• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
In Store Only at American TV (Midwestern store) has the 60" LG PA5500 Series TV for $699

This is a 5am door-buster for them (they open from 8pm-midnight on Thursday then reopen at 5am Friday)

HHGregg has this for $899 and some stores have it for $799, Amazon's lowest price (according to camelcamelcamel) was $828

Member Summary

LG 60PA5500 (24.83kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › LG

FWIW, LG plasmas are a distant third to Panasonic and Samsung. Buying a new LG is like buying a Panasonic or Samsung from several years ago. This is $699 + tax vs. $798 for the Panasonic TC-P60U50. You would be going out at 5:00 AM and saving only a few dollars for a TV that is significantly worse than the competition.

Where is the Panasonic available for $800?

I have this TV. I got it for $899 from Fry's over a year ago. No complaints here. Nice picture and sound is fine. No known problems/issues. $699 is a great deal.

MechanicalMan said:   FWIW, LG plasmas are a distant third to Panasonic and Samsung. Buying a new LG is like buying a Panasonic or Samsung from several years ago. This is $699 + tax vs. $798 for the Panasonic TC-P60UT50. You would be going out at 5:00 AM and saving only a few dollars for a TV that is significantly worse than the competition.

That was kind of my suspicion but it was still a decent deal. I'm waiting for a ST50 Panny to go on sale myself (Considering the 50ST50 from Panny EPP).

BenDB said:   Where is the Panasonic available for $800?
Sorry for the typo. I was talking about the U50, not the UT50. The 60" U50 is $798 on Amazon (OOS, but you can place an order).

Can you point me to a good summary of the differences in the Panansonic plasma line?

BenDB said:   Can you point me to a good summary of the differences in the Panansonic plasma line?
The 720p models are very weak (poor black level and poor color accuracy, which has become the norm for Panasonic's 720p models). Samsung and LG 720p models are better. I'm confident that my unimpressive 2010 Zenith would mop the floor with the X5/X50 in a side-by-side comparison. Panasonic 720p models are really lousy.

The U50 and UT50 are a huge leap forward from the X5/XT50. The UT50 adds Wi-Fi and 3D but has at least roughly the same image quality as the U50. These models have black level on par with the ST50 and GT50, but their color accuracy is worse.

The ST50 is the least expensive model with an anti-glare filter and swivel base. It also has more picture controls and better color accuracy than the U50/UT50.

The GT50 is the least compelling model (other than the X5/X50). It doesn't offer anything to recommend it over the ST50.

The VT50 has better black level, picture controls and color accuracy than any other model in the lineup.

MechanicalMan said:   The GT50 is the least compelling model (other than the X5/X50). It doesn't offer anything to recommend it over the ST50.

Your homework is incomplete. The GT50 has a much more powerful processor, allowing it to do some pretty cool things such as a DLNA server and stream live TV to your phone/tablet. Generally smoother for the smart TV functions, too.

If somebody wants a barebones plasma, Panasonic's EPP has the 60" U50 for $720 right now. Use ShopDiscover for another 10% Cash Back.

slickdeal45 said:   The GT50 has a much more powerful processor, allowing it to do some pretty cool things such as a DLNA server and stream live TV to your phone/tablet. Generally smoother for the smart TV functions, too.
Like I said, no compelling reason to buy the GT50. Do you really think the GT50 is worth $400 more than the ST50 because of smart TV features? There are dedicated devices for that stuff that do not cost anywhere close to $400. It's a waste of money when your TV, blu-ray player, etc., all duplicate the same capabilities.

It really depends on what you want to do with it. I'm not advocating for it--you just provided incorrect and incomplete information.

MechanicalMan said:   slickdeal45 said:   The GT50 has a much more powerful processor, allowing it to do some pretty cool things such as a DLNA server and stream live TV to your phone/tablet. Generally smoother for the smart TV functions, too.
Like I said, no compelling reason to buy the GT50. Do you really think the GT50 is worth $400 more than the ST50 because of smart TV features? There are dedicated devices for that stuff that do not cost anywhere close to $400. It's a waste of money when your TV, blu-ray player, etc., all duplicate the same capabilities.

Does your BR player act as a media server? Does it stream live TV to your tablet or phone? It's a $350 difference at the 55" size. If a person doesn't have an HTPC and wants similar capabilities, it's not a bad deal. As I said, it really depends. One could easily say that none of the price point jumps are worth it, but it's not my place to say what may or may not have value for someone else.

Just an FYI, some Costco's still have these for $799, I just grabbed one and love it. It's their everyday price until they run out and you get their 2 year warranty.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014