• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
New phone/online only coupons.

$15 off $100 - code 70157
$5 off $50 - code 16570

multi-use 5 digit coupon codes. Expires 11/25

Staples
See Staples discounts that earn Up to 4.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Can you combine this with rewards to pay most of the order amount and only have $1 or $2 left over to pay via credit card? Here is why I ask. Every so often (very rare these days), Staples will send me a $25 off $75 in the mail. The other day I tried to buy an $80 Staples item online, I added the 25 off 75 and it took the total down to $55. Then I entered my reward check 16-digit number for an additional $40 amount, and that should have left me with about $15 to pay out of pocket with my credit card. However, the system rejected my 25 off 75 when I tried to apply my rewards check to the order. I know for a fact I used to be able to combine % off or dollars off with rewards to pay almost nothing out of pocket. Have they plugged that hole now?

c3688t said:   Can you combine this with rewards to pay most of the order amount and only have $1 or $2 left over to pay via credit card? Here is why I ask. Every so often (very rare these days), Staples will send me a $25 off $75 in the mail. The other day I tried to buy an $80 Staples item online, I added the 25 off 75 and it took the total down to $55. Then I entered my reward check 16-digit number for an additional $40 amount, and that should have left me with about $15 to pay out of pocket with my credit card. However, the system rejected my 25 off 75 when I tried to apply my rewards check to the order. I know for a fact I used to be able to combine % off or dollars off with rewards to pay almost nothing out of pocket. Have they plugged that hole now?

ONLINE: Your total needs to bee above the amount required by the coupon AFTER you deduct rewards checks. Thats been the case now for at least 4-5 months.
Over the phone or in store, it works differently.

I have chatted with a CSR and they add my rewards check after I submit the order.

Ok, thanks vrb747. I thought it worked before- wasn't sure if the Staples police were on to me LOL. Now I have to save up my usual small purchases into a larger single purchase to use those coupons, or trash them and avoid the temptation to buy **** I don't need.

vrb747 said:   c3688t said:   Can you combine this with rewards to pay most of the order amount and only have $1 or $2 left over to pay via credit card? Here is why I ask. Every so often (very rare these days), Staples will send me a $25 off $75 in the mail. The other day I tried to buy an $80 Staples item online, I added the 25 off 75 and it took the total down to $55. Then I entered my reward check 16-digit number for an additional $40 amount, and that should have left me with about $15 to pay out of pocket with my credit card. However, the system rejected my 25 off 75 when I tried to apply my rewards check to the order. I know for a fact I used to be able to combine % off or dollars off with rewards to pay almost nothing out of pocket. Have they plugged that hole now?

ONLINE: Your total needs to bee above the amount required by the coupon AFTER you deduct rewards checks. Thats been the case now for at least 4-5 months.

Not true. Just ordered Kaspersky and McAfee FAR S/W (total was $114) and used $15 off $100 coupon and $92 of rewards check. Worked fine.

If you need to cash out some rewards and have exhausted all the freebies, you can do a couple of these phones-- http://www.staples.com/ATT-EL52200-Cordless-Dual-Handset-Phone-w... , plus a minimal filler, and use the $15/100 to net these down to about $23 each.

I guess procrastinating would have paid off I already ordered my Kaspersky and McAfee on Thursday!
Looks like Staples is trying to drum up business.

dks123 said:   vrb747 said:   c3688t said:   Can you combine this with rewards to pay most of the order amount and only have $1 or $2 left over to pay via credit card? Here is why I ask. Every so often (very rare these days), Staples will send me a $25 off $75 in the mail. The other day I tried to buy an $80 Staples item online, I added the 25 off 75 and it took the total down to $55. Then I entered my reward check 16-digit number for an additional $40 amount, and that should have left me with about $15 to pay out of pocket with my credit card. However, the system rejected my 25 off 75 when I tried to apply my rewards check to the order. I know for a fact I used to be able to combine % off or dollars off with rewards to pay almost nothing out of pocket. Have they plugged that hole now?

Not true. Just ordered Kaspersky and McAfee FAR S/W (total was $114) and used $15 off $100 coupon and $92 of rewards check. Worked fine.

Thats very interesting, maybe it only works with certain coupons...... you did this online or over the phone ?

I guess I'll finally buy all 3 FAR items since this makes it worth doing. Will clear the humongous Rewards check I had from September. Sadly, because they don't do Balance coupons online, I will have to go out of pocket $15 or so rather than using a portion of October's. I guess if I really wanted to be clever I could go to the store and buy something for $25 to use part of the $40 and get a $15 balance coupon, then go home and use that for this order, then return the $25 item and get a return coupon for that.

Or non-lazy

You should take your own advice. My addition: never spend OOP unless you have to.

aarzi said:   Or non-lazy

You should take your own advice. My addition: never spend OOP unless you have to.
You shamed me into going to Staples. I bought a $25.99 package of paper, then used the $14.01 balance coupon on the order. Ended up out of pocket 52c, which included tax.

vrb747 said:   dks123 said:   

Thats very interesting, maybe it only works with certain coupons...... you did this online or over the phone ?

online.

dks123 said:   vrb747 said:   dks123 said:   

online.

Very strange. I just tried another online order and using 90.xx$ in rewards and a 25 off 75 coupon. It would not work for me until I increased the SubTotal to $219.99. I tried to use rewards and coupon with an item costing $149.99 and it wouldnt work. In essence the Staples site is treating my 25 off 75 Q as a 25 off 165 Q because of my $90 in rewards.

vrb747 said:   dks123 said:   vrb747 said:   dks123 said:   

online.

Very strange. I just tried another online order and using 90.xx$ in rewards and a 25 off 75 coupon. It would not work for me until I increased the SubTotal to $219.99. I tried to use rewards and coupon with an item costing $149.99 and it wouldnt work. In essence the Staples site is treating my 25 off 75 Q as a 25 off 165 Q because of my $90 in rewards.

May be 5 digit generic coupons work differently than $25 off $75 16 digit coupons. I tried with $15 off $100.

dks123 said:   vrb747 said:   dks123 said:   vrb747 said:   dks123 said:   

online.

May be 5 digit generic coupons work differently than $25 off $75 16 digit coupons. I tried with $15 off $100.

Okay, that makes sense. Will try it out in a bit.

Does the Staples website work off of Eastern Time? I tried using the coupon code just after 10pm Pacific and keep receiving "Coupon not available at this time."

I had the same problem... But online it says that the coupon expires on 11/26.

chp said:   Does the Staples website work off of Eastern Time? I tried using the coupon code just after 10pm Pacific and keep receiving "Coupon not available at this time."Yes, it is based on EST. Staples is headquartered in Massachusetts.

Sure would be nice if they mentioned it in the fine print (they mention lots already) or better yet, update the website so it's not on the front page anymore once it's not valid.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014