer returns on computers bought through eBay. I ordered a lappy from Newegg @ eBay and a bet... (more)

elektronic (Nov. 25, 2012 @ 8:32p) |

on the edge.. but i think i'll wait until my current laptop dies.. the thing with tech toys is that they just get cheape... (more)

eversavage (Nov. 26, 2012 @ 4:12a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Great deal, this is a nice Lappy & Newegg is a good egg. Green for OP.

polishdreamer said:   Great deal, this is a nice Lappy & Newegg is a good egg. Green for OP.

So why is this AMD laptop a good deal and this one not?

GudSpellur said:   polishdreamer said:   Great deal, this is a nice Lappy & Newegg is a good egg. Green for OP.

$130 + ~$35 tax = $160 less, 7670 G video card in this one is far superior to the 7670 G.

polishdreamer said:   GudSpellur said:   polishdreamer said:   Great deal, this is a nice Lappy & Newegg is a good egg. Green for OP.

$130 + ~$35 tax = $160 less, 7670 G video card in this one is far superior to the 7670 G.

But in the other thread you wrote:

"Change the title to AMD first, so we can spare ourselves from reading this."

Which makes it obvious that you do not like AMD CPU's.

This is $160 less (per above). The HP only has the integrated GPU (7660). The Acer has the integrated GPU (7640) and a 7670 dedicated GPU. You'll get significantly faster performance given the crossfire of the two GPU's working in parallel. You can google dv6z-7000 crossfire and you'll find several forums comparing benchmarks of the crossfire performance vs. the igpu alone. I can also attest to the enhanced performance of the crossfire having recently played some games/run benchmarks with just the igpu of the A10(7660) vs. the A10 igpu(7660) + 7670dgpu in crossfire.

Note: It is true that the A10-4600m igpu (7660) is superior to the A8-4500m igpu (7640), but the crossfire of the 7640+7670 will more than make up the difference between the A10's 7660igpu & the A8's 7640igpu.

GudSpellur said:   polishdreamer said:   GudSpellur said:   polishdreamer said:   Great deal, this is a nice Lappy & Newegg is a good egg. Green for OP.

But in the other thread you wrote:

"Change the title to AMD first, so we can spare ourselves from reading this."

Which makes it obvious that you do not like AMD CPU's.

This as a total package makes it a hot deal, yes I do not like AMD but this computer will really rock for the dollar. That's why this is called hot deals & not medium deals.

chris431 said:   This is $160 less (per above). The HP only has the integrated GPU. The Acer has the integrated GPU (7640) and a 7670 dedicated GPU. You'll get significantly faster performance given the crossfire of the two GPU's working in parallel. You can google dv6z-7000 crossfire and you'll find several forums comparing benchmarks of the crossfire performance vs. the igpu alone). I can also attest to the enhanced performance of the crossfire having recently played some games/run benchmarks with just the igpu of the A10(7660) vs. the A10 igpu(7660) + 7670dgpu in crossfire.

Note: It is true that the A10-4600m igpu (7660) is superior to the A8-4500m igpu (7670), but the crossfire of the 7640+7670 will more than make up the difference between the A10's 7660igpu & the A8's 7640igpu.

This can be used as a gaming computer that will really do a great job & cost less than the others, so everything being equal it has much more upside.

In for one, thanks. This will actually be my first laptop....never even used one. Went straight from PC to tablets, and still have both.....I guess it's time to see what the fuss is all about, lol.

Newegg is selling them on fleabay for the same price as well. Might allow you to save some money on tax.

Lenovo
Disclaimer
I am surprised that no one know this Frys deal(since last frieday).
$479.99 Lenovo Z585 ,AMD A10-4600, 15.6" Screen Display, Notebook With 6GB memory, 750GB Hard Drive, W7 Home Premium

http://www.frys.com/product/7162082?site=sa:adpages%20page:P1_FR...

Don't forget to get the "amddriverdownloader.exe" from AMD web site.
I can run "Borderland 2" game smoothly in 1920x1200 resolution with A6-3400m Gateway notebook.

b16899 said:   I am surprised that no one know this Frys deal(since last frieday).
$479.99 Lenovo Z585 ,AMD A10-4600, 15.6" Screen Display, Notebook With 6GB memory, 750GB Hard Drive, W7 Home Premium

http://www.frys.com/product/7162082?site=sa:adpages%20page:P1_FR...

Intregrated graphics ?? Do you guys not understand why this is hot??

I have purchased a number of Acer laptops in the past few years for home use and work use (myself and others). They have all been great. I am working on a V3-571G-6602 now as a desktop replacement. It is a great laptop. I would definitely consider this one if I need a machine.

I picked one up. Thanks for posting this.

Garhart13 said:   Newegg is selling them on fleabay for the same price as well. Might allow you to save some money on tax.Ebay link

Newegg's eBay policy:

"Seller charges sales tax for items shipped to: CA(7.25%), NJ*(7.0%), TN*(9.25%).
* Tax applies to subtotal + S&H for these states only"

However, I think Newegg.com only has 1.5% CB on laptops. eBay does 2% in eBay bucks. Might be worth it if you shop there a lot.

Take note, the resolution is 1366 x 768.

Needless to say, the title Apire is wrong, Acer only own it's product line with Acer Aspire/

bettle said:   Take note, the resolution is 1366 x 768.

How much more would a 1920 X 1080 cost for this, $300 more with other uneeded options forced on you ? I haven't seen a 1080 P laptop under $800 yet, I got one because I pulled return threat on D3ll to get it for $786.

Just bought a Lenovo Z570 with 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 3000, 750GB HD for $459. How does this compare? I figure the extra RAM should help boost the performance a bit but not on the video card comparison.

As for the screen, yeah, it's very tempting to get 1080p. Once you had high res in the past, you can never go back.

If you intend to do any type of gaming, return the Z570. There's simply no comparison. The A8-4500M iGPU alone is significantly faster than the Intel HD3000. In crossfire with the dgpu of the Acer, you're probably talking 3-4 times faster than the HD3000. At bottom, you're unlikely to be able to 3d game much on the HD3000. On the Acer you should be able to play most modern games with no problem.

4gb vs. 8gb is still, to this day, debatable for standard usage (internet, office work, gaming, basic photo & video tasks). For the most part, 4gb is still more than sufficient. Besides, ram is cheap. You can get 2x4gb (8gb total) of DDR3-1600 for $30-40 (which I recommend anyone buying the Acer do so that the unit runs in dual channel mode which gives performance a huge boost and DDR3-1600 which also provides a nice boost due to the nature of the APU sharing memory bandwidth between the CPU and APU).

At bottom, the Lenovo offers fine office task & day to day computing performance - as does nearly any modern PC (CPU's are mostly overkill for most tasks at this stage). However, the Lenovo will be limited to such tasks as the Intel HD3000 is just ill-equipped to handle any type of minimally demanding 3d gaming. OTOH, the Acer has no such limitations. In addition, the AMD APU/GPU is more future proof as it supports a new trend in coding to offload certain tasks (other than standard 3d rendering) to the GPU resulting in performance that a CPU simply can't touch (google opencl if you are interested). The Intel will not support this.

For both units, replace the hard drive with an SSD. It'll make both systems significantly more responsive (& quieter b/c the hard drives are the loudest component in most laptops - except the Lenovo I had (2 of them) which had horrible fans that were quite loud (not sure if that applies to your Lenovo b/c Lenovo uses different types of fans for different laptops).

Hope this helps.

Yes, very helpful, thanks. I'm not a gamer but I do ocassional photoshop so not sure how much a benefit I will get from the Acer.

I find a lot of the touchpad and button almost unusable. How are they are this laptop? Specifically, do you get get jumps and are the buttons hard to press? The buttons on my Z570 you need to press it hard and almost to the point hurting.

How would you rate the screen? Even with the same resolution, I see some screens are better than others in terms of brightness and sharpness.

chris431 said:   If you intend to do any type of gaming, return the Z570. There's simply no comparison. The A8-4500M iGPU alone is significantly faster than the Intel HD3000. In crossfire with the dgpu of the Acer, you're probably talking 3-4 times faster than the HD3000. At bottom, you're unlikely to be able to 3d game much on the HD3000. On the Acer you should be able to play most modern games with no problem.

4gb vs. 8gb is still, to this day, debatable for standard usage (internet, office work, gaming, basic photo & video tasks). For the most part, 4gb is still more than sufficient. Besides, ram is cheap. You can get 2x4gb (8gb total) of DDR3-1600 for $30-40 (which I recommend anyone buying the Acer do so that the unit runs in dual channel mode which gives performance a huge boost and DDR3-1600 which also provides a nice boost due to the nature of the APU sharing memory bandwidth between the CPU and APU).

At bottom, the Lenovo offers fine office task & day to day computing performance - as does nearly any modern PC (CPU's are mostly overkill for most tasks at this stage). However, the Lenovo will be limited to such tasks as the Intel HD3000 is just ill-equipped to handle any type of minimally demanding 3d gaming. OTOH, the Acer has no such limitations. In addition, the AMD APU/GPU is more future proof as it supports a new trend in coding to offload certain tasks (other than standard 3d rendering) to the GPU resulting in performance that a CPU simply can't touch (google opencl if you are interested). The Intel will not support this.

For both units, replace the hard drive with an SSD. It'll make both systems significantly more responsive (& quieter b/c the hard drives are the loudest component in most laptops - except the Lenovo I had (2 of them) which had horrible fans that were quite loud (not sure if that applies to your Lenovo b/c Lenovo uses different types of fans for different laptops).

Hope this helps.

Funny you ask about the touchpad. Yesterday I was using both the Acer and my HP and commented on how much more I liked the Acer touchpad. A very responsive touchpad that has a good feel to the texture of the pad.

I can't really judge the panel as I've never really paid attention to laptop panels enough to critique them (except the 1080p panel on my laptop but that's an unfair comparison - it's 1080p & an IPS panel). The Acer panel is your standard 1366x768 panel. Nothing stands out either way. It's clearly a TN panel (as I'm sure your Lenovo is).

I previously had two Lenovos (with A10-4600m) within the last month or so (I returned them both). The quality of the Acer is much better (I'm actually impressed by the build quality of the Acer - makes my HP feel cheap). Although I wasn't paying too close attention, I would say the panels are similar as well.

optical said:   Yes, very helpful, thanks. I'm not a gamer but I do ocassional photoshop so not sure how much a benefit I will get from the Acer.

Check out these benchmarks comparing photoshop using OpenGL (gpu) vs. standard. The AMD A8-4500M APU blows away the Intel i5. Disregard the keys in the charts - they are switched around (as evidenced by expectations as well as the discussion in the text. There are also other programs compared so it gives you some idea about the potential benefits as more programs begin to take advantage of offloading to the gpu.

The OpenCL benchmark comparisons are equally revealing in demonstrating the significant advantages to offloading certain processes to the gpu. Link here.

That's about as good a deal as I've seen on a gaming laptop.

Teensy screen, but you are probably gonna hook it up to the TV at home or in a hotel anyway.

If it weren't for your good deal description, I would have skipped this over soley based on the A8-4500M processor. The whole AMD vs. Intel is very confusing because it's not apple-to-apple comparison so I often think AMD is more inferior in general but a bit cheaper. I really want a higher resolution bad but I don't want to spend the $ and even at the $800 mark, you still lack other features so it's a constant struggle.

You almost convinced me enough to pull the trigger but don't know if I should wait it out for BF deals. But then again, BF laptop deals are always the base models.

Should I pull the trigger???

chris431 said:   optical said:   Yes, very helpful, thanks. I'm not a gamer but I do ocassional photoshop so not sure how much a benefit I will get from the Acer.

Check out these benchmarks comparing photoshop using OpenGL (gpu) vs. standard. The AMD A8-4500M APU blows away the Intel i5. Disregard the keys in the charts - they are switched around (as evidenced by expectations as well as the discussion in the text. There are also other programs compared so it gives you some idea about the potential benefits as more programs begin to take advantage of offloading to the gpu.

optical,

Thanks for the kind words. I would pull the trigger. I've looked over the Black Friday ads & see nothing comparable for the price. It really is a solid deal for a very versatile laptop that meets a wide area of needs (which is what AMD is targeting with the APU - the dual graphics is just icing on the cake). If I didn't have the HP, I'd have bought this unit immediately. Even with my HP, I'm almost regretting not returning it.

chris431 said:   optical,

Thanks for the kind words. I would pull the trigger. I've looked over the Black Friday ads & see nothing comparable for the price. It really is a solid deal for a very versatile laptop that meets a wide area of needs (which is what AMD is targeting with the APU - the dual graphics is just icing on the cake). If I didn't have the HP, I'd have bought this unit immediately. Even with my HP, I'm almost regretting not returning it.

This laptop will be last an extra year on the versatility of the video card, extending a typical trade-up cycle.

Chris:

Can you post your Windows Experience Index Score here?

Thanks!

bettle said:   Take note, the resolution is 1366 x 768.

Seems to me, this is a gaming laptop. People who game on their laptops are either:

A.) On the go, having a quick game or
B.) Having a good session, with monitor, gaming KB/mouse and other peripherals attached.

Just... from my experience. As a long time gamer, with 2 gaming laptops.

The resolution means little, the laptop screen is for your quick fix.

optical said:   Chris:

Can you post your Windows Experience Index Score here?

Thanks!

WEI does not take crossfire into account so my score would be no different than a typical A10-4600m. However, below are a bunch of benchmarks with various configs for the A8-4500M and the A10-4600M. First thing that stands out: You MUST run these APU's in dual memory configurations. It makes a huge difference. Secondly, the A10-4600m certainly has a faster iGPU but not significantly so (although in 3dMark Vantage the gap widens). Lastly, crossfire provides a big boost in performance.

Acer A8-4500m (no dgpu, just the igp of the apu). Its WEI is as follows:
Processor: 6.7
Memory: 7.3 (DDR3-1600mhz Cas9; 2x4gb)
Graphics: 4.5
Gaming Graphics: 6.2
Primary hard disk: 7.8 (SSD)

A10-4600m (HP dv6z-7000; has a dgpu but WEI ignores this & runs on the APU) Its WEI is as follows::
Processor: 6.9
Memory: 7.3 (DDR3-1600mhz Cas9; 2x4gb)
Graphics: 6.7
Gaming Graphics: 6.7
Primary hard disk: 7.9 (SSD)

3dmark however demonstrates a difference as does the one game I've actually watched its frames per second (Shoot Many Robots)

Shoot Many Robots: 1920x1080
A10-4600M (no crossfire; dual channel memory config): 25-29 with heavy variation; quite choppy
A10-4600M (7670dgpu in crossfire mode & dual channel memory config): 50s - always smooth

3dMark06
A8-4500M (no crossfire & single channel memory config (1 stick)): 4158
A8-4500M (no crossfire & dual channel memory config (2 sticks): 7273
A10-4600M (no crossfire) - from other sources (dual channel DDR1600 config): 7950 (Source)
A10-4600M with 7670dgpu in crossfire mode & dual channel memory config: 10,415

3dMark05
A8-4500M (no crossfire; single channel): 6,703
A8-4500M (no crossfire; dual channel): 10,062
A10-4600M (no crossfires & dual channel): 10,412 (Windows 8)
A10-4600M (crossfire & dual channel): 11,927

3dMark Vantage
A8-4500M (no crossfire; single channel): GPU Score: 2,608
A8-4500M (no crossfire; dual channel): GPU Score: 4,432
A10-4600M (no crossfire; dual channel): 4,629 (3dMarks); GPU 4,177 (Windows 8)
A10-4600M (crossfire & dual channel): 6,413 (3dMarks); GPU Score: 6,522

There is an entire thread related to the A10-4600M + 7670dgpu here.

$500 is a complete steal for this type of power, adding a total of 8GB of ram will make this a rocking machine. It all depends on use but man it's really good out of the box, you can handle 95% of all game play immediately.

If you need a gaming laptop, this for the dollar is nearly unbeatable today for the dollar.

OK, I'm trying to put all this together. So, the laptop is only really fast with certain games likeCrossfire that uiltizes the AMD's graphic architecture? Looking at the WEI with non Crossfire, the score is rather weak and even lower than my Z570. Does apps like Photoshop utilize this like crossfire?

I get that everyone says this is an all out gaming laptop but I'm trying to justify this for my use as well. I'm looking for an all-around laptop with strong graphic capability that's not necessary for gaming.

I've got an i5-3210M /w Intel 4000 graphics, while i don't plan to play alot of games on it, I don't want it to be out of the question, I'm thinking this A8-4500M cpu /w crossfire makes the battery life very very short am I right?

I was about to buy this Asus from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230594

It is $550, free shipping no tax. 15in screen with 3rd gen i5, 6gb ram, and Win8.

It is for my mother-in-law. She uses internet and MS Office mostly. I am looking for longevity performance, not gaming performance. Would an i5 w/ 6gb of ram be better for this?

optical said:   OK, I'm trying to put all this together. So, the laptop is only really fast with certain games like Crossfire that uiltizes the AMD's graphic architecture? Looking at the WEI with non Crossfire, the score is rather weak and even lower than my Z570. Does apps like Photoshop utilize this like crossfire?
I get that everyone says this is an all out gaming laptop but I'm trying to justify this for my use as well. I'm looking for an all-around laptop with strong graphic capability that's not necessary for gaming.

WEI isn't a much relied on benchmark. AMD has recently begun focusing on its mobile drivers (see Read about that here.. Alas, 95% of this article has nothing to do with crossfire (AMD APU + AMD dGPU) but rather switchable graphics (Intel CPU w/igpu + AMD dGPU); nonetheless, it evidences AMD's attention to this sector). This includes enhancing crossfire on a greater range of games without having to have particular crossfire profiles. Shoot Many Bots is a great example of this. It does not have a profile by AMD. Rather, it simply utilized the base video driver to achieve significant performance increases via crossfire. I'm not sure why 3dmark05 shows such little difference esp. when it actually has a profile. It may just be the way that 3dmark05 operated.

tdavis5432 said:   I've got an i5-3210M /w Intel 4000 graphics, while i don't plan to play alot of games on it, I don't want it to be out of the question, I'm thinking this A8-4500M cpu /w crossfire makes the battery life very very short am I right?
Incorrect. It basically shuts the dgpu when not in use. With a 9-cell battery, I get 7.5-8 hours of just browsing, office, etc. With a 6-cell I get about 5 hours. During gaming, crossfire definitely eats into the battery. But, if you're conscious of that and traveling, you can disable the dgpu so that the game only uses the APU. You'll thus gain battery life and have a better gaming experience than the HD4000 could provide. With the AMD w/crossfire, you at least get that option. With the HD4000, you're stuck with the HD4000 (slower than both the APU and the APU/with crossfire).

Matrim33 said:   It is $550, free shipping no tax. 15in screen with 3rd gen i5, 6gb ram, and Win8.

It is for my mother-in-law. She uses internet and MS Office mostly. I am looking for longevity performance, not gaming performance. Would an i5 w/ 6gb of ram be better for this?

For her purposes, the i5 is the better machine if you're not looking for gaming performance and do not really care about potential current and future benefits of OpenGL and OpenCL (although most browsers (IE9, Firefox for certain) now use GPU acceleration that the i5 will not benefit from). To be honest, for her uses, she wouldn't be able to tell the difference between an i7 overclocked (made faster than default) and an A8 underclocked (made slower than default). Both machines are overkill for her use. If that's the max budget, I'd say get a lesser machine than both that is $100 less and install an SSD into that machine. She will definitely notice the improvement between an HDD and an SSD.

dead? OP link shows $529 for me now.

I'd check back. Newegg fluctuates their pricing based upon demand/time. Alas, still a good deal for $530.

Thanks Chris. Could I get your opinion on this Acer vs this Dell?

Intel Core 3rd Generation i5-3210M Processor (2.5 GHz 3M Cache, up to 3.10GHz)
750 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
6.0GB, DDR3-1600MHz SDRAM 2 DIMMS
AMD Radeon HD 7730M 2GB

clamonte3 said:   Thanks Chris. Could I get your opinion on this Acer vs this Dell?

Intel Core 3rd Generation i5-3210M Processor (2.5 GHz 3M Cache, up to 3.10GHz)
750 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
6.0GB, DDR3-1600MHz SDRAM 2 DIMMS
AMD Radeon HD 7730M 2GB

The 7730M will be slower than the A8-4500m + 7670dgpu in crossfire. Discussion of subject matter here. However, it will be faster than the A8-4500m APU alone when the crossfire is not functioning or providing much assistance. But, I've read conflicting reports on the speed of the 7730M so I can't really provide a good answer. It's a close call that likely tips in the favor of the i5/7730M depending on primary usage & price difference.

Skipping 10 Messages...
on the edge.. but i think i'll wait until my current laptop dies.. the thing with tech toys is that they just get cheaper and better over time..

if the laptop was under 4lbs with this price and spec i'd buy it today..

for now my current laptop that weight 6 lbs surfs on fw just fine..

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014