• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

AmeriGas (29.98kB)
Thanks djrsn00
Disclaimer

I wonder if this can be combined with the $3 Amerigas.com rebate offer?

http://amerigas.com/exchange/consumer/grill.htm

Update: The Amerigas $3 rebate was approved and came today so this turned out to be a great deal!

how much do these things cost now-a-days?

arlington, tx amerigas charges $16 and cvs down the street charges $19.99.

mcwacko1213 - good question - what is the price please? What's the charge in your area --
My refills (FULL ) are $9.99 inc TAX -
I have not done an exchange tank yet -
Who carries Ameri-GAS?

Local Home Depoot charges $22 AND the cylinders, which are 20#, are only filled to 15#.

The local gas company will fully fill for $12.00

If you are a true fatwallet-er you'll find your local company and get them do fill yours -- even better, most will fill when they deliver to your house filling your big tank.

zapy said:   Local Home Depoot charges $22 AND the cylinders, which are 20#, are only filled to 15#.

If you are a true fatwallet-er you'll find your local company and get them do fill yours -- even better, most will fill when they deliver to your house filling your big tank.

Really?? How do you negotiate that?

Psee said:   zapy said:   Local Home Depoot charges $22 AND the cylinders, which are 20#, are only filled to 15#.

Really?? How do you negotiate that?

Just a guess, but I'm thinkin' it starts with something like a call to the office, or a request to the delivery person, "I've heard some companies can refill the small propane tanks when they fill up my big tank. Can you do this also?"

Here's a time when it might be OK to call.

Also might be fun, if you have a propane grill, to just go ahead and run a line from your house propane system to your grill. No more worries about refilling the small tanks (until you move, or unless you have a portable grill you camp with).

And last -- if you get your tanks refilled, note that each tank has a date stamped on it, which is the date of manufacture or last inspection. You won't be able to get a tank refilled after 10 years has passed from that date. Check the date on the tanks you do exchange to make sure you have a relatively new one.

I don't see how this is a good deal even with the $3 discount. it's a rip, my buddy ran out of propane during one of our brew sessions. he had one of these amerigas tanks. the closest exchange store was a small convenient store.. they charged him $30 plus tax for the exchange.. I told him did he get the free reach-around every exchange he did? haha..

My local gas stations charge $2.80 per gal. at about 4.3 lb/gal of propane. Tanks only fill up to ~80% capacity because of the internal safety valve. so when I fill my 20 lb tanks cost would be 16 lb / 4.3lb = 3.72 gal X $2.80(whatever your local rate is) = $10.42

thats $10.42 for each totally empty 20 lb tank fill up.

I have 3 tanks that I use for homebrewing. I get about 3 brew sessions out of each tank so i know about how much propane should cost... to me, this deal stinks like propane!

Deal is only good if you are around only the places that have exchanges and not refils... which i find it very very hard to believe. i see refill stations at almost every gas station/ Uhaul centers around here.

How do you use this coupon at Home Depot where all the tanks located outside and self service?

Even with coupons, I've find it cheaper and easier to refill at the local u-haul. You are only charged for the propane needed to refill.

http://www.uhaul.com/Propane/

Brings it closer to the right price. I do see they came down to $19.99 for an exchange, I just refilled mine and it cost $12.50 and my tank was completely empty.

transdollar said:   Even with coupons, I've find it cheaper and easier to refill at the local u-haul. You are only charged for the propane needed to refill.

http://www.uhaul.com/Propane/

I think the added value of a tank exchange is you replace your old rusted tank with a freshly painted one with a new valve. Sure, if your tank is in good shape a refill is a better deal but it's not a fair comparison...you get only propane with a refill, this deal is about a tank exchange. Here in California the price per gallon on propane is about $4 so it's a pretty good deal with the coupon. The Home Depot wanted $17.82 for the exchange at my location. Using the math from the above post that's 15lb./4.3 = 3.49 gallons x $4 =$13.95 for the propane; $17.82 - $3 coupon =$14.82 total cost so 87 cents difference to get the new tank included. If I can get the additional $3 rebate back it will be a great deal.

I need to find a place that will only charge for how much they actually put in the tank. All of the places near me charge a flat rate that is only a couple bucks cheaper than exchanging. No Uhaul locations near by.

Anyone have an image of the coupon? I don't want to install that malware/adware coupon printer.

Having the local propane guy refill my tanks is usually much cheaper, but I have found a lot of local propane sellers who charge a 7 or 10 gallon minimum per tank, even if it is a 5 gallon (20lb) tank, and even if you bring in multiple tanks. Quite a rip off.

However, if you have tanks getting close to their 10 year date, you can exchange them for ones with much longer dates through these exchange dealers (check the dates on the new ones). Wallymart had the cheapest exchanges locally when i last looked. My guy at the local propane company tells me that the big exchange companies don't really care because they inspect every tank and if needed, they and can re-certify the tanks for another 10 years.

The only time its worth using an exchange is when you tank is about to expire and needs to be re-certified. Since the new OPD valves came out about 10 years ago many are about to expire, trade this in at the exchange and make sure you get one with the freshest build date so you can refill on your own for a while.

reddhead said:   I need to find a place that will only charge for how much they actually put in the tank. All of the places near me charge a flat rate that is only a couple bucks cheaper than exchanging. No Uhaul locations near by.

google local for Propane/refill/dealer then call around. In L.A. tool rental & uhauls are more $ and some charge minimum 5 gallon so you need to fill 2 20# tanks each time. The other places are like truck stops and have no minimum, last month I paid $2 per gallon. But they have a tendency to overfill and the valve will freeze if you open it all the way. I thought the valve suppose to prevent overfill but this place put like 4.5G in each 20# tank. Trick is to open 1/4 turn only until the pressure gets lower. I will have to tell them to only fill to 4G.

mogulman said:   Anyone have an image of the coupon? I don't want to install that malware/adware coupon printer.
me too!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014