Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Pogoplug Classic Media Sharing Device
Thanks UncleRico
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Great deal - bought one, works great. Save on shipping by signing up for FWB club: http://www.jr.com/friends

Attach a USB stick to this, and you've got a cheap web server. Google pogoplug, lifehacker and pogoplug, archlinux arm (for install process) for more info - uses I think 3-5 watts power with its ARM Processor and a USB stick.

How fast is the transfer rate?

I've had one of these for a few months. Works great, easy to set up. I have a usb hard drive plugged into it and can stream music from the drive to my phone or tablet anywhere.

I've had 3 of these and I've ordered two of them from JR, Seems like the best deal on a cheap DIY NAS, way better than dealing with one of those sites like dropbox.

Your transfer rate can get bogged down sometimes because you're working with your internet connection, a tiny little microprocessor, and a single hard drive. As with most inexpensive NAS solutions, don't expect 10mbit xfers from your network attached computer, it isn't going to happen. You're going to have to transfer a lot of stuff directly to your drive if you have hundreds of gigabytes of data.

However, I can stream video to a few people anywhere in the world and share files for work pretty easily, and it does have a lot of advanced features like iphone/android apps, and it compresses / reencodes video files on the fly for easier streaming.

Also they're incredibly easy to setup and move, it's all handled through their website.

Bottom line, For $20 you're getting a lot of possibilities.

Thanks Mr. C. I have been wanting one of these. Side note, J&R has the best mobile web ordering site I have ever used! Very smooth transaction. Why doesn't everyone make it that easy to take my money?$?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014