• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Save a Blade - Automatic Razor Blade Sharpener (was $21.70) $5.98 Shipped

http://www.dailybargainshop.com/

Don’t throw your old blades and your money, Renew your old blade with Save a Blade!

Save a Blade Automatic Razor Sharpener Get up to 200 perfect shaves from a single blade! Cordless electric sharpener sweeps across virtually any style or type of razor blade-from single blade disposables to multi-blade cartridges-to renew its sharpness in seconds. Save A Blade incorporates a precision silicone carbide sharpening tool that sharpens multi-blade cartridges and disposable razors in seconds You'll get close, comfortable shaves every time, without having to replace your blades as frequently. You'll save a bundle on blades alone!

Product Features

•Get up to 200 perfect shaves from a single blade
•One touch Push Button technology works in seconds
•Universal fit on virtually all razor types and makes
•Saves time and money
•Battery Operated (Batteries Included)
•Ensures close comfortable shave every time
•Cordless electric sharpener sweeps across virtually any style or type of razor blade-from single blade disposables to multi-blade cartridges-to renew its sharpness in seconds

Condition : New

Packaging: Hassle Free

Member Summary

blade sharpener
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Can anyone confirm this actually works?

Myers215 said:   Can anyone confirm this actually works?

Check out the Youtube vids on the guy that essentially does the exact same thing this machine does, but on his arm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ADaRIqy0Dc

I can tell you the concept is real, I have not used this product, but instead bought a old razor strap at the flea market. I gave $13 for it. I just run my 5 blade razor (pick a brand) over it in the same direction 5 times and shave away, I am getting a lot longer life out of each cartridge.

If you are shaving with a blade, I highly recommend some sort of sharpener. Talk to a leather shop about a piece of leftover belt leather, I had a guy at the fair this year give me a handful of them, they have no value to them anymore. I am sure it would suffice to sharpen your shaving equipment.

This might help with knockoff blades or worn blades, but it won't give anything close to the shaving performance of a fairly new Gillette blade, which isn't just sharpened metal but is also coated with chrome, platinum, or in the case of the Mach 3 series, a semi-diamond layer.

larrymoencurly said:   This might help with knockoff blades or worn blades, but it won't give anything close to the shaving performance of a fairly new Gillette blade, which isn't just sharpened metal but is also coated with chrome, platinum, or in the case of the Mach 3 series, a semi-diamond layer.

Though apparently a decent price for this, note that most of these types of devices don't even claim that the device actually sharpens the blades. Just that they help keep them clean of debris and thus (in theory) less likely to degrade as rapidly. For someone like me who is going through a blade every week or so even a small increase could (again, in theory) justify the expense IF it works. Here I'd be dubious as to the claims (after all, you really cannot sharpen a safety blade and it would appear that this device might try to do that and actually may make things WORSE due to improper sharpening angle). I'm going to give the denim method a shot and see how that works (amazing what you can learn in these forums - thanks everyone!) as it's free and likely to be at least as effective.

P.S. LOVE the blade marketing hype too - a "semi-diamond" layer. WTH?!

Been using the same blade for 4 months now. Sharpen it on my jeans, works surprisingly well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Kxiom83Js

tedhawkins said:   
Save A Blade incorporates a precision silicone carbide sharpening tool that sharpens multi-blade cartridges and disposable razors in seconds Y...

must be silicon carbide, not silicone.....a pet peeve of mine that silicone and silicon are different.

bugsie said:   larrymoencurly said:   This might help with knockoff blades or worn blades, but it won't give anything close to the shaving performance of a fairly new Gillette blade, which isn't just sharpened metal but is also coated with chrome, platinum, or in the case of the Mach 3 series, a semi-diamond layer.P.S. LOVE the blade marketing hype too - a "semi-diamond" layer. WTH?!That wasn't marketing hype because I don't think it ever made it into their ads or press releases. Apparently semi-diamond is a bad diamond coating with lots of graphite impurity.

BenH said:   http://www.amazon.com/Exceptional-Products-SAB001-Automatic-Shar...

Read a bunch of the Amazon reviews that basically say this is useless.

One of the reviews had a bunch of info on using a double edged (DE) safety razor, rather than the modern multi-bladed cartridges, and said that not only do you get a much closer shave, but the DE safety blades are ridiculously cheaper, so you don't even need to worry about using a sharpening device. Here's an example:

Derby Double Edge Safety Razor Blades $7.82/100 @ Amazon

Here's a site that promotes straight blade and DE use:

Badger & Blade

I think some of these guys seem to have OCD about shaving and make it into some big hobby - for 30 years it's just been a pain in the ass for me and I doubt I'll ever get passionate about it. However, the idea of spending maybe $8 a year on blades instead of $60+ appeals to me so I think I'll check it out and pick up a cheap starter DE razor and see if I like it.

lousygolfer said:   BenH said:   http://www.amazon.com/Exceptional-Products-SAB001-Automatic-Shar...

Read a bunch of the Amazon reviews that basically say this is useless.

One of the reviews had a bunch of info on using a double edged (DE) safety razor, rather than the modern multi-bladed cartridges, and said that not only do you get a much closer shave, but the DE safety blades are ridiculously cheaper, so you don't even need to worry about using a sharpening device. Here's an example:

Derby Double Edge Safety Razor Blades $7.82/100 @ Amazon

Here's a site that promotes straight blade and DE use:

Badger & Blade

I think some of these guys seem to have OCD about shaving and make it into some big hobby - for 30 years it's just been a pain in the ass for me and I doubt I'll ever get passionate about it. However, the idea of spending maybe $8 a year on blades instead of $60+ appeals to me so I think I'll check it out and pick up a cheap starter DE razor and see if I like it.

Yeah, that "scene" has people that are WAY into razors, etc. Very passionate.

I've never tried a DE razor. Maybe someday.

DE is the way to go, you won't regret it.

A device like this almost certainly harms the edge more than hones it. I'd stay far away.

Kort said:   Been using the same blade for 4 months now. Sharpen it on my jeans, works surprisingly well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Kxiom83Js

Stropping your razor against a pair of jeans laid flat on the bed (opposite direction of how you shave) actually does work, to an extent. Yesterday's shave with a Schick Hydro 5 on probably day 35 of use was very rough, scratchy and did not give a close shave despite going over everything twice; I was planning on junking it and putting in a new cartridge this morning until I saw this video. I did the denim stropping thing and the shave was noticeably better but not as-new - more or less equivalent to a blade with maybe 20-25 days of use on it.

Edit: 6 days later after doing the denim stropping thing, I'm still getting closer shaves - I'd guess it's about how a blade with 2 weeks use would work. This is a good tip.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014