• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
ConED has been offering a free internet programmable thermostat for months if not YEARS. NO INTERNET CONNECTION NEEDED FOR THERMOSTAT TO COMMUNICATE WITH INTERNET - IT USES C/B RADIO I BELIEVE! (read their site) The installation is FREE and the thermostat is FREE. I had this installed about a year or two ago and the promotion is still running. This thermostat allows ConED to control your thermostat in the summer when they want to lower the energy consumption - basically they tweak it by a degree or two in the summer so your outside compressor doesn't run as often and it usually happens at night or during the day when you are at work. Most people would never notice. THERE IS AN OVERRIDE BUTTON for when this happens if YOU REALLY REALLY WANT TO OVERRIDE IT. Usually ConED takes control maybe on 3-4 days OUT OF THE YEAR for about 4-5 hours - I never really notice the difference. THEY ONLY CONTROL A/C, THEY DON'T TAKE OVER HEAT. If you don't override their power saving feature (by pushing the override button) you get a $25 credit at the end of summer. So it's a pretty good deal.
Web Programming is AWESOME and it lets you store your schedules online so it is easy to switch from "Heating while I am home" to "Heating while I am on vacation" schedules to others you create. Just login to your account at https://www.mytstat.com/coned/logon.aspx, select the schedule you setup on their website and click "Send to thermostat". Done! Also, comes in handy when you are on vacation and a sudden snow storm or heat wave hits your area and you need to turn on heat/air-conditioning. Just login, select the schedule and "Send to thermostat". Done! Your house furnace/air-conditioning will flip ON and you can check the temperature of your house ONLINE! This was a life-saver when we were vacationing a couple of times. (I included some pictures of the setup below)

I was surprised no one had posted this on fatwallet so here you are guys:

http://www.coned.com/cool
User Manuals: https://coneddlc.programprocessing.com/content/thermostat

Member Summary

thermostat
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer

Sample programming screen
Thanks daa6359
Disclaimer

Sample programming screen 2
Thanks daa6359
Disclaimer

Sample Control Thermostat Screen
Thanks daa6359
Disclaimer

Thermostats to choose from
Thanks daa6359
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Control Your Central AC Remotely and Lower Your Energy Use

Con Edison is offering a free smart thermostat that allows you to control the temperature in your home, religious institution or business, even when you're not there.
This thermostat will allow you to adjust the temperature manually or remotely via the internet or your smartphone while providing an efficient use of energy when programming features are used.

Some Real Benefits

Manage your energy usage to fit your lifestyle
Program your thermostat using the internet or your smartphone
Help to ensure reliable power to you and your community
Help reduce air pollution
Delay need for costly power delivery system upgrades

Incentives

You get a free Carrier smart thermostat (valued at $300) and we'll handle the installations, at no cost to you
Residential or residential religious-rate customers will receive a thank you gift of $25 after the thermostat is installed
Business customers will receive a gift of $50

Program Details

Smart thermostats allow you to adjust settings using the internet or your smartphone, from anywhere, and are equipped with programming features that maximize the efficiency of your central air-conditioning system. Smart thermostats also allow Con Edison to remotely adjust the amount of electricity your central air-conditioning system uses to help reduce the demand for energy. A signal similar to a pager and/or beeper will communicate with your central air-conditioning thermostat and will cycle your unit's compressor on and off to reduce demand on our electric system. Your fan will continue to operate and circulate air. You can always override the adjustment if necessary.
How the Program Works

The Con Edison Central Air Conditioning Program will be called when Con Edison needs to reduce electricity use.

Eligibility and Requirements

Con Edison residential and religious-rate customers with central air-conditioning
Con Edison business customers with central air-conditioning and a peak demand of less than 100kW

Still have questions? Email us at conEdison@conEdprograms.com, or give us a call at (866) 521-8600. For more information about the Con Edison Central Air-Conditioning Program, read through the Con Edison Service Classification Rider L.

The attached tariff leaves may not reflect the most recent tariff changes approved by the New York State Public Service Commission.

Why the negative ratings?

daa6359 said:   Why the negative ratings?

Maybe from Nest user?

aauxta said:   daa6359 said:   Why the negative ratings?

Maybe from Nest user?

No...it's probably from them having the "control" issue. I don't live in their service area...but I can see where people would have an issue with that.

I understand that point of view but nothing is free. You need to give a little to get a free $300 thermostat. I have my home monitored by an alarm company and my gas and electric read. Big brother is watching everywhere you look. If you are paranoid become a hobbit and live in a forest somewhere. For the rest of us normal people accept that the more people / companies look after you the safer you are because when things become outliers (like an unusually high gas reading is made while you are on vacation) you're going to be glad that someone noticed your gas leak when you were out.

daa6359 said:   I understand that point of view but nothing is free. You need to give a little to get a free $300 thermostat. I have my home monitored by an alarm company and my gas and electric read. Big brother is watching everywhere you look. If you are paranoid become a hobbit and live in a forest.

I'm not sure what tangent your going off on, newbie. A person can choose who/when/why controls their thermostat. If they want to give up some control in trade for a discount...fine. If they don't...that's perfectly fine too.

respdoc said:   daa6359 said:   I understand that point of view but nothing is free. You need to give a little to get a free $300 thermostat. I have my home monitored by an alarm company and my gas and electric read. Big brother is watching everywhere you look. If you are paranoid become a hobbit and live in a forest.

I'm not sure what tangent your going off on, newbie. A person can choose who/when/why controls their thermostat. If they want to give up some control in trade for a discount...fine. If they don't...that's perfectly fine too.

Grandpa, Sorry for going on a tangent. Just control-freaks freak me out.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.