• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://mensaforkids.com/school_template.cfm?showPage=shool_read...

Each participating kids will get Mensa T-Shirt along with "Excellence in Reading Award Program" certificate

Member Summary

mensa
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks for sharing.

Well, it's not really a hot deal and no info given besides a link. That's probably why it got red (note, I didn't give it red). Maybe it should be in Free Stuff...?

@mpattdu - if you think, it should belong to somewhere else, 'alert mod' and post your concern, no simply hit 'red' please.

My guess is that the red is for the least informative title in history. No mention of what the deal is at all. And before you edited the post there was no mention of the deal there either.

That's a HUGE list, and kids must read ALL of the books to (truthfully) qualify for the certificate and T-shirt. I laughed out loud when I read the high-school list; not one in ten thousand students will have read ALL of those by the time he/she graduates.

Green for OP! Give parents some book titles to get for their kids...

befalas said:   That's a HUGE list, and kids must read ALL of the books to (truthfully) qualify for the certificate and T-shirt. I laughed out loud when I read the high-school list; not one in ten thousand students will have read ALL of those by the time he/she graduates.

That's kinda the gist of Mensa isn't it? It's not for everyone - just a few.

zapy said:   befalas said:   That's a HUGE list, and kids must read ALL of the books to (truthfully) qualify for the certificate and T-shirt. I laughed out loud when I read the high-school list; not one in ten thousand students will have read ALL of those by the time he/she graduates.

That's kinda the gist of Mensa isn't it? It's not for everyone - just a few.


Sure but especially for the K to 3rd group. If the kid gets 10 pages in and decides the book sucks...he/she should stop. At that age, when they can read, they need to be reading for information or entertainment. If a book is not serving either of these move to the next one.

Not bagging on the OP just the idea of completing the whole list.

Again junkbin,

THAT'S THE WHOLE IDEA. If the kid likes the books then they are on their way. If not, maybe Mensa isn't for them but pursuing aome of the other titles is.

Agreed - no parent should push their child that hard and fast. This is for those who "fall into it" so to speak.

junkbin said:   Sure but especially for the K to 3rd group. If the kid gets 10 pages in and decides the book sucks...he/she should stop.If that's the perspective that you give an 8-year old, how are you going to convince that same kid that he needs to read past page 10 when he gets to high school?


I recognize most of the titles on the K-3rd list. I think it's a great list, and kids love checking things off. Heck, hunting all these down at the library is an adventure itself. Green from me.

I wasn't saying you should let them quit that quickly. Just not push too hard. You'd have to explain that not every story starts out great and you have to give it a chance.

But then agian, if I have to post this kind of reasoning to get parents to think then they maybe should stay at home in the trailer park, ghetto, (name your own slang), inner city rat hole, etc.

IT STARTS WITH THE PARENTS. YOU EITHER MOE THE IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION OR THEY FIGURE OUT SOMETHING FOR THEMSELVES, GOOD OR BAD.

junkbin said:   zapy said:   befalas said:   That's a HUGE list, and kids must read ALL of the books to (truthfully) qualify for the certificate and T-shirt. I laughed out loud when I read the high-school list; not one in ten thousand students will have read ALL of those by the time he/she graduates.

That's kinda the gist of Mensa isn't it? It's not for everyone - just a few.


Sure but especially for the K to 3rd group. If the kid gets 10 pages in and decides the book sucks...he/she should stop. At that age, when they can read, they need to be reading for information or entertainment. If a book is not serving either of these move to the next one.

Not bagging on the OP just the idea of completing the whole list.


At that age children are "learning to read" not "reading to learn" as you suggest. Looking at that list of K-3 books it appears it is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests. Kids that age don't really have enough knowledge to decide that a book "sucks" especially if it is very short, as are many of those books. A kid at the young end of that group is going to have most of those books read to him anyway, which is something kids love, no matter the book. Kids at the higher end can read many of those easier books independently and might read the chapter books with a parent over the course of several nights. With the easier books, by the time they are 10 pages in and decide they don't like it, they're almost done. The older kids will also know that there is an incentive to finish each story, even the ones they may not find quite as interesting. There is also something to be said for attaining a goal or assignment, even if there are parts you don't like.

All good points mpattdu !

WRT the "goal" comment though - we are a society that tries to place everyone on an even playing field. Everybody on all sports teams gets a ribbon, trophy, or special mention. There are no losers except the kids. It's like politics. 50% think that is ok and 50% thinks it is not.

zapy said:   All good points mpattdu !

WRT the "goal" comment though - we are a society that tries to place everyone on an even playing field. Everybody on all sports teams gets a ribbon, trophy, or special mention. There are no losers except the kids. It's like politics. 50% think that is ok and 50% thinks it is not.


yea, the comment was a little harsh. i agree with your general sentiment though.

back on topic, this campaign is organized by the Mensa Research Foundation, which is the non-profit (and somewhat separate) arm of American Mensa that tries to promote intelligence-oriented topics like education through grants and scholarships.

some of their other programs can be found here and their contributors and financials can be found here. $1.3mm for scholarships, $360k for youth programs.

given that the only controls for this program seems to be "scout's honor", and the relatively liberal interpretations of rules in some other fw deals, it'd be interesting to see whether they end up having to send more shirts than they expect.

zapy said:   I wasn't saying you should let them quit that quickly. Just not push too hard. You'd have to explain that not every story starts out great and you have to give it a chance.

But then agian, if I have to post this kind of reasoning to get parents to think then they maybe should stay at home in the trailer park, ghetto, (name your own slang), inner city rat hole, etc.

IT STARTS WITH THE PARENTS. YOU EITHER MOE THE IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION OR THEY FIGURE OUT SOMETHING FOR THEMSELVES, GOOD OR BAD.
Ironic that you've made a number of derogatory, insulting, and/or racially insensitve remarks in this thread, throw in a few gramatical and spelling errors, and used a word that is forbidden in my house - unless you are describing how you drink through a straw - and you are providing parenting advice?

zapy said:   All good points mpattdu !

WRT the "goal" comment though - we are a society that tries to place everyone on an even playing field. Everybody on all sports teams gets a ribbon, trophy, or special mention. There are no losers except the kids. It's like politics. 50% think that is ok and 50% thinks it is not.


But this isn't a competition so there's no playing field to level. The program is simply something parents can do with their kids to encourage them to read. My goal comment was simply to point out that a kid's personal goal of finishing the list and getting a shirt may be a strong enough incentive to get them to read a book they think they won't like, which was junkbin's complaint about the program. Plus, the difficulty in attaining the goal can be tempered by picking a lower tier of books if a student reads at a lower level, or having parents help with reading.

Worst part of this whole discussion is the Mensa site uses frames.



Text
Text
TextText

OK



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014