FREE-GOODIES

100 GB of Google Drive Cloud Storage for 2 years
12 free sessions of GoGo® Inflight Internet

Member Summary

chrome book
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I don't trust this thing or the concept. I am not very good at opting out of things and I am not smart of enough to kno... (more)

germanpope (Dec. 16, 2012 @ 4:54a) |

Review from FORBES: Three ways chromebooks will alter your mind-

Text

LucyBob (Dec. 16, 2012 @ 6:31a) |

Now $190 at Newegg with new customer promo code "NEWCUSTOMER"

omarECD (Feb. 02, 2013 @ 8:37p) |

Operating System Google Chrome OS
Dimensions and weight1 Dimensions
285.4 x 204.8 x 25.54 mm (11.24 x 8.06 x 1 inches)
Weight
1.45 kg (3.19 lbs)2 with 6-cell battery
1.34 kg (2.95 lbs)2 with 3-cell battery
Color Matte black
CPU and chipset1 Intel® Atom™ processor N570 (1 MB L2 Cache, 1.66 GHz, DDR3 667 MHz, 8.5 W)
Mobile Intel® NM10 Express Chipset
Memory1, 3, 4, Single-channel DDR3 SDRAM support with one soDIMM module:
2 GB of DDR3 system memory
Display1 11.6" HD 1366 x 768 (WXGA) pixel resolution, high-brightness (200-nit) Acer CineCrystal™ LED-backlit TFT LCD
Mercury-free, environment-friendly
Ambient light sensor
Graphics1 Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 (Intel® GMA 3150), with 64 MB of dedicated system memory, supporting Microsoft® DirectX® 9
Dual independent display support
16.7 million colors
External resolution / refresh rate:4
HDMI® port up to 1920 x 1080: 60 Hz
HDMI® (High-Definition Multimedia Interface)
Storage Solid state drive
16 GB1, 6,
Multi-in-1 card reader, supporting
Secure Digital™ (SD) Card, MultiMediaCard™ (MMC), Reduced-Size Multimedia Card (RS-MMC), Memory Stick™ (MS), Memory Stick PRO™ (MS PRO), xD-Picture Card™ (xD)
Storage cards with adapter: miniSD™, microSD™, Memory Stick Duo™, Memory Stick PRO Duo™
Audio High-definition audio support
Two built-in stereo speakers
Built-in digital microphone
Webcam Video conferencing solution,1 featuring:
1.3 MP webcam with LED indicator
Wireless and networking WLAN1, 5, 6,:
Acer InviLink™ Nplify™ 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™
Supporting Acer SignalUp™ wireless technology
WWAN:1, 11,
CDMA2000 1x / EV-DO Rev. A
UMTS/HSPA at 850/900/1900/2100 MHz and quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE at 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, upgradable to 7.2 Mb/s HSDPA and 5.7 Mb/s HSUPA
Power adapter and battery1 ACPI 3.0 CPU power management standard: supports Standby and Hibernation power-saving modes
Power adapter
2-pin 40 W Acer MiniGo AC adapter:
93.2 (W) x 32.2 (D) x 42.5 (H) mm (3.66 x 1.26 x 1.67 inches)
180 g (0.39 lbs.)2 with 250 cm DC cable
210 g (0.47 lbs.)2 with 250 cm DC cable and one AC power plug
Battery
49 Wh 4400 mAh 6-cell Li-ion battery pack
Battery life: 6 hours9
24 Wh 4400 mAh 3-cell Li-ion battery pack
Battery life: 3 hours9
Input and control1 Keyboard
Google Chrome™ OS full-size keyboard with international language support, featuring:
Browser controls: back/forward
OS keys: reload, full screen, window switch, brightness up/down, volume up/down
Power key
Dedicated search key
Touchpad
Oversized fully clickable touchpad featuring click-anywhere functionality, supporting one-finger touch to left-click; two-finger touch to right-click; two-finger scrolling
Input and output Multi-in-1 card reader (SD™, MMC, MS, MS PRO, xD)
Two USB 2.0 ports
HDMI® port
Headphone/speaker jack with S/PDIF support
Microphone-in jack
DC-in jack for AC adapter
Privacy control1 Kensington lock slot
Trusted Platform Module (TPM) solution
Eco compliance WEEE
RoHS
Mercury-free
Options and accessories In-box:
6-cell Li-ion battery pack
Optional:
3-cell Li-ion battery pack
2-pin 40 W Acer MiniGo AC adapter
Options and accessories 1/2/4 GB DDR3 soDIMM module
9-cell Li-ion battery pack
3-pin 65 W AC adapter
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Acer
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Acer support website says this has only 16 GB of storage? Can anyone confirm this?

The google play website says it has a 320gig HD

I still prefer the Samsung version, slightly lighter, thinner, faster boot up time, battery life is almost twice as long.

Samsung version uses an arm cpu? this one uses Intel.

Does anyone else think that the Samsung is worth the extra $50..?

samsung reliability and quality of build > acer

The killer will be if you can load something like win7 on this one. I know they have loaded ubuntu on the samsung one but I know at least a dozen people that would buy one today if they could dual boot it with windows.

The specs on this are almost identical to the Acer Aspire One ao756-2899 that I got at worst buy last week for about $230:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+Aspire+One+11.6%22+Netbook+-+2GB+Memory+-+320GB+Hard+Drive+-+Ash+Black/6087545.p?id=1218716257333&skuId=6087545&st=ao756-2899&cp=1&lp=1#tab=specifications

I upgraded the RAM to 16GB and it really makes this a zippy, travel friendly laptop. The screen has surprisingly decent viewing angles for a low end laptop. Windows 7 and Windows 8 run great on it as well, especially after you install more RAM. If there are decent 7mm SSD deals on Black Friday, I'll be upgrading this to SSD, too.

Normal retail price.

So is the processor an Intel Core or an Atom? Both are listed on top of the thread, albeit in different places.

Lugs said:   Does anyone else think that the Samsung is worth the extra $50..?

I do. I have the Samsung chromebook and it's a zero-headache PC to give to my kids and their grandparents for their use (watching youtube videos, doing emails and surfing the net). Boots up in 8 seconds and, short of hurling it out the window, no way to hurt anything.

unmesh said:   So is the processor an Intel Core or an Atom?

The Acer C7 uses a 1.1 GHz Intel Celeron 847 Sandy Bridge processor.

I like Father Ballecer's comment that if you use gogo and google storage, its a free machine almost
http://thetechstop.net/acers-c7-puts-some-chrome-back-into-the-c...

Okay, I have read your particular deal. Thanks for taking time to share it.

JonnyRock said:   I like Father Ballecer's comment that if you use gogo and google storage, its a free machine almost

Can the passes be resold? If so, I am in for one!

alamo11 said:   JonnyRock said:   I like Father Ballecer's comment that if you use gogo and google storage, its a free machine almost

Can the passes be resold? If so, I am in for one!

I would like to know that also
I think I paid about $6 each for some delta ones on eBay
If they work on multiple airlines it would make them more valuable
I wonder if they are good for 2 years also
I would wait until Best Buy has them and get reward zone points too

Yeah I'll echo this. If I can get $60-80 out of the passes then this is an automatic buy.

Can I use this with M$ SkyDrive? I got 25Gb free from them and that's my main cloud.

Would you be able to use this with dial up? Friends mom lives on island in San Juans and only has dial up as an option no wifi or 3g/4g coverage. Friend needs to get mom a simple, non windows machine.

what we can do with chrome book? how about MS Office?

Can you update the RAM just like a regular notebook?

Text

GigaOM reports ACER C7 is part PC. 320GB hard drive. I bet the memory is upgradable. I bet it should be able to run Windows 7 though I can't comment on this.

zapjb said:   Yeah I'll echo this. If I can get $60-80 out of the passes then this is an automatic buy.

It comes with 12 free passes (estimated at $150 value).

This was taken out of their press release as found in Eng@dget. Link for press release.

Yeah but are the passes transferable? Thanks for the link, it confirms 2yr expiration on the passes.

zapjb said:   Yeah but are the passes transferable? Thanks for the link, it confirms 2yr expiration on the passes.

https://custhelp.gogoinflight.com/app/home/c/10

Can I use this pass for a different device?
These passes were specially designated for your Chromebook, so they can't be transferred to any other device.

So you might be able to sell them to another acer chromebook user, but not just anyone. I personally wouldn't count on selling them for more than $5/ea, if anything.

you should be able to set your user agent to make anything look like a cromebook
http://www.mattmeyer.net/hacks/go-go-internet-hack/

So is it correct for me to think or plan on selling all 12 passes for ~$60?

I do think that would drop the value of the passes
I might still be interested, If I could dual boot win 7 on the device it might be worth planning on doing my airplane surfing with it and being able to boot into windows
for those things I need windows for

I don't see it available on Google play. When is this laptop on sale - where can I get the Samsung version of the Chromebook?

I want to know : (1) how easy is it to access the hard drive and add memory? (2) can windows be installed for dual boot? I've seen it suggested that the bios is locked and it may be hard or impossible. (3) What is the voltage/amperage of the charger? (4) any info on third party battery compatibility?

The Samsung with its arm chip is a non starter. May be fine for someone with very limited needs (web browsing), but many want more functionality. Dual booting chrome and Windows would be really useful. Can't do that with arm (well maybe with windows rt, I think windows for arm is going to be a flop. Compatibility with the broad base of windows software is the only reason I can think of to buy a windows computer.) so this might be the perfect cheap laptop if it could dual boot chrome and Windows, especially if you could pop in a more powerful battery when needed. But no one seems to know if windows can be done.

Engadget review on ACER C7 can be found here.

For an additional $1800, you can get a mac book pro with retina screen.

-edit- sorry, thought I was at engadget.com

Now Acer C7 will be available at Newegg, Staples and Tiger direct. Hopefully coupons for Staples can bring down the cost a lot less.

Link

Tiger direct has them now it looks like. Link

I don't trust this thing or the concept. I am not very good at opting out of things and I am not smart of enough to know what I have opted into by turning this thing on and using it.

Review from FORBES: Three ways chromebooks will alter your mind-

Text

Now $190 at Newegg with new customer promo code "NEWCUSTOMER"

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.