• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Price Sign (844.46kB)
Disclaimer
Was in my local Wally World and spotted this laptop, which.. in my opinion an i3 with Windows 7 is much better than what I was looking at picking up on BF:

Looks like model # on receipt is: ACAS 5733-6426

Didn't see a post on this, I know the clearance deal on Windows 7 lappy's can be iffy, but I have seen several of these at every WalMart within 30 miles of me the past week continuing to go down in price. This one was in Camillus, NY... but there have been reports of this model as low as $250-270 in some Walmarts, making it insanely competitive (Core i3) with BF prices, especially if you rather enjoy W7 over W8.

Updated Link as I found the exact model, so reviews are available, this one from Newegg.

Also: I placed it on Layaway, so if it drops down, and continues to go down, when I pick it up (By Dec. 14th) I will get whatever the price is then.

Walmart
See Walmart discounts that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Acer Aspire, 15.6" (54.55kB)
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Acer

That's a wicked old model circa 2010. Not a good price.

badboi said:   That's a wicked old model. Not a good price.

Heh, in comparison to the sub $250 laptops on BF that have netbook CPUs in them? I will slap a decent SSD in this guy, and it will purr like a kitten. I bought one similar to this on BF last year with a terrible Celeron in it, put an SSD in it and it runs like a champ. That one was $280 last year, this is similar specs with a way better CPU, and then I imagine will be sub $280 when I pick it up... so I'll take this over the offerings for BF, not to mention W7 H Premium, which I much prefer after having used W8 extensively.

It's a matter of opinion, I made the post for techies like myself, and people who don't care for W8 - this is a sweet spot for a laptop this holiday season for those particular deal hunters.

You can go up two generations of Intel CPU (i5 3xxx) 4000 video for a little more than one hundred dollars. It's a much better investment.

This would be nice if the price was around one seventy five two hundred.

badboi said:   You can go up two generations of Intel CPU (i5 3xxx) 4000 video for a little more than one hundred dollars. It's a much better investment.

Hmm, that's weird, even on BF this year the i3 CPUs are running at $350. i5s I have seen for BF are $450-500, minimal, but regardless: I'll stand by this running me ~$250-275 when I pick it up, and that's great for me for an i3 versus any of the BF deals and it's an Acer which have served me wonderfully the past 5-6 years.

badboi said:   You can go up two generations of Intel CPU (i5 3xxx) 4000 video for a little more than one hundred dollars. It's a much better investment.

This would be nice if the price was around one seventy five two hundred.

People who have to stretch to shell out $290 aren't making investments. They're just trying to get a full-sized laptop. There are many under-$300 computers, but few if any with a Core processor of any gen. i3 is a quantum jump past the crap "dual core" or AMD processors that are the usual fare at the price point, especially if the unit is new not refurbished.

Microsoft had a Asus i5 3rd gen for around 399 and TigerDirect also had a similar laptop at 399 to 450. Buying an up to date laptop will future proof your purchase.

And those AMD / celeron you say that were at three hundred dollar price point were overpriced to begin with IMO.

badboi said:   Microsoft had a Asus i5 3rd gen for around 399 and TigerDirect also had a similar laptop at 399 to 450.

And those AMD / celeron you say that were at three hundred dollar price point were overpriced to begin with IMO.

I guess, if you only have the one laptop and you need that CPU: All you. The i3 option is perfect for my GFs Xmas present, and the price point is, as I said: Better than any other i3 options right now or on BF, that's of course.. my opinion. I work in the IT field, software development, I understand everything about this computer, and made an educated decision weighing out cost versus use versus application, and this fit the bill nicely, not really sure why you're so insistent on the i5 being a better deal when, in fact, it's not.. simply because in this instance it would never get utilized to it's potential, and would therefore be a waste of money spent on an SSD to make this one a little snappier, the type of "snappier" not found in the CPU, but in the HDD I/O abilities.

Also my opinion: This deal isn't for everyone, you seem to take issue with it being anywhere you can see it.. and I'm not really sure why... just move on.

Well then good luck and enjoy your purchase.

How does first-gen i3 compare with 2nd-gen Pentium B970? Does the first-gen i3 CPU have HyperThreading? AVX? I know that the IGP on those first-gen i3's were nothing to write home about.

Edit: I got an Asus X401A from BestBuy for ~$300+tax, with a B970.

VirtuaL said:   How does first-gen i3 compare with 2nd-gen Pentium B970? Does the first-gen i3 CPU have HyperThreading? AVX? I know that the IGP on those first-gen i3's were nothing to write home about.

Edit: I got an Asus X401A from BestBuy for ~$300+tax, with a B970.

Here you go, good comparison review.

very happy with $300 i3 fujitsu from frys. this is even cheaper. go for it. if there is WiDi (not WiFi), that will be even better

I see the open discussion about laptops here. Some people buy a decent sub laptop and add an ssd and are happy with it. I know the price of ssd are coming down but how can you make sure it can be upgraded?

blueis300 said:   I see the open discussion about laptops here. Some people buy a decent sub laptop and add an ssd and are happy with it. I know the price of ssd are coming down but how can you make sure it can be upgraded?

Look for a disassembly video on YouTube for your laptop model. I did only after my purchase, and found out you have to take the entire keyboard off just to get at the HD. (And take the mobo out to get at the RAM. What a PITA.)

OP check out this deal. Thought you might like to take a look.

Link

Acer

ebbikenezer said:   in my opinion an i3 with Windows 7 is much better than what I was looking at picking up on BF:
Last year CompUSA had a 15.6" 2nd-gen Core i5 Windows 7 Home Premium laptop for $299 on Black Friday ($349 - $50 MIR). One of my friends picked it up, very nice laptop. I would have bought one, except I didn't have the cash.

I'm definitely buying a laptop ASAP, and I'm trying to hold out for the BF deals. CompUSA hasn't been leaked yet, so no idea what they'll be offering.

Here is an i3 3rd gen for 350

Acer i3 3rd gen

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014