• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This may be of use to those with limited data plan or coverage and requiring Offline GPS Navigation and Maps.

Copilot has their Thanksgiving Travel Sale with the following for Android and iPhone/iPad. [Announcement]

CoPilot Live Premium USA with 1 year of free ActiveTraffic™ service for $7.99 [Android] [iPhone]

CoPilot Live Premium HD USA with 1 year of free ActiveTraffic™ service for $9.99 [iPad and iPad Mini]

I have used Copilot Live v8 on Windows Mobile 6.x and have been fairly happy with it. I recently updated to an Android phone and will be installing Copilot on it too once I receive the micro SD card I have ordered.

Member Summary

copilot
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

There is another thread for nav apps - http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1236617/

But still, you can always preload your map of areas you need map with on Google Map where you have WiFi coverage so why waste the money?

I am not sure whether you can preload Google Maps on iPhone and iPad. At least, I haven't yet figured out how to do it on my iPad! On my Android phone, there is a limit on the area per preloaded map and the number of preloaded maps. If I plan to drive a long distance, I am unable to preload all the maps for the route.

Also, I don't know if POI's also get saved with the preloaded Google Maps on Android.

tajar96 said:   There is another thread for nav apps - http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1236617/

That thread is limited to Garmin Navigon and Street Pilot on iOS. Good to have a choice for those requiring maps for iOS though.

I have the free version. What do I get with paid version?

Have used CoPilot on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 on many road trips in the US and Canada. Great app.

How is this compare with Navigon, which also goes on sale?

lanwarrior said:   How is this compare with Navigon, which also goes on sale?

Navigon is onsale?

It was. See link posted by tajar96 above. Looks like the iOS Navigon deal is dead now.

Ah, was hoping for the android version being on sale.

GWBush said:   But still, you can always preload your map of areas you need map with on Google Map where you have WiFi coverage so why waste the money?

Google Maps only lets you preload 6 maps and they are limited to a square roughly 70 or 80 miles on one side. The shape can only be square so you end up lots of areas you don't really need and sometimes the maps overlap. The map also takes a lot more space compared to Copilot. A map covering San Francisco to Salinas, CA is roughly 85 MB; Copilot map data for AZ, CA, NV, NM, and UT takes less than 200MB by comparison. Copilot, arguably, loads a lot more map data than I need too, but the space requirement is significantly smaller. I really only need NorCal map data, and of that really on the SF Bay Area plus Reno/Tahoe and Eureka and the routes to get there. Using Copilot, I have all the map data I need and then some. I'm not sure I can load all the maps I need on Google Maps all at once. I'd have to load the map data before each trip.

I bought this app due to the sale and I gotta say that for something I paid for, I'm not happy at all. Copilot is not robust at all. Pressing the return/back button on my Samsung Galaxy S2 sometimes kicks me out of the application rather than return to the previous screen. Launching the application, about 3/4 the time the application freezes and it takes about a minute before the OS recognizes this and force terminates it. Integration doesn't seem all that great either because the voice search cannot be used at all. Clicking on an address somewhere brings up a menu that lists Google Maps and the Telenav thing that came with the phone, but where the heck is Copilot? Also Copilot requires I enter the city or
ZIP separate from street address unlike Google that lets me enter all at once so I cannot just copy and paste either.

Several years ago I purchased iGuidance 4 for Windows Mobile 2005 and that is still my favorite navigation app to date. Too bad they don't make anything for Android or anything at all since 2009. I find the voice guidance better than Telenav, Google, and the Copilot thing I just bought. Iguidance does require I enter the city, street, and street number separately, but it's also 4 years old. I think one of the best things about iGuidance is that it says turn in 1000ft rather than turn in "zero point three miles" like Copilot and when it's time to turn, iGuidance sounds a bell rather than says turn now.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.